PDA

View Full Version : England's World Cup Magic Triple DVD Box Set

Benzhiyi
25-04-2002, 02:56 AM
Anyone bought this yet?

It came out on Monday (I think) and has 3 DVDs on it: Germany 1 England 5, The England Collection, and England's Dream Ticket. It retails at around 40, but WHSmith are doing a special offer on it this week at 32.99! Thhey're limited to 30000 and individually numbered - mine is 11945!

The three DVDs are all pretty decent, each of them two hours long. The first one is obvious, and England's Dream Ticket is all the action and reaction from the friendles and qualifiers in the run up to Japan and Korea. The real gem is the England collection, which is kind of like a DVD encyclopedia of Englisf football - you can click on loads of different England legends and watch a little vignette of their best England moments, complete with commentary. There's also thirty great goals and a bloopers section, and it's all put together pretty well.

As I say, if you go to Smiths it's only 33 and they are also doing a Buy 1 Get 1 Half Price offer on all DVDs and PS2 games - so I got the Die Hard With A Vengeance Box Set for a tenner! Anyway, I know I sound like I am promoting the damn thing but I'm not, just think it's great that for once Team England have put together some merchandise that's actually pretty good value!

a.stew
28-04-2002, 08:16 PM
just got it to day v.good no.14476

What?
28-04-2002, 08:21 PM
I could get my mate who works in Smiths to get me 25% off as well!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Daniel_Nash
28-04-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by What?
I could get my mate who works in Smiths to get me 25% off as well!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Not sure you can on Box Sets. I tried that when i bought the Godfather set. :(

bobmatt
02-05-2002, 12:30 PM
All DVDs are on special offer at Safeway in Oxted (presumably the same in other branches) with no VAT which makes this boxed set 29.78.

You can use your teamcard in other Safeways, Why not Oxted?

Si121
03-05-2002, 04:44 AM
Will there still be plenty left?

Twyford Bee
05-05-2002, 01:46 AM
Who does the commentary on the 5-1 game, and is it any good? (the commentary I mean, not the game).

It's 34.99 on Smith's now.

Benzhiyi
05-05-2002, 02:03 AM
The commentary is a straight port from the BBC, so John Motson and whoever else was commentating that night (am too pi*sed to remember and staying at the woman's so can't check at the mo, sorry!)!

Clubby
17-05-2002, 12:28 AM
Motty and Trevor Brooking.
I got number 18502. I love the bit after the 4th( I think) goes in when Motty goes "... and this just gets better and better..." as only he could. The man is a legend!

Twyford Bee
20-05-2002, 08:15 PM
Nice to see there's Beeb commentary on the game, all too often on these videos/DVDs you get Sportsworld's uncredited commentator who is not really up tp scratch, often you remember the famous commentary as much as the goal itself! I've never heard the BBC commentary on the 5-1 game (having been at the game! :)) so I'd like to see it again with that commentary. One bit I have heard is the 5th goal commentary with Motson screaming "could it be FIVE????" just as Heskey put it in, my mate texted me after that one went in and said that Motson had had an orgasm on national TV!

Twyford Bee
25-05-2002, 09:52 PM
Mine arrived yesterday (number 10707), I may have to return it as the 5-1 CD has about 5 scratches on it, though these do not seem to affect playback at all (should I return it anyway? Do you think I can save postage and just send that CD back?).

Wasn't that impressed by The England Collection, I would rather have had a history by tournament or era than player profiles. Also I thought the player profiles were too short (less than a minute each I think). I would say go for it if you wanted to buy Germany 1 England 5 and Dream Ticket anyway, since then the England Collection is effectively a free bonus. However, if you've already got tournament histories and such and such, this does give you a selection which you may not otherwise have (e.g. most people won't have had Graham Le Saux's Umbro Cup goal against Brazil on video or DVD before).

Geezer
26-05-2002, 12:35 AM
GO IN GER LAND!!!!!!!!!

Si121
27-05-2002, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Geezer
GO IN GER LAND!!!!!!!!!

Don't know why but I thought you meant Germany then. But I getcha now. You're lucky! :p