PDA

View Full Version : Ireland team named for WC warm up. No Clinton this time

Oisin
16-04-2002, 09:20 PM
16/04/02: Mick McCarthy has made seven changes to his Republic of Ireland team for tomorrow night's friendly against the United States at Lansdowne Road.

The four surviving players from the team which beat Denmark 3-0 in Dublin last month are Leeds duo Ian Harte and Robbie Keane, Charlton midfielder Mark Kinsella and Blackburn striker Damian Duff.

Manchester City's Richard Dunne has returned home with a hamstring injury while Jason McAteer is struggling with a groin strain.

Republic of Ireland team:
Shay Given, Gary Kelly, Gary Breen, Andy O’Brien Ian Harte, Rory Delap, Mark Kinsella, Colin Healy, Kevin Kilbane, Damien Duff, Robbie Keane.

Jaffa
16-04-2002, 09:22 PM
Id guess that is near enough the starting line up for the World Cup. Duff and Keane are certain for the strikers, sorry Clint.

BenCouchman
16-04-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa
Duff and Keane are certain for the strikers, sorry Clint.

Don't Agree with that!

Duff played his best ever game for Ireland against Denmark playing wide left.

He will start there instead of Kilbane (Very average player, IMO) and Clint will play up front with Keane.

Batsta
16-04-2002, 10:41 PM
I think Clint will play some part in the world cup. From the bench IMO.

Oisin
16-04-2002, 10:43 PM
I don't agree either. McCarthy knows Duff and Keane will start. He wants to look at his options where to play Duff. What is Duff's best position, can anyone fill in on the left? That's what he is using this game for. My hunch is he would prefer to start with Keane and either Quinn or Morrison up front. This will be the formation he goes with at one point during the game. He's seen what he needs to see from Morrision and is experimenting accordingly.

Steve in Phoenix
16-04-2002, 10:46 PM
I think he'll start with Quinn and Keane. Nothing like a good header up front for an option, Quinn's experienced and who better to meet the wide boys crosses? I also remember he was quoted saying he wanted to look at Morrison specifically as Quinn's back up.

lightweight
17-04-2002, 12:57 AM
Not sure if the game is scheduled on TV - but typically Clint's not playing when I would get chance to watch it! Oh well! I'm jinxed not to see him play for Ireland!

JohnA
17-04-2002, 02:53 AM
The game is on Sky. 7.30 K.O.

I agree that Duff will play wide in the World Cup.

In the World Cup, Clint is sure to play a Solskjaer / Gerry Armstrong super-sub role.

Ruskin Old Boy
17-04-2002, 12:50 PM
And Greg Berhalter is in the US team :)