PDA

View Full Version : Mcmanaman

Chantelle
16-04-2002, 04:23 PM
again he's not in the squad, does anyone think he'll make the final 23 players???

i hope so!!

The Omen
16-04-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Chantelle
again he's not in the squad, does anyone think he'll make the final 23 players???

i hope so!!

I doubt it now. Shame, I think he is very talented, if a bit inconsistent.

Daddy Long
16-04-2002, 06:14 PM
He shouldn't make it. He consistantly under performs for England.

Elephant with mouse gyp
16-04-2002, 06:22 PM
He has underperformed sometimes, but mainly because he is usually thrown on a sub late on with England chasing the game and/or he is played out of position on the left wing.

I can't remember a time he was played either on the right or in the hole, or as a genuine central midfielder, a role he plays well for the best club side in the world.

Apparently Sven doesn't like his attitude or something.

BenCouchman
16-04-2002, 10:31 PM
Mcmanaman plays on the left for Real Madrid:

Figo Zidane Makele McManaman/Solari

He regularly plays well for them but he has just been too indifferent for England for too many years.

He looks a fantastic player in the Real team but with Figo and Zidane alongside you most people would look good.

Would much rather see Dyer in the England team than McManaman.

c_block_lad
16-04-2002, 10:34 PM
Mcmanaman has always failed to do anything special for England and in my opinion is one of the most over-rated players along with Giggs.

pallet
16-04-2002, 10:45 PM
Forgive me but I cannot remember who England were playing, however Macca came on and was a disgrace, he gave the ball away nearly ever time he got it and he showed little or no desire. I never want to see him wear an England shirt again, he doesnt understand the honour it is to be capped by your country, he can stay in Spain and rot.

bennytheat
16-04-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by c_block_lad
Mcmanaman has always failed to do anything special for England and in my opinion is one of the most over-rated players along with Giggs.

I agree that Macmanaman always flatters to deceive but Giggs is a top player and was the player that was most feared by Deportivo in the Champions League.......not Beckham or Van Nistelroy.

Oh and I agree that Dyer is the answer, top player that will scare defences with his runs.

LLCOOLSTEVE
16-04-2002, 10:54 PM
in my opinion is one of the most over-rated players along with Giggs.

:eek: You what??!!! Giggs is a brilliant player if only he chose to play for England, what a team we would have then. All those left sided problems solved and he would have close to 60 caps now and be playing in world cups and Euro championships instead he is stuck in a very poor welsh team with only a few sheep for company.

Daniel_Nash
23-04-2002, 04:13 AM
Andy Townsend has just said McManaman is a "world class player". I haven't really kept up with his form for Real, but he never seems to feature much in the games/highlights i have seen.

I just don't think England can pick a player who is not playing consistently, even if he is at one of the top clubs in the world. I think the midfielders taken should be: Beckham, Dyer, Scholes, Gerrard, Hargreaves, J Cole and Danny Murphy. A heavy right side bias there, but there always will be it seems. Hargreaves' energy and ability to defend gives him an edge of Macca for me, Macca always seems a bit lazy and only interested when he has the ball. Joey Cole's tricks are useful to wind up defenders, win the free kicks for Beckham and Murphy to play around with, and even unlock defences. Again, Macca doesn't do this for me. He can be great on the wing, but too often loses the ball and doesn't make enough of an effort to track back.

I think Dyer played well against Paraguay, especially for someone recovering from injury and regaining fitness. A bit more time and he may be up to his former best, and maybe surpass it. Scholes and Gerrard seem to be a perfect centre midfield duo, both creative, both good passers, good at breaking up defences and can score goals. Beckham, well... he's the captain, he scored the goal to send England there in the first place, he has been an inspirational captain since taking over and this will be the time to shine!

Maradona got sent off in 1982, and returned in 1986 as captain of Argentina to lift the World Cup... so maybe Beckham can do the same! Ahh, worth a thought though isn't it?!

Sir.S.C Remembered
24-04-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
He shouldn't make it. He consistantly under performs for England.

Exactly, he's had plenty of chances and blown them.

He just does NOT perform for England nuff said.

Dodger
24-04-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Daniel_Nash
Andy Townsend has just said McManaman is a "world class player".

Yeah but Andy Townsend is a complete tw@t

cpfc_connection
24-04-2002, 01:44 AM
c_block_lad : "Mcmanaman has always failed to do anything special for England and in my opinion is one of the most over-rated players along with Giggs. "

many people may argue with me but i agree with c block lad..i think giggs is over-rated...in his early days at moan ure he was very promising but then he had an injury and was never quite the same...everyone goes on about how if giggs played for england what a team we would have.....id rather have someone like patrick berger of liverpool or that really talented matt jansen than giggs.
i think mcmanaman has blown his many chances in an england shirt but a bigger question for me is why is nicky butt allowed to put on an england shirt....talk about ppl being over-rated this guy is cr@p!

as216
24-04-2002, 01:44 AM
He's just scored to put Real 2-0 up against Barcelona

c_block_lad
24-04-2002, 10:12 PM
I would prefer to have Berger in my team rather than Giggs.

pete eagle
24-04-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Dodger

Yeah but Andy Townsend is a complete tw@t

hear hear

Steve in Phoenix
24-04-2002, 11:03 PM
You just knew Macca would do something like this... I wouldnt bet against the winning goal in the final..

zonin2000
24-04-2002, 11:17 PM
I would prefer to have Berger in my team rather than Giggs.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

The Giggler scares every defender shitless!!