PDA

View Full Version : Kuffour on trial at Palace


Clapham Grand
23-04-2002, 04:45 PM
Sorry - not the Bayern Munich defender, but I assume it is the Arsenal striker, he played in the reserves against Bristol City

From Gunners website:
Promising English striker who was a sensation in the Under 19 side, helping Arsenal to win the 1999-2000 FA Youth Cup. Was also leading scorer for the reserves in 2000-01.
Joined Second Division Swindon Town on loan in August 2001, making his League debut in a 2-0 home defeat at the hands of Oldham Athletic.

There was joy to come in his second game for the Robins, however. He netted the opening goal in a 3-0 win at Bury.


Anyone got any more info on him or how he did?

Daniel_Nash
23-04-2002, 04:46 PM
Joe Osei Kuffour?

arussell
23-04-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Anyone got any more info on him or how he perfromed at Swindon?


Looked average at best to me. Pacey - didn't always see a lot of the ball, showed one neat turn, looked a little lightweight.

I guess he won't get anymore games to impress, since that was our last of the season.

Jimbo ?
24-04-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by arussell


Looked average at best ...... little lightweight.




should fit in well!!!!!!

Dartford Lad
24-04-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Daniel_Nash
Joe Osei Kuffour?


Yep.

samaul1cpfc
24-04-2002, 03:36 PM
its not leon mckenzie is it! lightweight didnt see a lot of the ball definetely leon!

Palace Don
24-04-2002, 04:44 PM
http://www.arsenal.com/sportsappcontroller.jsp?command=forwardOnly&nextPage=/playerfiles/reserves/res_kuffour.jsp

pete eagle
24-04-2002, 10:47 PM
I'd hope that he will get a chance in some friendlies to show his worth.

brighton_eagle
28-06-2002, 05:38 PM
Ignore the spunkgull, he'll go away.

Crunchie
29-06-2002, 02:12 AM
Hes got a great goal scoring record for a defender ;)

Dartford Lad
19-07-2002, 03:53 PM
Arsenal have released defender David Grondin and highly-rated young striker Jo Osei Kuffour, with the latter now training at Crystal Palace.
Grondin made three appearances for Arsenal with just one of them coming in the Premiership, and the French defender will not be returning from his loan spell with Beveren - marking the end of his Gunners career.
The French defender was tipped for great things after arriving for 500,000 from St Etienne, but has proved to be one of Arsene Wenger's less astute purchases.
Kuffour, meanwhile, has suffered from the form of Wenger's galaxy of world-class attacking talent and has been released from his Arsenal contract in order to fix himself up with a new club.
The young striker, who enjoyed a loan spell with Swindon last season, will spend pre-season with the Eagles in a bid to win himself a long-term deal at Selhurst Park.

King Tubby
19-07-2002, 04:22 PM
Christ, what is it with us and the Arsenal Youth team? Black, Gray, Cole on loan, now this, personally I'm holding out for Jermaine Pennant:)

But to be fair he looks alright doesn't he?

Jo was the reserves top scorer last season grabbing 11 goals in just 16 starts. Jo also scored 13 goals for the Under-19s in just eight starts and he certainly has that priceless knack of being in the right place at the right time. At one point last term, Jo enjoyed a remarkable run of scoring in eight consecutive games for the Gunners.

King Tubby
19-07-2002, 04:23 PM
That quote's from the link Palace Don posted btw.

Jaffa
19-07-2002, 04:28 PM
He is very highly rated and would make an excellent back up player for the first team.

MAX
19-07-2002, 04:53 PM
I think this is exactly where we should be looking for players.

Selhurst300
19-07-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by MAX
I think this is exactly where we should be looking for players.
Agreed, but not just at Arsenal.:)

Beanie
19-07-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Selhurst300

Agreed, but not just at Arsenal.:)

Yes, we should be looking anywhere - but surely there aren't that many clubs who have the quality youth structure to produce good youngsters AND can buy in the really top players, meaning that they end up releasing the ones they have developed.

Jaffa
19-07-2002, 06:04 PM
The Liverpool ones are more likely to end up at Crewe and the Manure ones at Preston.

Stick to local teams... Arsenal, Chelsea, Charlton and Spurs.

Jason
19-07-2002, 06:23 PM
Right, so this guy's young, keen , and scored shed loads of goals for the Arsenal reserve team. He's also on a free, and would be unlikely to ask for mega wages. Oh, and btw, we need another striker and don't have much money to spend by all accounts.

Maybe I'm missing something, but seems ideal to me.

Jordan's Jacket
19-07-2002, 06:29 PM
I'd much prefer a young player, with potential and on cheap wages eager to prove himself then an old, cynical journeyman trying to cash in, in the twilight of his career. This guy will have the hunger and will not be a prima-donna. Sign him up, I assume he's an improvement on what we already have i.e Kabba

Cleon
19-07-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Jordan's Jacket
Sign him up, I assume he's an improvement on what we already have i.e Kabba

I agree, but only if he is an improvement on Kabba. There'd be no point in getting in another player who is no better.

Clapham Grand
19-07-2002, 07:02 PM
Let's see what he is like when he gets a run-out in the reserves pre-season friendlies

Noodlezz
19-07-2002, 08:58 PM
Sounds like a player who could be ideal given the current situation. I don't mind if he has come from the Arsenal youth team, look at the calibre of the other players from there i.e. Gray, Black, andf Cole etc. Its that sort of skill we need.

AJ
20-07-2002, 12:27 AM
This is Palace and I am sure we will let him go elsewhere, where he will do well, transfer to the Prem for millions and play for England in the next World Cup.

Riccardo
20-07-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by AJ
This is Palace and I am sure we will let him go elsewhere, where he will do well, transfer to the Prem for millions and play for England in the next World Cup.

:D probably.

Walrus
20-07-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Jason
Right, so this guy's young, keen , and scored shed loads of goals for the Arsenal reserve team. He's also on a free, and would be unlikely to ask for mega wages. Oh, and btw, we need another striker and don't have much money to spend by all accounts.

Maybe I'm missing something, but seems ideal to me.

Argue what this logic at your peril ! Good shout Jason.

What?
20-07-2002, 02:46 AM
Sounds promissing! Lets hope he is as good as he sounds!

Celestial Empire
20-07-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa
The Liverpool ones are more likely to end up at Crewe and the Manure ones at Preston.

Stick to local teams... Arsenal, Chelsea, Charlton and Spurs.

Impeccable logic Jaf ......... just leave out the clowns, please ?
;)

BUNGLE
20-07-2002, 03:24 PM
His in the reserve squad for todays game.

arussell
22-07-2002, 03:50 AM
Quote: Jo was the reserves top scorer last season grabbing 11 goals

We don't need him based on the one time I saw him (although I'd prefer to see him play for us two, three more times before making a proper judgement).

Gareth Williams scored 14 last season.

Jaffa
22-07-2002, 04:00 AM
But Al, Kuffours record was 11 in 16 games and also 13 in 8 starts for the U-19s, so the record is an impressive one. Not sure how many Williams played?

I would like to see (as I have said on many an occasion), his Arsenal team mate Graham Barrett join Palace as he is a quality striker.

As for Celestial and "not the Clowns" - they have turned out some good players in recent years, and we could have done worse to sign Shittu.

Jaffa
22-07-2002, 04:04 AM
Jeremie Aliadiere would be the best signing from Arsenal but I expect we would have to splash out a sizeable wad of Clinton-esque proportions to land him.

arussell
22-07-2002, 04:10 AM
Williams bagged 14 in 14 starts last season (plus 7 more subs appearances). As I say - I'll make a proper judgement when I've seen more of the Arsenal chap - but he didn't do much in the Bristol City game he played in (hopefully he'll get a run out in the reserves this week).

I've been more impressed with Gareth - than I was when Clinton was at the same stage/age of his career and I saw him.

I'd like to see more of Barrett - haven't seen too much of him yet - but have liked the little I have seen.

I'd have snapped up Chris Greenacre myself - but Stoke have already done that.

Oisin
22-07-2002, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Jaffa
I would like to see (as I have said on many an occasion), his Arsenal team mate Graham Barrett join Palace as he is a quality striker.


The gunners wouldn't let him go. They rate him very highly. Of course if we hadn't mucked them about so much we could have tried for the loan butthey won't be doing business with Palace for a while.

Jaffa
22-07-2002, 04:14 AM
Fair enough Al, didnt realise Williams had such a good record in the reserves.

Is he good enough to make the step up, and what type of forward is he?

I would certainly like to see more of Arsenals youth come to Palace, I reckon we could get Barrett if we put in a decent offer, as Arsenal have got rid of some fringe players this year. A season long loan offer for Alidiere wouldnt go amiss either and I think that would go a long way to bridging the gap that Morrison will leave.

Jaffa
22-07-2002, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Oisin


The gunners wouldn't let him go. They rate him very highly. Of course if we hadn't mucked them about so much we could have tried for the loan butthey won't be doing business with Palace for a while.

Big shame.

arussell
22-07-2002, 04:17 AM
I think Williams IS good enough given the time. He's better than Martin, Kabba, Dsane, Jason Harris or any of the others that have passed us by in recent times.

As for type of player - he likes the ball at his feet and isn't afraid to shoot on goal or run at players (in skill he is similar to Dougie but with more get up and go about him - and none of Dougie's sulking !).

But - the key thing is - he needs to be developed properly and given time to learn. Too often this never happens.

Beanie
22-07-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by arussell
I think Williams IS good enough given the time. He's better than Martin, Kabba, Dsane, Jason Harris or any of the others that have passed us by in recent times.

As for type of player - he likes the ball at his feet and isn't afraid to shoot on goal or run at players (in skill he is similar to Dougie but with more get up and go about him - and none of Dougie's sulking !).

But - the key thing is - he needs to be developed properly and given time to learn. Too often this never happens.

So, given that assessment, which makes a lot of sense, especially about being properly developed (same applies to Routledge I'd say), I'd assume he's not ready for a lot of games this year. Am I right? Or would you like to see him playing - but not been overly critisised when it goes badly for him (Some hope!:rolleyes: )?

arussell
22-07-2002, 03:35 PM
I'd like to see him gradually be bought into the first team squad.

By that - I mean from the subs bench with a few appearances (or possibly more) during the season (actually coming on as opposed to sitting there :rolleyes: )

He should be a starter in every reserve game as well, which should go a long way to bringing him along.

sydney eagle
22-07-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa
and we could have done worse to sign Shittu. couldn't think of a more apt name for a Palace player with the way we are currently playing:D sign him up NOW!!! :D:D

Jason
07-08-2002, 12:47 AM
So what has happened with this guy in the end. did we follow up our interest, or has he been let go ? ?

Beanie
07-08-2002, 02:54 AM
He didn't appear at the reserves Crawley friendly tonight, although people like Sam Togwell and Karim Nabil did. If he's behind them I'd guess he's gone.

PS - revisiting this when awake, I'm not knocking either of these lads, my point was that they aren't likely to figure for the first team just yet, but they are ahead of Kuffour it would seem.

07-08-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Beanie
He didn't appear at the reserves Crawley friendly tonight, although people like Sam Togwell and Karim Nabil did. If he's behind them I'd guess he's gone.

PS - revisiting this when awake, I'm not knocking either of these lads, my point was that they aren't likely to figure for the first team just yet, but they are ahead of Kuffour it would seem.

With Kabba in pre-season friendlies scoring a First team goal v Barnet, 4 Reserve goals v Whyteleafe and 4 more v Crawley Town, a total of nine goals in 5 first team and reserve outings, it is hard to see how Kuffour (2 goals in 3 reserve matches) could get the nod ahead of either Stephen or Gareth Williams (6 goals in 6 first team and reserve friendlies). I too think he may have now moved on.

PeterH
08-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Did Kabba score 4 goals against Crawley, I am very confused I am sure G23 told me last night someone else had scored two of them. G23 was adamant. :confused: :confused:

OKnotOK
08-08-2002, 04:41 PM
Na Kabba scored all four:

See here (http://www.cpfc.co.uk/today/view/breaking_news_detail/0,,10323~251476,00.html)

Apparently Rubins set a couple up and was absolutely awesome.

g23
08-08-2002, 04:44 PM
Oops, addle-headed, sorry. I was blathering something about AJ getting two the other night.

Walrus
08-08-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by OKnotOK

Apparently Rubins set a couple up and was absolutely awesome.

One day playing up front for Latvia in a Euro qualifier, the next having to step up in class against Crawley Town.

If he didn't look awesome he'd need shooting.

Gooders
08-08-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
G23 was adam ant.

Was he? A King of the Wild Frontier eh?