PDA

View Full Version : Internationals Tonight

AJ
28-03-2002, 12:13 AM
Thought, I would make one thread....

Add to Morrison and Freedman. I see that Jovan started for the USA, with Berhalter on the bench. US 1-0 up in Germany.
Latvia are away at Luxemboug, I presume our 2 boys will be playing.
Finland are away in Portugal. Is Aki playing?

Also, who is Akinbiyi playing for? I do not see a game for Nigeria, who, I though he was playing for.

kramcpfc
28-03-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by AJ
Thought, I would make one thread....

Add to Morrison and Freedman. I see that Jovan started for the USA, with Berhalter on the bench. US 1-0 up in Germany.
Latvia are away at Luxemboug, I presume our 2 boys will be playing.
Finland are away in Portugal. Is Aki playing?

Also, who is Akinbiyi playing for? I do not see a game for Nigeria, who, I though he was playing for. nigeria played last night 1-1 but ade didnt score:rolleyes: morrison doing REALLY well 3 chances in the first 15 minutes:) not sure about aki sorry

AJ
28-03-2002, 12:22 AM
thanks,

Looks like Scotland are in for a beating?

pete eagle
28-03-2002, 12:38 AM
2-0 down last time i saw.

Come on Doug, show Berti what you are made of

Les Butler
28-03-2002, 12:42 AM
1-1 Germans v US

sydney eagle
28-03-2002, 12:44 AM
england game is a bit boring

WorthingEagle
28-03-2002, 12:44 AM
4-0 France. Future looks bright north of the border :D

sexyrazor
28-03-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by kramcpfc
nigeria played last night 1-1 but ade didnt score:rolleyes: morrison doing REALLY well 3 chances in the first 15 minutes:) not sure about aki sorry

Ade didn't play!

pete eagle
28-03-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by WorthingEagle

ooh dear, while i want the Scots to lose, i want Dougie to score so he stays as an international player

AJ
28-03-2002, 01:03 AM
2-0 For Eire, not Clinton though.

Les Butler
28-03-2002, 01:07 AM
Germans up 2-1 USA

Holmesdale Block D
28-03-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by sydney eagle
england game is a bit boring

I disagree, its *****:rolleyes:

sydney eagle
28-03-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Holmesdale Block D

I disagree, its *****:rolleyes: :D :D :D

sydney eagle
28-03-2002, 01:24 AM
FOWLER 1-0

spy
28-03-2002, 01:25 AM
Morrison just scored :D

sydney eagle
28-03-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by spy
Morrison just scored :D yay:p :p :p :p :p

philaire
28-03-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by sydney eagle
FOWLER 1-0 ... what was that again, Syd?

Teaser
28-03-2002, 01:28 AM
Well done Clinton - nice one :p

Gooders
Any advance on £8 million!

Nice one Clinton.

:p

Chantelle
Morrison has scored !!!!:p

sydney eagle
28-03-2002, 01:29 AM
found this funny on the sky sports site

ENGLAND 10 ITALY 0 LATEST
Defences are on top in the friendly between England and Italy at Elland Road. Follow all the action live on Sky Sports 2 or via our special minute-by-minute report

kramcpfc
28-03-2002, 01:30 AM
1-1 now

Dave
Morrison was magnificent

Chantelle
ashley cole!!!:sob:

AJ
28-03-2002, 01:32 AM
Germany cruising now 4-2 up.

sydney eagle
28-03-2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Chantelle
ashley cole!!!:sob: erm??? what about him:confused:

philaire
28-03-2002, 01:35 AM
Forsell for Finland 2-0 v Portugal

AJ
28-03-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Chantelle
ashley cole!!!:sob:

I think you'll find him sitting at home watching the telly. Joe Cole was the hero and villian, not Ashley:D

leekent
28-03-2002, 02:06 AM
Clinton has scored for ireland
details to follow

Lords Eagle
28-03-2002, 02:08 AM
Well done Clint nice finish, but did you see his piece of skill on the right that ended up nutmegging the Danish defender, tremendous.

pete eagle
28-03-2002, 02:12 AM
well done Clint, nice boost for you so you score a hat-trick against Norwich

England lost though

fu***** montella

Jimbo ?
28-03-2002, 02:20 AM
latvia 3-0 any more news ??

WorthingEagle
28-03-2002, 03:53 AM
after seeing the highlights of France v Scotland I think I was unfair on them earlier, France were just incredible, surely the best team in the world.....they would have hammered anyone tonight, including England.

Dougie hauled off after 45 minutes having seemingly failed to make any impact, but he was up against a world class side.

Scoey9000
28-03-2002, 04:44 AM
aki played as finland beat portugal 4-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not sure he finshed the game though as he didn't seem to feature much in the eurosport highlights towards the end of the 2nd half

AJ
28-03-2002, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
latvia 3-0 any more news ??

Rubins got the first on 24 minutes....

Palace 2 Rest of the World ...25:p

cpfcben
28-03-2002, 06:16 AM
no serious injuries from the sounds of it, therefore bring on the norwich
and by the way well done clinton you are a star!!!!

Ruskin Old Boy
28-03-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by WorthingEagle

:D :D :D :D Excellent :p

Lion
28-03-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by AJ

Rubins got the first on 24 minutes....

Palace 2 Rest of the World ...25:p

Except Rubins hardly plays for us - why can he score in an International, and then play ***** for us?

Maybe it's time for another run for him, he should be on a confidence booster after scoring.

Strathclyde Eagle
28-03-2002, 01:06 PM
Had to make a decision last night on which game to tape, ended up picking the Scottish one. D'oh! :(

Nice one Clinton, but no congratulations to Bertie Vogts for playing Dougie on the right-hand side of a three-man forward line. Nice to see someone clearly has less idea than Trevor Francis. :)

No congratulations also to the French coverage, who spent the delay prior to kick-off filming a young girl eating a sandwich. Entralling doesn't even begin to explain it. :D

Feather
28-03-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Lords Eagle
Well done Clint nice finish, but did you see his piece of skill on the right that ended up nutmegging the Danish defender, tremendous.

Agreed, that was class. The Dane didn't have a clue.

NRM the 2nd
28-03-2002, 01:40 PM
That piece of skill has to be number 1 in Soccer AM's show boating slot on Saturday Morning. Well Clinton O you deserved that goal. However a performance like that no doubt alerted a few big clubs that he could be an excellent buy.

JohnA
28-03-2002, 02:55 PM
From the Irish Times:

Duff directs a five-star display
By Emmet Malone at Lansdowne Road

Republic of Ireland 3, Denmark 0: It may be debatable how much store you set in these warm-up friendlies, but as they reflect on another good night at Lansdowne Road, Mick McCarthy and his players will take satisfaction form the ease with which they are coasting through their preparations for this summer's World Cup.

Denmark, without doubt, were disappointing but Ireland's superiority was clearcut throughout and not just on the fringes of the visiting team's area where Jason McAteer, Ireland's central midfielder and, in particular, Damien Duff did more or less as they pleased.

Elsewhere the home side were comfortable, too, and if there was a downside, it was the fact that once again a couple of split seconds of carelessness by Irish defenders might have allowed the opposition to put a very misleading slant on the scoreline.

Fortunately for Ian Harte and Kenny Cunningham, there was the another exemplary performance form an Irish goalkeeper, both of them in fact, for Dean Kiely and Nicky Colgan both produced saves of quality we expect from the rested Shay Given.

By half-time the game might well have been over, for the Danes had started so slowly that they had allowed themselves to be more or less over-run during the opening exchanges.

With Duff in playful mood out on the left flank, and that was where the bulk of their problems originated, they found it hard to deal effectively with McAteer set-pieces, too. Thomas Rytter, in particular, was being given the sort of roasting by Duff that should do wonders for the morale of their group opponents Uruguay and Senegal, not to mention the French.

Duff's efforts came close to setting up Clinton Morrison for his second international goal on a couple of occasions during the opening quarter of an hour while a McAteer free from the other flank provided another opportunity that might have ended up in the back of the net.

The 22-year-old Morrison lacked a bit of good fortune, perhaps, for none of the passes aimed at him quite provided him with the chance to meet the ball without severely altering his stride. The upshot was that none of the attempts on goal produced enough power to seriously test Thomas Sorensen even if the goalkeeper did look a little lucky to prevent one Morrison shot reaching Robbie Keane who was lurking just beside the right hand post. Still, last night Morrison always seemed to be in the right place, a sign of a good striker.

But when the situation required it Sorensen showed that he could produce a decent stop and the Sunderland goalkeeper did very well to keep the ball out when both Harte and Christian Poulsen helped it towards the goal from just five or six yards out after McAteer had floated it in from another set-piece.

However, he was helpless for Harte's opening goal in the 19th minute. The Irish left back easily got ahead of his marker before wrongfooting the goalkeeper with a header into the top right corner after some superb footwork by Duff had tied Martin Laursen up in knots before delivering a tantalising cross.

There was, there seemed, the promise of plenty more to come but with the lead taken, Ireland's game went curiously flat and the visitors finally began to get themselves into the game.

With less pressure on their midfield to retreat the 4-3-3 formation fielded by Morten Olsen started to assume its proper shape and suddenly there were the first hints that the Danes might pose an attacking threat of their own if given any sort of chance to run at McCarthy's back four.

As it turned out they rarely produced much more than half chances with the exception of Dennis Rommedahl, who produced a powerfully struck shot from a tight angle. Dean Kiely saved well and the attempts at a follow-up were quickly smothered but Harte's initial error in allowing his opponent to get behind him was another example of a dangerous weakness all too regularly exposed.

None of which seemed to matter so much after Robbie Keane, for a second successive month, had ensured the win by doubling Ireland's lead in the 54th minute. It was a peach of a goal too; Staunton's quickly taken short free-kick apparently catching the Danes off guard before the Leeds striker sent the ball curling into the top right-hand corner of the net from 25 yards out. It was his 10th goal in 31 appearances.

With the game in the bag McCarthy opted to give Colin Healy another chance to impress and a couple of minutes later Nicky Colgan was given his senior debut while Steven Reid was brought on for McAteer. None disappointed with Colgan making enough contact with the ball at the feet of Ebbe Sand's feet to force the striker into knocking the ball out of play after a terrible error by Cunningham had left his goalkeeper one-on-one with the leading European scorer in the recent World Cup qualifying campaign. Healy then marked his own arrival with a sudden burst of speed in midfield followed by a clever through ball that almost sent Morrison clear at the other end.

With the game moving into injury time the young Corkman again underlined his potential by playing a key role in the third before David Connolly played Morrison in beyond the last defender for a deserved strike that capped a great night for the Crystal Palace player.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND: Kiely (Charlton) (Colgan (Hibernian, 66 mins); Kelly (Leeds), Cunningham (Wimbledon), Staunton (Aston Villa), Harte (Leeds); McAteer (Sunderland) (Reid (Millwall), 66), Kinsella (Charlton) (Healy (Coventry), 64 mins), Holland (Ipswich), Duff (Blackburn) (Dunne (Manchester City) 85); Morrison (Crystal Palace), Robbie Keane (Leeds) (Connolly (Wimbledon, 76).

DENMARK: Sorensen (Kjaer, halt-time); Rytter, Laursen, Henriksen, Heintze (Jensen, 81 mins); Poulsen, BS Nielsen, A Nielsen (Madsen, half-time); Rommedahl (Lovenkrands, 68 mins), Sand, Gronkjaer.

Referee: B Lawlor (Wales).

Republic of Ireland ... 3

Denmark ... 0

JohnA
28-03-2002, 03:00 PM
More from the Irish Times....

McCarthy steps lightly towards the East
Manager's quotes by Tom Humphries

Springtime and there is an appropriate lightness in Mick McCarthy's step as he turns towards the east.

His team make no claims to being world-beaters but they have a pattern, a solid record and an aura of constant growth around them. Last night they found themselves in the surprisingly low-voltage company of the Danes and dispatched them with three goals, each of which was an aesthetic pleasure in its own way. Happy the side which can afford such luxury.

Afterwards McCarthy came to the familiar precinct of the bandroom and whistled a happy tune. Why not? The work is progressing nicely and his most pressing headache right now is whether to infuse his side with more lithe youth or to stick with older more stolid talents. Lee Carsley or Colin Healy and so on.

"It was a convincing three-nil win," he said, "fully deserved, a good team performance. Good goals. I'm delighted with Robbie and Clinton. People have been making a bit about Robbie not scoring, you know he plays well but failed to score sort of thing.

"So I'm glad he got what he deserved. Clinton had a terrific game, but if at the end he hadn't scored there'd be a question mark. So it was terrific. I'm delighted for the two of them."

And Keane and Morrison sitting either side of their manager beamed down on us, a goofy trinity of smiles.

There is a sweet precocity at the edge of Irish performances these days. Damien Duff has shed the early tentativeness which he wore along with his green jersey and now he gambols happily among the switch blade tackles.

Clinton Morrison has brought a happy coiled energy to the business end of the field and both Colin Healy and Steven Reid look like men about to rapidly ascend a great hill.

Duff, having established credentials as a striker, will have severely discomfited Kevin Kilbane last night with his impossibly fluent display down the left wing.

Robbie Keane rated Duff along with the Giggs' and the Kewells'. McCarthy, from whom such compliments flow easily, has to worry only about how to use Duff in the near future.

"Players come and do well in various positions. Damien has been excellent up front. Tonight he was outstanding on the left and Robbie and Clinton were good tonight. I have to consider it. Duffer's performacne tonight was excellent. Quinny sitting on the bench said he was the first player to win man of match after three minutes. Terrific.

"I suppose it means that Damien won't be a surprise package in Japan . They paid arttention to him this evening, but he was still unstoppable. If you leave him one versus one he'll kill you, he can do damage anyway. We keep saying on the bench give it to Duffer and he's knackered.!"

And Colin Healy. Surely cancelling any other plans he had for the summer? McCarthy's verdict was short and sweet.

"Colin has impressed me from the day he walked into training for the last game."

What of Robbie Keane We came to Lansdowne last night expecting to see him grown lardy and slow from weeks of redundancy at Leeds. Instead he had the pace and confidence and trickery which first caught our eye a couple of years ago.

Perhaps McCarthy's claim that Keane's unemployed status might be no harm for Ireland's chances suddenly didn't look so far fetched.

"Quinny sitting on the bench said he was the first player to win man of match after three minutes. Terrific."

- McCarthy on Duff

"The team created chances for the two lads up front and they worked hard at the end of them. It was a it of a surprise when Robbie unleashed that bomb. I didn't want him to have another night where the verdict is he played well but didn't score.

"These guys, Clinton and Robbie, they are strikers, they thrive on scoring, so when they score I'm happy."

The centre of defence may not yet have acquired the necessary blue-chip reliability, but there is a sense that last night's partnership might be the one McCarthy goes to war with. Staunton and Cunningham want for swiftness but so do the rest of the contenders. Wisdom may be our best option.

Last night, though, was no evening for testing the outer limits of our defensive capabilities. The Danes seemed oddly dulled.

"If Denmark were disappointing it's because of the performance of my team." said McCarthy. "I deal with how we played. We made a tough looking game not quite so difficult. I was pleased with us. Not worried about the Danes"

You think all this and Roy Keane, too. In reality the arguments about the panel are almost over. McCarthy says the men he brings with him to Sunderland in May will be the ones he will bring to Japan.

So the game against the US next month is the final chance for fringe talent . Mick McCarthy doesn't look like a man who'll be doing too much tossing and turning between now and then.

brighton_eagle
28-03-2002, 03:13 PM
Excellent!!! Well done Clint....we're proud of you.

Batsta
28-03-2002, 03:21 PM
Clinton was class lastnight. i found myself cheering him on and i was over the moon when he scored.

I think this thread shows you how much the palace fans love clint. And we are all very proud. I just hope clint wears the red and blue next season, and if he doesnt i wish him all the best.:)

bucketbongeagle
28-03-2002, 03:34 PM
As above, hope he gets a few games in the World cup, hopefully he will still be a Palace player.

Levski
28-03-2002, 03:37 PM
Clint's chances of getting a game in the World Cup look a lot brighter.
He may even start one now, and will almost certainly come off the bench. Go on, my son.

congress
28-03-2002, 04:01 PM
I have not seen Clintons piece of skill on the televison but Mick McCarthy said in an interview after that the whole of the Irish bench had done their ligaments just watching him do it. :)

PeterH
28-03-2002, 04:26 PM
Absolute tops, now lets get into the Premiership so we can keep him. Looks like hes even proving the doubters wrong on here, or they have just shut up for a while.

Dont get ripped off if we sell him, Crouch went for £5m+ and he certainly isnt close to Clintons level. Any bidding should start at £8m and I agree with a poster on another thread, perhaps £10m is a true value.

The Germany/USA game is on after Midnight tonight on CH5.

Interesting Portugal getting stuffed without Figo, one man team and dont beleive the hype. Scotlabd are really poor, even Hansen was in despair last night at parks level, although Gary cut him off with a classic Whatever. France looked class, we got to get above Argentina in our group. Spain weren't all that and obviously Denmark flatter to deceive.

How good are Sweden that is the key.

Ruskin Old Boy
28-03-2002, 05:37 PM
Part of the report from the Scotsman:

PERHAPS the skirl of the pipes, with its undertones of Ladies From Hell, would have had a more intimidating effect on the French than Berti Vogtsís first Scotland selection at the Stade de France in Paris last night.

Predictably outplayed and comprehensively battered during a first half of breathtaking menace and ruthless execution, the Scots at least allowed Vogts to discover more about them than he would about the home side, thereby making the point of the outing.

Vogts would return to Glasgow after with a sobering insight into the level of mediocrity he must now address even allowing for the fact that they were turned over by the formidable country on the planet.

In the end the number of goals was almost an irrelevance. What mattered was the discouraging evidence of a Scottish team that looks impossible to improve. By the time substitute Steve Marlet scored the fifth, the visiting supporters were, as usual, reduced to chanting defiant sarcasms rather than hymns of acclaim.

To the grizzled chronicler accustomed over a period of decades to observing sporting contests in a bilateral context, this intriguing exercise offered a singular opportunity to deliver judgments which would, of necessity, be premeditatedly slanted.

How Scotland performed under the influence of their new manager was to be the only imperative, leaving the French to their own devices. After all, with the world and European championship trophies already vying for space in the Louvre with the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo, Roger Lemerreís celebrated players were never likely to be troubled by a temporary cold-shouldering from a Scottish correspondent.

The problem with this pre-planned strategy, of course, is that when Zidane and the gang go to work, their play is so mesmeric that it draws the attention from everyone else. From the moment the incomparable Real Madrid midfielder porduced the first of a series of astonishing goals, the Scots would be assured of a role so secondary that that it was out of sight.

The fixture had seemed from the time it was contracted to be no proper gauge by which to measure the impact of Vogts - especially so soon after his appointment - but even those of us who had approached it in the certainty that it would yield nothing but a hard time were agape at quickness and deadliness with which they ensured that the Scotsí rebirth would have to take place on another night elsewhere.

bucketbongeagle
28-03-2002, 07:10 PM
Yeah France looked absolutely superb, I know it was only Scotland but how often have England played average to poor opposition and struggled ? Having said that I think if France have a weekness it's got to be the defence and that clown Barthez. Didn't see the Doug once on the highlights BTW.

Daddy Long
28-03-2002, 07:22 PM
Watched the whole Ireland game last night and Clinton did himself and us proud. He missed a couple of opportunities early doors but never let his head drop (not that he ever does) and got his just reward with a typical Clinton falling-over-finish at the end. Some of his hold up play and passing was what we have come to expect from Clint - superb. I was so happy for him when he scored and must admit that I did jump up with clenched fist and give it the "Yeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss come on my son" I can't wait to watch him cover himself with glory in the World Cup - he will do if he gets the games. I would say that he is firmly entrenched as Ireland's number 3 striker at the moment as McCarthy will probably prefer Quinn and Keane upfront with Duff (who was excellent) on the left leaving Clint ahead of Squatter Connolly in the pecking order. But he will only need one chance and I'm confident that he'll take it.