PDA

View Full Version : Heskey - what am I missing?

Gooders
08-04-2002, 12:29 AM
Listening to the 5 Live phone-in tonight, someone actually called up to say that they thought we should partner Heskey with Fowler up front for England and leave Owen out.

My question is, what planet do people like that inhabit?

I cannot for the life of me see what Heskey has done to merit a place in the Liverpool team, never mind England.

He has no first touch; for a big fella he goes down like a sack of spuds at the merest contact; he can't head a ball; his goals to games ratio for a team in the top two or three in the Premier League is nothing short of pathetic.

Liverpool supporters were always supposed to be "the fans who best understand the game" - do you remember? Well, where have they all gone then? Because whenever I watch Liverpool on the tv these days and Heskey cocks things up again all I can hear from the Liverpool fans is "air-mill-esski, air-mill-esski, air-mill-esski"...

How these people can stomach the loss of Fowler and his replacement by this excuse for a footballer is beyond me.

Please, please, please let him be injured before the end of the season because if he's all we've got to offer up front in the World Cup, we might as well not turn up.

Chocky
08-04-2002, 12:41 AM
Funny that, I just heard a similar thing on Nigeria 5 Live (you can pick it up in Spain) and someone said the same thing about Akinbyi being up front for them.

:clown:

Stubby
08-04-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Chocky
Funny that, I just heard a similar thing on Nigeria 5 Live (you can pick it up in Spain) and someone said the same thing about Akinbyi being up front for them.

:clown:

For gods sake give Akinbyi a break. :grrr:

As for Heskey I think he is a t*****

Steve in Phoenix
08-04-2002, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
Listening to the 5 Live phone-in tonight, someone actually called up to say that they thought we should partner Heskey with Fowler up front for England and leave Owen out.

My question is, what planet do people like that inhabit?

Yeah. God. What are they thinking of putting Fowler in the team. :eek:

Honestly I find it a bit much to wish injury on a player. Heskey isnt totally useless, he has pace to burn, will not be out-muscled by the big defenders and going down is not a bad thing when you're getting fouled and win a free-kick. He distracts the defenders to a great degree and always works for his striking partner. He terrorised Argentina and Sensini had to be withdrawn in the first half because he simply couldnt cope. I'd far prefer to see him and Owen than Fowler who clearly couldnt get on with Owen and who I detest anyway.

We arent real contenders anyway - our success will depend on Beckham Owen, Gerrard and Ferdinand.

Daniel_Nash
08-04-2002, 04:43 AM
Heskey's eagerness to go down under challenges is a good thing for England, especially against teams like... Argentina for example. It's how they play! So why not counter it by doing exactly the same!

Personally i think he is almost ideal as the foil for Owen!

Imagine Owen and Phillips upfront, there is no target man there. Just 2 players below 6 foot!

Still, i'd rather someone else rather than Heskey. He seems clumbsy, but he'll do the job.

Si121
08-04-2002, 05:18 AM
Heskey's pants. End of story.

The Omen
08-04-2002, 02:31 PM
I think Heskey has become an important player for England. He works so hard off the ball and makes good runs which allows Owen more space.

Other teams also see him as a big threat - mainly due to his size. He is a handfull for any defender - I honestly believe we need him at the World Cup if we are going to do well.

DougleMcNori
09-04-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by The Omen
I think Heskey has become an important player for England. He works so hard off the ball and makes good runs which allows Owen more space.

I wish he would keep running, out of the stadium, out of the country and become a full time pisshead cause at least he would be at home with people who fall over all the time

Merton Eagle
09-04-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by The Omen

Other teams also see him as a big threat - mainly due to his size. He is a handfull for any defender - I honestly believe we need him at the World Cup if we are going to do well. Quite. He does so much albeit he's so thick he probably doesn't even realise what he actually does.

Elephant with mouse gyp
10-04-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix
I'd far prefer to see him and Owen than Fowler who clearly couldnt get on with Owen and who I detest anyway.

What have you got against Fowler exactly? He has buckets of skill, that laid back arrogance many great strikers have and scores goals. With a bit more pace he would be up there with the best in the world.

Mind you I wouldn't play him alongside Owen, but have Teddy just behind.

Heskey is an embarrassment to the international football scene.

Merton Eagle
10-04-2002, 04:22 PM
Heskey was absolutely pants last night and showed why he can be a marvel in 1 game and useless in another. Too unpredictable with a a terrible touch.

firesign
10-04-2002, 04:23 PM
What's the difference between Emile Heskey annd a big big lump of poo.

You can dump the poo!

Steve in Phoenix
11-04-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
What have you got against Fowler exactly? He has buckets of skill, that laid back arrogance many great strikers have and scores goals. With a bit more pace he would be up there with the best in the world.

I think he's immature, overrated and selfish. :) He's also arrogant beyond his means and achievements. I'd compare him to Graeme Hick, a flat-track bully who chokes when it comes down to it - he doesnt impress when his team is the underdog, which England often are. Amazing left foot but not much else at all. Im probably being irrational but I'd play ten strikers ahead of him.

Elephant with mouse gyp
11-04-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix
Amazing left foot but not much else at all.

But what a left foot, as they used to say about Kevin Sheedy.

He is also good at bringing others into the game, good at dropping slightly back to confuse defenders, good with his back to the goal, has a neat turn plus prodigious spitting ability.

I know what you mean about the arrogance, but I quite like that in a striker. His off the field antics I find refreshing as it reminds me of the 70s when players were all like that, at least in the realm of myth and my memory.

bucketbongeagle
11-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Admitedly Heskey is not the most naturally talented player in the world but I think he's the perfect partner for Owen, big muscular hard working striker who holds things up well, Bright, wright styley. Think those two could cause problems for any defence and besides I can't see a better partnership around.

El Aguila
06-05-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by bucketbongeagle
Admitedly Heskey is not the most naturally talented player in the world but I think he's the perfect partner for Owen, big muscular hard working striker who holds things up well, Bright, wright styley. Think those two could cause problems for any defence and besides I can't see a better partnership around.
Mark Bright had more talent in his little toe than Heskey has in his whole body.

Levski
06-05-2002, 08:10 PM
I don't really like Heskey either, but I can't see who else Sven can pick. I'm sure he'll start with Owen and Heskey up front. He's a very limited footballer, but he can cause some trouble to defenders occasionally. We'll do well to get beyond the second round, anyway, so it's probably not an issue at the end of the day. The bigger problem is that we have only one really creative player, and even he is a wide player, not a true central midfeilder, and that's Beckham. Gerrard is quality, and Scholes is a good box to box player, but we have no-one like a Zidane, or an Ortega, or even an Okacha to play killer balls and unlock defences.
If everyting goes through Beckham, then we might find ourselves struggling to get goals.

Trilby7
06-05-2002, 11:30 PM
Er...id still have Heskey at Palace, anyday.

06-05-2002, 11:34 PM
I think he's a good looking man. We should sign him.

Si121
07-05-2002, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Ben Aitch
I think he's a good looking man. We should sign him.

Errmmm, Brighton fan?

Si121
07-05-2002, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by Levski
I don't really like Heskey either, but I can't see who else Sven can pick. I'm sure he'll start with Owen and Heskey up front. He's a very limited footballer, but he can cause some trouble to defenders occasionally. We'll do well to get beyond the second round, anyway, so it's probably not an issue at the end of the day. The bigger problem is that we have only one really creative player, and even he is a wide player, not a true central midfeilder, and that's Beckham. Gerrard is quality, and Scholes is a good box to box player, but we have no-one like a Zidane, or an Ortega, or even an Okacha to play killer balls and unlock defences.
If everyting goes through Beckham, then we might find ourselves struggling to get goals.

I agree with alot of thigs you say Levski but not this. For a start, Gerrard is always playing defense splitting passes. I think we can win this World Cup if we play to our full standard. For example, how we played Vs Germany.
I think if we start Owen & Vassell, defences will be bricking it.

Levski
07-05-2002, 05:47 PM
I hope you're right, but I think he'll put Gerrard will be doing lots of defending versus Argentina and Nigeria. I think we simply must beat Sweden in the openeing game, or we could be in a lot of trouble.

Maybe I'm overly pessimistic (I do tend to be when it comes to football!), but I just think we lack real quality in the middle of the park, and the Greece game showed it up. 5-1 in Germany was a 'once in a generation' result, and I think it flattered us. There's no way teams will let Gerrard play those simple balls through for Owen like that in Japan.

Si121
08-05-2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Levski
I hope you're right, but I think he'll put Gerrard will be doing lots of defending versus Argentina and Nigeria. I think we simply must beat Sweden in the openeing game, or we could be in a lot of trouble.

Maybe I'm overly pessimistic (I do tend to be when it comes to football!), but I just think we lack real quality in the middle of the park, and the Greece game showed it up. 5-1 in Germany was a 'once in a generation' result, and I think it flattered us. There's no way teams will let Gerrard play those simple balls through for Owen like that in Japan.

Why not? It's easily done with Owens pace. If we can do it to the German defence we can do it to every defence in the world.

ozeagle
08-05-2002, 04:28 AM
if England start Heskey, they will finish bottom of their group.

he's clearly a dud.

it must be Fowler and Owen, 2 proven goal scorers, bollox all this big tuff man holding it up turd ! you guys need goals.

:rolleyes:

hughff
08-05-2002, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by ozeagle
if England start Heskey, they will finish bottom of their group.

he's clearly a dud.

it must be Fowler and Owen, 2 proven goal scorers, bollox all this big tuff man holding it up turd ! you guys need goals.

:rolleyes:

It's a British obssession, this mix of big and small up front. (It's twin is the obssession with the guy who runs his pants off.) What you need to score goals and win games is skill. If it comes in a big or a hard-working package, great. If not, use the guys you've got and organise the team to make the most of them. We have the same situation here at Palace, where a big hard-running striker is sometimes being used in place of smaller but more skillful guys to the team's detriment.

Heskey = a back up to be used for a change of pace, at best.

Eagle Kneevil
08-05-2002, 09:38 AM
The real argument that is in favour of Owen and Heskey is that they play together week in, week out.