PDA

View Full Version : Owen named England captain

The Omen
16-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Michael Owen has just been named England captain for the game against Paraguay.

This shocked the media as Gary Neville was expected to wear the armband in place of injured team mate, David Beckham.

LLCOOLSTEVE
16-04-2002, 04:37 PM
:eek:

brighton_eagle
16-04-2002, 04:38 PM
Utterly bizzare.......

Skin Up
16-04-2002, 04:44 PM
Why not?
He's respected, guarenteed (baring injury) to start and seems pretty mature for his age and wealth.

sydney eagle
16-04-2002, 04:46 PM
I'm just glad it wasn't that w@nker Neville

good luck to Michael...remember everyone thought Becks would be a sh!te skipper,didn't they?;)and look how that turned out:p

brighton_eagle
16-04-2002, 04:47 PM
Well, for one, I'm not convinced that a forward can make a good captain. Secondly, he's not a creative player and I don't see how he can change the course of a game like Beckham could, for example.

16-04-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
I don't see how he can change the course of a game like Beckham could, for example.

How about by scoring? I'd say that's a pretty good way to change the course of a game.

GeeTee
16-04-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
Well, for one, I'm not convinced that a forward can make a good captain. Secondly, he's not a creative player and I don't see how he can change the course of a game like Beckham could, for example.

You don't recall last season's FA Cup final then b_e?

brighton_eagle
16-04-2002, 04:55 PM
Well yes, obviously. But that's not quite what I meant. We are 2-0 down, pinned back, not getting anything of the ball, and not managing to hold on to it when we do. How's he going to score then? A captain should be a player who can inspire either verbally, or by example. A mixer like Keane, or a creative player like Beckham.

brighton_eagle
16-04-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by GeeTee

You don't recall last season's FA Cup final then b_e?

Yes I do, and I would say the referee had more of a influence on the result of that game.

Daddy Long
16-04-2002, 04:59 PM
I would have given it to Rio. But it doesn't matter. There will be enough "captains" in the team to gee everyone up if needed.

Jimbo ?
16-04-2002, 05:06 PM
i think that - southgate would have made the best captain but i guess he is not sure of his place in the team

ammiller
16-04-2002, 05:11 PM
In Tony adams's Autobiography, he says that after Euro 96 when Glenn became manager he named Alan Shearer as captain. As Adams had been captain Glenn explained his reasons that a forward who is captain was more likely to get penalties and free kicks around the area.

I can see Glenn's point, but would not be able to explain it, so maybe that is Sven's thinking as well.

Give it to the no 10.

ozzieEagle
16-04-2002, 05:22 PM
Bloody hope they keep him away from any argentinian players b4 the world cup in that case then !

The Omen
16-04-2002, 05:24 PM
Personally, I think Rio would have been a much better choice.

Good luck to Owen though, I hope he proves me wrong.

Scoot
16-04-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by The Omen
Michael Owen has just been named England captain for the game against Paraguay.

This shocked the media as Gary Neville was expected to wear the armband in place of injured team mate, David Beckham.

Good they gave it to a decent player instead of someone who is in the team because of who he plays for ;)

pete eagle
17-04-2002, 02:55 AM
a bit young, Southgate should have got it

Daniel_Nash
17-04-2002, 03:16 AM
I thought it would be obvious that Owen would take over, he is almost one of the "senior" members of the squad now in terms of appearances and the game is at Anfield!

He seems level headed for someone so high profile at a young age, and as the game is almost meaningless in terms of results why not let him be captain.

However, i am also in agreement that a striker shouldn't be captain. On principal and positioning a defender or midfielder should.. maybe even a goalie. From the front, you can't always see the whole game but a defender could.

Being part of the "team" seems, to me, to be more important if you're in a back 4 or even centre back pairing. They need to work off each other to stop attacks and start new ones, same applies to strikers. But i don't think individual defenders can change the game so much as an individual striker (with the exception of Bobby Moore vs Brazil, saw that show tonight).

Good luck to him, deserves it and it will be a great honour.

Sir.S.C Remembered
20-04-2002, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Skin Up
Why not?
He's respected, guarenteed (baring injury) to start and seems pretty mature for his age and wealth.

I'm a bit late here but I can certainly think of many worse options and if nothing else it could help inhance owen as a player in future years which can't be bad for england

Sham switzerland didnt make it

Boris the charltonhater
20-04-2002, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't have given it to Owen. Firstly he is too young and secondly he is a forward and neither forwards or goalkeepers can ever make good captains. The best person to give the captaincy to is a central defender. Ideally they should have some experience of being cpatain before so that means Southgate or Campbell are ideal.