PDA

View Full Version : What about Vialli ?

pedro
22-04-2002, 11:49 PM
I know he hasn't set Vicarage Road alight this season (more's the pity!!) but he certainly tries to play the type of football that we appreciated earlier in the season. He would have had more chance in teaching the PG chimps to play a passing game than the misfits he has at Watford (admittedly he did sign some of them). However, they did manage to beat us twice so they couldn't have been that bad !
Seriously, he has the players here that can play the quality football he is trying to teach, and if he was to gain promotion he has the contacts to get decent players to the club in order to maintain Premiership status (money willing). He will also motivate the players and will certainly gain their immediate respect something the current manager has failed to achieve. If he becomes available, which is looking likely, I suggest that SJ should take a keen interest as he is just the type of leader we need.

Zimmer
22-04-2002, 11:53 PM
i was just thinking the exact same thing, so totally agree. vialli provides the style of management that will suit our players

BUNGLE
22-04-2002, 11:56 PM
So were not happy with a manager who has made us finish in 10th but want to replace him with a manager who spent more money, has had more time and finished lower?

zonin2000
23-04-2002, 12:06 AM
Vialli cocked up at Watford, but who's to say he wouldn't pull a Keegan with Palace?

Thing is, how on earth would we get him to come to us.

Actually, it would be too big a risk.

But Jordan is a gambler.

Oh but we've got Francis. Oh well, he'll do :p.

Jimbo ?
23-04-2002, 01:25 AM
Vialli - this is a joke isnt it????

Please Please Please!!!!

pedro
23-04-2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
Vialli - this is a joke isnt it????

Please Please Please!!!!

In case you hadn't noticed we already have a joke for a manager, we are just looking for a possible (and hopefully immediate) replacement.

Walrus
23-04-2002, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by BUNGLE
So were not happy with a manager who has made us finish in 10th but want to replace him with a manager who spent more money, has had more time and finished lower?

Spot on.

And we'd end up signing a load of past-it never-was (not even has-beens) type players on big wages.

His tenure at Watford has shown for all to see that Vialli has not got what it takes to manage at this level.

As for doing a Keegan, I'd really like to see wor Kevin try and do a job without having a bottomless pit of funds to draw on.

Pete B
23-04-2002, 03:39 AM
Amazing. One of Trevor Francis' biggest critics now thinks we should go for Vialli. The guy has ****ed Watford in one season leaving them with a number of overpaid wasters that they can't get rid of.

He rode on the coattails of Gullit's team at Chelscum and has shown his true management capabilities in leading Watford to 14th place in Div One.

If you are serious about replacing Francis come up with a better idea that Vialli.

glaziers fan
23-04-2002, 05:30 AM
i disagree with all you Vialli bashers! What the team needs is a manager they can respect. Someone who knows how to play top-class football. Some1 who has won things. Some1 who will inspire them! Some1 who will motivate them! The coaches r good, all we need is a decent manager! And i think Kember shud be in charge of transfers anyway! He has been chief scout before! He must know how to spot a bargain or 2! Experienced wasters r what we dont need. Vialli will take one look at our squad and realise he needs no-one bar a serie-A creative midfielder. He will bring in Francesco Totti (ok an up and coming Francesco Totti!) and we'll win promtion! Thats another thing. I'm sick and tired of hearing people saying they want us to make the play-offs! Bar Manchester City, we did have the best starting 11 of any side in the division! I will contest that fact with any1 who wants to lose an argument! So, really we should be looking at automatic promotion, if not winning the championship!

Si121
23-04-2002, 07:10 AM
I agree about the best starting 11 in the league. But we don't know that for a fact.
I'm not sure how Vialli would do. I'd rather have Peter Taylor though. Anyway, What is Ruud Gullit doing now?

MadRabbiinaCrimsonVolvo
23-04-2002, 09:58 AM
The true test for Vialli as a manager was Watford. At Chelsea he had massive amounts of money available for new players and to pay good wages. He took over a successful squad. He did well there and won Chelsea prizes. That said, something went on behind the scenes that led to his downfall there. It was alleged some senior players conspired to get rid of him, so it can't have been all perfect there?

When he took over at Watford, Vialli was given - by Watford's standards - a big transfer pot of money and the freedom to pay Premiership-style wages. Essentially, he signed a lot of foreign players -people like Blondeau, Galli, Issa, and Vega who were either too old, had failed before in English football, or just weren't good enough, period. He also got rid of a lot of players that were Watford through and through. He also dumped Watford men like Luther Blissett and Ken Jackett - another big mistake - and brought in Ray Wilkins who has hardly set the world on fire as a coach and manager.

Watford have had a very poor season under Vialli and Wilkins. There's talk the board at Watford want them to go. All the evidence so far suggests Vialli makes expensive mistakes with other people's money and just can't cut the mustard in the 1st Division. Why would that change if came to us?

If Francis is to go, - and we can't have Coppell back - then let's give somebody like Alan Pardew a chance. If Pardew doesn't want to know, then let's look at a younger manager, somebody who's fought to keep a club with limited resources in a higher league - Ronnie Moore, for example. We've gone for damaged goods three times since SC was forced out and look what good it's done us.

Ruskin Old Boy
23-04-2002, 01:02 PM
Unlikely that TF will be going - and as much as I like Vialli he doesn't seem to be able to hack as a manager in the First. Rumour is that Gary Megson is unhappy with his position at West Brom (lack of funds, Chairman taken responsibility for scouting and buying new players). Altogether a better choice:p

Ian of Chatham
23-04-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Pete B
Amazing. One of Trevor Francis' biggest critics now thinks we should go for Vialli. The guy has ****ed Watford in one season leaving them with a number of overpaid wasters that they can't get rid of.

He rode on the coattails of Gullit's team at Chelscum and has shown his true management capabilities in leading Watford to 14th place in Div One.

If you are serious about replacing Francis come up with a better idea that Vialli.
Yes it is amazing.

Whatever I think of Vialli would be irrelevant anyway as I do not believe he would come to us under any circumstances. Compared to Watford we have a less patient chairman and we also have less patient support who would probably want him out after 20 games anyway if he repeats his Watford form here.

zonin2000
23-04-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
What the team needs is a manager they can respect. Someone who knows how to play top-class football. Some1 who has won things.
Trevor Francis!

Originally posted by glaziers fan
And i think Kember shud be in charge of transfers anyway!... ...Vialli will take one look at our squad and realise he needs no-one bar a serie-A creative midfielder. He will bring in an up and coming Francesco Totti and we'll win promtion!

But you want Kember to manage transfers :confused:

Lords Eagle
24-04-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Unlikely that TF will be going - and as much as I like Vialli he doesn't seem to be able to hack as a manager in the First. Rumour is that Gary Megson is unhappy with his position at West Brom (lack of funds, Chairman taken responsibility for scouting and buying new players). Altogether a better choice:p

Now that I'd like to see!:p

Sir.S.C Remembered
24-04-2002, 01:14 PM
I was thinking same thing BUT too many foreigners on huge wages