PDA

View Full Version : Best Goalkeeper in Europe

RealMadridEagle
24-04-2002, 10:10 PM
I have used keepers from the 4 remaining Euro Cup teams plus some other choice. My choice i not biased because I support Real Madrid, but César is probably the best one on one GK I have ever seen, and he normally only gets beaten by headers/volleys and long range efforts. Anyone watch highlights last night? He was on form. Surprised he played on after being knocked out. Shouldn't really have been booked. Would you take a goal kick when you've had a firework thrown at you? Amazed David Pleat called him "A fine young goalkeeper" Considering he is 31 :rolleyes:

g23
24-04-2002, 10:19 PM
I was thinking the other day how unfortunate van der Saar has been. eighteen months ago he was first choice at Juve, and if you'd have asked 20 football fans, at least half would have picked him as the world's number one, filling the gap 'left' by Schmeichel. He goes to Fulham, plays the same as ever for a largely anonymous team and isn't even going to the World Cup. Now at least half will vote for Dudek, a keeper for a high-profile team who had a negligible profile before arriving at Anfield around the same time Edwin met Mo.

Hard game, football.

AddiscombeEagle
24-04-2002, 10:22 PM
I choose the Monkey man himself, Oliver Kahn. However, he has begun to look as if age is creeping up on him recently.

Steve in Phoenix
24-04-2002, 10:29 PM
Peter Schmeichel is the best. what do you mean Im behind the times?

Farid Mondragon and Angelo Peruzzi

Sunny Fan
24-04-2002, 10:30 PM
Farid Mondragón of Galatasaray and Colombia is pretty useful between the sticks

Sunny Fan
24-04-2002, 10:31 PM
Blimey Steve, beat me by a minute. Still at least it shows he should be up there:)

RealMadridEagle
24-04-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Sunny Fan
Still at least it shows he should be up there:)

To be honest I didn't know where he played, last I heard he was in Spain or France. I guess my choices are from the most competitive leagues, although Mondragon was one of the better keepers at WC 98 I must admit :p

El Aguila
24-04-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by RealMadridEagle
I have used keepers from the 4 remaining Euro Cup teams plus some other choice. My choice i not biased because I support Real Madrid, but César is probably the best one on one GK I have ever seen, and he normally only gets beaten by headers/volleys and long range efforts. Anyone watch highlights last night? He was on form. Surprised he played on after being knocked out. Shouldn't really have been booked. Would you take a goal kick when you've had a firework thrown at you? Amazed David Pleat called him "A fine young goalkeeper" Considering he is 31 :rolleyes:
Cesar is a very good keeper (although, did you see his blunder in the League match at the Camp Nou?) and Casillas will probably be quite good one day. But I reckon the two Italians are way ahead of both of them. I watched the whole match last night and have seen more Real Madrid matches than you've had hot dinners, young pup.

Sunny Fan
That's OK, he's up there now with my vote:p

RealMadridEagle
EXCUSE ME!!! Who changed Scum to Barcelona? :veryangry

Sunny Fan
24-04-2002, 10:36 PM
EXCUSE ME!!! Who changed Scum to Barcelona? :veryangry
:D

(Closet Barca fan, they've always hated fascists you see)

RealMadridEagle
24-04-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by El Aguila

Cesar is a very good keeper (although, did you see his blunder in the League match at the Camp Nou?) and Casillas will probably be quite good one day. But I reckon the two Italians are way ahead of both of them. I watched the whole match last night and have seen more Real Madrid matches than you've had hot dinners, young pup.

No I did not see it, I don't really get to watch the Spanish matches on TV as my Mum always hogs the TV :veryangry Casillas is good, and I think luckily for him Real Madrid let Valladolid loan Cesar back for a season when they signed him otherwise we may never have heard of him. He only got his chance because Illgner was injured and Bizzarri was sh*t to say the least, and I agree with Toshack (Comment that got him sacked) "My grandmother could have done better in goal". Illgner never really got another chance and retired, Bizzarri was sent off to Valladolid (He's not even first choice there) and Cesar everntually signed, and featured mostly last season behind Casillas on the bench. This season young Iker (only 21 this year) has looked shaky. El Aguila any idea who Spain's three World Cup keepers will be? I presume Canizares and Molina and one of Cesar, Casillas and Esteban?

g23
24-04-2002, 10:41 PM
(that was me - tehee!)

LLCOOLSTEVE
24-04-2002, 10:42 PM
Buffon......loadsa potential.

Sunny Fan
24-04-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by g23
(that was me - tehee!)
No it wasn't it was me! (Did you really do it as well by the way, now that's very spooky)

g23
24-04-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Sunny Fan
No it wasn't it was me! (Did you really do it as well by the way, now that's very spooky)

No, I mean I did the next one that'll really annoy him! See above...

Sunny Fan
24-04-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by g23
(that was me - tehee!)
I'll happily credit you with FC Franco though:p

RealMadridEagle
24-04-2002, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by g23

No, I mean I did the next one that'll really annoy him! See above...

You really thing the Franco thiing annoys me? The fact that the whole thing happened years before I was born? Not at all :confused: The thing that does upset me tho is that you put FC when it should be Franco CF :p

zonin2000
24-04-2002, 10:47 PM
I voted for Dudek, I changed my mind at the last minute from Buffon, not sure why but I suppose it's my gut feeling so I'll stick with it.

But what about Oscar Cordoba?

Perhaps even Carlo Cudicini, he's certainly better than Bonano :eek::eek:
he's sh!te!!

El Aguila
24-04-2002, 10:49 PM

El Aguila any idea who Spain's three World Cup keepers will be? I presume Canizares and Molina and one of Cesar, Casillas and Esteban?
Goodness me, you are a well informed fellow. I think Bizarri has been playing recently for Valladolid, mind.
At present it looks like Casillas would be Camacho's first choice (although he is a bit shaky on high balls) and Cañizares (definitely the best Spanish keeper IMO) and Molina will go as back up. I would send Cesar rather than Casillas but Camacho's gone a bit weird on us lately - expect to see Munitis (very poor forward I would say) featured quite a lot as well.

g23
24-04-2002, 10:50 PM
You really thing the Franco thiing annoys me?

No, just teasing - I'll go change it back in a minute. Although if you were a Lazio supporter and their political leanings didn't bother you I'd be worried (they're current - don't know about Real).

RealMadridEagle
24-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by zonin2000
1. But what about Oscar Cordoba?

2. better than Bonano :eek::eek:
he's sh!te!!

1. He doesn't play in Europe, unless Boca Juniors have suddenly moved :confused::eek:

2. I agree he is a terrible keeper, seems the old scumbags don't know how to pick a keeper, I mean Duruel, Arnau, Reina isn't even that good. Seems they've never really replaced Zubizaretta. They rate Casillas as they were wanting to buy him last season :p but ya can't have him ya scum, he's staying with Real Madrid. :D

RealMadridEagle
24-04-2002, 10:58 PM

Goodness me, you are a well informed fellow. I think Bizarri has been playing recently for Valladolid, mind.
At present it looks like Casillas would be Camacho's first choice (although he is a bit shaky on high balls) and Cañizares (definitely the best Spanish keeper IMO) and Molina will go as back up. I would send Cesar rather than Casillas but Camacho's gone a bit weird on us lately - expect to see Munitis (very poor forward I would say) featured quite a lot as well.

I can't understand why a national coach would pick a keeper who's out of favour with his club. That problem came up when Molina and Toni were both at Scumletico Madrid. I think Cesar is the better of the two. Casillas is shaky on high balls, he's not the tallest of keepers, but then neither is Canizares, and Cesar is the best at one on ones, and he has an excellent record with saving penalties which could come in handy. I'll expect Canizares (ex-Real Madrid, had stupid hair back then though :p), Molina and one of our Cesar and Casillas.

Another keeper who is actually quite good and was once of Real Madrid is Pedro Contreras of Malaga.

Lemme test my knowledge:
Real Madrid: Cesar, Casillas, Carlos, Arroyo
Barcascum: Bonano, Reina, Dutruel
Sociedad: Westerveld, Asper
Valladolid: Bizzarri, Ricardo
Valencia: Canizares, Palop
Mallorca: Roa, Leo Franco

AddiscombeEagle
24-04-2002, 11:01 PM
Going slightly off course have you read "Barca". Fantastic book. Informative and interesting at the same time.

What?
25-04-2002, 02:43 AM
What about me?

Im pretty nifty between the sticks!

I once went 45 mins solid without conceding a goal, in a 5 a side match!

Benzhiyi
25-04-2002, 02:45 AM
Had to vote for Kahn. Aside from the 5-1 game (yes I said 5-1! he has been the most consistent keeper in Europe over the past five or so years.

Jolly Norwegian
25-04-2002, 03:07 AM
Barcelona is scum? What does that make Real Madrid...? c0cksuckers, Hierro must be one of biggest dirtbags to ever play football, the way he kicked and slapped the bayern munich players whenever the ref didn't look... Now, I don't like B.Munich, but I hate players who do that sort of stuff.

RealMadridEagle
25-04-2002, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Jolly Norwegian
Barcelona is scum? What does that make Real Madrid...? c0cksuckers, Hierro must be one of biggest dirtbags to ever play football, the way he kicked and slapped the bayern munich players whenever the ref didn't look... Now, I don't like B.Munich, but I hate players who do that sort of stuff.

And that has what to do with this thread? :rolleyes: yes Barca are scum. Yes I love and support Real Madrid as well as Crystal Palace. Oh I know lets all have a go at me. I'm surprised Buffon has so many, I don't really rate him. Toldo is exceptionally good, Kahn is starting to look slow and old. No one obviously likes a penalty taking GK in Butt, and well Barthez is pants.

LLCOOLSTEVE
25-04-2002, 04:20 AM

I'm surprised Buffon has so many, I don't really rate him.

30 odd million pounds worth..........

RealMadridEagle
25-04-2002, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE

30 odd million pounds worth..........
He was £23m and I still don't rate him. I never really rate Italian GK's, they're worse than Kolinko was last season, Peruzzi was aweful, as is Buffon. Toldo seems different to the rest, oh and I also rated Pagliuca.

nicky
25-04-2002, 04:57 AM
Does anyone else think Shay Given is rubbish?

RDSdaEAGLE
25-04-2002, 05:13 AM
Hierro may be a cocksucking scumbag, but he's also one of the worlds most experienced and skillful defenders...when myself and 5 other friends of mine went to Madrid to see RM play against Atheltic Bilbao, Hierro dominated the back-line, and almost scored the goal of the season with a shot from half-way inside his own area.

My first preference for Goalkeepers would have to be Santiago Canizares...a superb all round keeper.

El Aguila
25-04-2002, 01:52 PM
The trouble with Hierro is that he has a licence to kill. He's one of the dirtiest players in the whole Spanish League but referees let him get away with murder, and have done for several years (since he started slowing up). Expect him also to strain his back in training if Spain are drawn against any particularly nippy strikers in the World Cup (as happened when he heard the name Trezeguet at Euro 2000). Tito Bonano ain't that bad either, and I don't think Barcelona were ever really after Casillas (you need to learn to distinguish between reality and the stuff the Spanish football press fill their papers with), the trouble for any Barcelona keeper is the fact that the team always plays in the opposition's half so they are very exposed. The resentment about Real Madrid here is not limited to the teams that you imaginatively call "Scumelona" and "Scumlético Madrid" (stop it Oscar, you're killing me), it's a consequence on the one hand of their negotiating with players who are under contract behind clubs' backs (ask Deportivo about Manuel Pablo, Valencia about Gaizka Mendieta, or Barcelona about Luis Figo) which they do, on the other hand, with money basically stolen from the taxpayer. Do you know how come they have so much money when three years ago they had three hundred million pounds worth of debt? I'll tell you. They had some training grounds in the north of the city which were forcibly taken from private ownership in the 1950s by the Franco régime to be used for sport and run by Real Madrid. Fifty years later, the city has grown and the land is worth a thousand million. Madrid's right wing council, under the benevolent eye of our Madrid supporting, ex-Falange Youth Prime Minister, Aznar, reclassifies the land for residential and business use and permits Real Madrid to sell it for that purpose - end of debt and R. Madrid is suddenly the wealthiest club in the world

Benzhiyi
25-04-2002, 02:10 PM

He was £23m and I still don't rate him. I never really rate Italian GK's, they're worse than Kolinko was last season, Peruzzi was aweful, as is Buffon. Toldo seems different to the rest, oh and I also rated Pagliuca.

Have to agree and say that I actually think Toldo is a lot better than Buffon - he virtually got them to the final of Euro 2000 on his own and I think has been exceptionally unlucky never to be considered first choice - he has always been behind Pagluica, Peruzzi and now Buffon.

Kind of similar to us, where I genuinely believe big Nige whouls have been out first choice from WC 98 onwards.

Elephant with mouse gyp
25-04-2002, 05:05 PM
Visca el Barca.

Samo*
25-04-2002, 05:17 PM
The cat

SKILLS
25-04-2002, 05:18 PM
ALEX KOLINKO of course! :)

BenCouchman
25-04-2002, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by El Aguila
Tito Bonano ain't that bad either

What? He's terrible. Evertime Barca play he gets away with terrible mistakes. For McManamans goal he was almost lying down when he shot! He came out when Raul shot early and was lucky to save it and if you listen to any commentator when Barca play they will say what a terrible goalkeeper he is! They will replace him at the end of the season no question.

Best Gaolkeeper? Toldo. Very unlucky not to be number 1 for Italy. Buffon is over-rated.

Ruskin Old Boy
25-04-2002, 07:27 PM
Top post El Aguila:p but I won't dwell on the inconsistences of a Palace lover supporting RM as this is a keeper thread. Buffon is the best in the world at the moment (and pleased to see others think so).

BTW Lazio remain the number one fascist club in West Europe. Plenty of different ultra groups support them. Always a sieg-heil fest when they play Verona

:(

Levski
25-04-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by BenCouchman
[QUOTE]Originally posted by El Aguila
Tito Bonano ain't that bad either

What? He's terrible. Evertime Barca play he gets away with terrible mistakes. For McManamans goal he was almost lying down when he shot! He came out when Raul shot early and was lucky to save it and if you listen to any commentator when Barca play they will say what a terrible goalkeeper he is! They will replace him at the end of the season no question.

Best Gaolkeeper? Toldo. Very unlucky not to be number 1 for Italy. Buffon is over-rated.

Should have saved Zidane's chip as well. Useless.

El Aguila
25-04-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Levski

Should have saved Zidane's chip as well. Useless.
Well..... I see him play week in and week out, and he's the best keeper we've had since Zubi - obviously there's more than one way to look at that (!) but he's saved Barcelona countless times this season. It is a very difficult team to keep goal for - Barcelona are lousy in defence and have been for the twelve years I've lived here - and he's done better than most. I'm not suggesting that he's better than Toldo, Buffon, César or Cañizares.

El Aguila
25-04-2002, 08:24 PM
But - did anyone see Cesar's blunder in the league match in the Camp nou? He went to pick up a weak forty yard drive from Xavi and threw it into his own net. I don't call him a bad keeper because of that (horrific) error, and don't think you can judge Bonano because a bunch of English commentators decide he's no good! He'll probably go to the World Cup and last time I checked, Argentina weren't exactly short of world class goalies.

Levski
25-04-2002, 08:30 PM
Fair enough, mate.

Top Dog
25-04-2002, 08:33 PM
Well actually I was reading the other day that the goalkeeping spot is one of Argentina's few problem areas for the World Cup.

Bonano is prone to making silly errors apparently, as I then saw against Real when he was terrible for both goals.

If I was Eriksson I would certainly urge the likes of Gerrard and Becks to have a pop from distance against the Argies.

Elephant with mouse gyp
25-04-2002, 08:34 PM
He'll probably go to the World Cup and last time I checked, Argentina weren't exactly short of world class goalies.

Unfortunately it's the one position I think they are weak in.

OOCO
25-04-2002, 08:45 PM

1. He doesn't play in Europe, unless Boca Juniors have suddenly moved :confused::eek:

Plays in Italy :rolleyes:

Not really a suprise that you think Cesar is great RealMadridEagle. Fact is Santi Canizares is 10x the keeper, being Zamora 2 years in a row. Cesar makes loads of mistakes. I honestly can't remember the last time Santi made a mistake. Cesar boched up last week. He is not even in the top 5 keepers in the Spanish league.
El Aguila, your opinion please.
Canizares will be No1. Either Iker or Molina will be second choice and Toni Pratts, who is having an excellent season, will battle for third choice with Estaban and Ricardo. I'd like to see Enzue get a chance but I think he's about 35. Molina won't go as 3rd choice, so I'd be suprised if he went.

El Aguila
25-04-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp

Unfortunately it's the one position I think they are weak in.
Roa, Cavallero, Burgos - all better than Seaman. Mind you, EMG, whilst I've nothing against Argentina and would be happy enough for them to finish runners-up, I wouldn't go so far as to wear their shirt ;) .....

El Aguila
25-04-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by OOCO

Plays in Italy :rolleyes:

Not really a suprise that you think Cesar is great RealMadridEagle. Fact is Santi Canizares is 10x the keeper, being Zamora 2 years in a row. Cesar makes loads of mistakes. I honestly can't remember the last time Santi made a mistake. Cesar boched up last week. He is not even in the top 5 keepers in the Spanish league.
El Aguila, your opinion please.
Canizares will be No1. Either Iker or Molina will be second choice and Toni Pratts, who is having an excellent season, will battle for third choice with Estaban and Ricardo. I'd like to see Enzue get a chance but I think he's about 35. Molina won't go as 3rd choice, so I'd be suprised if he went.
Toni Prats has been one of the best keepers in Spain for years but has never played for one of the big clubs, which affects your chances over here, and Unzue is too old to get called up now. Cañizares is the best by a distance (although the Zamora thing is a bit misleading - he plays behind the tightest defence in Spain) but made a famous blunder in the last European Championships and fell from favour as a consequence. Molina plays a long way off his line and is made to look silly as a consequence although I feel that his positives more than outweigh this. It'll be Cañizares and Casillas vying for a place in the team and César or Ricardo.

El Aguila
25-04-2002, 09:05 PM

Roa, Cavallero, Burgos - all better than Seaman. Mind you, EMG, whilst I've nothing against Argentina and would be happy enough for them to finish runners-up, I wouldn't go so far as to wear their shirt ;) .....
p.s. hot tip from my Argie chum is Saja, of San Lorenzo, but we both reckon the best of all is Cavallero, who plays for Celta. In reality Burgos will probably get the job.

Elephant with mouse gyp
25-04-2002, 09:05 PM
I don't mind Cavellero, but Burgos is thought of as a disaster in Argentina. Some think Bielsa is so desperate he may take 40 year old David Comizzo. The trouble with Roa is that he might go all religious on everyone again.

Because the team plays in the opponenets half as much as possible, keeper is a vital position for Argentina. I just hope they manage to sort it out.

Elephant with mouse gyp
25-04-2002, 09:06 PM

Saja, of San Lorenzo.

He's young and the next big hope, but had a bit of a nightmare against Wales.

Elephant with mouse gyp
25-04-2002, 09:14 PM

Argie chum .

Could you ask him for some phrases and chants for me to belt out at the TV during the World Cup? There's a thread about it in the World Cup section.

zonin2000
25-04-2002, 09:20 PM
Cañizares is the best by a distance but made a famous blunder in the last European Championships and fell from favour as a consequence.

Noooo... twas Molina, against Norway, and he was subsequently dropped for Canizares.

cpfcben
25-04-2002, 09:30 PM
when i have seen Ceaser he has looked sh!te
i would have to go for buffon, followed by alex kolinko a close second(eagles NO 1)

Daddy Long
25-04-2002, 09:47 PM
I've gone for Casillas because every time I have seen him play he's looked quality whereas I have seen all the others look dodgy (apart from perhaps Dudek who is second behind Casillas) Then again I don't really watch much European football so I'm not really an expert :)

Latvian Eagle
25-04-2002, 10:03 PM
As I said before I don't really get to watch much Spanish football anymore, but it seems whenever I have seen Cesar play he hasn't made a mistake. Casillas is probably the best young goalkeeper in the world and has plenty of time to develop, well 14 years max, lol. As for Oscar Cordoba I was sure he still plays for Boca Juniors? Who has he moved to? It was Molina who was dropped after a dreadful mistake at Euro 2000 to be replaced by Canizares. What I have seen of Bonano he hasn't looked good at all, but given that the scum haven't had a good gk since Zubizaretta retired he's better that the rest. As for Argentina's Goalkeeping problems, Burgos is a hazard as he showed against Cameroon, all over the place and looks like a prat. Roa is a good goalkeeper, but I think Cavellero is the best of the bunch for them. I think Canziares is a certainty for Spain, but 2nd and 3rd choice will be hard to pick. Prats I'm not sure about, Casillas I think will probably go, MOlina should probably go too, but the problem I see is that how can Camacho pick Casillas ahead of Cesar when Cesar is the clubs first choice? It doesn't really make sense. I have only seen Ricardo have one decent game and that was against Real Madrid and he kept everything out that day includin Cesar who was dropped for that the last game of the season.:veryangry

Sir.S.C Remembered
28-04-2002, 09:26 PM
MY VOTE IS:

CARLO CUDICINI

Of Chelsea

Daniel_Nash
28-04-2002, 09:36 PM

Fraid you're wrong about that one, Cordoba is on loan for the season to... err.. Perugia? or Piacenza. I always get them 2 confused. He might also be there permanently next season.