PDA

View Full Version : Michael Mifsud

Pages : [1] 2

sideshow bob
14-04-2002, 07:42 PM
In the News of the world in the rumours section it says ,The talented Kaiserslautern striker is wanted by Palace.
Francis has seen videos of the player and saw him shine for Malta against Andorra.
Has anyone heard of him,if Clinton was to go in the summer we'd need another striker.

Latvian Eagle
14-04-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by sideshow bob
Francis has seen videos of the player and saw him shine for Malta against Andorra.

Woo hoo, that's sold him to me!!! ......... NOT!!!

TWO World powers of football mentioned there

:rolleyes:

Neil the Eagle
15-04-2002, 04:36 AM
Says the Latvian... :rolleyes:

ozzieEagle
15-04-2002, 04:47 AM
Bloody hell, can anyone understand english in our team ! imagine all the swearing that the individual players must do after a muffed move,

from "sassanachs" to "Begorrah" and beyond lol

Trever francis and the coaching staff, must have real communication problems at times i reckon

Daniel_Nash
15-04-2002, 05:31 AM
I have only seen him in Championship Manager. Playing for.. er... Silemma? someone might clear that up.

He seemed pretty useful in that, but it's not really a true reflection of the player.

Did it say how much he was linked for?

BVB Bob
15-04-2002, 01:25 PM
He's 22 and only been at Kaiserslautern for a season. Touted for big things but only made 5 subs appearances so far & hasn't scored in any of them. Meant to be quick, not particularly big. Don't know about his Malta appearances I'm afraid.

Clapham Grand
15-04-2002, 01:31 PM
Position: Forward
Date of birth: Friday 17th April 1981

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The top scorer in the Maltese league joined Lautern in summer of 2001 as a 20-year-old from Sliema Wanderers.

Mifsud's impressive finishing skills for the amateur side earned him four Bundesliga substitutions, and though the youngster is still waiting for his first goal in the German top-flight, he has more than fulfilled expectations.

From Onefootball.com

sydney eagle
15-04-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
Says the Lativan... :rolleyes: LOL too true Neil:D

OOCO
15-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Latvian Eagle

Woo hoo, that's sold him to me!!! ......... NOT!!!

TWO World powers of football mentioned there

:rolleyes:

Suppose that makes George Weah rubbish then?

Daniel_Nash
15-04-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand

Mifsud's impressive finishing skills for the amateur side earned him four Bundesliga substitutions, and though the youngster is still waiting for his first goal in the German top-flight, he has more than fulfilled expectations.

Fulfilled expectations by not scoring any goals??

He is still young though, if it was in England he'd have been thrown into the game too early and learnt while playing instead of taking his time and not rushing his development.

Jimbo ?
15-04-2002, 07:07 PM
sounds like another far fetched rumour!!!!

and i would bet it doesnt happen!!

sideshow bob
17-04-2002, 02:15 AM
Probably won't happen but if he's only 20 and if we get him for the right price might not be bad,at least at that age we have a chance of selling him on.

cumbrian_eagles
17-04-2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
Says the Lativan... :rolleyes:

Whats a LatIvan?!? :confused:

pete eagle
17-04-2002, 02:40 AM
why would a guy who is being touted for big things by his club who play in the top-flight of the German League want to sell him to us? And why would he want to come?

BVB Bob
17-04-2002, 02:09 PM
Lack of 1st team opportunities? BTW having got his age wrong in the 1st place I'd like to wish him a Happy Birthday. Cos I'm nice like that.

Shoreditch CPFC
22-07-2008, 08:45 AM
We are one of 3 clubs after him:

Michael Mifsud wanted by Championship rivals
Jul 22 2008 by Andy Turner

LAST SEASON'S leading scorer Michael Mifsud has attracted interest from three of Coventry City's Championship rivals.

Fans' favourite Mifsud appears to have slipped down the pecking order at the Ricoh Arena since the arrival of Freddy Eastwood, and with Chris Coleman trying to sign Clinton Morrison, the Malta international is among a surfeit of strikers in the City squad.

Bristol City, Norwich City and Crystal Palace have inquired about Mifsud.

Mifsud has been the subject of on-going speculation ever since he hit the national headlines with his sparkling performance and two goals that dumped Manchester United out of the Carling Cup last season.

It was a feat he repeated against Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup.

The 27-year-old went on to notch 17 goals last term but they dried up dramatically in the second half of the season when he went five months without scoring in the league, which he claimed was partly due to the fact that he was played out of his preferred central striking role – a situation that has continued into the pre-season.

Lord Flange
22-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Sounds like a good bet..

Is he in the target man mould?

Ralph
22-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Eastwood and Morrison or Scowcroft and Mifsud?

Voldo
22-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Scowcroft and Mifsud...

Classic big man / little man

Swanny32
22-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
Eastwood and Morrison or Scowcroft and Mifsud?

Scowcroft and Mifsud any day of the week.

Gooders
22-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Lord Flange
Sounds like a good bet..

Is he in the target man mould?

In subbuteo, yes.

I think he'd be the perfect final striker signing.

DaCooks15
22-07-2008, 09:21 AM
He looked quite impressive in those cup games last year - fingers crossed!!

cpfc4evandeva
22-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Whilst I think he's a decent player, where would he play in the 451 formation that we're likely to go with?

You have two wide forwards/wingers who are quick - Moses/Sinclair/Scannel/Ifill

And you have a centre forward who is big and wins aerial balls - Scowie

For me Misfud would play on the left or the right and according to that report, he's not keen on that.

IMHO he wouldn't do well as the lone forward.

FromSelhurst
22-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Voldo
Scowcroft and Mifsud...

Classic big man / little man

except warnock wants to play 4 3 3.

cpfcmazz
22-07-2008, 09:44 AM
He would a fantastic signing, Cov will probably hold out for a large fee though. Pace and finishing.

jansabo
22-07-2008, 09:56 AM
He wouldn`t fit in our team if we play 433 or 451. He`s a typical 442 player and has got plenty of ability, but his ego is even bigger. Or at least it was during his time in Norway. No way Jose, is may opinion. And if we were to get him, we MUST play 442 if we were going to use him....

Chickereagle
22-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Could be a case of mistaken identity here:

Plymouth, Burnley and Palace want Kevin Kyle
Jul 22 2008 By Andy Turner

SKY Blues' misfit Kevin Kyle is wanted by three Championship clubs.
Plymouth, Burnley and Crystal Palace are understood to have expressed interest in the former Sunderland striker.

Kyle has been surplus to requirement at City ever since he went on loan to Wolves last season and, after criticising sections of the fans, made it difficult for a fully fledged return to the club.

Wolves had the option of making Kyle's switch a permanent one - but decided against the deal.

The 27-year-old is one of the highest paid players at the club and getting him off the wage bill would free up funds to strengthen the squad.

Kyle has been vack in pre-season training with the Sky Blues and made two appearances for the side in the club's tour of Switzerland last week.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2008/07/22/plymouth-burnley-and-palace-want-kevin-kyle-92746-21381308/

Beanie
22-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Think he could play 4-3-3 quite well. He's s central striker, but he's not a poacher like Morrison and seemed to arrive in the box late for quite a few of his goals, which is how we can make the best of Scowcrofts hold up play. Not saying without some change of style, but not much.

Beanie
22-07-2008, 10:11 AM
NW has said he wants two more - perhaps we're after both. They are different enough not to be mutually exclusive. Not sure about Kyle, but certainly a big man to pressure Scowcroft.

adrenalin john
22-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Chickereagle
Could be a case of mistaken identity here:

Plymouth, Burnley and Palace want Kevin Kyle
Jul 22 2008 By Andy Turner

SKY Blues' misfit Kevin Kyle is wanted by three Championship clubs.
Plymouth, Burnley and Crystal Palace are understood to have expressed interest in the former Sunderland striker.

Kyle has been surplus to requirement at City ever since he went on loan to Wolves last season and, after criticising sections of the fans, made it difficult for a fully fledged return to the club.

Wolves had the option of making Kyle's switch a permanent one - but decided against the deal.

The 27-year-old is one of the highest paid players at the club and getting him off the wage bill would free up funds to strengthen the squad.

Kyle has been vack in pre-season training with the Sky Blues and made two appearances for the side in the club's tour of Switzerland last week.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2008/07/22/plymouth-burnley-and-palace-want-kevin-kyle-92746-21381308/

That makes much more sense. Mifsud is definitely a forward in the 442 sense - a (very) poor mans Andy Cole.

I am pretty sure Warnock wants to have Ifill, Moses, Scannel and Sinclair as the withdrawn/wide strikers

And then wants a big man to compete with Scowie for the lone striker role, Drogba is available but Kyle is probably cheaper.

Looked very good for Sunderland under McCarthy, I wonder why he doestn't want him for Wolves - sicknote? Not ever really recovered from his injuries? Fallen too far in love with himself? Surfeit of strikers at Wolves? Wages?

LeeH
22-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by adrenalin john
Drogba is available
signed for Luton Town this morning for a bag of peanuts.

cpfc4evandeva
22-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by FromSelhurst
except warnock wants to play 4 3 3.

Exactly

Originally posted by adrenalin john
That makes much more sense. Mifsud is definitely a forward in the 442 sense - a (very) poor mans Andy Cole.

I am pretty sure Warnock wants to have Ifill, Moses, Scannel and Sinclair as the withdrawn/wide strikers

And then wants a big man to compete with Scowie for the lone striker role, Drogba is available but Kyle is probably cheaper.

Exactly.

Theres no point buying a good player if he isn't right for the system.

Crunchie
22-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by cpfc4evandeva
Whilst I think he's a decent player, where would he play in the 451 formation that we're likely to go with?

You have two wide forwards/wingers who are quick - Moses/Sinclair/Scannel/Ifill

And you have a centre forward who is big and wins aerial balls - Scowie

For me Misfud would play on the left or the right and according to that report, he's not keen on that.

IMHO he wouldn't do well as the lone forward.

But Misfid did play on the right in a 4-4-2 for Coventry didn't here during the second half of the season?

That would be different to playing on the right of a 4-3-3.

Not saying it could or couldn't work but i dont feel Scannell or Moses either would be that effect on the right or left of a 4-4-2.

GrayP41ace
22-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by LeeH
signed for Luton Town this morning for a bag of peanuts.

Surprised Spurs didn't snap him up, they are throwing packets of crisps and peanuts at anyone and everyone at the minute.

Voldo
22-07-2008, 10:54 AM
personally i think Mifsud would suit 4-3-3

and its always good to have a player available that can slot nicely into a formation change for 4-4-2 and even 4-5-1 playing off the lone striker...

I guess the main issue with this is that we already have players that can adapt to these positions - but i certainly wouldn't say no to signing Mifsud

Chris K
22-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I'd be chuffed with this if it were to happen!

Gooders
22-07-2008, 11:10 AM
All this talk of 4-3-3 is grating a bit now.

It may well be Warnock's preferred system but he is clearly tactically astute enough to want to be able to vary it from time to time either due to the way the opposition is set up, or as a result of what's going on game to game.

People talk about the 4-3-3 as if it's cast in stone. It won't be.

exiledeagle
22-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Lasst seasom Blackburn offered £3 m ?????????

thefox
22-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Mifasud with his performance in the first part of the season yes please , but this led to coventry putting a

£5million !!!

price tag on him that would probably be have to be cut in 5 for us to afford him.

As for the formation does Warnock actually want to play 4 3 3 i thought he only started doing it as we didnt have any fit wingers available last year except Sinclair and playing 4 3 3 this pre season as he doesnt have enough out and out strikers.

If he is playing Moses , Scanell , Ifill, Dayton as well trying to get Yeates and Sinclair that is too many to be playing no wingers.

With Scowcroft, Andrew, Thomas (?) and looking to bring in 2 experienced strikers as well as Moses and Scanell certain to play i think he might revert to 4 4 2 .

If he is not worried about losing Fletcher and Watson probably off, that only leaves Soares , Derry and injury prone Danns in the central midfield role with Jamie Smith ,but he hasnt played a first team game .
I dont think thats enough for a 3 man central midfield .

Lawrence and Ertl could play the defensive role,but only would do as replacements for Derry .

oh and Moses is meant to be primarily an attacking forward ,but i cant see him playing this role with Carle playing the same type of role.

Bobsta
22-07-2008, 12:10 PM
quality player

Bounty_Killa
22-07-2008, 12:27 PM
With the money from Watson going to QPR and hopefully the sale of The Kosovan Albanian, we can then look seriously. Until then I have my doubts.

If it is Mifsud, it'll be great, IF...this media is correct.

dannyboy1807
22-07-2008, 12:31 PM
COVENTRY City striker Michael Mifsud has handed in a transfer request.

The Maltese international has one year to run on his contract and the Sky Blues will be keen to cash in now rather than allow him to leave on a free transfer.

And they will be hopeful of sparking a bidding war with Bristol City, Norwich City and Crystal Palace all having expressed an interest during the summer.

Coventry City boss Chris Coleman said: "I've spoken with Michael this week and he has agreed with his agent that it's time to move on.

"He's said he will hand in a trransfer request and there's nothing we can do about that.

"We have to move on ourselves and if a club comes in and offers the right money then we'll have to look at it."

"We risk having an unhappy player on our hands and then losing him for nothing. If he feels his career is going to progess elsewhere there's nothing we can do about that."

Clinton Morrison, who is on trial with the Sky Blues, was pulled out of training today nursing groin and hip injuries.

Bounty_Killa
22-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by dannyboy1807
COVENTRY City striker Michael Mifsud has handed in a transfer request.

The Maltese international has one year to run on his contract and the Sky Blues will be keen to cash in now rather than allow him to leave on a free transfer.

And they will be hopeful of sparking a bidding war with Bristol City, Norwich City and Crystal Palace all having expressed an interest during the summer.

Coventry City boss Chris Coleman said: "I've spoken with Michael this week and he has agreed with his agent that it's time to move on.

"He's said he will hand in a trransfer request and there's nothing we can do about that.

"We have to move on ourselves and if a club comes in and offers the right money then we'll have to look at it."

"We risk having an unhappy player on our hands and then losing him for nothing. If he feels his career is going to progess elsewhere there's nothing we can do about that."

Clinton Morrison, who is on trial with the Sky Blues, was pulled out of training today nursing groin and hip injuries.

Interesting, where's this from?

pedro
22-07-2008, 12:41 PM
At last NW has found the target man to spearhead his three pronged attack.

SpikeyMatt
22-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Gooders

It may well be Warnock's preferred system but he is clearly tactically astute enough to want to be able to vary it from time to time either due to the way the opposition is set up, or as a result of what's going on game to game.

Quite. We want a flexible squad able to play two or three systems.

Latvian
22-07-2008, 12:46 PM
He'll adapt to any system, handy player xxx

StudentEagle
22-07-2008, 12:48 PM

Amen. Its coming up on every thread, be it about a friendly, a transfer target or squad numbers. Does everyone really think that our tactics for 08/09 were decided at the end of May?

Oh and Mifsud - quality player.

glaziers fan
22-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Now we're talking. Misfud is a quality player, who I believe would be strong enough to play in the middle. Better than anyone else we have been linked with so far.

rbarmy
22-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Would be very happy with this, and I would like to think he would be inclined to choose us above Norwich and BC, but suspect the price will be out of range

FraserH
22-07-2008, 01:00 PM
if this is true and we manage to actually get him over the line then its fantastic news.

Norweagle
22-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Mifsud wasnt bad when he played in Norway, with 11 goals in 19 appearances in the 2006 season. He is a really quick little striker (he is only 1.64m tall...) When Mifsud was in form he kinda reminded me of AJ.

Sign him please!

cpfcfan1
22-07-2008, 01:30 PM
He only has a year left so a fee would not be that high but I still think we will end up with Kyle. :(

FraserH
22-07-2008, 01:34 PM
kyle is gash

FromSelhurst
22-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Voldo
personally i think Mifsud would suit 4-3-3

and its always good to have a player available that can slot nicely into a formation change for 4-4-2 and even 4-5-1 playing off the lone striker...

the reason he was poor the second half of the season and he got un happy at cov is because he was played away from the center.

jansabo
22-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Norweagle
Mifsud wasnt bad when he played in Norway, with 11 goals in 19 appearances in the 2006 season. He is a really quick little striker (he is only 1.64m tall...) When Mifsud was in form he kinda reminded me of AJ. Sign him please!

At Lillestrøm he played classic 442 and was voted dickhead of the century by the fans. He`s quick and a handy dickhead. We already have Kuqi, why buy another player with attitude-problems?

Ref Coleman:
"We risk having an unhappy player on our hands and then losing him for nothing. If he feels his career is going to progress elsewhere there's nothing we can do about that."

This is what will happen after 1 year in our club if he has a sneeze of success. I bet he`s gor mirrors instead of windows in house - just loving himself to pieces.

No thank you! Besides he doesn`t fit our system as mentioned 20 times earlier. If we were to play 442 we would have kept Morrison instead...

jobiinthelastmi
22-07-2008, 02:06 PM
I think he lacks skill, he can't do anything with the ball at his feet.

All he can do is run, like Wayne Andrews. All his goals last season were flukey deflections anyway.

Don't compare him to AJ, there is no contest!

cpfc4evandeva
22-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by jansabo
At Lillestrøm he played classic 442 and was voted dickhead of the century by the fans. He`s quick and a handy dickhead.

:D

cpfcmazz
22-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by jobiinthelastmi
I think he lacks skill, he can't do anything with the ball at his feet.

All he can do is run, like Wayne Andrews. All his goals last season were flukey deflections anyway.

Don't compare him to AJ, there is no contest!

BS mate

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sfz2YnO3yu8

Celestial Empire
22-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Funny nobody has mentioned Clint - the player's nightmare: out of contract, dodgy injury just before the season starts ! Who will look after him ? :eek:

Norwoodguy
22-07-2008, 02:59 PM
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves - a player wanting to leave his current club being linked with various other CCC clubs.

I would think this is more to do with an agent trying to get as many clubs involved as possible.

limited_edition
22-07-2008, 03:31 PM

People talk about the 4-3-3 as if it's cast in stone. It won't be. It will be so long as we don't get in any natural wingers. A right footer on the right, and a left footer on the left. Yes, we have Ifill who can play either flank and can occasionally use his left peg (goals v Cov away and Watford away I think), but for how long before he stubs his toe again ?

Having said that, if I had to choose between either Kyle or Mifsud, I'd opt for the latter. KK's reputedly on high wages, criticised home fans, remind you of anyone ? Plus I don't think he's the same player since coming back from injury probs.

Mifsud is a little whippet. But for such a small player, he can take the knocks and physical play of CCC defenders. And his finishing isn't bad, either.

glaziers fan
22-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by limited_edition
It will be so long as we don't get in any natural wingers. A right footer on the right, and a left footer on the left. Yes, we have Ifill who can play either flank and can occasionally use his left peg (goals v Cov away and Watford away I think), but for how long before he stubs his toe again ?

Having said that, if I had to choose between either Kyle or Mifsud, I'd opt for the latter. KK's reputedly on high wages, criticised home fans, remind you of anyone ? Plus I don't think he's the same player since coming back from injury probs.

Mifsud is a little whippet. But for such a small player, he can take the knocks and physical play of CCC defenders. And his finishing isn't bad, either.

Agree with most of that. Misfud is potentially a Premiership player. Sign him up.

I think Dayton has a left foot btw ;)

dufski13
22-07-2008, 04:26 PM
hmm Not sure about Misfud myself. I've looked out for his performances since the 1st time we were linked with him & i've always felt he had a touch of the Wayne Andrews about him. Very Quick, but not great in front of goal. Mind you having said that I'd be happy for NW to get another striker with a bit of experience into the squad.

Palace_Man23
22-07-2008, 04:55 PM
i couldnt belive it when i found our he was 27. But i was probably suprised because of his height.

p4penny
22-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Just recall hearing his name frequently last season and thinking that we could do with someone like him who can score! Sign him up!

thefox
22-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Palace_Man23
i couldnt belive it when i found our he was 27. But i was probably suprised because of his height.

i thought he was younger too .

look at when this thread was started 6 and a quarter years ago :eek:

Chris K
22-07-2008, 08:35 PM
whats more he's talked about as a potential Clinton replacement. Nothing actually changes over time does it?

ZOHAR
22-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Coventry City manager Chris Coleman has said he will listen to offers for striker Michael Mifsud.

Last season's top scorer has indicated he wants to leave after attracting interest from elsewhere.

Mifsud has a year left on his contract but has told his manager he plans to submit a written transfer request.

"There's nothing we can do about that. We have to move on and if a club offers the right money for Michael we'll consider it," said Coleman.

Mifsud scored 17 times last season but went 19 matches without a goal in the latter part of the season and Coleman says whoever replaces the Maltese international will have to do better in the coming campaign.

He told BBC Coventry and Warwickshire; "Michael scored 11 in the league and if we're going to improve, our strikers will have to score more than that. But he was our highest goalscorer."

"He's got 12 months left on his contract and we risk losing him for nothing if we don't let him go," added Coleman.

Coventry have already signed Freddie Eastwood from Wolves in the summer and are expected to sign the former Crystal Palace striker Clinton Morrison.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/coventry_city/7520227.stm

Palace_Man23
22-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Good news, norwich signed lupoli and effectivley knocking out them of the equation, also bristol broke their transfer record on another stiker, possibly leaving us in poll position ?

cpfcfan1
22-07-2008, 10:02 PM
On the Bristol City 606 boards, their local papers are saying their new striker has gone missing and they have not been able to locate him! Ha

StudentEagle
22-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by cpfcfan1
On the Bristol City 606 boards, their local papers are saying their new striker has gone missing and they have not been able to locate him! Ha

Just had a quick look on OTIB, its really quite funny. They've gone and set a club record by signing this bloke, announced it, got the posing kit photo and then he goes and plays for his old club in Egypt (Gary Johnson having categorically stated he would not be allowed to do this). No word from the club since, only rumours in the local press and from Egypt that the whole thing has now fallen through.

So I guess they may be going after Mifsud instead, but I can't imagine Bristol wanting to do much until the whole Meteb fiasco is sorted.

adrenalin john
22-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by StudentEagle
So I guess they may be going after Mifsud instead, but I can't imagine Bristol wanting to do much until the whole Meteb fiasco is sorted.

Did they think they were signing Jay Tabb, but got mifused and signed Metab instead.

Kirby
23-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Apparantly Brizzle have had a bid accepted.

Kirby
23-07-2008, 09:09 AM

cpfcfan1
23-07-2008, 09:13 AM
http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10327~1349364,00.html

cpfcmazz
23-07-2008, 09:13 AM
yeh seems so

Ron Dogers
23-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Ok we almost go up, Coventry almost go down...........lets swap strikers?

cpfcfan1
23-07-2008, 09:18 AM
So there goes another one..

Next.

Chris K
23-07-2008, 09:27 AM
So there goes another one..

Next.

Er that doesn't mean he's going there, its just time to through our cap into the ring

Palace Don
23-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah but do we have the money? What bid would be enough to get him?

cpfcfan1
23-07-2008, 09:45 AM
1.5 million is the price so someone says on the 606 bored.

Palace Don
23-07-2008, 10:01 AM
I doubt wed get him then

Louis1974
23-07-2008, 10:06 AM
we must go in for him - we cannot be beaten to a cracking signing like him by Bristol City. There are not many good strikers about at a decent fee like this. Go for it NW.

jansabo
23-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Louis1974
we must go in for him - we cannot be beaten to a cracking signing like him by Bristol City. There are not many good strikers about at a decent fee like this. Go for it NW.

Why are people so obsessed in buying this fella? I would much rather have a decent player who fits in the team, then this dickhead of a maltese. He would never fit playing nothing else then 442, so why him when NW are planning to play 451/433. Besides, Mifsud has said he`s not interested playing out wide.....

Bounty_Killa
23-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Mosquito to fly into Robins' nest

Coventry have confirmed striker Michael Mifsud is in talks with Championship rivals Bristol City after the clubs agreed a fee for the player.

The Robins have been given permission to discuss terms with the Malta international, who scored 17 goals for the Sky Blues last season, after the player handed in a transfer request at the Ricoh Arena.

Coventry boss Chris Coleman said: "I spoke with Michael this week and he feels it is time for him to move on."

Bartman
23-07-2008, 10:22 AM
He is exactly what we need.

montstar
23-07-2008, 10:26 AM
I dont think he fits our set-up at all and rather we stayed away!

Doesnt seem like a team player and is def a 442 guy whereas we will be mostly 433 - one of the reasons he's apparently leaving Coventry

but hey thats my humble opinion!-)

Palace_Man23
23-07-2008, 10:27 AM
I became very annoyed when i found out hes going to bristol on ssn. GRRR.

So they get mifsud we'll end up with freaking Kyle !!!! :veryangry

cpfcfan1
23-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Someone like Stern John would suit us better..

Yes? No?

cpfc4evandeva
23-07-2008, 10:31 AM

Yes? No?

Definently No.

I'm not that miffed that he (mifsud) isn't coming here. £1.5 mil is about £500k too much imo.

And I don't expect Bristol City to make the play offs next year.

Palace_Man23
23-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Yes? No?

Yes and no hes a good target man but we could do with mifsuds pace etc. Also there no point discussing this as were not going to sign him !

Palace_Man23
23-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by cpfc4evandeva
Definently No.

I'm not that miffed that he (mifsud) isn't coming here. £1.5 mil is about £500k too much imo.

And I don't expect Bristol City to make the play offs next year.

I can see bristol doing a colchester ... high in the league one year the next relegation scrap. Always have thought that.

Jimbo ?
23-07-2008, 10:55 AM
I can see bristol doing a colchester ... high in the league one year the next relegation scrap. Always have thought that.

there are a few clubs who have done that, Ipswich in the premier is another. I have to agree though - I suspect they will struggle more this year although I think they will stay up

montstar
23-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Reading are another

second season itus

the first is its all going to be difficult and the second time around they think it wasnt that difficult but are unaware everyones caught on to them!

TC EAGLE
23-07-2008, 11:15 AM
I became very annoyed when i found out hes going to bristol on ssn. GRRR.

So they get mifsud we'll end up with freaking Kyle !!!! :veryangry

Coventry have accepted Brizzle's offer,he has not agreed terms yet still time for Palace to go in for him IF Warnock wants him

stinky
23-07-2008, 11:25 AM
hes a good target man

I thought Stern John was quite short? Or am I getting confused with someone else?

Palace_Man23
23-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by stinky
I thought Stern John was quite short? Or am I getting confused with someone else?

He is a target man quite tall and stocky.

gold76
23-07-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm guessing we wouldn't have the finanaces to buy Mifsud, unless Watson is sold?

He scored 17 goals in an average team, I think he could defo do a job here

John Likewise did very well for Southampton last year, I wouldn't be opposed to us going for him. (Anyone but Kyle!)

Ron Dogers
23-07-2008, 12:38 PM
I am 100% behind not getting into a pi$$ing contest over blokes like Lisbee and matey who went to Wolves from the Clowns, they are average guys worth a certain amount and no more. But seemingly not having the clout to be in for people like Mifsud, Eastwood, Dickinson etc does relegate us to the also rans IMHO.

Question to SJ.how many goals did our entire 1st team squad manage between them last year?

Don't try and buy cut-price parachutes, brain surgery or strikers I reckon

Beanie
23-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Louis1974
He's okay - but he's not THAT good and if Bristol City have offered £1.5m then they're welcome. I'd have said £1m plus a few bits tops.

dufski13
23-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by gold76
I'm guessing we wouldn't have the finanaces to buy Mifsud, unless Watson is sold?

John Likewise did very well for Southampton last year, I wouldn't be opposed to us going for him. (Anyone but Kyle!)

He scored 11 league goals, interestingly Cookie says he expects a greater goal return from his strikers, hence his interest in one Clinton Morrison. Grrrrr. This whole sordid striker affair upsets me, & the club will probably get what they probably deserve, which is an over paid mediocre mercenary. Cetainly that is all Misfud is.

dufski13
23-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by gold76

He scored 11 league goals, interestingly Cookie says he expects a greater goal return from his strikers, hence his interest in one Clinton Morrison. Grrrrr. This whole sordid striker affair upsets me, & the club will probably get what they probably deserve, which is an over paid mediocre mercenary. Cetainly that is all Misfud is.

Homes
23-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by jansabo
Why are people so obsessed in buying this fella? I would much rather have a decent player who fits in the team, then this dickhead of a maltese. He would never fit playing nothing else then 442, so why him when NW are planning to play 451/433. Besides, Mifsud has said he`s not interested playing out wide.....

Beanie
23-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Homes
Besides your ignorant outburst who is available now for 1.5 that is better
Who knows - a week ago Mifsud wasn't available. The point would be is he worth £1.5m to Palace, and I don't think he is. He's not a target man, he's similar to Moses and Scannell, and probably not as flexible (bearing in mind both have played quite effectively wide) or naturally talented as either. We'd only be buying experience which, whilst important, isn't worth that much for a club who would be pushing it to find the money.

Beanie
23-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Sorry - double post

Son of Coveta
23-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Saw him play when he was playing for lillestrom out in norway bloody good little player and was man of the match the two times i saw.He was playing in 4 3 3 then and looked good, scored some good goals too.

dufski13
23-07-2008, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Homes
What do you mean dickhead of a Maltese? Besides your ignorant outburst who is available now for 1.5 that is better [/QUOTE

Whilst being with you entirely on the criticism of the Dickhead maltese comment, can I just counter your point about anyone better for the money . If there isn't anyone better then can we not spend the money & wait until there is, he isn't worth that sort of money, neither is he good enough to progress us from where we were.
The 2 young strikers we've signed excite me, they cost very little , won't be on big wages & we don't know what we're going to get from them. Signings like Misfud are simply not going to take us forwards as we hoped & expected for this season. I would rather we stayed with the meagre striking resources at our disposal than throw good money after bad.

Kyle De Silva
23-07-2008, 02:10 PM
bristol city look to have won the race to get him but maybe we cud come with a sneaky bid, i think he'd be a good player 4 us

Jay_Palace
23-07-2008, 02:18 PM
1.5 is far too much for a 27 year old, who blew hot and cold last season and is entering into final year of his contract. 1 million tops is more realistic.

chav_hater
23-07-2008, 02:28 PM
1.5mn is too much for a player of his standard. 1mn max.

Dario G
23-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Hate to piss on people chips but the club has no money. Mccarthy and Carle have been funded by the eventual sale of Watson. We have brought in 2 strikers for next to nothing. The only other transfer in could be Sinclair or another striker only if we get rid of Kuqi. This aint gonna happen folks....

Crunchie
23-07-2008, 02:35 PM
I think Webber is a better player, and more versitile.

ngg3
23-07-2008, 02:37 PM
what you've got to think about is that if he was THAT gd dowie would av gone in for him like he does with every gd player thats ever played under him because he doesn't have the imagination to find new players highlighted by him wanting watson and andy johnson lol and signing borrowdale and michael hughes last year

dufski13
23-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by ngg3
what you've got to think about is that if he was THAT gd dowie would av gone in for him like he does with every gd player thats ever played under him because he doesn't have the imagination to find new players highlighted by him wanting watson and andy johnson lol and signing borrowdale and michael hughes last year

That is the 1st time that Borrowdale & good have ever been used in the same sentence together without the words - you're not very !

Kyle De Silva
23-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Dario G
Hate to piss on people chips but the club has no money. Mccarthy and Carle have been funded by the eventual sale of Watson. We have brought in 2 strikers for next to nothing. The only other transfer in could be Sinclair or another striker only if we get rid of Kuqi. This aint gonna happen folks.... with the sales of kuqi and watson, we will have enough funds to bring in a proven goalscorer and scott sincair

Eagle_P
23-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Dario, in terms of transfers SJ has always said if its a player the manager wants then he will always back his manager with funds to buy players.

I would think he also trusts Warnock more than any other manager with thier history and friendship so would imagine he would support Neil 110% when it comes to purchasing players so dont be surprised to see Jordan spend a few more £££'s in player purchases.

kolinkins
23-07-2008, 05:46 PM
He's not even that good.

jobiinthelastmi
23-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by kolinkins
He's not even that good.

Exactly!

He has zero skill! he can't do anything with the ball.

He's just a run and shoot player, nothing more!

jansabo
23-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Son of Coveta
Saw him play when he was playing for lillestrom out in norway bloody good little player and was man of the match the two times i saw.He was playing in 4 3 3 then and looked good, scored some good goals too.

Hmmm, Lillestrom playing well in 433, sounds unrealistic. They have played 442 in more then 90 % of their matches the last 10 years. Are you sure you don`t confuse him with Robert Koren? ;)

adrenalin john
23-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Bristol city's bid has been accepted, anyone know how much?

Also with their other signing will he walk like an Egyptian or make the Maltese cross?

Looking forward to some Mediterranean mayhem in the west *****y

ZOHAR
23-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Bristol City have had a bid accepted by Coventry for Michael Mifsud.

Norwich and Crystal Palace were linked yesterday with a move for the diminutive front-man after he had a transfer request accepted at the Ricoh, but it is the West Country outfit that have made the first move for the man capped over 50 times by Malta.

Coventry chairman Ray Ranson confirmed to the Sky Blues` official website earlier today that Bristol City had matched their valuation for last season`s top scorer:

"Michael has indicated to the manager that he is not happy at the club and is in the process of handing in a written transfer request, so we have to accept that he will move on.

'Bristol City have come in with an offer that we believe is acceptable for a striker who scored 17 goals last season and we have given them permission to speak to Michael and his representatives.'

http://www.norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=116736

glaziers fan
23-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by jobiinthelastmi
Exactly!

He has zero skill! he can't do anything with the ball.

He's just a run and shoot player, nothing more!

like AJ

adrenalin john
23-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Emad Moteab's transfer to Bristol City is apparently on the wobble, which is why they have gone for the maltese ego.

If I were an Egyptian I would certainly prefer London over Brizzle....

He looks fantastic on (papyrus) paper anyone sphinx we could land this mummy?

ZOHAR
25-07-2008, 05:24 PM
And the South London Press understands that rumours the Eagles could join the bidding for Coventry’s Michael Misfud, in talks over a £1million switch to Bristol City, are untrue.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=11774

ZOHAR
27-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Bristol City expect to complete the signing of Coventry striker Michael Mifsud on Monday after he passed a medical at the club.

The 27-year-old Maltese international has agreed personal terms with the Robins after they had an undisclosed bid accepted by Coventry last week.

Mifsud scored 17 times last season but went 19 games without finding the net in the second half of the campaign.

City are hoping to announce another signing in the next few days

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bristol_city/7521153.stm

Stigma
27-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by ZOHAR
Bristol City expect to complete the signing of Coventry striker Michael Mifsud on Monday [/url]

Good news..phew:)

Clapham Grand
27-07-2008, 10:24 PM
We have put in a bid for him - about £1m - but personal terms could be a stumbling block

David Amsalem
27-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Cheers CG :p

I think I would like him to sign just to p*ss of Bristol City.

Purchased their best player and stole there number one target :p

chav_hater
27-07-2008, 10:27 PM
cheers gc.

Richardleo
27-07-2008, 11:10 PM
NEIL WARNOCK has made a last-ditch bid to wreck Bristol City’s £1.5m move for Michael Mifsud.

Crystal Palace boss Warnock is ready to pounce for the wantaway Maltese striker after a fee was agreed with Coventry on Saturday.

(From The Sun on Monday 28th)

GreatGonzo
27-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Wow, onder where will will sit in City's most hated list if we take Mfsud? :D

StudentEagle
27-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by David Amsalem
Cheers CG :p

I think I would like him to sign just to p*ss of Bristol City.

Purchased their best player and stole there number one target :p

Their number two target - number one (Meteb) they seem to have screwed up all by themselves :lux:

GreatGonzo
27-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Their number two target - number one (Meteb) they seem to have screwed up all by themselves :lux:

No he screwed that up by failing to comply with their request.

All they asked to do was not to play in a game. Not much to ask except it was the equivilent of:

Palace V Brighton
Celtic V Rangers
Arsenal V Spurs
United V City
Liverpool V Everton

Not much to ask is it.

What bloody difference does it make?

GodstoneEagle
27-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Richardleo
NEIL WARNOCK has made a last-ditch bid to wreck Bristol City’s £1.5m move for Michael Mifsud.

Crystal Palace boss Warnock is ready to pounce for the wantaway Maltese striker after a fee was agreed with Coventry on Saturday.

(From The Sun on Monday 28th) seems like the sun does have sources :p

good effort jacko :p

SharkMan
27-07-2008, 11:50 PM
I'd like misfud at selhurst, he's a decent player. Sounds like Bristol have it all wrapped uo already tho having agreed terms and medical. Just have to see what happens, he's hardly the target man style striker Warnock seems to be seeking.

GreatGonzo
27-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Warnock has Scowie, Thomas and Andrew as target men.

The nippy players are what we are missing with Ifill, Scannell and Moses fighting for 2 places.

littlecsaesar
28-07-2008, 07:29 AM
BBC reckon that Warnock has made a last ditch bid, with Watson going to Brum financing the deal.

cpfcben
28-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Although I think he is a decent player this is not type of player we should be looking for. We need a target man who can score goals. So far we have Scowcroft and two very unproven centre forwards from the lower leagues.

We have the likes of Scannell/ Moses / Ifill / Dayton/ Sinclair? to fill the wide roles.
I also remember Michael saying he doesing like playing in a front three.

Freddy Kurz
28-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by GodstoneEagle
seems like the sun does have sources :p

good effort jacko :p

Whoever said the "Sun" DOESN'T have sources?

The issue is that all too often the Murdoch media misuses
these sources for the benefit of the mega rich clubs at
the expense of the poor ones and to boost circulation
and TV subscriptions....

danpalacefan5
28-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock has made a last-ditch bid to sign Coventry's Michael Mifsud from under the noses of Bristol City. (The Sun)

Chris K
28-07-2008, 07:55 AM
interesting :)

henryhallandhisbasque
28-07-2008, 08:01 AM
If we are looking for somebody who'll actually score some goals this season, Mifsud is the right man at this level of football. If we'd rather not score a lot of goals, then best not to get involved.

philsick
28-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by henryhallandhisbasque
If we are looking for somebody who'll actually score some goals this season, Mifsud is the right man at this level of football. If we'd rather not score a lot of goals, then best not to get involved.

LOL.

Tis true ,this obsession with targetmen is getting tedious.I would be pleased with misfud.

OneSize
28-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Dont think we need a player like him at the moment. We have loads of wide players. We could use 1.5M much better

stevek
28-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
Warnock has Scowie, Thomas and Andrew as target men.

The nippy players are what we are missing with Ifill, Scannell and Moses fighting for 2 places. Plus other youngsters (some of whom I would have thought are as ready for CC first team action as Thomas).

Brett
28-07-2008, 08:42 AM
£1m is a bit steep for someone who wants to leave.

Stigma
28-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Has a terrible personality (at least he did when he played in Norway)..but don't let that stop us..:(

I don't think we would be "big enough" for him..in his eyes..not for long at least..

The Gerry Queen
28-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Neither Gary Johnson nor Neil Warnock are fools and both know what they need to fire up a successful promotion challenge to several clubs currently fush with money.
Given our financial position and the fact that we have less than 2 weeks to go to the start of the season I think that signing Misfud, a proven goal scorer, for £1.5m is a gamble worth taking. I would reckon Warnock would also want another striker to complete the squad for the moment
What price an eleventh hour reconciliation for Morrison ?

cpfcfan1
28-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Didn't it say in some article that we are bidding for Misfud is untrue?

cpfcfan1
28-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Says this in the Mirror..

Birmingham City manager Alex McLeish has lined-up a £2m bid for Crystal Palace midfielder Ben Watson. The Blues' opening offer of £1.5m for the former England under-21 international was rejected earlier this month.

Should Watson be sold, Palace manager Neil Warnock may use the cash to snap up Coventry City striker Michael Mifsud, who is thought to be close to a deal with the south London club.

Voldo
28-07-2008, 08:59 AM
that was a few days ago--

CG has confirmed we have bid in the region of 1m

[EDIT] - In response to cpfcfan1's first post

Big Blue Eagle
28-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by cpfcben
Although I think he is a decent player this is not type of player we should be looking for. We need a target man who can score goals. So far we have Scowcroft and two very unproven centre forwards from the lower leagues.

We have the likes of Scannell/ Moses / Ifill / Dayton/ Sinclair? to fill the wide roles.
I also remember Michael saying he doesing like playing in a front three.

We don't need a target man to score goals - we need a forward line and midfield to score goals, we also need cover in the forward positions. At present we have three players who, seemingly, play the target man role in Scowcroft, Thomas & Andrew - the latter two are raw certainly but have potential.

We have Moses, Scannell & Ifill ( when fit) for the wide roles, plus possibly Dayton as a cover, and maybe Sinclair - but only from later in the year as Chelsea don't seem to be releasing him until the autumn - therefore we need another player for the wide striker role - hence Misfud.

cpfcfan1
28-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Not sure how true this is but I found an article saying City can not afford his wage demands.

MICHAEL MIFSUD'S move from Coventry City to Bristol City is hanging in the balance.

The Maltese international had been expected to join the Robins after the Sky Blues agreed a fee for the striker, thought be worth around £1.5million.

Mifsud, who scored 17 goals for the Sky Blues last season, travelled to Ashton Gate at the end of last week to discuss personal terms and a medical.

However the move has now been thrown into doubt after City boss Gary Johnson refused to meet Mifsud's wage demands.

Mifsud had positive talks with the Robins but has been told that the offer on the table is final and, unless he has a change of heart, Johnson will turn his attentions elsewhere.

At least two other Championship clubs are monitoring the situation, but Bristol would be Mifsud’s first choice as it offers him the chance to rekindle his partnership with Sky Blues old boy Dele Adebola.

(CrystalEagle)
28-07-2008, 09:09 AM
To be fair i think Mifsud will put pen to paper for City today! I as many people still feel we need 2 Proven people up front in this league, Scowie is a good hard working player who will get us about 10 goals this season but looking past that its hard to see who the 20+ man will be, Maybe its Moses season to shine aswell as Scannells, People saying Dougie can still do a job need to wake up, Yeah he is and has been a great player and servant to this club but his days are numbered! Be good to see what CA and Thomas will do strange that Thomas is in his early 20's and no one till this summer had shown any intrest in him but i kind of trust NW view on him if he bangs a couple in for us it will have been a good deal! But one thing i would like to see is our scouts mentioning some talent from abroad if all of NW targets in this country have moved on (Which there is not alot of strikers left surley who he was interested in at the start of pre season) I think everyone would agree we dont want to spend 1.5-2m on a striker who will flop as kuqi did!

sydnsteve
28-07-2008, 09:26 AM
He maybe a prat, but he soces goals and if we don't get someone in who does that we can kiss this season goodbye.

(CrystalEagle)
28-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Just reading a bit on the holmesdale some city fan said this,

Hi, Brizzle City fan here

Would be well annoyed if you lot snap up Mifsud from under our noses. He was looking around Bristol on Saturday and apparently liked what he saw, so to have him potentially go to you lot instead at the last minute would be most frustrating for us Reds, especially with 2 weeks to go and no new strikers on board yet!!

As for Nicky Carle (who seems to have invaded this thread), I can tell you that you guys have a wonderful player. He only ever had 1 assist for City and never scored, but he was quite unfit at the time. Even then though his class shone through. He really could be a Selhurst favourite.

It would have been good for us if we had done a straight swap for Carle with Watson - but not sure there was much chance of that ever happening apart from in my head!

Cheers

GreatGonzo
28-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by stevek
Plus other youngsters (some of whom I would have thought are as ready for CC first team action as Thomas).

We have a couple of eciting youngsters and Djilali looks quick and direct but i have doubts over Dayton and as we saw last year you cannot rely on youngsters week in week out.

The support strikers area is still the place i think we will see our last signing. NW knows he cannot risk everything on maybe getting sinclair in a few months time.

Aaroncpfc
28-07-2008, 09:45 AM
If we sign Misfud I sure hope there's still enough money in the kitty to sign a big striker. I don't feel comfortable relying on Sowcroft to be fit and consistant for the whole season.

PJJY
28-07-2008, 09:59 AM
He's a very good CC striker and someone who is able to get 15 goals a season (what we're lacking now Morrison's gone).

Would be an excellent signing IMO (though it looks as if Bristol City are very close to getting him)

CP Satellite
28-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by (CrystalEagle)
Just reading a bit on the holmesdale some city fan said this,

Hi, Brizzle City fan here

Would be well annoyed if you lot snap up Mifsud from under our noses. He was looking around Bristol on Saturday and apparently liked what he saw, so to have him potentially go to you lot instead at the last minute would be most frustrating for us Reds, especially with 2 weeks to go and no new strikers on board yet!!

As for Nicky Carle (who seems to have invaded this thread), I can tell you that you guys have a wonderful player. He only ever had 1 assist for City and never scored, but he was quite unfit at the time. Even then though his class shone through. He really could be a Selhurst favourite.

It would have been good for us if we had done a straight swap for Carle with Watson - but not sure there was much chance of that ever happening apart from in my head!

Cheers

I've followed Mifsud's progress since he was first rumoured to be joining Palace a couple of season's ago - he was just the type of player that was lacking under Taylor at the start of last season - plenty of pace and a good finish if supplied with the right pass.

We could have got him for next to nothing too - but he ended up at Cov - and did far better than I imagined he would.

I've seen Nicky Carle play a few times for Palace this pre-season - and he is shaping up very well - although, as with all the players, it's difficult to guage just how good he will be until we play teams from our own level!

Kevin Mabbutt is still a legend with older Palace fans - and that was after a very brief career - let's hope Nicky lasts a bit longer - but he is already settling in nicely. If anything, Nicky's only fault I can see at present is a lack of a finish - which is where somebody like Mifsud would come in useful - as Nicky looks to be spot on with the final pass into the box.

PJJY
28-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Fear that we have left this abit too late.

According to alot of posters on the Brizzle site he's been shown around Bristol, bought his wife up there and agreed personal terms and should be confirmed soon

jansabo
28-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Stigma
Has a terrible personality (at least he did when he played in Norway)..but don't let that stop us..:(

I don't think we would be "big enough" for him..in his eyes..not for long at least..

Couldn`t agree more, was hated at his own club Lillestrøm despite scoring goals. Was known as a ego person and footballer, wouldn`t want him near our club. He`ll try to use Palace or Bristol city as a springboard against new clubs, would never stay here for more then a season!

cpfcfan1
28-07-2008, 11:32 AM
MICHAEL MIFSUD has been left out of Coventry City's squad for today's friendly at Cambridge as he negotiates his move from the Ricoh Arena.

But the £1.5 million deal that would take him to Ashton Gate is hanging in the balance because Bristol City are refusing to match the Maltese striker's wage demands.

Mifsud had positive talks with the Robins yesterday but has been told that the offer on the table is final and, unless he has a change of heart over the weekend, manager Gary Johnson will turn his attentions elsewhere.

At least two other Championship clubs are monitoring the situation, but Bristol would be Mifsud's first choice as it offers him the chance to rekindle his partnership with Sky Blues old boy Dele Adebola.

Celestial Empire
28-07-2008, 12:45 PM
IMHO, it's quite telling that Coleman was content to let him go, and that ID has made no attempt to bring him to the "QPR revolution".:rolleyes:

cdm61
28-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Can't see that he'd bring to us that we haven't got - although has more experience than Sean of Victor - not the target man we need - IMHO

cpfcfan1
28-07-2008, 12:59 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1039221/Palace-plan-hijack-Bristols-1m-bid-Coventrys-Mifsud.html

Story is now in the Mail

<_tece_>
28-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Under Warnock though there appears to be no smoke without fire... unlike recent regimes.

<_tece_>
28-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Unless the BBS has become so powerful that it can create smoke without fire?

Congrats Dave. One more reason to stay on.

sydnsteve
28-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by cdm61
Can't see that he'd bring to us that we haven't got - although has more experience than Sean of Victor - not the target man we need - IMHO

We need a goal scorer, not another target man. If Moses and Scannell bang them in then great, but they are much too young to give that responsibility to. We need a proven CCC scorer or we'll go nowhere. Mifsu fits the bill.

sam bater
28-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Apparently according to this thread he maybe talking terms with us, although could be all bollocks.

Fingers Crossed x x

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=103386

Stigma
28-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah..fingers crossed it's bollocks...;)

spt1978
28-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Please happen just to piss Bristol off!

CHERRY TREE BRB
28-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by spt1978

My thoughts exactly, forget the clowns down the road. Bristol City are proper rivals now

GreatGonzo
28-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
IMHO, it's quite telling that Coleman was content to let him go, and that ID has made no attempt to bring him to the "QPR revolution".:rolleyes:

Tells me he is on £11k a week and Coleman wants to reduce the wage bill and ID has never been any good with attack minded forigners.

Not buying a player because Iain Dowie is not interested should IMO be reason enough to commit someone to a lunatic asylum. :D

Fat Andy
28-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Misfud wants to leave. I may be wrong but think he's got a year left on his contract, same situation as Watson with us, doesn't mean Coleman don't want him, just that it makes sense for Cov to sell now, same as us with Watson.

sydnsteve
28-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Why would people not want to sign a goal scorer?

Stellavista
28-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by sydnsteve

Why would people not want to sign a goal scorer?

Exactly. He scored 17 goals in a very, very poor Coventry side. Imagine what he might do with real service from Carle, Moses, and Scannell....

Bristol City fans appear to be sh*tting themselves that this won't go through, and can't understand why Palace might be a more attractive proposition.
They may do very well this season, but they seem a bit cocksure that one good season in the Championship guarantees a top five finish in the second year. Isn't that a bit naive?

I do suspect that Mifsud's personal terms will be a sticking point for us. We seem to run a pretty tight ship wages wise now, and I think Bristol City are likely to have offered more than we would be willing to.
Of course, the Palace talk could just be about his agent putting the squeeze on Brizzle, to see if their terms could be improved.........

AJ
28-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Stellavista

I do suspect that Mifsud's personal terms will be a sticking point for us. We seem to run a pretty tight ship wages wise now, and I think Bristol City are likely to have offered more than we would be willing to.

May not be...ever wondered what Morrison was on? I am guessing somewhere in that region. Kuqi is probably on similar too.

Voldo
28-07-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm enjoying reading the BC forum - they are getting rather worried this might fall through...

Oh, and it cracks me up the way some of their fans bang on about Nick Carle and how they didn't want to keep him.

Others are not so bitter and are clearly concerned with their summer transfer dealings. This deal just got interesting, 9k a week being reported to.

Stellavista
28-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by AJ
May not be...ever wondered what Morrison was on? I am guessing somewhere in that region. Kuqi is probably on similar too.

I can't see that we are going to offer anyone 9K (470K a year) a week.....

cpfcfan1
28-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Well he hasnt signed for Bristol yet, unless it gets done tomorrow.

ooRya
28-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by spt1978

Now that's not very nice is it! :sob:

Can't think why he would want to come to you though......as he is tiny and will get neck ache watching the ball woosh over his head all day.

(well....you started it! :o )

Fat Andy
28-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Now London media sources are claiming that Palace boss Neil Warnock is interesting in the striker who scored never to be forgotten goals against Manchester United in the League Cup last season and 15 other goals.

The deal appears to be floundering on wages with Mifsud having to take a cut to sign for Bristol City whilst Palace could pay in the region of the £9k a week that he is getting playing for the Sky Blues.

jansabo
28-07-2008, 04:33 PM
I`m 100% sure Michael Mifsud is going to choose the club giving him the most money, and then he`ll stay at the club for a season or two, getting bored and demand a change of club. He has done this at Lillestrøm and now Coventry, why should he change his crappy attitude. I hope he goes to Bristol City, they deserve each other ;)

limited_edition
28-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by ooRya
Now that's not very nice is it! :sob:

Can't think why he would want to come to you though......as he is tiny and will get neck ache watching the ball woosh over his head all day.

(well....you started it! :o ) He'll get neckache at City looking at all the hoofed balls up to Adebola. He'll watch Dele go on a mazy run then feck up with a tame shot at the end, when the easy option was to flick it on for him to chase with his pace. Yep, Dele hasn't changed much since his Selhurst days.

AJ
28-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Stellavista
I can't see that we are going to offer anyone 9K (470K a year) a week.....

I think you will be surprised. Watson was apparantly offered a deal that would make him Palace's highest paid player. Consider the money that players like Kuqi, Derry, Fletcher, Scowcroft and Freedman must be on? and then better it?

Also, an upside of having so many youngster in the team is that their(the young players) salaries are lower than an older more experienced player. I dount many of the players who have come throught the ranks are currently on more than 4k a week and that includes Watson and Soares. But, then again, I could be totally wrong!

UEAgle
28-07-2008, 04:45 PM
2 bids accepted. It's up to the player.

cpfcfan1
28-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by UEAgle

Sauce ;)

GDP
28-07-2008, 04:54 PM
He'll get neckache at City looking at all the hoofed balls up to Adebola.

:D

Kyle De Silva
28-07-2008, 04:57 PM
if this happens this will be so funny. he'll be a good signing, hes a goalscorer.

Palace_Man23
28-07-2008, 04:57 PM
He'll get neckache at City looking at all the hoofed balls up to Adebola. He'll watch Dele go on a mazy run then feck up with a tame shot at the end, when the easy option was to flick it on for him to chase with his pace. Yep, Dele hasn't changed much since his Selhurst days.

hah.

Brizzie HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF

Kyle De Silva
28-07-2008, 05:10 PM
2 bids accepted. It's up to the player. where did you see this?

lanepe
28-07-2008, 06:51 PM

Come on UAE - tell us more

Chris K
28-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by lanepe

its on the farmer's site:

The report says that Cov accepted an offer from Colin on Saturday, so i presume that his agent would have had to make him aware.

PJJY
28-07-2008, 07:10 PM
The fact we've had a bid accepted by Cov's been on quite alot of reports now.

It's definately just down to who can offer the highest wage and which city his wife takes a liking to more

UEAgle
28-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by lanepe

Bit of a friend of a friend source, but one that's come up trumps for me many times before. Both us and City have had cash bids accepted, and it's now down to personal terms etc. Fingers crossed, he'd complete an excellent summer's transfer dealings in my opinion.

CP Satellite
28-07-2008, 07:19 PM
The City fans on this thread http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=103386&st=135&start=135
now seem to think they have missed the boat - as the word was he would be signed up today.

I've liked the way Mifsud plays, in a way, similar to AJ in that he will make a quick rush into the box and has been shown to have a decent finish on him. With the signing of Carle, Palace would have plenty of ammunition to feed 'The Mosqiuito'!

Paulie Walnuts
28-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by PJJY

which city his wife takes a liking to more

Palace it is then :clown: :clown:

Jason
28-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Bit of a friend of a friend source, but one that's come up trumps for me many times before. Both us and City have had cash bids accepted, and it's now down to personal terms etc. Fingers crossed, he'd complete an excellent summer's transfer dealings in my opinion.

Strange signing imho. Good player, but I really don't see where he'd fit into our system

beef
28-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Surely this is the kind of guy you want up front if we intend to play our 451/433?

stevek
28-07-2008, 07:32 PM
He'll get neckache at City looking at all the hoofed balls up to Adebola. He'll watch Dele go on a mazy run then feck up with a tame shot at the end, when the easy option was to flick it on for him to chase with his pace. Yep, Dele hasn't changed much since his Selhurst days. To be fair, he's probably got a fair idea what it's like to play with Dele.

eagles #1
28-07-2008, 07:33 PM
My mum would be happy, she's half Maltese :)

Bobsta
28-07-2008, 07:45 PM
i've got a good feeling he'll end up here and do very well for us

Jason
28-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by eagles #1
My mum would be happy, she's half Maltese :)

As is mine. Having a MAltese player would be kinda cool for that reason alone . . . .still don't think he's what we need though. We need a target man for that centre forward role.

And we seem to be devloping a habit of letting players going on a free, and then going to the clubs those players went to in odeto pay fees for players who are no better than the ones w let go . .. .bit of a worry !

Godstone Eagle
28-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Would be very happy if he signed

Sandowneagle
28-07-2008, 07:57 PM
very clear from nw on bbc london. We have not bid for mifsud, i will never bid for him. Its a made up story by the sun.

stinky
28-07-2008, 07:59 PM
could he be trying to keep things on the 'down low', so to speak?

cpfcfan1
28-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Hm all very confusing this. According to a Poster on the 606 Cov board Mifud has been training with the Cov youth team.

UEAgle
28-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Sandowneagle
very clear from nw on bbc london. We have not bid for mifsud, i will never bid for him. Its a made up story by the sun.

Really? My source has severely let me down on this one if true. Annoying, as I regarded him as pretty reliable (knew of Flahaven and Andrew long before they were tied up, for instance).

ZOHAR
28-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Palace Linked To Mifsud

Crystal Palace could be lining up an eleventh hour bid to snatch Coventry City striker Michael Mifsud away from Bristol City.

The striker has been allowed to leave City and the Bristol City Chairman announced yesterday that the Maltese international had agreed terms and passed a medical.

Now London media sources are claiming that Palace boss Neil Warnock is interesting in the striker who scored never to be forgotten goals against Manchester United in the League Cup last season and 15 other goals.

The deal appears to be floundering on wages with Mifsud having to take a cut to sign for Bristol City whilst Palace could pay in the region of the £9k a week that he is getting playing for the Sky Blues.

http://www.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=399267

pedro
28-07-2008, 08:06 PM
If CG says we have made a bid for Mifsud that is good enough for me. I believe CG over NW any day. :p

Sandowneagle
28-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by pedro
If CG says we have made a bid for Mifsud that is good enough for me. I believe CG over NW any day. :p cg maybe correct, he normally is but nw insinuated that mifsud is not his type of player and the story is an absolute joke. My info from cov is that it is best we want, i wonder if that is the offer to cov we made.

CHERRY TREE BRB
28-07-2008, 08:28 PM
I have a feeling we'll have Mifsud and Brown by the end of the week, if we do we are serious title contenders, they are the final pieces of very positive looking squad

Kyle De Silva
28-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by CHERRY TREE BRB
I have a feeling we'll have Mifsud and Brown by the end of the week, if we do we are serious title contenders, they are the final pieces of very positive looking squad I'll be dreaming all week for this to happen, i hope we get mifsud though.

UEAgle
28-07-2008, 08:50 PM
We won't get Brown, and we don't need him.

Kyle De Silva
28-07-2008, 08:52 PM
mifsud to be signed by friday :D

CHERRY TREE BRB
28-07-2008, 08:53 PM
We won't get Brown, and we don't need him.

Warnock loves the guy, im sure he'll be doing whatever it takes to get him, now he has fallen from favour at Wigan, i'm 90% sure we're gonna see him in Red and Blue pretty soon, even its on loan.

Would be an absolute fantastic signing, on a par with Birmingham's signing of Carsley

CHERRY TREE BRB
28-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Kyle De Silva
mifsud to be signed by friday :D

I so hope your right, and with Michael Brown too hopefully

PJJY
28-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Why so sure on Brown?

Only talk of this has been in the 'People' and nothing since. No quotes from NW, Bruce or Brown.

Jay_Palace
28-07-2008, 08:57 PM
cg maybe correct, he normally is but nw insinuated that mifsud is not his type of player and the story is an absolute joke. My info from cov is that it is best we want, i wonder if that is the offer to cov we made.

Warnock is a master of playing the media and deliberately throwing people off the scent of the players he is tracking.

UEAgle
28-07-2008, 08:59 PM
We really don't need Brown. In a 3 Soares is much better for us.

CHERRY TREE BRB
28-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Warnock stated at an evening with before Xmas, that Michael Brown was his favourite current player and one of the best he's ever worked with, now if there was a glimmer of hope that he could sign him again,im sure he'll be going all out to do exactly that

cpfcfan1
28-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Sheffield United are interested too, I'd say he would go back to his old club.

UEAgle
28-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Warnock stated at an evening with before Xmas, that Michael Brown was his favourite current player and one of the best he's ever worked with, now if there was a glimmer of hope that he could sign him again,im sure he'll be going all out to do exactly that

Where do you reckon we can get £2 million from? The money from Ben's sale has more or less already been spent.

Walrus
28-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Signing Mifsud would see us playing a lot more like NW's Blades sides of previous years. Direct, but not target man-type direct.

Moses, Scannel and Mifsud as the 3......don't tell me you're not liking the sound of that!

Kyle De Silva
28-07-2008, 09:15 PM
sounds better than ever to me

jansabo
28-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Walrus
Signing Mifsud would see us playing a lot more like NW's Blades sides of previous years. Direct, but not target man-type direct.

Moses, Scannel and Mifsud as the 3......don't tell me you're not liking the sound of that!

No target man amongst the top-3 sounds a little bit difficult against teams laying low defending... We need a Scowie type of player if meant to plat 433 or 451....

Kyle De Silva
28-07-2008, 09:41 PM
bristol city forum, few people gettin excited about mifsud because nw said he doesnt want him, when we all know hes going to sign for us. if he was going to sign for them, it would of happend by now, right?

cpfcfan1
28-07-2008, 09:46 PM
This was on the Cov 606 forum

According to a member on Sky Blues Talk. (www.skybluestalk.co.uk)

Mifsud has been training with the youth team today rather than being in Bristol negotiating.

Although it does say he isn't part of the first team now but hasn't been in Bristol as suggested.

Barbara4003
28-07-2008, 09:50 PM
This was on the Cov 606 forum

According to a member on Sky Blues Talk. (www.skybluestalk.co.uk)

Mifsud has been training with the youth team today rather than being in Bristol negotiating.

Although it does say he isn't part of the first team now but hasn't been in Bristol as suggested.

With the Coventry youth team or ours, do you mean?

cpfcfan1
28-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Barbara4003
With the Coventry youth team or ours, do you mean?

Theirs I guess going by that article

eastern eagle
28-07-2008, 10:11 PM
cg maybe correct, he normally is but nw insinuated that mifsud is not his type of player and the story is an absolute joke. My info from cov is that it is best we want, i wonder if that is the offer to cov we made.

For what it's worth.............

We have made a bid for Mifsud but it is cash plus a player (Fletcher??/Kuqi?? who knows and not even worth guessing).

We have not spoken to the player because Coventry would prefer all cash BUT if it falls through with Bristol City they might allow us to talk to the player.

That puts it at about 10/1 we get him.

Kyle De Silva
28-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by eastern eagle
For what it's worth.............

We have made a bid for Mifsud but it is cash plus a player (Fletcher??/Kuqi?? who knows and not even worth guessing).

We have not spoken to the player because Coventry would prefer all cash BUT if it falls through with Bristol City they might allow us to talk to the player.

That puts it at about 10/1 we get him. How do u know this?

eastern eagle
28-07-2008, 10:19 PM
How do u know this?

Kyle,

Various contacts who have been equally right and wrong in who we sign!!

Mind you the fact we don't sign some/most of them doesn't mean their information about our interest was wrong.

And before you ask..................No they are not associated with Palace.:p

limited_edition
28-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by eagles #1
My mum would be happy, she's half Maltese :) And if he doesn't you'll see a Maltese cross, I take it ? Coat.

StudentEagle
28-07-2008, 10:23 PM
This is all very confusing. Bristol chairman saying he'd sign for them today, other sources saying Mifsud can't agree terms with Bristol, further sources saying we've had a bid accepted, even more sources saying we've made a bid but its not yet accepted and then NW himself saying he's made no bid at all.

I think I may try to ignore Transfer Hotline for a few days :)

Kyle De Silva
28-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by eastern eagle
Kyle,

Various contacts who have been equally right and wrong in who we sign!!

Mind you the fact we don't sign some/most of them doesn't mean their information about our interest was wrong.

And before you ask..................No they are not associated with Palace.:p i just wanted to know about the swap thing :p

pedro
28-07-2008, 10:27 PM
This is all very confusing. Bristol chairman saying he'd sign for them today, other sources saying Mifsud can't agree terms with Bristol, further sources saying we've had a bid accepted, even more sources saying we've made a bid but its not yet accepted and then NW himself saying he's made no bid at all.
Which part do you find confusing? :D

limited_edition
28-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Warnock stated at an evening with before Xmas, that Michael Brown was his favourite current player and one of the best he's ever worked with, now if there was a glimmer of hope that he could sign him again,im sure he'll be going all out to do exactly that Bearing in mind MB last played for the Blades in 2004 before going to Spurs, Fulham, etc, NW's probably talking about the MB of 4 years ago. I wouldn't say he's been a fantastic success since so his stock has fallen in those 4 years. I don't want to sign another player whose seen better days and is now in his 30s like MB. We've had enough ageing players on fat contracts in the last couple of years.

Kyle De Silva
28-07-2008, 10:30 PM

I think I may try to ignore Transfer Hotline for a few days :) Trying not to look at transfer hotline will be a very hard thing to do:p

mcmean
29-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Trying not to look at transfer hotline will be a very hard thing to do:p

thats from this article:

http://www.atthegate.co.uk/news/Warnock-denies-biddi474222113.aspx

which is obviously a loada shit that a bristol city fan has made up= where the quote from warnock?exactly

Beanie
29-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Walrus

Can't see Moses and Scannell starting too many games together, could burn them both out. They both need to be brought through sensibly, especially as we now have both of them on decent contracts so can look at least a couple of years ahead.

Palace Don
29-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Wheres DaveMatt, this sounds like a Nugent-esque type "Is-he-isnt-he" potential signing thread. :)

cpfcfan1
29-07-2008, 08:18 AM
This is either Warnock playing the media or it is all made up.

Under two weeks and just one striker, woosh.

Norwoodguy
29-07-2008, 08:25 AM
If this does happen GJ will be severely fecked off with us. Sign one of their better players, and then steal from under their noses ther main transfer target.

Although on BBC is states that Misfud has agreed terms with BCFC??

cpfcfan1
29-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Article in the local Coventry rag say he will sign for Brizzie today

Michael Mifsud to sign for Bristol City today
Jul 29 2008

MICHAEL MIFSUD will become a Bristol City player today, national reports claim.

The Time Online says that the Coventry City striker completed a medical yesterday and will seal a £1.5m deal today.

The Maltese international was also wanted by Crystal Palace and Norwich City but The Robins appear to have won the race for his signature.

Mifsud handed in a transfer request to the Sky Blues after they signed Freddy Eastwood.

sydnsteve
29-07-2008, 09:12 AM
I think he is BC bound. Who will score our goals I am still very unclear about. Perhaps we should go for the Egyptian that BC decided against?

ooRya
29-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by sydnsteve
Perhaps we should go for the Egyptian that BC decided against?

That wouldn't be a bad shout to be honest. He is apparently a very good player and one that all at BCFC were very excited about! Unfortunately for him (and us?) he didn't show enough respect to Gary Johnson's wishes, and GJ doesn't take disrespect from anyone.

I think Warnock would maybe take the same view?

eagle101
29-07-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm sorry, but if we do manage to get Mifsud after Warnock has denied going for him, I'd find it fvcking hilarious, if only for the Bristol City fans to get more pissed off at Warnock and us :o :lux:

sydnsteve
29-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by ooRya
That wouldn't be a bad shout to be honest. He is apparently a very good player and one that all at BCFC were very excited about! Unfortunately for him (and us?) he didn't show enough respect to Gary Johnson's wishes, and GJ doesn't take disrespect from anyone.

I think Warnock would maybe take the same view?

Hi ooRya, nice to hear from you. You are probably right about that, but I am becoming somewhat concerned that having let our top scorer go we have no-one to replace him.