PDA

View Full Version : Sign Armstrong ?

Daveyboyross
22-04-2002, 08:23 PM
There was a rumour about a few weeks ago that Millwall were considering taking Chris Armstrong from Spurs on loan or possibly signing him in the summer.

So why did we spend 2.4 million on Akinbiyi when we could have got Armstrong back from probably nearer the 1.5 million mark?

I wonder if there was ever a clause in his contract whereby we could get first refusal was he ever sold by Spurs (but like Sheringham)?

I know who'd i prefer up front.....

Gazza2
22-04-2002, 08:24 PM
Part-exchnage for Clinton?

Beanie
22-04-2002, 08:33 PM
Selling Armstrong was one of the great pieces of business for Palace, buying him back would be one of the worst. I don't rate him, over-priced on a free.

brighton_eagle
22-04-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Daveyboyross
why did we spend 2.4 million on Akinbiyi when we could have got Armstrong back from probably nearer the 1.5 million mark?

Are you insane?? :eek:

Daveyboyross
22-04-2002, 08:37 PM
I admit we sold him at the right time as he would only have depreciated in value after that but I still regard him as a bit of a Palace hero.

I think in our current state he's the kind of player that would be good for the club.

And I still remember that hat-trick against Portsmouth at home in our 5-1 win in the 93-94 championship season. Cracking!

And Southgate scored an absolute belter that day.

A.D.
22-04-2002, 08:50 PM
I must say that although he scored some great, and critical goals, all to often he turned into the laziest striker I've ever seen. Talk about a "mood" player....

brighton_eagle
22-04-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Gazza2

Actually.....are you insane??

Jimbo ?
22-04-2002, 09:26 PM
cant see it and wont see it!!!

E.X Moontoad
22-04-2002, 10:15 PM
Too injury prone.

Justin
23-04-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Gazza2

I know our record on buying and selling "star" players is poor but do not think we will have to part with Clinton and cash to get Armstrong back.

Samo*
23-04-2002, 11:17 AM
When did he last play for spurs for 90 mins?

clubbruggekvfc
23-04-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by SAMO*
When did he last play for spurs for 90 mins?

clubbruggekvfc
23-04-2002, 11:45 AM
There was a rumour about a few weeks ago that Millwall were considering taking Chris Armstrong from Spurs on loan or possibly signing him in the summer.

So why did we spend 2.4 million on Akinbiyi when we could have got Armstrong back from probably nearer the 1.5 million mark?

I wonder if there was ever a clause in his contract whereby we could get first refusal was he ever sold by Spurs (but like Sheringham)?

I know who'd i prefer up front.....

Yes...Louis Armstrong.

Ruskin Old Boy
23-04-2002, 12:36 PM
He played for part of a reserve match recently, first game for about 18 months. Can't see him coming back to Palace, and quite honestly wouldn't want him back.

Ouch that Hurt!
23-04-2002, 12:54 PM
Armstrong hasn't played 1st team football for ages, for 2 reasons.

1. Hit by bad injuries over the last few years.

2. He's rubbish

My Spurs supporting work collegue heard we may be after Armstrong and wanted to throw a party. He was going to give him the train fare downn to selhurst. He's not even rated by Tottenham fans, and they'll take anyone!

Ruskin Old Boy
23-04-2002, 12:58 PM
What do they think of Rebrov? Ukrainian friends thought he was brilliant with Shevchenko at Dynamo and couldn't believe it when he went to Spurs.

Ouch that Hurt!
23-04-2002, 01:02 PM
Rebrov isn't a favourite, along with Stefan Freund who can't score to save his life, though is out with injury at the moment.

Essexeagle
25-04-2002, 04:50 PM
why would you take a Spurs fans word on how good a player is?

Armstrong has a decent goals to games ratio at Spurs, but he is far too injury prone.

PeterH
25-04-2002, 04:59 PM
Can see Spurs trying to part exchange Armstrong and get Clinton though.

S@d Armstrong, he and his agents shenanigans were the reason a good side got relegated.

Benzhiyi
25-04-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Ouch that Hurt!
Rebrov isn't a favourite, along with Stefan Freund who can't score to save his life, though is out with injury at the moment.

Steffen Freund has developed into a real favourite this season. At the time of his injury the club's website was running a Player of the Year Poll and he had 87 per cent of the vote. Of course these things are open to sabotage but trust me, he made all the difference - I read some OPTA stats that said that when he has been playing this season Spurs have only lost something like 2 games, yet since his injury they've only one five or six without him.

Rebrov and Armstrong are both awful. I don't know what has happened to Sergei but he really has lost it. I believe Armstrong is out of contract in the summer, in any case the likelihood is he will be released on a free come the end of the season. I think that these days he'd make Akinbiyi look world class I'm afraid!

26-04-2002, 12:32 AM
Hang on, hang on there! What on earth do Palace want to bring back someone who makes "sick note" Anderton look like Charles Atlas! Armstrong scored some wonder goals to help us win the First Division Championship, but has never re-produced that level of form or fitness since he went to White Hart Lane. A Club of our size cannot afford to gamble any more scarce financial resources on players with such a dubious fitness record.

Simon Forrest
26-04-2002, 12:38 AM
And I still remember that hat-trick against Portsmouth at home in our 5-1 win in the 93-94 championship season. Cracking!

And Southgate scored an absolute belter that day.

Southgate's goal is my favourite goal ever.

26-04-2002, 12:40 AM
According to a mate of mine hes going to be available on a free at the end of the season. We wont get him, Jordan has said only a midfielder is coming in and that will be goldbaek.(Jordan didnt say who it was, i am pretty sure its him though)

26-04-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Sven
According to a mate of mine hes going to be available on a free at the end of the season. We wont get him, Jordan has said only a midfielder is coming in and that will be goldbaek.(Jordan didnt say who it was, i am pretty sure its him though)

Bet his wages won't be for free! As for that midfielder, you could well be right about the possible target.

Lee B
26-04-2002, 02:01 PM
Has everyone forgotten that Armstrong swore at the Whitehorse, after he scored, just before he left the club?

bucketbongeagle
26-04-2002, 02:14 PM

God no not Armstrong, think he's damaged goods sorry who's Goldbaek ?

Essexeagle
30-04-2002, 03:50 PM
I'm assuming he is the former Chelsea and current Fulham midfielder

Celestial Empire
30-04-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by PeterH

S@d Armstrong, he and his agents shenanigans were the reason a good side got relegated.

Complete codswallop. Armstrong was a top striker for us, easily the best since Wright, and until Clinton. NOT lazy, strong, fast, had all the skills. Even mentioned in a squad of England hopefuls at the time. AS screwed it all up with the pot soap opera and other idiocies (falling out with Ron, not signing Houghton until too late etc.)
I can never understand why Armstrong is so unpopular, but the want-away boys (Coleman, Southgate,) are still held in high regard. It just ain't fair !
Is it because poor old Armstrong (the Geordie) came to us from Millwall ?

Should we get Armstrong back ? No, too late, too frail, too disinterested.

humpo
01-05-2002, 06:48 PM
i wonder if armstrong still likes a spliff or 2 occaisionally..........:afro:

Celestial Empire
02-05-2002, 12:36 PM
Would that be a plus point ?
;)

What?
13-05-2002, 07:23 PM
He has been released today. But I still dont really want him! I would rather get Mark Hughes for a year who has also been released!!!!!!!

Daveyboyross
13-05-2002, 08:21 PM
Mark Hughes! At last a sensible idea. Perhaps we could get Paul Stewart back.

F*ck it - lets get Andy Thorn and Ninja back too.

13-05-2002, 08:32 PM
Not really relevanty but i mentioned it here before Goldbaek had an interview, i cant remember where i think it might have been in a Fulham fanzine, saying that although he has enjoyed his time at Fulham he wants to move preferably to another London club. Also somewhere in there he said he admired Trevor Francis as a manager. Read into that what you will.

PeterH
14-05-2002, 02:25 AM

Bingo!!!

1.5m would have been a bit rich.

clubbruggekvfc
14-05-2002, 03:01 AM
This yarn is like Michael Palin trying to reassemble the old 1912 Barnstonworth Utd side from the Ripping Threads TV series. Some of you are so desperate to relive the past I'm surprised you're not visiting south London graveyards and looking to dig up some of our ex-players from years gone by. Can we please stop looking at people who should be going into running butchers shops and look instead for young, up and coming ones from the lewer loagues.

The Omen
20-05-2002, 08:38 PM
http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1860-1052195,00.html

Would anyone sign him when he looks like he does in that picture?!?! :D

Jimbo ?
21-05-2002, 12:06 AM
Mark Hughes - are you trying to get us relegated and bust in 1 step - would prefer armstrong any day - dont really want either much though