PDA

View Full Version : Dougie's fed up


Vince Hilaire's Afro
05-04-2002, 03:43 PM
Sorry if this has been said somewhere else before, but I have been up in scotland for the last week and have no idea what's been going on down here.

While I was up in Scotland, I was reading the Daily Record, and was surprised to see a story about our own Dougie Freedman in there. The basic gist of it was that if we fail to go up (well it was "if" at the time of the story) Dougie would be worried about being forgotten about by Bernie Vogts for the Scotland national team.

He described the last few months at Palace as a "nightmare" as the team had struggled with formations and fallen down the league, and the story alluded to a possible 1.5m quid move to Spurs in the summer. He said Palace were trying to offer him new terms but he wasn't prepared to sign.

Sorry if this is old news, but I thought I'd post it just in case.

:afro:

Skin Up
05-04-2002, 03:51 PM
Wonder why the English press have ignored this story?

jrnicholson
05-04-2002, 03:53 PM
Because Palace aren't a Premiership club?

Beanie
05-04-2002, 04:00 PM
Because it's made up?

I read a bit somewhere that Dougie is perfectly happy, enjoying himself at Palace etc.

I've long since given up trying to guess which members of the press are making it all up based on half an off the cuff comment (or less) and which actually do the job properly. Personally I think that 95% are in the first group.

Either story could be true - but I can't get worked up about newspaper reports any more.

bucketbongeagle
05-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Nooooo I think if we were to sell Clint for 5m + then fair enough we could probably survive it and strengthen our squad but losing Dougie as well for a poulty 1.5m would be a disaster, where would we get a 40 goal + partnership from for 6-7 m ?

Cleon
05-04-2002, 04:14 PM
There isn no question that Dougie is less happy now than he has been in the last year, but that is for the obvious reasons that he is being moved from pillar to post by the tactical genius in charge of Crystal Palace FC.

However, he has also moved on for similar reasons before, and it never worked out for him. He knows at Crystal Palace he will always be a fans favourite, rather than booed as he was at Forest. He also is reported to be one of Jordan's favourites as well, and I can't see us selling him for less than 2m, and I can't see any other team offering more than 2m for a 27 year old player that has failed at all clubs with the exception of Palace (ignoring Barnet).

Perhaps, if Jordan persists with Francis, Dougie may grow restless, but that won't be until well into next season. And there is no chance of him going to Scotland - he need not worry, as there are no other Scottish strikers that would displace him. I was reliably informed by a fan of Scottish football (and a Scotsman), that Scotland strikers are simply rubbish.

PeterH
05-04-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
Because it's made up?

Yep and if they can help unsettle a player it creates more column inches and perhaps actual news rather than made up rubbish. He didnt get his Scotland chances with Wolves or Forest, and being in the starting eleven hardly speaks of someone likely to be overlooked.

Perhaps the nationalistic press only think Scots are good enough if they play for one of the tin pot sides north of the border. Tw@ts.

It wasn't me!
05-04-2002, 04:21 PM
Well I believe the story!!! And who can blame him for not being happy!

On Monday he didn't even come in the players lounge, he phoned his wife and told her to meet him at the car! He wasn't a happy chappy!

Also it's not the first time I've heard something about Dougie leaving in the summer. ;)

Merton Eagle
05-04-2002, 04:28 PM
Sorry but if I were 30, in Doug's shoes not only would I have the quickest feet around but if Spurs came into offer me a deal I'd take it.

Strathclyde Eagle
05-04-2002, 04:31 PM
Daily Record = Rubbish paper

I won't ever waste my money on it. The only thing ever worth reading are Tam Cowan's columns, and that's it.

PeterH is right - it is a nationalistic, rubbish newspaper. Dougie shouldn't get too friendly with them either, seeing as they awarded him 3/10 for his recent performance in Paris.

BTW there's no chance of a Scottish club signing him IMHO. He'd be way down the pecking order at either of the Old Firm clubs and no other club would be able to afford his wages.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
05-04-2002, 04:42 PM
I agree with most of what u said Strathclyde Eagle, but I think Dougie has the ability to play for a top Scottish club. Agreed, Rangers probably wouldn't need him, but watching Celtic this season it's plain they need a creative attacker to support Larsson. Moravcik has been the main man in this role so far, but he can barely get through a game these days. The current problems that the SPL are having attracting a TV deal means that even the Old Firm clubs might have to tighten their belts significantly. I mean - even Jon Hartson has been a regular for Celtic this season and he can barely run.

Strathclyde Eagle
05-04-2002, 04:46 PM
I also agree that Dougie could play for either of them. However their fans demand big money buys from big clubs and fortunately (or not, depending upon your point of view) I don't think Dougie would meet their expectations.

LLCOOLSTEVE
05-04-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!
Well I believe the story!!! And who can blame him for not being happy!

On Monday he didn't even come in the players lounge, he phoned his wife and told her to meet him at the car! He wasn't a happy chappy!


So????!!!!!!!! a Family member of Dougie's had just got engaged and they were all going out for dinner that night and he had to rush off..........! :)

(had a plane to catch)

Latvian Eagle
05-04-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE


So???? a Family member of Dougie's had just got engaged and they were all going out for dinner that night and he had to rush off..........! :)

I saw him after the game. Some annoying old git kept pestering him. Twas funny. Looked like he wanted to go home with him :D

Beanie
05-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Merton Eagle
Sorry but if I were 30, in Doug's shoes not only would I have the quickest feet around but if Spurs came into offer me a deal I'd take it.

Take your point - and very true. The key word is "IF".

But if he's really worried about Vogts - for whom he started in the first side he picked - where will be spotted most? The pitch at Palace or the bench at White Hart Lane? An offer of 1.5m would hardly make it look as if Spurs want him playing each week! I'd also think that a club would have to double that to entice Jordan to consider selling Dougie any way.

Big Bird
05-04-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!
Well I believe the story!!! And who can blame him for not being happy!

On Monday he didn't even come in the players lounge, he phoned his wife and told her to meet him at the car! He wasn't a happy chappy!

Also it's not the first time I've heard something about Dougie leaving in the summer. ;)

Rubbish Dougie and his wife and son had a plane to catch too Glasgow, he was flying up from Stansted to see his Mum and Dad as it was the Easter Holiday also his mum has recently had a major operation.

He loves Palace,
he has brought a house in the local area has just spent a fortune on renovating it and is looking forward to adding to his family.
Admitted he is miffed by the changes to the formation and sometimes had to play in three different positions in one game which is frustrating when you are a creative player and excellent goal poacher. Dougie has matured a lot since he last played for Palace and when Alan Smith came in for him at Forest he was prepared to WALK DOWN THE M1 to come back to Palace he reagards it as home and loves the fans as much as they love him.
He will be in the Scotland set up how can you dismiss a 20 odd goal scorer when you have not got much to choose from on the forward line for Scotland.
I can assure you that when asked by Simon Jordon what his future plans are when his career as a footballer finish his answer was I WILL BE THE MANAGER OF CRYSTAL PALACE F.C..

:p

Cleon
05-04-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Big Bird
I can assure you that when asked by Simon Jordon what his future plans are when his career as a footballer finish his answer was I WILL BE THE MANAGER OF CRYSTAL PALACE F.C.

What a fantastic idea. Get him in now!

05-04-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Merton Eagle
Sorry but if I were 30, in Doug's shoes not only would I have the quickest feet around but if Spurs came into offer me a deal I'd take it.
What on earth makes you think Dougie is 30? Every source I have checked, including CPFC, gives his date of birth as the 2lst of January, 1974, which makes him 28. He still has at least 2 years on his contract, meaning he isn't a free agent anyway. Why should he want to move? He is in the best scoring form of his professional career with Palace, has fought his way into the Scottish squad, and if Palace can strengthen their midfield this summer, has every chance of scoring even more goals next season. Why do so many "Palace supporters" continually give credence to the random speculations of the gutter press? Few, if any, of their reporters have the slightest interest in the well-being of our Club and, as they have consistently demonstrated over the years, will print all the garbage imaginable simply in order to sell newspapers.

Big Bird
06-04-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by freddykurz

What on earth makes you think Dougie is 30? Every source I have checked, including CPFC, gives his date of birth as the 2lst of January, 1974, which makes him 28. He still has at least 2 years on his contract, meaning he isn't a free agent anyway. Why should he want to move? He is in the best scoring form of his professional career with Palace, has fought his way into the Scottish squad, and if Palace can strengthen their midfield this summer, has every chance of scoring even more goals next season. Why do so many "Palace supporters" continually give credence to the random speculations of the gutter press? Few, if any, of their reporters have the slightest interest in the well-being of our Club and, as they have consistently demonstrated over the years, will print all the garbage imaginable simply in order to sell newspapers.

Dougies birthday for those who are interested is actually on May 25th and he is 28 this year.
I know because he shares the same birthday as my daughter and we have had the pleasure of enjoying several birthday meals with the great dougie and his family believe me I know I am right on this one and the programme dept are wrong. :p

Gavin Axten
06-04-2002, 01:20 AM
Its very strange how some people have short memories!!! I posted that Dougie was not getting on with the manager when I heard he was dropped for the Walsall game and quite a few people said it was not a bad thing as he was not playing very well. The reason for his dip in form and probably most of the team???? Nothing to do with Mr.Francis then. Never mind it was just the kick up the arse he needs to get him playing well again as some people said :rolleyes:

06-04-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Big Bird


Dougies birthday for those who are interested is actually on May 25th and he is 28 this year.
I know because he shares the same birthday as my daughter and we have had the pleasure of enjoying several birthday meals with the great dougie and his family believe me I know I am right on this one and the programme dept are wrong. :p

Like it or not, but Dougie Freedman's date of birth is given as 21st January, 1974, not only in this season's Crystal Palace Official Match Programme, but in the following publications: "The Official P.F.A. Footballer's Fact File for 1995-96", "Playfair Football Who's Who 2000",
and the Footballer's "Bible" a.k.a. "Rothmans Football Yearbook 2001-2002".

Jimbo ?
06-04-2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Beanie
Because it's made up?



maybe - but would you blame him!!!????

LLCOOLSTEVE
06-04-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by freddykurz


Like it or not, but Dougie Freedman's date of birth is given as 21st January, 1974, not only in this season's Crystal Palace Official Match Programme, but in the following publications: "The Official P.F.A. Footballer's Fact File for 1995-96", "Playfair Football Who's Who 2000",
and the Footballer's "Bible" a.k.a. "Rothmans Football Yearbook 2001-2002".


Oooooh they must be right then...........! :rolleyes:

palacejock
07-04-2002, 03:02 AM
Bloody hell - all this from a snippet from a pathetic Scottish rag! Now, if it had been the 'Scotsman'!
Dougie realises where his priorities and heart are. He is now Palace through and through and is going nowhere. Watching him on the pitch it is obvious to me that he would make a great coach in the future and I will confess that he plays the game the way I think it should be played - on the deck to feet, give and move etc etc. We need one or two more 'footballers like him in our midfield if we are going to get anywhere next season. Back to Scotland? Celtixc and Rangers wouldn't want him and none of the others could afford him. End of story. Please !

sydney eagle
07-04-2002, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Big Bird


Rubbish Dougie and his wife and son had a plane to catch too Glasgow, he was flying up from Stansted to see his Mum and Dad as it was the Easter Holiday also his mum has recently had a major operation.

He loves Palace,
he has brought a house in the local area has just spent a fortune on renovating it and is looking forward to adding to his family.
Admitted he is miffed by the changes to the formation and sometimes had to play in three different positions in one game which is frustrating when you are a creative player and excellent goal poacher. Dougie has matured a lot since he last played for Palace and when Alan Smith came in for him at Forest he was prepared to WALK DOWN THE M1 to come back to Palace he reagards it as home and loves the fans as much as they love him.
He will be in the Scotland set up how can you dismiss a 20 odd goal scorer when you have not got much to choose from on the forward line for Scotland.
I can assure you that when asked by Simon Jordon what his future plans are when his career as a footballer finish his answer was I WILL BE THE MANAGER OF CRYSTAL PALACE F.C..

:p Fantastic post

:) :p

zonin2000
07-04-2002, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Big Bird


Rubbish Dougie and his wife and son had a plane to catch too Glasgow, he was flying up from Stansted to see his Mum and Dad as it was the Easter Holiday also his mum has recently had a major operation.

He loves Palace,
he has brought a house in the local area has just spent a fortune on renovating it and is looking forward to adding to his family.
Admitted he is miffed by the changes to the formation and sometimes had to play in three different positions in one game which is frustrating when you are a creative player and excellent goal poacher. Dougie has matured a lot since he last played for Palace and when Alan Smith came in for him at Forest he was prepared to WALK DOWN THE M1 to come back to Palace he reagards it as home and loves the fans as much as they love him.
He will be in the Scotland set up how can you dismiss a 20 odd goal scorer when you have not got much to choose from on the forward line for Scotland.
I can assure you that when asked by Simon Jordon what his future plans are when his career as a footballer finish his answer was I WILL BE THE MANAGER OF CRYSTAL PALACE F.C..

:p



I LOVE DOUGIE FREEDMAN :p :p :p :p :p :love:

zonin2000
07-04-2002, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Big Bird


Dougies birthday for those who are interested is actually on May 25th and he is 28 this year.
I know because he shares the same birthday as my daughter and we have had the pleasure of enjoying several birthday meals with the great dougie and his family believe me I know I am right on this one and the programme dept are wrong. :p


What a legend, he even makes up false birthdays so that he can have birthday meals with the fans :p :p

:D :o

LLCOOLSTEVE
07-04-2002, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000



What a legend, he even makes up false birthdays so that he can have birthday meals with the fans :p :p

:D :o

LOL, im sure alot of fans would wish for that....but i think you may find that 'Big Bird' can count Dougie and his wife as close personal friends. ;)

James
07-04-2002, 04:02 AM
These threads are great aren't they? Some Palace fans really do like setting themselves up. Who really knows what he is going to do?

It's naive to expect any Player to 'love Palace' as we do. I am sure that Freedman has enjoyed his latest spell with us, but he is a professional, and if it right for him to move in the Summer (or indeed if Jordan or Francis deem it right) then he will be off.

Whatever he may or may not have said to his chums on the BBS over a pint.

Officer Dibble
07-04-2002, 06:34 AM
The Express carried this story on sat......

SPURS TO SIGN DOUGIE

SCOTLAND striker Dougie Freedman has agreed to join Spurs following talks earlier this week at White Hart Lane, as revealed by Express Sport last Sunday.
He will quit Crystal Palace this summer to join the Premiership outfit after his second spell at Selhurst Park.
Freedman, 28, has featured on the fringes of the Scotland squad and finally got his chance in the last World Cup qualifier at home to Latvia, when he marked his debut with a goal.

Gooders
07-04-2002, 07:51 AM
******* hell. If he has to leave, he could at least join a decent team.

Sorry Daniel, but you are dull and not very good.

woolpacker no 2
07-04-2002, 07:58 AM
Well we know who to blame for this:veryangry .....SGE

sydney eagle
07-04-2002, 08:01 AM
similar thread here
:)

DON'T GO DOUGIE:sob:

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20960 :grrr: :sob: :grrr:

AJ
07-04-2002, 08:14 AM
Unless Freedman is out of contract, he cannot agree to join anyone. In fact, if he has made contact with another club without the consent of Palace, Spurs would be guilty of breaking the FA rules.

Boris the charltonhater
07-04-2002, 03:59 PM
This is utter rubbish. The Daily Express know absoutely nothing about sport. He won't be going to Spurs, he's not good enough for them. If it was Morrison then yes but dougie no.

07-04-2002, 04:11 PM
I think SJ would have mentioned if he was out of contract. Otherwise i doubt we would sell one of our best players. Spurs want Phillips so i doubt they would go for freedman. Lets hope Im right.

LLCOOLSTEVE
07-04-2002, 04:29 PM
Simon Jordan has told Dougie he wants to give him a new contract, not sell him.....!

congress
07-04-2002, 05:17 PM
Isnt he married to Ray Clemence's daughter?

Perhaps he was just having lunch there with his father in law and some idiot journalist put 2 and 2 together and got 5.

07-04-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by congress
Isnt he married to Ray Clemence's daughter?

Perhaps he was just having lunch there with his father in law and some idiot journalist put 2 and 2 together and got 5.

excellent point. thats that one over and done with.

Jimbo ?
07-04-2002, 06:28 PM
sorry but Freedman will not be going to Spurs!!! This is another fictional rumour!!!

Santos-er
07-04-2002, 07:26 PM
Your secret's safe with us BB :p

arussell
08-04-2002, 04:47 AM
Well this is an amusing thread.

Dougie is a good player - but all his bad old habits are coming back.

Do any of you REALLY think that the clubs you have mentioned on here (with the money they have) would bid for Freedman over a number of other players that might be on the market ???

Clapham Grand
08-04-2002, 02:03 PM
He will not sign a new contract if Clint is sold, but Jordan would never sell both of them. Interesting quandry

Cleon
08-04-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Officer Dibble
The Express carried this story on sat......

SPURS TO SIGN DOUGIE

SCOTLAND striker Dougie Freedman has agreed to join Spurs following talks earlier this week at White Hart Lane, as revealed by Express Sport last Sunday.
He will quit Crystal Palace this summer to join the Premiership outfit after his second spell at Selhurst Park.
Freedman, 28, has featured on the fringes of the Scotland squad and finally got his chance in the last World Cup qualifier at home to Latvia, when he marked his debut with a goal.

The Express! HAHAHAHAHAHA. Now my mind is at peace... Dougie is staying.

Private Eye have quoted a member of the Express staff in the recent issue admitting that "if the Guardian website went down we'd be buggered".

Elephant with mouse gyp
10-04-2002, 01:50 PM
Did I read teletext wrong last night, or is it true that Dougie is not in the Scotland squad for their next game?

10-04-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE



Oooooh they must be right then...........! :rolleyes:

What else have you got to go on then clever-clogs, his birth certificate?

If the player's own club programme, his own Trade Union (PFA) handbook and the top Football Annual in the country are all wrong, where else is the average football fan expected to look for a footballer's DOB except the aforementioned?

Cleon
10-04-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Did I read teletext wrong last night, or is it true that Dougie is not in the Scotland squad for their next game?

Yeah, I saw that. If true, then I guess Berti is checking out youth. I can't imagine Dougie doesn't feature in his plans.

Gooders
10-04-2002, 10:32 PM
He's not in the squad; he was subbed at half-time against France; and if Vogts is checking out youngsters, why pick Dickov?

AJ
10-04-2002, 11:09 PM
No wonder Doug is depressed....Lets be honest, it is probably harder to get into the Stockport starting line up, than the Scotland team:D

LLCOOLSTEVE
11-04-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by freddykurz


What else have you got to go on then clever-clogs, his birth certificate?



well basically yeah...........:)

The Omen
11-04-2002, 08:55 PM
At Sky, we have his birthday down as 25/05/1974. :)

So there! Case closed! :p

LLCOOLSTEVE
11-04-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by The Omen
At Sky, we have his birthday down as 25/05/1974. :)


LOL well done that man!!! at least one media source has it correct.

g23
11-04-2002, 11:10 PM
It's obvious - Dougie is royalty, and therefore has two birthdays.

As far as I'm concerned, he can have 365.25 as long as he stays and maintains the form he's showed since returning.

LLCOOLSTEVE
12-04-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
Simon Jordan has told Dougie he wants to give him a new contract,


This will happen in very near future......:)

MatthewT
15-04-2002, 01:06 PM
At the Palace-Preston game. did anyone else hear the rumor that Freedman had signed for Watford?

Gooders
16-04-2002, 12:38 AM
Yes - but I also heard one that Noades and Coppell are about to buy the club back off Jordan, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.