PDA

View Full Version : Julian to the toon?


Dartford Lad
19-04-2002, 02:03 PM
The Daily Star reports today that Newcastle United are monitoring the progress of Julian Gray.

Gray has impressed on the wing for Palace, and particularly this season, since his 500,000 move from Arsenal in July 2000.

The newspaper report suggests Bobby Robson is thought to be preparing a 3.5m bid for the player.

Gray has already caught the eye of Derby County earlier this season. Reports in February suggested they had bid 1m to get their man.

.................................................. .............................................

At that price, I wouldn't mind so much, especially if Rubins can keep up some form.

Daddy Long
19-04-2002, 02:06 PM
I hate the fact that big clubs can come wading in waving their cheque books about and expect to sign our most promising players. I assume that Jordan feels the same way and will tell them to bugger off. Whats the point of all this squad cutting if not to save money so that we can keep hold of our best and most promising players.

GUCCI Eagle
19-04-2002, 02:08 PM
I'd let him go for 3.5m. Wouldn't be too confident about what Trev would spend the cash on afterwards though.

Selhurst Dick
19-04-2002, 02:10 PM
I can not see this, they already have two very good left sided midfield players in Robert and Bernard. So why would they require a third ?

Sounds like a slow news day :hmph:

Parkice
19-04-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Selhurst Dick
I can not see this, they already have two very good left sided midfield players in Robert and Bernard. So why would they require a third ?



I had heard that Robert was on his way out.....

AddiscombeEagle
19-04-2002, 02:21 PM
I'd bite there hand off for 3.5 million for a winger that can't cross and can't shoot

Gazza2
19-04-2002, 02:29 PM
Yes, 3.5m would be a good price for somebody who is unproven. Maybe, he would have struggled to get in team if Rubins can show the form he did against Preston!

Dave
19-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Gazza2
Yes, 3.5m would be a good price for somebody who is unproven. Maybe, he would have struggled to get in team if Rubins can show the form he did against Preston!

Ya

brighton_eagle
19-04-2002, 02:36 PM
I'll do them a swap.....Gray for Robert, and 2 million....

:D

Si121
19-04-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
I'll do them a swap.....Gray for Robert, and 2 million....

:D

ROFL! Robert's probably the best left sided player in Engldn at the moment.....sounds fair to me! :p

GUCCI Eagle
19-04-2002, 02:42 PM
Better than Ryan Giggs or Robert Pires I think not.

Si121
19-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Ok ok...There's a couple better. But he's up there. Us palace fans have to be so correct! :p

Jolly Norwegian
19-04-2002, 02:48 PM
I think that 3.5m would be a decent, if not great, price for Gray. And as has been posted, if Rubins got some confidence and started playing as good as he certainly can, then we could spend the money on a midfielder or a couple of defenders or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was just another rumour, though :rolleyes:

Eagle Kneevil
19-04-2002, 02:49 PM
I think it's a good bit of business if we flog him. If the money is as stated then I'd be packing Jules off on the first train out of King's Cross.

As for a slow news day, the Daily Star said they had received an anonymous tip off from a man with a strong Latvian accent.

brighton_eagle
19-04-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by GUCCI Eagle
Better than Ryan Giggs or Robert Pires I think not.

hmmmm....better than Pires, yes I would say so. Pires is, IMHO, one of themost overrated players about.

As for Giggs....I would say Robert scores more.

Si121
19-04-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle


hmmmm....better than Pires, yes I would say so. Pires is, IMHO, one of themost overrated players about.

As for Giggs....I would say Robert scores more.

Pires can't be so overrated to be one of the candidates for the PFA. He's World Class.

Lee B
19-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Si121


Pires can't be so overrated to be one of the candidates for the PFA. He's World Class.

The bloke's class, hope the injury doesn't feck him up.

Si121
19-04-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Lee B


The bloke's class, hope the injury doesn't feck him up.

I hope it does for the world cup.

brighton_eagle
19-04-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Si121


Pires can't be so overrated to be one of the candidates for the PFA. He's World Class.

I'm sure the candidates list over the years is littered with overrated players. Poor earlier in the season, he settled down as the season went on, and then got injured and will miss the end of the season, and most of the close season.

How do you know he's class? Half a season doesn't make you a great player......otherwise Micheal Ricketts would be World Player of the Year!!

Si121
19-04-2002, 03:09 PM
How can you say this!??? Your the only person I've ever known not to think of Pires as a class player. I'd say he's one of the top 5 players in the country.

ozeagle
19-04-2002, 03:10 PM
robert isn't fit to carry giggs' bags...

brighton_eagle
19-04-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Si121
How can you say this!??? Your the only person I've ever known not to think of Pires as a class player. I'd say he's one of the top 5 players in the country.

In no particular order but 10 players in my opinion better than Pires:

Beckham
Henry
Bergkamp
Giggs
Owen
Gerrard
Van Nistelrooy
Keane (Roy)
Hassailbank
Zola

and the are others......

A.D.
19-04-2002, 03:27 PM
I must say 3.5 million for Julian is a good price, he does have the potential to be a great player for us, but if selling him means enhancing our financial position to the extent where we don't need to sell Morrison/Freedman then I think we should go for it.

All we need to do now is make Rubins a quality replacement, not just a one game attacking football exhibitionist.

Oh yes, and the rumour needs to turn into a fact of course.

GUCCI Eagle
19-04-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle


hmmmm....better than Pires, yes I would say so. Pires is, IMHO, one of themost overrated players about.

As for Giggs....I would say Robert scores more.

You only have to look at the link play between Henry and Pires to see his worth. Henry is a far better player when he's in the side. Laurent Robert has only just started tracking back and tackling

And as someone else so aptly stated Robert isn't fit to carry Giggs' bags.

As for the list of players you reckon are better, that's fine, I also disagree with many nominations when they come up, but you have to remember that the guys up for awards are chosen by those that play against them.

Top Dog
19-04-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle


In no particular order but 10 players in my opinion better than Pires:

Beckham
Henry
Bergkamp
Giggs
Owen
Gerrard
Van Nistelrooy
Keane (Roy)
Hassailbank
Zola

and the are others......

Giggs is probably the best out and out winger in the world.

Pires has been stunningly effective, both in setting up and scoring bag loads of goals for the Ars this season. Without his goals and assists I doubt Arsenal would be in position to clinch the double. 14 goals from a midfielder (and it would have been more without the injury) is pretty damn impressive.

Robert has done some good things of late but has hardly had a startling season.

brighton_eagle
19-04-2002, 04:02 PM
I know....I'm just in an argummentative mood today. :o

I do think he's overrated though.

GUCCI Eagle
19-04-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
I know....I'm just in an argummentative mood today. :o

I do think he's overrated though.

No you're not.

brighton_eagle
19-04-2002, 04:05 PM
Yes I am.....:grrr:

Del Gland
19-04-2002, 04:12 PM
Firstly will everyone that wants to talk about Pires here, just bog off and get yourselves a red shirt!!

I can't believe that we are even considering letting Julian go here. Just look at the development of the guy so far and consider his age. This bloke is a diamond and should be a large factor in our future. Do we only care about financial aspects of the club nowadays?

How sad!

:(

GUCCI Eagle
19-04-2002, 04:14 PM
Parcel Force delivers crosses quicker than him. ;)

RednBlue
19-04-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by GUCCI Eagle
Parcel Force delivers crosses quicker than him. ;)
No it doesn't!!

Beanie
19-04-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Del Gland
Do we only care about financial aspects of the club nowadays?

How sad!

:(

Be nice if we didn't have to - but has it already escaped your memory what happened when a previous chairman didn't?

I don't believe this - especially as people have failed to mention a certain Keiron Dyer as a possible left at Newcastle - I hope Gray stays, but to be honest 3.5m is not a bad deal.

GUCCI Eagle
19-04-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by RednBlue

No it doesn't!!

Blimey, they really are rubbish then.

glaziers fan
19-04-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by GUCCI Eagle
I'd let him go for 3.5m. Wouldn't be too confident about what Trev would spend the cash on afterwards though.

I'd like to know what you would buy with 3.5m!! It sounds like a lot, but isn't really! You wont find a better left winger for the money! I dont want all these average players. I only want quality ones. There r 6 at the club that will perform week in week out in their correct positions! Popovic, Clarke, mullins, freedman, morrison and Gray. Of those Gray is the best prospect as well! He is potentially the best of the lot too! He has only played about 50 games for us! He is already technically the best player at the club! He has to improve his crossing and shooting, but when he does, and when he matures, he will be an England regular! Who else is there to compete with him? Tommy Black agrees too, and he shud know; he's played with the guy for years!

glaziers fan
19-04-2002, 08:14 PM
what im trying to say is we shud be offloading big wage earners who arent worth it, ie hopkin, austin, kirovski etc and keeping the good players and adding to them! How else r we gonna win promotion?! This next season is VERY important. We need to win promotion to hold onto the good players! Once we are in the Premiership, Gray will be worth 8m, clinton 12m, freedman 4m, mullins 8m, clarke 4m, popovic 4m etc! in other words, their values will double! This next season might be exciting if we buy a creative midfielder and play 3-5-2! We might even do the double over Brighton and romp the league! Derby r nothing special, and Ipswich play gd football but didnt set the world on fire last time they were in the division!

GUCCI Eagle
19-04-2002, 08:26 PM
Seems to me that Palace aren't a very good club if you reckon a person is the most technically gifted player in the team and then go on to say that he can't cross or shoot. :confused:

Ashleyinkent
19-04-2002, 08:29 PM
he will be a silly boy if he leaves to become a full time sub

GUCCI Eagle
19-04-2002, 08:31 PM
It's grim up there as well innit. I'd have to commute if I played for Newcastle

Ashleyinkent
19-04-2002, 08:32 PM
what from london?

GUCCI Eagle
19-04-2002, 08:36 PM
From Bromley

Walrus
19-04-2002, 08:39 PM
Rubins AND Gray in the same squad can only mean good things for us. If Rubins is actually "back for good" and playing well it may well spur Julian on to the business end of his game - crossing & shooting.

However, 3.5 million would be a lot of money to CPFC, and we could go out and pay for the centre midfield general we've been crying out for.

Win/win situation. If JG stays then that's great for CPFC but if we pocket 3.5mil or therabouts for him in the close season then that's great for CPFC too.

Ashleyinkent
19-04-2002, 08:40 PM
i agree with that :afro:

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
19-04-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by A.D.
I must say 3.5 million for Julian is a good price, he does have the potential to be a great player for us, but ........

only if we get a striker twice as tall as Crouch to head in his crosses.......:(

brighton_eagle
19-04-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Walrus
Rubins AND Gray in the same squad can only mean good things for us. If Rubins is actually "back for good" and playing well it may well spur Julian on to the business end of his game - crossing & shooting.

However, 3.5 million would be a lot of money to CPFC, and we could go out and pay for the centre midfield general we've been crying out for.

Win/win situation. If JG stays then that's great for CPFC but if we pocket 3.5mil or therabouts for him in the close season then that's great for CPFC too.

As usual (more or less!!) Walrus is spot on.

I salute you sir, and would kneel in subjugation.......if you were a laydeee :)

modernsouler
19-04-2002, 10:01 PM
if we get 3.5 million for gray i believe arsenal will get between 25-40% of that from the sell on clause.

two.five what?
19-04-2002, 10:43 PM
He's not worth 3.5mil sell him. as someone said, we've got rubins!

Pete B
19-04-2002, 11:04 PM
Not sure about the validity of the story but 3.5m is a very good deal for someone who has scored 3 goals in 2 seasons and created not much more than that.

Jimbo ?
19-04-2002, 11:15 PM
if we have any hopes of mounting a title campaign then we must keep the team together - morrison off to..... freedman to........ gray to newcastle - we must hold on to them

pete eagle
20-04-2002, 12:31 AM
the Daily Star:rolleyes:

Grunt
20-04-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Pete B
Not sure about the validity of the story but 3.5m is a very good deal for someone who has scored 3 goals in 2 seasons and created not much more than that.
Agree - sounds like a pile of old pony to me.

Walrus
20-04-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle


As usual (more or less!!) Walrus is spot on.

I salute you sir, and would kneel in subjugation.......if you were a laydeee :)

Brighton, remind me to look you up during the mating season. Sounds like you'll be popular with the Cow Walruses here on the ice floe if you're going down for them :D

pedro
20-04-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle


hmmmm....better than Pires, yes I would say so. Pires is, IMHO, one of themost overrated players about.

Next to Mr Gray himself. How on earth has a thread about Gray managed to involve three world class wingers like Pires, Giggs and Robert, it is embarrasing. If the story is true we should take the 3.5m immediately, it is about time we f**ked someone in the transfer market, it is normally us that get stitched up.

Boris the charltonhater
20-04-2002, 07:38 PM
Let him go. His may dribble well but his crossing is poor and his shooting is dreadful. I hate to say this but Gray is overated and we are only kind about him because he is playing for us, if he was playing in the Premiership week in, week out for Charlton we would be laughing our socks off at the clowns. Anything above 1.5million we should take.

Dillenger
22-04-2002, 03:59 AM
julian gray is probably our classiest player at the moment, we should do our best to keep players like him at the club.

Stavros 69
22-04-2002, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Dillenger
julian gray is probably our classiest player at the moment, we should do our best to keep players like him at the club.

Well said, from the first time i saw him i liked him. He has something which players lack some skill with his feet. But sometimes he has lack of commitment, but what can u do ??

It wasn't me!
22-04-2002, 02:12 PM
I can't believe you lot!!! I believe this isn't a rumour and I hope for Julian's sake he leaves Palace. As he's obviously not appreciated! Then when he's playing (not sub, as like someone said Robert is leaving and that's why Robson wants him. ) and becomes one of the best left sided players (as his game will improve while playing alongside BETTER players) you lot will be left eating your words! YET AGAIN!! Ha:grrr:

brighton_eagle
22-04-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!
I can't believe you lot!!! I believe this isn't a rumour and I hope for Julian's sake he leaves Palace. As he's obviously not appreciated! Then when he's playing (not sub, as like someone said Robert is leaving and that's why Robson wants him. ) and becomes one of the best left sided players (as his game will improve while playing alongside BETTER players) you lot will be left eating your words! YET AGAIN!! Ha:grrr:


We don't have to appreciate them. They get paid a **** of a lot more than most/any of the people who support the club.

He will certainly need to improve of the delivery of his final ball before he would get into the Newcastle side regularly. I appreciate he is your mate/son/bf/brother but lets be a little bit realistic.

congress
22-04-2002, 02:30 PM
She is back, I wondered how long it would take for the name to appear.

3.5 million. I would chaperone him up there and receive the cheque personally.

I know about inflation but we only got 2.5 million for Ian Wright.

Just think of the 10% of that transfer,would buy a nice little castle up in Geordie land.

It wasn't me!
22-04-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle



We don't have to appreciate them. They get paid a **** of a lot more than most/any of the people who support the club.

He will certainly need to improve of the delivery of his final ball before he would get into the Newcastle side regularly. I appreciate he is your mate/son/bf/brother but lets be a little bit realistic.

What has their wages got to do with anything. I'm just saying if he's not got the support why should he stay.

As I mentioned before he'll be playing alongside better players! Which will improve his game dramatically. Why are you so confident he'll be sub! Do you really think he'll leave to be sub?! If that was the case he would have just stayed at Arsenal playing reserves!

brighton_eagle
22-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!


What has their wages got to do with anything. I'm just saying if he's not got the support why should he stay.


The fact that professional football players get well paid has everything to do with it. He is under contract, and gets well renumerated. That's why he should stay and do his job, unless his employers decide to move him on. All this talk about not being appreciated is hogwash frankly.

Originally posted by It wasn't me!

As I mentioned before he'll be playing alongside better players! Which will improve his game dramatically. Why are you so confident he'll be sub! Do you really think he'll leave to be sub?! If that was the case he would have just stayed at Arsenal playing reserves!

With the greatest respect, young Jules has barely played a full season in professional football. I think he would have an unrealistic opinion of his own abilities if he thinks he is currently good enough for a regular starting place in a top 5 premiership side.

He is a young, promising player, but nowhere near the finished article.

To be frank, if your comments about him are anywhere near the truth about how he feels, I'll snap off Newcastle's arm for the money,....

pedro
22-04-2002, 04:53 PM
Personally I think Gray will make about as much impact at Newcastle as Fumaca(for those of you with a good memory). Julian Gray playing Champions League football next season, this thread gets more amusing by the minute.

Beanie
22-04-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!


What has their wages got to do with anything. I'm just saying if he's not got the support why should he stay.

As I mentioned before he'll be playing alongside better players! Which will improve his game dramatically. Why are you so confident he'll be sub! Do you really think he'll leave to be sub?! If that was the case he would have just stayed at Arsenal playing reserves!


If the poor dear is so upset and offended by one or two nasty people who don't worship the ground on which he treads I'm afraid he's in the wrong profession, because where ever he goes there will be people not 100% supportive.

I'm sure that he's not so easily upset, I hope he stays at Palace (the sarcasm is for you not him) and I think he can improve a lot. I too doubt he'll be on the bench - unless he produces a LOT of improvement he's not ready for that yet. Let's take off the gray-tinted glasses, he's not the finished article in Div 1 yet (but he will be soon). He has plenty of years to reach the "big time"

Streatham man
22-04-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!
I can't believe you lot!!! I believe this isn't a rumour and I hope for Julian's sake he leaves Palace. As he's obviously not appreciated! Then when he's playing (not sub, as like someone said Robert is leaving and that's why Robson wants him. ) and becomes one of the best left sided players (as his game will improve while playing alongside BETTER players) you lot will be left eating your words! YET AGAIN!! Ha:grrr:

I agree, "it wasn't me" -- or should I call you "Lady Supporter?"

It wasn't me!
22-04-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Beanie



If the poor dear is so upset and offended by one or two nasty people who don't worship the ground on which he treads I'm afraid he's in the wrong profession, because where ever he goes there will be people not 100% supportive.

I'm sure that he's not so easily upset, I hope he stays at Palace (the sarcasm is for you not him) and I think he can improve a lot. I too doubt he'll be on the bench - unless he produces a LOT of improvement he's not ready for that yet. Let's take off the gray-tinted glasses, he's not the finished article in Div 1 yet (but he will be soon). He has plenty of years to reach the "big time"

WHATEVER!!!!:rolleyes:

It wasn't me!
22-04-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Streatham man


I agree, "it wasn't me" -- or should I call you "Lady Supporter?"


:confused: ;)

arussell
23-04-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by It wasn't me!
I can't believe you lot!!! I believe this isn't a rumour and I hope for Julian's sake he leaves Palace. As he's obviously not appreciated!

Please calm down.

If he left - would you stop coming to Palace ? :rolleyes:

Francis confirmed last night that he'd "heard" they are interested.