PDA

View Full Version : Should Joe Cole Go To The World Cup?


What?
23-04-2002, 04:22 AM
Well its not that hard to work out is it.

I personly think he should, and Hargreaves as well!

Si121
23-04-2002, 04:38 AM
The poll agrees so far. He's quality. I think we need a player like Joe there. Somebody with a bit of flair. I think Hargreaves and Keown should go to. And we shouldn't have Trevor Sinclair.

nicky
23-04-2002, 04:43 AM
He has to be in the 22.

Sir.S.C Remembered
24-04-2002, 01:19 AM
He is amazingly talented and may develop to be better than gazza was or could have been (if thats possible to do because he never reached peak) and although he doesn't like being compared to Gazza his style is so similar and he really is a great talent who can turn a game all of a sudden despite oppositions pressure etc. Scholes is a great player in his own right and getting into form at the right time with a wealth of experience behind him but talent can cover for experience and Scholes is not the most consistent player and if he is not performing or if we are chasing a game I cannot think of an english midfield player more likely to cause the opposition the greatest problems. I've been saying it for over a year now, JOE MUST GO!

Poll agrees with me too

P.S. Went to Eng U21s vs Argentina U21s about a year ago and Cole played the second half and along with Lee Hendrie was sensational

Le Saux should also go if fit as a left winger

What?
24-04-2002, 01:33 AM
100% yes! Whoooo

Before Italia 90, Mr Gazza was a young untried footballer the country and management wernt sure about, and look what happend to him!

sydney eagle
24-04-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Si121
He's quality. I think we need a player like Joe there. Somebody with a bit of flair. I think Hargreaves and Keown should go to. And we shouldn't have Trevor Sinclair. I agree with this totally.:)

What?
24-04-2002, 01:46 AM
Who said No? You are :moo: 's

Niceaction
24-04-2002, 01:46 AM
Nope. Until he learns what to do with the ball in the final 3rd he shouldnt go. Any half decent premiership player can juggle the ball on their shoulder and do 100 keepy ups in training. But Joe does this during the match, with no end product.
He's useless when he has to defend. And EVERY midfielder has to defend at one point during the match.

He's also one of the biggest divers I have ever seen. He's worse than the Italians/Argentinians, and a disgrace to England. This is of course just my opinion.

I wouldnt mind seeing Hargreaves there though.

Steve in Phoenix
24-04-2002, 04:59 AM
But what if England are trailing or trying to break a deadlock in a game they need to win? Do we bring on Sinclair or Lampard? Nah I'd rather see Joe Cole ready to come on and bring something different to the team.. something the opposition isnt ready for.. on the left.. on the right.. in the hole.. the way I see it we might as well take him as something different even if he cant defend.. Gazza wasnt too hot at that either..

I'd like to see Owen Hargreaves go too.

Si121
24-04-2002, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Niceaction
Nope. Until he learns what to do with the ball in the final 3rd he shouldnt go. Any half decent premiership player can juggle the ball on their shoulder and do 100 keepy ups in training. But Joe does this during the match, with no end product.
He's useless when he has to defend. And EVERY midfielder has to defend at one point during the match.

He's also one of the biggest divers I have ever seen. He's worse than the Italians/Argentinians, and a disgrace to England. This is of course just my opinion.

I wouldnt mind seeing Hargreaves there though.

I think you'll find that it's not about ball juggling skills. It's about the ability to take on players and get past them using skills and Joe Cole is one that can do this. Don't know if you've noticed before but Zidane and Figo aren't the greatest tacklers in the game either.

garner
24-04-2002, 05:28 AM
Cole In
Hargreaves In

Butt OUT!

Si121
24-04-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by garner
Cole In
Hargreaves In

Butt OUT!

That leaves you with 1 more player to put in.

GUCCI Eagle
24-04-2002, 05:38 AM
I think it's good to have an 'extrovert' in your squad for the World Cup, but I also think that Joe Cole might be a bit lightweight for for the highest level of football.

GUCCI Eagle
24-04-2002, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by garner
Cole In
Hargreaves In

Butt OUT!

Having watched Butt in recent games, I really can't agree with you.

Niceaction
24-04-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Si121


I think you'll find that it's not about ball juggling skills. It's about the ability to take on players and get past them using skills and Joe Cole is one that can do this. Don't know if you've noticed before but Zidane and Figo aren't the greatest tacklers in the game either.

I think you will find that Zidane and Figo are match winners of the highest degree! Joe Cole only dreams of being half as good as them. Also, if you have ever watched Zidane play, you would know that is quite a hard tackler, willing to put the boot in at all times. Unlike the lightweight wimp that is Joe Cole!

El Aguila
24-04-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Niceaction


I think you will find that Zidane and Figo are match winners of the highest degree! Joe Cole only dreams of being half as good as them. Also, if you have ever watched Zidane play, you would know that is quite a hard tackler, willing to put the boot in at all times. Unlike the lightweight wimp that is Joe Cole!
I used to watch Figo regularly when he was 22 or 23 and he was not expected to be the match winner at barcelona - he was in the team because he was a skilful player and he gradually began to assume a central rôle over the next three or four years. You won't go far wrong by gambling on natural skill - I was over for the Italy game and would have thought that making a goal out of nothing is at least as important as giving away a half chance. I think Zidane is a fairly clumsy tackler, as well.

Niceaction
24-04-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by El Aguila

I think Zidane is a fairly clumsy tackler, as well.

Id rather a midfield player was a clumsy tackler, than a pussy!

lightweight
25-04-2002, 05:09 PM
Im sure I saw Joe Cole play for West Ham's youth team a while back against Palace. You could see how good he was even then. His recent performances suggest that he could be worth a squad place for the World Cup - super sub type player I reckon. Been very impressed with him so far.

sideshow bob
27-04-2002, 12:37 PM
Still think it's too soon for him,yeah he's a great player but i'd rather be taking Steve McManaman.
Cole's time will come.

Boris the charltonhater
27-04-2002, 05:19 PM
He shouldn't go because there is no way he will played other than perhaps for about two minutes at the end of a match that is already over. He should go with the under 21s. Doing well in the under 21 championship will be a lot better for him than having to walk of dejected after England have been knocked out of the world cup by Nigeria.

Si121
28-04-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Boris
He shouldn't go because there is no way he will played other than perhaps for about two minutes at the end of a match that is already over. He should go with the under 21s. Doing well in the under 21 championship will be a lot better for him than having to walk of dejected after England have been knocked out of the world cup by Nigeria.

As if that's ever gonna happen.

two.five what?
30-04-2002, 04:55 PM
Yep the next Gazza and the only player in the england team with any class or flair (except Jansen!)