PDA

View Full Version : Who will play on the left?

zonin2000
05-04-2002, 10:22 PM
Our midfield trio of Beckham, Scholes and Gerrard is fairly rigid- great players, but players who tend to stay in their positions and without the ability to take people on. We haven't got a left footer to do on the left what Beckham does on the right, so I suggest that we play a dribbler in that position, a McManaman or a Joe Cole. If our free spirit decides to roam, then we have Ashley Cole who can push up from left back to balance the side. I feel that Ashley will be included for his attacking flair rather than his defensive qualities.

The cenral defence will undoubtedly consist of Campbell and Ferdinand, a fairly reliable partnership which most fans will be happy with. The right back slot could be filled by either Gazza Neville (used to playing behind Beckham), Wes Brown (Tall, strong and versatile a-la-Thuram), Danny Mills (dirty bugger) or even someone like Kieron Dyer (very, very dark horse).

Up front, I feel Svennis go 'horses for courses', with one of Heskey, Fowler and Vassell partnering Owen at different times.

David Spunk will play in goal.

Stavros 69
05-04-2002, 10:38 PM
Jules, number 1 :p

John.K
06-04-2002, 03:10 AM
I wouldn't put my money on Campbell playing at the back i think Southgate has got a better look in as he has more experience stability etc to hold the defence together! As Sven has hinted!

As for left mid-field he could play Ashley Cole or Wayne Bridge and stick the other in left back because both have attacking talents and are not scared to run at players. Bridge proved in friendlys he could do that and we all know Cole could so I think both of them may occupy the left side of the field!

06-04-2002, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by zonin2000
Our midfield trio of Beckham, Scholes and Gerrard is fairly rigid- great players, but players who tend to stay in their positions and without the ability to take people on. We haven't got a left footer to do on the left what Beckham does on the right, so I suggest that we play a dribbler in that position, a McManaman or a Joe Cole. If our free spirit decides to roam, then we have Ashley Cole who can push up from left back to balance the side. I feel that Ashley will be included for his attacking flair rather than his defensive qualities.

The cenral defence will undoubtedly consist of Campbell and Ferdinand, a fairly reliable partnership which most fans will be happy with. The right back slot could be filled by either Gazza Neville (used to playing behind Beckham), Wes Brown (Tall, strong and versatile a-la-Thuram), Danny Mills (dirty bugger) or even someone like Kieron Dyer (very, very dark horse).

I think we need an out and out left winger to balance the team. I think Sven wants Dyer on the left, not the same think but who am I to argue.

Whenether I see Wes Brown he fails to impress me, i dont think hes england quality.

For me the Central defensive partnership has got to be Ugo e-go-go and Gareth Southgate. In my opinion the best partnership in the league and both english. The partnership at the back is crucical and these two know each other inside out.

Jaffa
06-04-2002, 03:26 AM
For me England should be...

James (sacrilige I know, but Martyn is looking rustier these days)
G. Neville
Ferdinand
Southgate
Bridge
Beckham
Cole
Gerrard
As. Cole
Owen
Scholes

pete eagle
06-04-2002, 04:43 AM
i think Dyer will get the nod on the left if fit. He can run at players all day long.

zonin2000
06-04-2002, 06:00 AM
but Dyer is right footed :grrr:

still he will run at players.

I'd rather have Steve 'I'm sh!te for England, but I'll come good this summer' McManaman or little Joey.

Mong!
06-04-2002, 06:16 AM
Julian Gray! :p

Daniel_Nash
06-04-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by zonin2000
but Dyer is right footed :grrr:

I'm not sure it really matters if you have a right footed or left footed player on the left side. It depends how you play them.

Say if you have, Beckham, Gerrard and Dyer in midfield, with Scholes slightly ahead.. then the player on the left, be it Beckham or Dyer (probs Dyer) is more of a central figure allowing the left back to bomb forward, and Gerrard to drop in.

Obviously if you do have a natural left winger, a bit like Laurent Robert is, then he can beat players on the outside and cross.. and that has advantages too, but turning inside a right back - onto HIS left side - also has advantages too. You can basically take him out of the game and then be straight onto a centre back.

If England do go for a normal 4-4-2, i'd like to see either Joe Cole or Dyer play on the left side. Seem to be competant on both sides and can beat players all day, inside or out. Both players are a bit tricky too and it is likely that the players they face may be forced into a challenge... and probably a booking, which makes them a little wary of diving in again. To the advantage of England.

Not sure if Phil Neville should be in the squad, Wayne Bridge and Ashley Cole seem very decent left backs.. my wingers/full backs would be: Bridge, Ashley Cole, Gary Neville, Wes Brown (is he a right back? sure he has played there), Dyer, Joe Cole, Beckham, Anderton (maybe) or McManaman.

Jimbo ?
07-04-2002, 06:48 PM
Dyer does run at people and i would try and get in the team somewhere 352 Martyn - campbell ferdinand Southgate - Beckham Scholes Gerard Dyer McMannanman - Owen heskey

The Omen
08-04-2002, 02:36 PM
David Dunn is another option we could use on the left.

The bad thing is, and always has been with England, is that we always play a player on the left that doesn't normally play there for his club. I would rather have an average left winger than a quality player playing out of position.