PDA

View Full Version : Peter Taylor Quits Brighton

arussell
29-04-2002, 03:03 PM
From This is London/The Standard ...

Peter Taylor was today expected to announce his shock departure from Brighton, just two weeks after guiding them to the Second Division title.

There was immediate speculation that he may rejoin the England setup or be a target for Wimbledon, who sacked Terry Burton last week.

Taylor, axed by Leicester early in the season, succeeded Micky Adams on the south coast and has since guided Brighton into Division One.

The ex-England Under-21 coach, who managed the senior team for one match and made David Beckham England captain for the first time, has been working at Brighton without a contract this season.

He was prepared to sign a new deal if the club had made progress on a new stadium.

But they have had problems with the local council and after talks with chairman Dick Knight, he has decided to walk away.

Despite criticism at Leicester, Taylor is well-respected in the game and is likely to find a new club before long.

The Football Association wanted him as part of England's permanent backroom team at the start of the season.

bucketbongeagle
29-04-2002, 03:09 PM
Rumours/gossip/endless speculation please, preferably ones that start

'I have it on good authority that Francis is about to be replaced .....' etc

Top Dog
29-04-2002, 03:10 PM
I doubt he'll go to Wimbledon, rather than us. So therefore if he does leave, decides not to become part of the England set-up and we do want him, then I expect he'll come....

Spikemeister
29-04-2002, 03:13 PM
My Brighton contact tells me he is Palace bound.
I'll check the source.

bucketbongeagle
29-04-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Spikemeister
My Brighton contact tells me he is Palace bound.
I'll check the source.

That's the spirit.....

Riccardo
29-04-2002, 03:15 PM
Hello guys. Don't know if you heard about Mr Jordan's forum recently, and what he said about Taylor....have a read of the thread.

God Bless.

Top Dog
29-04-2002, 03:20 PM
Can you save us the time and just sum up???

Daddy Long
29-04-2002, 03:22 PM
he said that he didn't rate Taylor as a No. 1, that he was a good coach but not a manager and that he wouldn't fit into our organisation.

budgie
29-04-2002, 03:24 PM
I think what Riccardo is saying was Jordan not rating him as a manager, however he did rate him as a very good coach, which I would would agree with.

I can't see it happening but if he did join us as coach, it would be a terrific signing.

Anerley Eagle
29-04-2002, 03:36 PM
Has anyone thought of Talyor becoming a coach and Francis a Director of football or something.

Merton Eagle
29-04-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Anerley Eagle
Has anyone thought of Talyor becoming a coach and Francis a Director of football or something. That's a prediction of mine. Not sure if it'll happen now though.

Daddy Long
29-04-2002, 03:38 PM
That would be the ideal situation. It would mean that Francis couldn't get his mitts on the team but that we could use his experience in transfer negotiations etc and Taylor could get on with preparing the team without tossing away a load of money on players.

TF's brain cell
29-04-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
he said that he didn't rate Taylor as a No. 1, that he was a good coach but not a manager and that he wouldn't fit into our organisation.

So I suppose Francis does fit into our organisation then does he? :rolleyes:

Daddy Long
29-04-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by TF's brain cell

Looks that way :(

dannyturner
29-04-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Riccardo
Hello guys. Don't know if you heard about Mr Jordan's forum recently, and what he said about Taylor....have a read of the thread.

God Bless.

Precisely!

When I post on certain threads I look for replies from certain other posters to steady the good ship "rumourmonger". Nice to have you on board Cap'n Riccardo.:p

I am of course the Admiral (not Rear Admiral):eek:

sydney eagle
29-04-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
he said that he didn't rate Taylor as a No. 1, that he was a good coach but not a manager and that he wouldn't fit into our organisation. but Smith/Bruce & Francis does?....nice one Simon,you plonker:rolleyes:

Dobbo
29-04-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Anerley Eagle
Has anyone thought of Talyor becoming a coach and Francis a Director of football or something.
Francis couldn't direct a fly into a pile of s***

TD2
29-04-2002, 04:48 PM
It appears the sceptics were wrong. Taylor certainly is leaving, and will announce as much in a few hours.

This from the BBC web-site:

Brighton boss Peter Taylor is poised to quit the club after guiding them into the First Division, BBC Sport Online has learned.
Taylor did not sign a contract after taking over from Micky Adams, and speculation has mounted that he could be set to move on.

He joined Brighton after being sacked by Leicester City and helped the south coast club to their second successive promotion as Division Two champions.

Taylor has been linked with a move to Crystal Palace and Wimbledon - and also a return to the England set-up, where he worked with Sven-Goran Eriksson after acting as caretaker manager.

He told BBC Sport Online: "I have got no comment to make at the moment. I've got a meeting scheduled shortly and I can't say anything until after that."

But BBC Sport Online understands Brighton are expected to release a statement on Monday confirming his departure.

Eriksson is a Taylor admirer

Brighton chairman Dick Knight had been hoping Taylor would put pen to paper on a three-year deal after his success, but has not been able to assure supporters his future lay at the club.

Taylor forged his reputation with an outstanding spell in charge of England's Under-21 team, and helped Gillingham to promotion to the First Division.

He then had an unsucessful spell at Leicester before switching to Brighton after his dismissal.

Taylor has recently been touted as a potential replacement for Trevor Francis after his struggles at Crystal Palace, while Wimbledon are also seeking a new manager after Terry Burton's sacking.

England may be another option, with Eriksson an admirer of Taylor after his work with the international set-up.

Wonder if he's heading to Palace???

seaweed hater
29-04-2002, 04:50 PM
just been informed taylors walked out on the vermin. anyone confirm? please let this mean what I truely hope it is..

Peter Taylor's red and blue army...

Alvin
29-04-2002, 04:53 PM
Yep, its on the BBC site...

brighton_eagle
A quick look at North Stand Chat and they are all saying he's gone. Apparently reported in the Evening Argus.

I'll look into it.

Steve C
Why is he anybetter than TF i think not, also his record in the tranfer market is worse than our Trev,s.

brighton_eagle
29-04-2002, 04:54 PM
http://www.thisisbrightonandhove.co.uk/brighton__hove/sport/SPORT0.html

TF's brain cell
29-04-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Dobbo

Francis couldn't direct a fly into a pile of s***

That would have to be be a Four Pooh Pooh formation then would'nt it? :p

Ruskin Old Boy
29-04-2002, 05:18 PM
There's a job going at Milton Keynes, er, sorry Wimbledon

sydney eagle
29-04-2002, 05:22 PM
Alan Smith for Brighton anyone?:D

James Simmo
29-04-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Alvin
Yep, its on the BBC site...

BUT it's not confirmed. It says he is set to quit not that he has

Cynical Eagle
29-04-2002, 05:53 PM
At last something to smile about cos the past few weeks here under TF has been bloody awful.....still lets hops SJ has a change of mind and takes Taylor...lets face it he cant be worse that TF...NO ONE CAN !!!!

Cleon
29-04-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Cynical Eagle
At last something to smile about cos the past few weeks here under TF has been bloody awful.....still lets hops SJ has a change of mind and takes Taylor...lets face it he cant be worse that TF...NO ONE CAN !!!!

Er... Alan Smith? Alan Mullary? Terry Fenwick?

Streatham man
29-04-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by TF's brain cell

Ideally, no!

Richard
29-04-2002, 07:03 PM
Peter Taylor has quit as Brighton manager.

Jimbo ?
29-04-2002, 07:04 PM
go get him simon!!!

i think he has already ruled it out though!!

John Smith
29-04-2002, 07:07 PM
Preston?

They are making an announcement at 4.00. However it has widely been tipped to be Craig Brown

Richard
29-04-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by John Smith
Preston?

They are making an announcement at 4.00. However it has widely been tipped to be Craig Brown

It is. Reuters have just announced it.

leekent1
29-04-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Richard
Peter Taylor has quit as Brighton manager.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahaha

Nice one Pete :)

Lords Eagle
29-04-2002, 07:31 PM
Sky sports is reporting Taylor has quit Brighton (www.skysports.co.uk)

OOCO
29-04-2002, 07:35 PM
His agent has denied that he's joining another club