PDA

View Full Version : Steve Kabba to Luton

pete eagle
29-03-2002, 12:10 AM
Joe Kinnear has signed Crystal Palace's Steven Kabba on loan until the end of the season, and the youngster could make his debut on Saturday.
Kinnear had said he did not expect to make any additions to his squad on transfer deadline day, but has loaned 21-year-old midfielder until the end of the campaign.
The Luton manager could hand Kabba, who has scored 14 times for Palace's reserve side this season, a permanent deal in the summer.
Kabba, who also spent a spell on loan at Southend United at the start of last season, is in the squad to face Swansea on Saturday.

Source: Teamtalk

I was surprised by this

cumbrian_eagles
29-03-2002, 12:15 AM
I would like to see him play for palace again, i don't think he should stay there after the loan period. IMHO he could go on to be a first team player.

Popester
29-03-2002, 12:34 AM
I hope that this is just a way of giving him experience. I think he looks very promising, and Mr Kinnear - generally a good judge of players - obviously does as well.

Good luck Steve

Jimbo ?
29-03-2002, 04:24 AM
I fear he may follow the others out the door in the not to distant future
experience will be good for him though

Latvian Eagle
29-03-2002, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by pete eagle
Joe Kinnear has signed Crystal Palace's Steven Kabba on loan until the end of the season, and the youngster could make his debut on Saturday.
Kinnear had said he did not expect to make any additions to his squad on transfer deadline day, but has loaned 21-year-old midfielder until the end of the campaign.
The Luton manager could hand Kabba, who has scored 14 times for Palace's reserve side this season, a permanent deal in the summer.
Kabba, who also spent a spell on loan at Southend United at the start of last season, is in the squad to face Swansea on Saturday.

Source: Teamtalk

I was surprised by this

Typical team talk:
a. He's not a midfielder he's a forward
b. spent about a day in Southend of a three month loan which fell through because neither Kabba or Dsane had anywhere to live.

I find it surprising some of you rate Steve so high. Not meaning to be harsh but I am one of those who thinks if he's going to be a first teamer at Palace he better damn play well if he's given another opportunity because his current appearances have been rather disappointing, considering his form over the past two seasons in the reserves.

1st game was Crewe, got injured after 20 minutes, tried to hide it, Coppell found out, and was deservedly dropped into youth/reserve obscurity for his stupidity.

2nd game was Trannie in the cup. Did nothing. Scored that penalty and ran around like we'd won the cup.

3rd game I believe was Wolves last season. Plenty of running, nothing of note to say.

4th game was Man City. I was shocked by some people saying he done well. He looked lazy, and from someone who had come on as a sub I felt he could have tried a bit harder.

5th game was Birmingham, very frustrating, just how Akinbiyi was in his first couple of games. Lack of control, lack of strength, lack of finish.

Beanie
29-03-2002, 01:56 PM
I'm not surprised by this - and doubt he'll be back. Steve Kabba has for sometime looked a promising player, but like several of the others who have gone recently he should have been delivering not promising by now. How long can you be "promising"? I wish him well, but think it's "good bye". Time for Routledge and Winothai to take on the role of "promising strikers" now.

Latvian Eagle
29-03-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Time for Routledge and Winothai to take on the role of "promising strikers" now.

:eek: What about Gareth Williams?

Boris the charltonhater
29-03-2002, 05:09 PM
I'm assuming Luton are planning on making a bid for him in the summer as they are very nearly promoted but have no chance of winning the division so it's not about trying to gain extra points for league position.

I wish him well, he was never going to get another chance after we brought Akinbiyi. I'll never forget the look on his face after scoring that penalty.

Son of Shacker
29-03-2002, 05:12 PM
Kabba's 21 now. He's been a promising striker for a couple of years and has not made the grade. If he was ever going to make it at Palace he would have done it by now. Maybe as with Claridge, Collymore and Ndah (to a lesser extent) he will come back and haunt us in the future. For now hie future lies away from SE25 so good luck.

CPFC Cheerleader Observer
29-03-2002, 06:15 PM
Yep, I feel that his time at Palace was up really and there was no point in keeping him as he wasnt going to be used.

I wish him well.

:)

29-03-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle

:eek: What about Gareth Williams?

Having watched him in numerous Academy U19, Reserve Combination and Cup games, believe Gareth has the better temperament and finishing qualities. His goals to games ratio is almost twice that of Kabba. He has also shown his ability to raise his game and score at international level for the Welsh U21 team. Wish Steve every success for the future.

03-04-2002, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle

5th game was Birmingham, very frustrating, just how Akinbiyi was in his first couple of games. Lack of control, lack of strength, lack of finish.

Makes you think. We paid 2.2million for Akinbiyi and weve got a player of equal quality here for free and hes got more potential. If managers who chose to ignore the excellent youth here we are losing out big time.

Ouch that Hurt!
04-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Got this sent from a mate who supports Luton. Apparently Kabba has already been a sub in the first team and scored in the reserves, and with Luton already promoted from the 3rd, it could be a good move for him.

http://www.lutontown.co.uk/team/view/featured_player/0,,10372,00.html

kolinkins
06-04-2002, 03:59 PM
had his chance to impress sir steve, AS, SB and TF, not to mention SK and TB. hasnt done it, so obviously time to move on

Sir.S.C Remembered
23-04-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by cumbrian_eagles
I would like to see him play for palace again, i don't think he should stay there after the loan period. IMHO he could go on to be a first team player.

HAHAHA, he's nothing, terrible control, lightweight and terrible touch or anything with his feet and positioning etc not good either and small

Then again this is what Villa used to say about Vassell

RealMadridEagle
24-04-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
and small

I hope you realise he's the same height as Clinton and about 10lbs heavier.

24-04-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by RealMadridEagle

I hope you realise he's the same height as Clinton and about 10lbs heavier.

With respect, your assertion may be only half right according to Rothmans Football Year Book for 2001-2002. Clinton's vital statistics are given there as:- Height: 6ft. 1in; Weight: 11st. 02lbs; whereas Steve's are shown as: Height: 5ft. 10ins; Weight: 11.12lbs. Of course, all footballers' statistics, including dates of birth should be taken with the following major health warning: (a) they may have been accurate only at the time when they first signed professional forms at the age of 17, and/or (b) they may have subsequently been doctored by agents, clubs or players themselves for their own particular reasons.

Whilst wishing Kabba all the best at Luton, or wherever he continues his professional career, I do think, having seen both players in action several times at Reserve level this season, that Gareth Williams is the striker most likely to score goals consistently at First Division or higher level. Indeed he achieved Welsh U21 recognition earlier this season and scored in his first International. Gareth has outperformed Steve in the Reserves this season with 18 League and Cup goals, against 10 for Steve, having had far fewer starts. He also notched 3 goals for the U19's. Hopefully, Gareth will be a strong contender for a place in the First team squad if he continues to work hard at his game.

arussell
24-04-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by freddykurz
Hopefully, Gareth will be a strong contender for a place in the First team squad if he continues to work hard at his game.

Agreed Freddy. I've been very impressed with Gareth's progress so far and am hoping he'll be the next, out of the players left, to make the breakthrough (along with Antwi).

We've had good youngsters in the past that have not been given a chance, but with all the uncertainty in football finance right now, this is the time to progress them when they're ready.