PDA

View Full Version : Phil Mulryne

Supa Ol
30-04-2002, 04:13 PM
Apparently TF was at Carrow Road on Sunday (cosying up to Delia in the directors' area), presumably scouting players.

A Norwich fan in my office is worried that he was looking at Phil Mulryne (ex-Man U, right footed central midfielder, NI international) who is out of contract this summer. Apparently he is 'brilliant' and 'creative'. Sounds like he would be a good acquisition, although ideally we need a left footer.

kit82
30-04-2002, 04:18 PM
Why would we need a left footer!

Gray has been superb this season when given a chance, and Rubins given the chance would also be great in that position!

We need a player in the middle of the park that can ceate chances and score 10 goals a season!

El Aguila
30-04-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Supa Ol
Apparently he is 'brilliant' and 'creative'. Sounds like he would be a good acquisition, although ideally we need a left footer.
So you would rather we signed a Republic of Ireland international?

bucketbongeagle
30-04-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by kit82

He said he was right foot !you crazy fool !!

Supa Ol
30-04-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by kit82

Gray has been superb this season when given a chance, and Rubins given the chance would also be great in that position!

We need a player in the middle of the park that can ceate chances and score 10 goals a season!

Because those 2 are wide players. We need a left-footed player (sorry for any Catholic confusion!) to play centrally beside Aki in a 4-4-2.

bucketbongeagle
30-04-2002, 04:25 PM
DOH ! sorry ****kin' dopehead can't tell my @rse from my elbow half the time.

zonin2000
30-04-2002, 04:36 PM
We need a left-footed player to play centrally beside Aki in a 4-4-2.

But why? Without wanting to compare us to either team, both Man Utd and England play with two right footed central midfielders.

Igor Iconic
30-04-2002, 04:41 PM
This is the same Phil Mulryne that plays for Norwich who are currently playing in the play-offs and are a far more attractive footballing outfit than Palace, who are currently staring at short term moribundity? I think he will go to a Premiership side if he isn't already at one by the end of the season.

Supa Ol
30-04-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by zonin2000

But why? Without wanting to compare us to either team, both Man Utd and England play with two right footed central midfielders.

Call me old fashioned but I believe in balance. OK, maybe it's not all that important, but I think a team should have left-footed players on the left and I certainly think there should be an even balance of left and right footers at the club in general. I think we have a shortage on the left.

England's lack of left footed players has caused them great problems recently, most notably at Euro 2000, and Man U look as if they are going to win nothing this year, unlike Arsenal who have a superbly balanced midfield.

Beanie
30-04-2002, 05:12 PM
I read that Mulryne and McVeigh are both out of contact and Norwich being cash strapped can't renew either. If they don't go up both of these will become available. From what I gathered Mulryne is a very good Division 1 player - but there are better. If Premiership team are looking he may not be their first choice. He could be the best available for Palace, Certainly worth a look, and as TF wouldn't even have had to buy a ticket an afternoon well spent. Who knows

Jimbo ?
30-04-2002, 05:28 PM
we could do far worse - both good players - and on frees are worth a gamble on tried and tested D1 players

Supa Ol
30-04-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Igor Iconic
This is the same Phil Mulryne that plays for Norwich who are currently playing in the play-offs and are a far more attractive footballing outfit than Palace, who are currently staring at short term moribundity? I think he will go to a Premiership side if he isn't already at one by the end of the season.

No, that must be another Mulryne at another Norwich. I'm talking about the Mulryne who plays for a team who were twice completely outclassed by Palace this season, and who barely scraped into the playoffs on goal difference because we beat Preston the week before. You know, the team in the horrible yellow and green kit who play in a one-horse town in East Anglia that any aspiring footballer would leave at the drop of a hat to play for a top Div 1 team in throbbing, vibrant London. That Norwich. Which one are you talking about?

Raoul Duke
30-04-2002, 05:35 PM
I understand that Mulryne is outstanding at taking free kicks and corners. I've read quotes where he says that he would practice with Beckham (at Man U) for hours on end. I think I'm right in saying that he scored a hat-trick of free kicks in one of his first pre-season matches for Norwich.

dannyturner
30-04-2002, 05:36 PM
If TF has given up his Sunday afternoon when he could have watched it on the box fair play to him. This especially considering the lack of support he seems to be getting at the moment.

I got a bit lost in the left/right foot argument. Sounds like too many people trying to find a magic formula for Championship Manager.

PS If anyone has found a magic formula for Championship Manager can they let me know.:p

Stellavista
30-04-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by dannyturner

If TF has given up his Sunday afternoon when he could have watched it on the box fair play to him.

Up to a point, Lord Copper.....

You must attend matches, and know that you can't really gauge, effectively, a player's performance from watching the box.
The TV camera follows the ball, not the player, most of the time, and unless SJ had consented to fork out for a personal player-cam for TF, I don't really see any other choice but to attend, if he was genuinely scouting.
As the player mentioned would cost f*ck all - which would seem to be both sensible, and compulsory practice for all cash-strapped clubs these days - perhaps there is some interest there?

El Aguila
30-04-2002, 06:14 PM

No, that must be another Mulryne at another Norwich. I'm talking about the Mulryne who plays for a team who were twice completely outclassed by Palace this season, and who barely scraped into the playoffs on goal difference because we beat Preston the week before. You know, the team in the horrible yellow and green kit who play in a one-horse town in East Anglia that any aspiring footballer would leave at the drop of a hat to play for a top Div 1 team in throbbing, vibrant London. That Norwich. Which one are you talking about?
Beat me to it mate. I think someone's ODed on humility pills.

glaziers fan
01-05-2002, 03:21 PM

Call me old fashioned but I believe in balance. OK, maybe it's not all that important, but I think a team should have left-footed players on the left and I certainly think there should be an even balance of left and right footers at the club in general. I think we have a shortage on the left.

England's lack of left footed players has caused them great problems recently, most notably at Euro 2000, and Man U look as if they are going to win nothing this year, unlike Arsenal who have a superbly balanced midfield.

So ur not a fan of the Freedman Morrison partnership then? We obviously need to buy a left-footed striker!

Eagle Kneevil
01-05-2002, 03:27 PM

Actually that's why Mulryne does not want to renew his contract. He's quite open about wanting to go somewhere with, or near, a bit of life about the place.

hughff
06-05-2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Igor Iconic

In fact, he has specifically said that the reason he hasn't re-signed with Norwich yet is because he will be with a Prem club next season: Norwich if they go up or someone else if they don't.

Jimbo ?
06-05-2002, 08:42 PM
either way - it wont be palace he comes to