PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's gone back!

Martin H
04-04-2002, 10:49 PM
I know that we are out fo the race but I didn't expect us to send him back. Does this mean we won't be trying to sign him?

Defender Shaun Murphy has returned to Sheffield United after spending two months on loan with the Eagles.

During his time at the Club Murphy played eleven games and the Aussie international impressed with a number of committed displays.

Shaun Murphy's career details with Crystal Palace are as follows:

Played 11, Won three, Drawn three, Lost five, Goals for 12, Goals against 14.

BVB Bob
04-04-2002, 10:52 PM
Always thought he was - loan period was due to expire start of April so guess this must be now. On a free in the summer so no doubt we'll go back if we want him then. Nothing to play for now so good chance to blood a few youngsters.

Martin H
04-04-2002, 10:56 PM
I had thought we would extend the loan with the injuries both for cover and to see him alongside Popovic or Symons. The latter is ruled out now.

Not sure who we are going to play alongside Austin besides Mullins with the injuries we've got.

I thought that by extending his loan we would guarantee first crack at his transfer too.

pete eagle
04-04-2002, 11:11 PM
With Popovic coming back, Murphy isn't needed and I don't think he should come back.

ozeagle
04-04-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
With Popovic coming back, Murphy isn't needed and I don't think he should come back.
Pete, you must be kidding me, the only tall we have !! A must for next season. He nuts EVERYTHING !!!!

GO THE AUSSIE !

:p

pete eagle
04-04-2002, 11:26 PM
unfortunately he isn't very clever on the floor, either when defending or when passing.

Add to that the fact that he is the wrong side of 30 and I'd much prefer to see a younger defender who we can build around for the next few seasons

ammiller
04-04-2002, 11:31 PM
I think you'll find it's only Man Utd who can extend loan signings after transfer deadline day.....

Just a (bitter) thought..

Gooders
04-04-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by ammiller
I think you'll find it's only Man Utd who can extend loan signings after transfer deadline day.....

Ain't that the truth.

:sob:

AJ
05-04-2002, 01:35 AM

NO, you just have to get League approval....ok, so, just MU then.

Walrus
05-04-2002, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by pete eagle
unfortunately he isn't very clever on the floor, either when defending or when passing.

Add to that the fact that he is the wrong side of 30 and I'd much prefer to see a younger defender who we can build around for the next few seasons

For the likely wage outlay I'd snap Murphy up like a shot. In a fully fit lineup he'd get on the bench as first reserve centre half, and could probably play in the reserves alongside some of our emerging talent and help bring them on.

Please SJ, go get him :p

Lords Eagle
05-04-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Walrus

For the likely wage outlay I'd snap Murphy up like a shot. In a fully fit lineup he'd get on the bench as first reserve centre half, and could probably play in the reserves alongside some of our emerging talent and help bring them on.

Agree 100% Walrus, a good squad player bringing experience to pass on to the younger players, and he'd still be able to hold his own if called on in case of injury.

BUNGLE
05-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Not really botherd if we sign Murphy but if it means getting rid of Austin the sooner the better.

Benzhiyi
05-04-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
Not really botherd if we sign Murphy but if it means getting rid of Austin the sooner the better.

Why?! Austin has been far better than Murphy over the last ten games.

Top Dog
05-04-2002, 05:27 PM
Surely that's exactly what it would mean, and therefore we must do it!

Have just seen the Norwich goals and both of them were Austin's fault.

I know he tries really hard and I do have a lot of respect for his attitude, but he's never been good enough and never will be.

We should give him a free at the end of the season, and bring Murphy in on one.

A nice little piece of trade.

Ralph
05-04-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Walrus

In a fully fit lineup he'd get on the bench as first reserve centre half, and could probably play in the reserves alongside some of our emerging talent and help bring them on.

Thy is is probably why HE wont join US!!!

Daddy Long
05-04-2002, 06:52 PM
I think the main stumbling block is that with both Popeye and Murphy being Aussie internationals we could lose them both for extended periods. Popovic is the better player and so I would look around for a cheap youngster to fill the position on the bench. Pity we released Woozely.

Jimbo ?
06-04-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by BVB Bob
Always thought he was - loan period was due to expire start of April so guess this must be now. On a free in the summer so no doubt we'll go back if we want him then. Nothing to play for now so good chance to blood a few youngsters.

hope he returns as he is a good player and could make a good partnership with symons and poppy !!!

Sleeping Giant
06-04-2002, 02:37 AM
I want Murphy he's been excellent. Our problem has long been high balls into the box, they terrify me and most of the central defenders in recent years....Austin, Berhalter, Mullins, Fan etc I would be satisfied with our quality and back-up with him in the squad although international commitments could be a problem.

Jimbo ?
06-04-2002, 02:43 AM
Internationals would be the only problem but if we had games called off or had cover in the squad he would be a must - fan and Berhalter were the same

Beanie
06-04-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
I think the main stumbling block is that with both Popeye and Murphy being Aussie internationals we could lose them both for extended periods. Popovic is the better player and so I would look around for a cheap youngster to fill the position on the bench. Pity we released Woozely.

Aussie Internationals are held on the same dates as UEFA internationals and there is a move to have global international dates after the world cup - if they can sort out south America who have that huge league to qualify. IF Popovic and Murphy did have so be away so would people like Aki, Dougie, Clinton, Kit, Aleks and possibly Ade. Some of younger player would be in the age group games so the odds are that the matches would be called off any way. That's without the possibility of the opposition loosing players as well.

No problem.

Boris the charltonhater
08-04-2002, 08:59 PM

If you can think of a highly original excuse anyone can do deal after transfer deadline day as Rotherham proved with their 'broken fax machine' excuse.

pedro
09-04-2002, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Boris

If you can think of a highly original excuse anyone can do deal after transfer deadline day as Rotherham proved with their 'broken fax machine' excuse.

It was the F.A whose fax was playing up, not Rotherham, that is why they finally rubber stamped the deal as Rotherham were able to prove they sent the fax at 4.50pm.

Benzhiyi
09-04-2002, 03:13 PM
Just noticed that Murphy started on Saturday as United beat Watford 3-0... could this mean he has solved his rift with the club? :eek: :sob:

Beanie
09-04-2002, 04:19 PM
According to that well known and reliable source of information "TeamTalk" Palace Assistant Manager Terry Bullivant :rolleyes: has confirmed that Palace are looking to sign Murphy when the season is over (which I would assume means "when he's free").

Remember - this is from TeamTalk:clown:

David of Kent
09-04-2002, 04:27 PM
Don't know why you lot all seem to think he's available on a free.

He definitely is not as he signed a three year contract at Sheffield United around 15 months ago. He would only be available to join us on a free if Sheffield were so p!ssed off with him that they let him have one (not likely as they are playing him again now).

When we originally got him it was on the basis of loan with a view to 500,000 purchase. I would have thought that is still the price if we want him.

Now if he's worth that or not is another question altogether, but please please stop going on about picking him up for nothing when we're not.

Cheers :p

fieldy
09-04-2002, 04:37 PM
I read this morning that he has over a year of his contract left and has gone back because now we are out of the playoffs we wanted him off the wage bill! He himself was quoted as saying that he was told by Palace that we may be back in the summer to sort something out but only maybe, he didn't expect anything to happen now and is disappointed as he has settled in well with us and wanted to stay. He was also in the News of the World first division team of the day for Sheff Utd on Sunday!

Beanie
09-04-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by David of Kent
Don't know why you lot all seem to think he's available on a free.

He definitely is not as he signed a three year contract at Sheffield United around 15 months ago. He would only be available to join us on a free if Sheffield were so p!ssed off with him that they let him have one (not likely as they are playing him again now).

When we originally got him it was on the basis of loan with a view to 500,000 purchase. I would have thought that is still the price if we want him.

Now if he's worth that or not is another question altogether, but please please stop going on about picking him up for nothing when we're not.

Cheers :p

It was my understanding that the source of the friction at Sheff Utd was that he wouldn't sign a new contract. The original 500k was a cut price because of that. This was certainly in the press at the time we took him on loan, and was supposed to be the reason (also according to the press) that Sheff Utd tried for 250k a bit later. A lot of people seem to have the same impression. Isn't there a list on some site of out of contract players?

Boris the charltonhater
09-04-2002, 08:53 PM
What I heard is that the Sheffield United chairmen is a bit like Simon Jordan in that if he has an argument with a player (i.e. Murphy) he ust cancels their contract. Therefore if Murphy's contract has or will be cancelled then he is available on a free.

philaire
10-04-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
I think the main stumbling block is that with both Popeye and Murphy being Aussie internationals we could lose them both for extended periods. Not likely over the next 2-3 years while the Aussie national team goes into its usual post-WC hibernation.

GreatGonzo
10-04-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Top Dog

Have just seen the Norwich goals and both of them were Austin's fault.

Correct me if i am wrong but was it not Murphy that was pissing about with the ball on the halfway line?
Then not having the speed to get back and Austin and Mullins were left trying to cover 3 attacking players?

Just thats how i seem to remember it

David of Kent
10-04-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Beanie

It was my understanding that the source of the friction at Sheff Utd was that he wouldn't sign a new contract. The original 500k was a cut price because of that. This was certainly in the press at the time we took him on loan, and was supposed to be the reason (also according to the press) that Sheff Utd tried for 250k a bit later. A lot of people seem to have the same impression. Isn't there a list on some site of out of contract players?

There was a list posted on the BBS which'll probably be under the Transfer Hotline forum in "around" February.

(The link is here)
http://www.footballtransfers.net/bosman0102.shtml

And "NO" he's not on there because he is under contract for at least another year and a half.

pedro
23-04-2002, 06:48 PM
According to the paper Murphy has now signed a one year extension to his contract with Sheff Utd so that should put to bed any rumours about him joining Palace in the summer. (which is a shame)