PDA

View Full Version : Best Player in the World?

c_block_lad
27-04-2002, 04:22 PM
Now is your chance to vote for the best player, who is it?

c_block_lad
27-04-2002, 04:33 PM
I've gone for Beckham simply because he is the best passer, Crosser and Set-Piece taker in the world.

kit82
27-04-2002, 05:22 PM
I have also gone for Beckham. He is always consistent where as most of the others only play well for certain parts of games. For example Owen will be insignificant for 70 mins of a game!

Dillenger
27-04-2002, 07:38 PM
even though he hasnt got beckhams consistency, i'd have to go for zidane.

PalaceFan in Alabama
27-04-2002, 07:46 PM
I go for Beckham just for his consistency, he means more to the team he plays for than most of those selected for this poll. He is not just a good player. but also an outstanding leader, he sets the example for all of his team mates! Having been lucky enough to see the England game in Newcastle, the only thing he did not do was to sell the programmes and drinks!

Benzhiyi
27-04-2002, 08:19 PM
er, I reckon Raul.... but he's not listed! :eek: :eek: :eek: :vader:

kolinkins
27-04-2002, 08:36 PM
i reckon viera coz not only can he pass and dribble, he has the stamina of an ox, he has a belter of a shot on him when he decides to shoot, and unlike any other player on the list, he is not selfish AND HE CAN TACKLE. he's the only one who has a part in preventing opposition goals, as well as starting the moves that lead to his teams goal. 50 million - worth every penny if you ask me

pete eagle
27-04-2002, 08:53 PM
Davids:eek: not a regular for Juve this season.

what about Rui Costa

Son of Selhurst
27-04-2002, 09:01 PM
Henry, because he has everything. I think he's amazing to watch.

Beckham needs 10 crosses to get one right, and acts like a spolit brat when he loses the ball.

zonin2000
27-04-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
what about Rui Costa

The Kirovski of Serie A, ie. lazy genius. Not the world's best.

zonin2000
27-04-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Son of Selhurst
Beckham needs 10 crosses to get one right, and acts like a spolit brat when he loses the ball.

Beckham's crosses are always dangerous, and he works like a trojan to win back possesion.

Benzhiyi
27-04-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by zonin2000

Beckham's crosses are always dangerous, and he works like a trojan to win back possesion.

Spot on Zonin. SoS, you might be correct if we were writing this thread in 1998, but since then Beckham has developed into the best midfielder England have - and it's years since he had a tantrum after losing the ball.

Gooders
27-04-2002, 10:15 PM
Thierry Henry - absolutely devastating.

RealMadridEagle
27-04-2002, 10:43 PM
Figo - Very similar to Beckham but I feel he threatens more. Added bonus that he can also play on the left and up front. Great passer, crosser, set piece taker and play maker. I just think he has the edge. And obviously look at my name too. :p I think Zidane is good too but Figo is I feel a complete player.

leekent1
27-04-2002, 10:52 PM
Hate to vote for anything Moan Utd, but it has to be Becks

a.stew
29-04-2002, 06:01 PM
henry coz he so fun to watch

Si121
29-04-2002, 06:11 PM
I've gone for Beckham due to obvious reason of his passing, crossing, freekicks, workrate, leadership and determination.
I tend to agree with Kolinkins as well though. Viera is world class. A lot of the things he does you won't notice but if you watch him closely you'll notice he never makes a mistake.

brighton_eagle
29-04-2002, 06:19 PM
Interesting. Only a couple of postings saying Zidane, yet he is ahead in the poll.

I would have to choose Zidane. Two footed. He scores with his head, his feet, he makes goals, he can turn a game. He can play anywhere on the pitch pretty much. He can tackle. He is strong and rarely muscled off the ball.

He has also won the European Championships and the World Cup, and will quite probably finally get a European Cup winners medal this season.

philaire
29-04-2002, 06:33 PM
Shock horror! Englishmen vote Englishman "best in world"!;)

Si121
29-04-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by philaire
Shock horror! Englishmen vote Englishman "best in world"!;)

Shock Horror! English Haters Fifa rate Englishman 2nd best in the world.

AddiscombeEagle
29-04-2002, 06:51 PM
Anyone who saw Euro 2000 will know that there is not a current player who can match Zidane's all round game.

I think Beckham is tops but he isn't in Zidanes league.

Jimbo ?
29-04-2002, 06:55 PM
a year or 2 ago i would have said batistuta - now i dont know but rivaldo or Craig Harrison - i want him to be added!!!

nicky
29-04-2002, 07:03 PM
Zidane is the best player of his generation.

Beckham might be as good at being a right sided midfielder as Zidane is at being a central playmaker, but central midfielders are simply inherently more important in the game.

Fat Andy
29-04-2002, 07:11 PM
Zidane - pure class.

Not sure why you've put Sid Owen and Craig Davids in there.

Elephant with mouse gyp
29-04-2002, 07:13 PM
Good point nicky. Zidane it is.

For sheer imaginative skill, though, I would go for Kanu.

Despite his recent failure in front of goal, Raul should be on the list, and Veron, at least on peformances for Argentina. He makes the best international side in the world tick.

From a Premiership angle Roy Keane, spit, should be there. For ManU, he has much more influence on games than Beckham, as does Giggs.

TD2
29-04-2002, 07:14 PM
I would say Zidane is the most over-rated player of his generation.

He can't dribble, lacks pace and has never set a game alight that I have seen.

A few other points - why is Davids up there when there is no Raul on the list??? Madness.

I also notice there are no Argentinians on there at all, yet they are probably the best team in the world - surely they must have a few decent players?!

TD2
29-04-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp

Despite his recent failure in front of goal, Raul should be on the list, and Veron, at least on peformances for Argentina. He makes the best international side in the world tick.

From a Premiership angle Roy Keane, spit, should be there. For ManU, he has much more influence on games than Beckham, as does Giggs.

Although I am in the opposite camp Zidane wise, I would have to agree that Roy Keane (bring up a greenie then spit) deserves to be there.

Si121
29-04-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by TD2

ROFL!!! Very funny!

Si121
29-04-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp

I think Viduka has more skill than Kanu.

brighton_eagle
29-04-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by TD2

A few other points - why is Davids up there when there is no Raul on the list??? Madness.

I also notice there are no Argentinians on there at all, yet they are probably the best team in the world - surely they must have a few decent players?!

Hmmm....may I venture that you didn't watch much of the last world cup, european championships or in fact, the first leg of the chapions league semi final last week, let alone the france v scotland friendly.

Eagle Kneevil
29-04-2002, 09:36 PM
I love lists like this as it's always midfielders and strikers who make it on. Nesta and Cannavaro are absolutely quality for Italy, particularly now Maldini is a bit long in the tooth. Aldair has been a figure of stability in Brazil's chop-and-change side for years. While Zanetti is as good a full-back as you can find. Chilavert is a class keeper who "leads by example" which seems to be why a lot of people are picking Beckham.

Controversially, perhaps, I think Roberto Carlos over-rated.

Eagle "you'll find me at right back" Kneevil

Elephant with mouse gyp
30-04-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Eagle Kneevil
Controversially, perhaps, I think Roberto Carlos over-rated.Kneevil

Agree with you, as do most people in Brazil, so I'm told. He has played better this season than previously, though.

Lizarazu would come top of the full-backs pops for me.

When he can really be bothered, I think Desailly is the best centreback but then I have things against current Italian defenders.

PeterH
30-04-2002, 05:17 PM
Top Dog, you not seen any player cams on Zidane. Now I thought he was diminishing until he tore the Scots apart. The World Cup will throw up a few new candidates for this honour, apparantly Viera of Italy is a tad hot

With my albeit limited knowledge I go:

Zidane
Figo (cause Portugal look nothing without him)
Beckham (ditto I suspect for England)

Si121
30-04-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
Top Dog, you not seen any player cams on Zidane. Now I thought he was diminishing until he tore the Scots apart. The World Cup will throw up a few new candidates for this honour, apparantly Viera of Italy is a tad hot

With my albeit limited knowledge I go:

Zidane
Figo (cause Portugal look nothing without him)
Beckham (ditto I suspect for England)

I think you mean Vieri.

Celestial Empire
30-04-2002, 08:29 PM
Figo is a horrible geezer and extremely over-rated.
Rivaldo has done nothing for nearly two seasons now.

But the biggest joke is : Totti, Figo, Davids ...... but no Ronaldo ??? Do me a favour !

Si121
30-04-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
Figo is a horrible geezer and extremely over-rated.
Rivaldo has done nothing for nearly two seasons now.

But the biggest joke is : Totti, Vieri, Figo, Davids ...... but no Ronaldo ??? Do me a favour !

Vieri's not up there. It's Patrick Viera. if that's what he meant. Why do people get them confued? Obivously names are close but it's a silly mistake. :p If there's a poll, Totti, Figo and Davids have to be up there for the Worlds best players cos they would all be in my top 10. Don't want all strikers. I agree with Ronaldo needing to be up there though.

Celestial Empire
30-04-2002, 09:16 PM
Viera ????
So you don't rate Roy Keane then ??

Who said that !?

Si121
30-04-2002, 10:01 PM
Viera's better than Keane.

Ruskin Old Boy
30-04-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by TD2

:D :D :D you must have been watching 'Bert' Zidane, the not-so-famous 2nd cousin, who used to play for Fisher Athletic.

PS My vote went to Zidane, even though he plays for Real M, the guy is real class:p

Boris the charltonhater
30-04-2002, 10:40 PM
Let's go through the list systemactically.

Beckham - too concerned with his off pitch image to concentrate fully on his game. Occasional thug.:clown:

Rivaldo - overated pile of poop. Eight off days for one good day.:clown:

Figo - worthy of a place in the list but to incosistent for top spot.

Davids - long hair druggie. Crap as well.:clown:

Henry - He runs, he runs, he runs, and he can shoot. Did I mention he runs?:clown:

Owen - He runs and shoots and scores but also sets up goals, can pass and cross. Not a thug.

Vieira - My eighty seven year old granmother is better than him. The most overated player ever to touch a football. Best player in the world my arse. Plus he is a thug.:clown:

Del Piero - Long haired Italian big girl's blouse. Not very good. :clown:

Totti - Another long haired Italian but one that can head and shoot, although he doesn't do much else

Zidane - Deserves to be a professional footballer but is still vastly overated. If he is worth 50million pounds then Hopkin is worth 60million.:clown:

Vieri - Very good, remember how he single handedly destroyed Ipswich ealier this season in his first full game back from injury?

Keane - Thug of a Portsmouth standard. Man U. always play better when he's not playing.:clown:

Giggs - Glad he chose Wales, cos he's an overated pile of poo as well. :clown:

Ronaldo - One of these players I always assumed would be pants but is actually pretty darn good.

So out of the above list who are able to be considered for best in the world are:

Ronaldo
Vieri
Owen
Figo

as three are notable for injuries that leaves Figo.

But may I be allowed to suggest Fiore?

brighton_eagle
30-04-2002, 10:44 PM
Oh Boris!!! Not quite all there are you..... ;)

Ruskin Old Boy
30-04-2002, 11:26 PM
Alas poor Boris :D :D :D :D

PeterH
30-04-2002, 11:50 PM
I was under the impression that Ronaldo has spent a lot of time on the treatment bench and enjoyed the Rio Carnival this year. Went strangely missing when it mattered in the last World Cup. Very talented and looks good in all those adverts, best player in the World, no chance.

Del Piero waste of space doesnt deserve a mention should have won the game in the final against France found wanting. Cost me 140.

Find some compelling evidence against Zidane.

brighton_eagle
01-05-2002, 01:44 PM
Find some compelling evidence against Zidane.

All I can think of is that he hasn't won the European Cup. That should be remedied by the middle of May.

Eagle Kneevil
01-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
:D :D :D you must have been watching 'Bert' Zidane, the not-so-famous 2nd cousin, who used to play for Fisher Athletic.

Ah, yes, best mates with George Weah's cousin..........:D

Ruskin Old Boy
01-05-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Eagle Kneevil

Ah, yes, best mates with George Weah's cousin..........:D

....drove to away matches in their Ford Sedan:D :D

PeterH
01-05-2002, 04:10 PM
George Weah's cousin, how funny a story was that. With Southampton getting involved in scams like that how have they managed to stay in the top division so long.

Si121
01-05-2002, 04:28 PM
George Weah's cousin, how funny a story was that. With Southampton getting involved in scams like that how have they managed to stay in the top division so long.

That was hilarious. How stupid were they!

Kabba's Magic Shorts
01-05-2002, 08:32 PM
And WHERE is Ade Akinbyi's name, then ?

:clown:

Celestial Empire
01-05-2002, 11:43 PM
I was under the impression that Ronaldo has spent a lot of time on the treatment bench and enjoyed the Rio Carnival this year. Went strangely missing when it mattered in the last World Cup. Very talented and looks good in all those adverts, best player in the World, no chance.

Peter, I think this might come back to haunt you.
Remember Pele doing nothing in 1966, getting kicked up in the air, then dominating 1970 ?
Brazilians are like that, when they have a really bad preparation and aren't amongst the favourites, put some money on them !!

PeterH
02-05-2002, 04:12 PM
Okay Celestial, I cannot see it. Saw some Brazilian league football recently and it was shocking. Less than 10,000 supporters at the Maracana (cap 140,000) to see two amatuer teams (Botofago top of league). Couldn't tackle without fouling, no defence, poor shooting and comical goalkeepers. Palace would have beaten either side.

I know most, if not all their players, play in Europe but Brazil are very overrated. Ronaldo will be nowhere. Put your money on Brazil but IMHO you could just as easily waste it on Spain.

Italy for me if anyone is going to upset the big two. Brazils reputation is more based on the camera crews locating the obligatory blonde cutie crying her eyes out in a Brazil top when they get knocked out. In fact a World Cup TV cliches thread ought to be started.

Si121
02-05-2002, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't say that. No-one's expecting Brazil to win it. I definately wouldn't rule them out.

TD2
02-05-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle

Hmmm....may I venture that you didn't watch much of the last world cup, european championships or in fact, the first leg of the chapions league semi final last week, let alone the france v scotland friendly.

Brighton-Eagle, while I confess I did not see the Scotland game, let me say this.

Scotland are rubbish. Moving on, I did see the first leg against Barcelona. Were you honestly impressed? Zidane was completely ineffective for the entire game, giving the ball away poorly on many occassions. Admittedly he did score, but only after he made a bad attempt at a chip, which Bonano (a real liability) managed to fumble into his own net.

As for the World Cup/European Championships, yes he was very good. He's a great player. He's just not the best player in the world and certainly not the best player of all time (as a friend of mine argued at the weekend) and overall I feel he is very over-rated.

As for Boris' rant!!! :D

If that man is not a wind-up he is a tragic case. What utter drivel.

I also agree with whoever commented on the lack of defenders in there. I would definetely add to that list at the top with three or four players who are all viable candidates:

Nesta
Zanetti
Thuram
Lizarazu

Keane should also be there. The best midfield engine in the world, and trust me I hate the man, and his club, so it takes a lot to say that.

End of rant.

brighton_eagle
02-05-2002, 09:02 PM
TD, I would agree that Zidane is certainly not one of the best players of all time. However, at the current time I can't think of many better midfeilders. I agree Keane would be up there, but great players are measured not just on ability but also on acheivements, hence my vote for Zidane.

I also agree about the lack of defenders. It's much easier, basically, to see the impact a midfielder or striker can have on a game, than a defender. I would agree about Lizarizu, who I think is one of the best attacking wide players about at the moment, as well as strong defensively.

I also feel that our own Craig Harrison deserves a mentuion at this point. ;)

Celestial Empire
02-05-2002, 11:14 PM
Okay Celestial, I cannot see it. Saw some Brazilian league football recently and it was shocking. Less than 10,000 supporters at the Maracana (cap 140,000) to see two amatuer teams (Botofago top of league). Couldn't tackle without fouling, no defence, poor shooting and comical goalkeepers. Palace would have beaten either side.

Yes, I know, (lived there for a decade in the 70's/80's), their league is disappointing, saved by the occasional cracking match, and the clubs & cartolas (CBF administrators) are bent. But we'll see about the World Cup.
Incidentally, my club was Botafogo - great club, (Mane Garrincha !), long since gone to the dogs.
The southern teams are usually best : Internacional & Gremio (Rio Grande do Sul), Palmeiras, Guarani & Corinthians (S.P.), Cruzeiro (Minas Gerais), and apparently these days Curitiba (Parana), teams from north of Rio are 3rd rate, and Rio teams aren't all that anymore (Vasco da Gama maybe, but Flamengo-the peoples choice, Fluminense-the "Chelsea" of Rio, and Botafogo have all become usually poor). And Pele's club, Santos (SP), has also had it.

PeterH
02-05-2002, 11:46 PM
It was a strange game, Botafago absolutely dominated the first half and should have been three or four up but were only ahead by two. In the second half it was almost role reversal and Sau Paulo dominated to make it 2-2.

Saw San Lorenzo beat Flamengo in the Copa Americana final, that was a good match. Considering I am moving out to Santiago in a few months I will be seeing Cola Cola quite often.

I take it you enjoyed your decade in Brazil.

Celestial Empire
03-05-2002, 11:57 PM
Yes sir, I certainly did.
:p

Celestial Empire
30-06-2002, 06:28 PM

Peter, I think this might come back to haunt you.
Remember Pele doing nothing in 1966, getting kicked up in the air, then dominating 1970 ?
Brazilians are like that, when they have a really bad preparation and aren't amongst the favourites, put some money on them !!

[1 May 2002]

Celestial Empire
30-06-2002, 06:29 PM

I know most, if not all their players, play in Europe but Brazil are very overrated. Ronaldo will be nowhere. Put your money on Brazil but IMHO you could just as easily waste it on Spain.

Italy for me if anyone is going to upset the big two. Brazils reputation is more based on the camera crews locating the obligatory blonde cutie crying her eyes out in a Brazil top when they get knocked out. In fact a World Cup TV cliches thread ought to be started.

[2 May 2002]

:rolleyes: :afro: :rolleyes:

Jaffa
30-06-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Boris
Let's go through the list systemactically.

Beckham - too concerned with his off pitch image to concentrate fully on his game. Occasional thug.:clown:

Rivaldo - overated pile of poop. Eight off days for one good day.:clown:

Figo - worthy of a place in the list but to incosistent for top spot.

Davids - long hair druggie. Crap as well.:clown:

Henry - He runs, he runs, he runs, and he can shoot. Did I mention he runs?:clown:

Owen - He runs and shoots and scores but also sets up goals, can pass and cross. Not a thug.

Vieira - My eighty seven year old granmother is better than him. The most overated player ever to touch a football. Best player in the world my arse. Plus he is a thug.:clown:

Del Piero - Long haired Italian big girl's blouse. Not very good. :clown:

Totti - Another long haired Italian but one that can head and shoot, although he doesn't do much else

Zidane - Deserves to be a professional footballer but is still vastly overated. If he is worth 50million pounds then Hopkin is worth 60million.:clown:

Vieri - Very good, remember how he single handedly destroyed Ipswich ealier this season in his first full game back from injury?

Keane - Thug of a Portsmouth standard. Man U. always play better when he's not playing.:clown:

Giggs - Glad he chose Wales, cos he's an overated pile of poo as well. :clown:

Ronaldo - One of these players I always assumed would be pants but is actually pretty darn good.

So out of the above list who are able to be considered for best in the world are:

Ronaldo
Vieri
Owen
Figo

as three are notable for injuries that leaves Figo.

But may I be allowed to suggest Fiore?

You say that you are going to get straight A`s at A-Level?

They must have made them easier...

Daniel_Nash
30-06-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa

Straight A's? Maybe, but he doesn't know much about football. I think everyone has gathered that.

Interesting to see how people voted before the World Cup, wonder what differences there will be now it has :sob: finished!

Shame Zidane didn't really have much chance to impose himself, can you still class him as one of the best in the world despite not showcasing his talents at this world cup?

Boris the charltonhater
30-06-2002, 08:03 PM

I never said anything of the sort. I just said that if I get certain marks then I could get straight As. Twazzock.

May I ask what was so odd about my post? Apart from perhaps Beckham and Zidane all the players who I listed as being clowns went home from the world cup disappointed while only Vieri out of those I claimed were good left the world cup looking pants.

Jaffa
30-06-2002, 08:53 PM
Perhaps your the fact that your post was utter tripe led me to put it down that way?

Either it was a bad piece of humour, or an even worse piece of football punditry.

You:

Stated Hopkin was better than Zidane
Stated Man U play better without Keane
Stated your gran is better than Patrick Viera

Three comments, carefully plucked to prove just what an idiot you are.

Daniel_Nash
30-06-2002, 09:21 PM

I never said anything of the sort. I just said that if I get certain marks then I could get straight As. Twazzock.

WOW??! really??

If i got full marks on all my exam papers i would get straight A's!

How insightful. Just like yours.

Si121
01-07-2002, 01:11 AM
I think Ronaldo needs to be added on this list. He might not be the best. But he'd certainly be up there.

Boris the charltonhater
01-07-2002, 02:57 PM
The Players I said were crap

Beckham
Posted by me two months ago: too concerned with his off pitch image to concentrate fully on his game. Occasional thug.:clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: Apart from a penalty against Argentina, which wasn't even the greatest of penalties he didn't set the tournamnt alight wih breathtaking world class skills. Changed his hairstyle especially for the world cup.

Rivaldo
Posted by me two months ago: overated pile of poop. Eight off days for one good day.:clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: Have to admit he didn't have many off days this tournament but no-one who goes down clutching their face after having the ball hit them on the thigh can even be considered for best player in the world

Davids
Posted by me two months ago: long hair druggie. Crap as well.:clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: if he was so great don't you think he would hav ebeen playing in the world cup instead of sitting at home watching it with his drug dealer?

Henry
Posted by me two months ago: He runs, he runs, he runs, and he can shoot. Did I mention he runs?:clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: He did a lot of running and had a few shots, but did he score? No. Was his passing any good? No. Could he tacke? No.

Vieri
Posted by me two months ago: My eighty seven year old granmother is better than him. The most overated player ever to touch a football. Best player in the world my arse. Plus he is a thug.:clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: Wow, wasn't the French midfiled impressive(!) Ever since arriving at Arsenal he has been carried by players of a better quality, Pires, Petit, Overmars, Ljungberg. If he is so wonderful why did arsenal manage to get him for only 500,000?

Del Piero
Posted by me two months ago: Long haired Italian big girl's blouse. Not very good. :clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: Another world class player who was so incredibly skillful at the tournament.

Totti
Posted by me two months ago: Another long haired Italian but one that can head and shoot, although he doesn't do much else
Thoughts after the world cup: Recieved an unlucky red card but did dive a lot. Moaned and winged. Wasn't very impressive.

Zidane
Posted by me two months ago: Deserves to be a professional footballer but is still vastly overated. If he is worth 50million pounds then Hopkin is worth 60million.:clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: The one match he played in France had their worst result. Makes you think.

Keane
Posted by me two months ago: Thug of a Portsmouth standard. Man U. always play better when he's not playing.:clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: Butt showed in England's midfield that when given a chance to play in the center with Scholes he is very effective. Ireland played better in the finals matches without Keane than they did in qualification with Keane.

Giggs
Posted by me two months ago: Glad he chose Wales, cos he's an overated pile of poo as well. :clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: Trevor Sinclair showed a lot more skill alongside players such as Beckham, Scholes and Butt than Giggs does.

The players I said were good

Ronaldo
Posted by me two months ago: One of these players I always assumed would be pants but is actually pretty darn good.
thoughts after the world cup: As I said before the tournemtn he is pretty darn good.

Vieri
Posted by me two months ago: Very good, remember how he single handedly destroyed Ipswich ealier this season in his first full game back from injury?
Thoughts after the world cup: Won the game against Ecuador on his own, unlucky against Croatia. Did miss an open goal against S. Korea but apart from that the only Italian to play well in the tournament.

Owen
Posted by me two months ago: He runs and shoots and scores but also sets up goals, can pass and cross. Not a thug.
Thoughts after the world cup: He ran, he shot, he scored, he passed and crossed the ball.

Figo
Posted by me two months ago: worthy of a place in the list but to incosistent for top spot.
Thoughts after the world cup: Was the only Portugal player to do anything constructive in the tournament even though he was injured but was anonymous against USA.

A lot has really changed after the greatest football tournament in the world.

Boris the charltonhater
01-07-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Daniel_Nash

WOW??! really??

If i got full marks on all my exam papers i would get straight A's!

How insightful. Just like yours.

You and Jaffa have both completely mis understood what I originally posted on a completely different thread. I said that to get into the university I wanted I would need BBC and then said what marks I would need to get that ie. 45% in History. I then said that if I got 70% in Maths e.t.c I would get As.

Daniel_Nash
01-07-2002, 04:11 PM

You and Jaffa have both completely mis understood what I originally posted on a completely different thread. I said that to get into the university I wanted I would need BBC and then said what marks I would need to get that ie. 45% in History. I then said that if I got 70% in Maths e.t.c I would get As.

Well i did write whatever i wrote before i had read your original post regarding the grades. I only came across the correct thread yesterday i think.

Celestial Empire
02-07-2002, 07:57 PM
Started out with "the Best Player in the World" and ended up with Bore'is Minor's 'A' levels.
:eek: :moo: :eek: :moo: :eek: :moo:

Jaffa
02-07-2002, 08:25 PM
The Players I said were crap

Beckham
Posted by me two months ago: too concerned with his off pitch image to concentrate fully on his game. Occasional thug.:clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: Apart from a penalty against Argentina, which wasn't even the greatest of penalties he didn't set the tournamnt alight wih breathtaking world class skills. Changed his hairstyle especially for the world cup.

Didnt have the bests of World Cups, but he was coming back from an injury and wasnt match fit. Still a brilliant hard working player

Rivaldo
Posted by me two months ago: overated pile of poop. Eight off days for one good day.:clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: Have to admit he didn't have many off days this tournament but no-one who goes down clutching their face after having the ball hit them on the thigh can even be considered for best player in the world

As much as I despise play acting, this doesnt mean that you arent a good player

Davids
Posted by me two months ago: long hair druggie. Crap as well.:clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: if he was so great don't you think he would hav ebeen playing in the world cup instead of sitting at home watching it with his drug dealer?

Holland werent at the World Cup therefore Davids would have struggled to play. Yes, got in trouble for nandrelone - hardly a "druggie" - he is an excellent midfielder

Henry
Posted by me two months ago: He runs, he runs, he runs, and he can shoot. Did I mention he runs?:clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: He did a lot of running and had a few shots, but did he score? No. Was his passing any good? No. Could he tacke? No.

He isnt meant to tackle, he is an attacker. France had a rubbish tournament. Henry is still up there amongst the best.

Vieri
Posted by me two months ago: My eighty seven year old granmother is better than him. The most overated player ever to touch a football. Best player in the world my arse. Plus he is a thug.:clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: Wow, wasn't the French midfiled impressive(!) Ever since arriving at Arsenal he has been carried by players of a better quality, Pires, Petit, Overmars, Ljungberg. If he is so wonderful why did arsenal manage to get him for only 500,000?

And why are Real Madrid rumoured to be prepared to pay upwards of 30m for him if he is so rubbish?

Del Piero
Posted by me two months ago: Long haired Italian big girl's blouse. Not very good. :clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: Another world class player who was so incredibly skillful at the tournament.

He wouldnt have been on my list anyway

Totti
Posted by me two months ago: Another long haired Italian but one that can head and shoot, although he doesn't do much else
Thoughts after the world cup: Recieved an unlucky red card but did dive a lot. Moaned and winged. Wasn't very impressive.

Zidane
Posted by me two months ago: Deserves to be a professional footballer but is still vastly overated. If he is worth 50million pounds then Hopkin is worth 60million.:clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: The one match he played in France had their worst result. Makes you think.

Best player in the world. Makes you think.

Keane
Posted by me two months ago: Thug of a Portsmouth standard. Man U. always play better when he's not playing.:clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: Butt showed in England's midfield that when given a chance to play in the center with Scholes he is very effective. Ireland played better in the finals matches without Keane than they did in qualification with Keane.

Giggs
Posted by me two months ago: Glad he chose Wales, cos he's an overated pile of poo as well. :clown:
Thoughts after the world cup: Trevor Sinclair showed a lot more skill alongside players such as Beckham, Scholes and Butt than Giggs does.

The players I said were good

Ronaldo
Posted by me two months ago: One of these players I always assumed would be pants but is actually pretty darn good.
thoughts after the world cup: As I said before the tournemtn he is pretty darn good.

Vieri
Posted by me two months ago: Very good, remember how he single handedly destroyed Ipswich ealier this season in his first full game back from injury?
Thoughts after the world cup: Won the game against Ecuador on his own, unlucky against Croatia. Did miss an open goal against S. Korea but apart from that the only Italian to play well in the tournament.

Owen
Posted by me two months ago: He runs and shoots and scores but also sets up goals, can pass and cross. Not a thug.
Thoughts after the world cup: He ran, he shot, he scored, he passed and crossed the ball.

Figo
Posted by me two months ago: worthy of a place in the list but to incosistent for top spot.
Thoughts after the world cup: Was the only Portugal player to do anything constructive in the tournament even though he was injured but was anonymous against USA.

A lot has really changed after the greatest football tournament in the world.

I stopped after a while because it was getting boring. One sentence could sum it up.

You are a braindead piece of sh!te who knows f!ck all about football.

Go back to hating Charlton and give amateur punditry a miss.

Si121
03-07-2002, 03:44 AM

I stopped after a while because it was getting boring. One sentence could sum it up.

You are a braindead piece of sh!te who knows f!ck all about football.

Go back to hating Charlton and give amateur punditry a miss.

Sums it up well.

Daniel_Nash
03-07-2002, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Si121

Sums it up well.

Yep, i thought it was a fair comment too.

mike
03-07-2002, 03:59 AM
Ignoring all the vitriol on this sight may I politely suggest that a half fit Ronaldo wins this debate hands down. Others that caught my eye were Hakan Sas, Rushto Recber (does he wear the war paint for league games), Rio Ferdinand (18M what a snip) and now to be honest I'm struggling, oh yes and Ronaldinhio or however you spell it.

Si121
03-07-2002, 04:17 AM
Can u believe Oliver Kahn got the Golden ball award. Yeah he did well but he also lost them the world cup with that mistake. I think Ronaldo deserved that too.

PeterH
03-07-2002, 04:20 AM

[2 May 2002]

:rolleyes: :afro: :rolleyes:

I consider myself haunted Sir. No excuses. Well done to Ronaldo winning his own personal battle with style.

Celestial Empire
03-07-2002, 07:18 PM
;)

greybot
20-06-2003, 11:24 AM
I just searched for "Beckham hair girls blouse" and this gem appeared. I think ronaldo should be added to the list though as he has had an eventful time since the last post. As for Zidane being the best PAH!! Henry wins it for me.

we_8_brighton
21-06-2003, 07:48 AM
ive voted for Zidane - where was ronaldo in that poll?

davematt
21-06-2003, 08:11 AM
Where's Raul!!!!! He is the best in the world!

JamieBcpfc
26-06-2003, 08:13 PM
Why is Owen and Davids in there
i would vote Raul but he aint listed

Sires
02-07-2003, 08:29 PM
Zidane for his occasional magic and hard work on the pitch. I see he's far ahead of the rest, Beckham has second for now though.

Icy
03-07-2003, 04:50 PM
Perhaps your the fact that your post was utter tripe led me to put it down that way?

Either it was a bad piece of humour, or an even worse piece of football punditry.

You:

Stated Hopkin was better than Zidane
Stated Man U play better without Keane
Stated your gran is better than Patrick Viera

Three comments, carefully plucked to prove just what an idiot you are.

Or that his grans worth 30M and Real Madrid will be round next week offering her a 5 year contract :rolleyes: