PDA

View Full Version : Ticket crisis

Levski
01-05-2002, 07:30 PM
www.fifa-tickets.com

I've been trying to use this site to grab some last minute deals. I'm off to Japan for work purposes, but it would be cool to get to a couple of games. The website said it re-opened for last minute sales at 1500 on May 1st. But it is saying 'no new applications at the moment'

I'm thinking if the tickets were all gone, the web site would say so.

Does anyone know whether England-Sweden and Ireland-Cameroon are sold out? At the moment the website wont even let me know that, as it wont let me in.

Anyone else trying this?

Levski
02-05-2002, 01:19 AM
Nightmare. Turns out the page is actually
www.fifatickets.com

Tried again at 8pm and no England-Sweden tickets left, at least that's what it said. The server appears to be jammed up. Might have to try at 3 in the morning.

PeterH
02-05-2002, 03:57 PM
Blatter may have sold them all to agencies for very lucrative kick backs if he was at all dishonest which I for one certainly dont beleive he is.

Levski
03-05-2002, 12:53 AM
The server is permanently jammed up. The system is pathetic. If you finally get through it gives you under 10 minutes to go through about 5 selection and payment stages which all take at least 3 minutes to connect! Very nearly got 3 tickets for Ireland-Cameroon last night, but the internet link was so slow that i missed out by about a minute.

:grrr:

Looked back 2 hours later and the same 3 seats I nearly bought were still there, so there was no point at all in them stopping me from buying them!! Do they want my money or not?

:veryangry

Si121
03-05-2002, 04:36 AM
It might be an idea just to turn up at the ground just before the game.

Levski
03-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Randomly turning up would be an option.

However, the website has finally agreed to let me in, and I have 3 tickets booked. I have to turn up and get them from a dispensing machine in Tokyo or Niigata. Me being me, I'm still panicking that this won't work because I typed the credit card number in wrong or something.

However, things are now looking distinctly rosier. COME ON.
Let's hope Clinton gets a run out, I'll be there in my Palace shirt!

:love:

Si121
03-05-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Levski
Randomly turning up would be an option.

However, the website has finally agreed to let me in, and I have 3 tickets booked. I have to turn up and get them from a dispensing machine in Tokyo or Niigata. Me being me, I'm still panicking that this won't work because I typed the credit card number in wrong or something.

However, things are now looking distinctly rosier. COME ON.
Let's hope Clinton gets a run out, I'll be there in my Palace shirt!

:love:

You're a lucky shi*! Even if it is only Ireland.

Polish Prancer
03-05-2002, 04:14 PM
Are you sure there were spares for Japan because i read in the Bangkok post a couple of days ago that Japan had sold their entire allocation bar a few corporate deals for a few games
South Korea meanwhile had quite a few left and these were going on general sale.
I don't wan't to piss on your bonfire but be 100per cent certain before you lay out any extra dough
I may well be the IRE game is in S Korea if it is no probs
Good luck anyway I hope you get them

Levski
03-05-2002, 04:45 PM
Polish,

The site still says it has plenty of tickets around Japan and Korea, it is just very slow and jammed with customers. The Ireland game is in Japan. The Bangkok Post seems to have got this one wrong, as have most of the press in UK which continually gives conflicting information.

However, most of the cheapo tickets (if you can call 60 and 100 dollars cheap) have gone, leaving mostly 150 dollar seats. The China, Japan, England, Argentina, and Ireland games are the ones that have sold the most, I am told. All the England games are currently flashing orange on the website, meaning 'currently unavailable', put plenty of green 'available' for Ireland games still.

My tickets are booked, I just have to pick them up from a kiosk in Tokyo. I have to pray that the automated ticket dispenser machines in Japan work!

Clapham Grand
07-05-2002, 09:00 PM
I have been offered tickets but they are in someone else's name. The Foreign Office websites say that they will be checking passports to tickets but in speaking to people who have been to these typs of tournamenets before, the names are never checked.

Do you think I'll be OK? I'm in Korea for the S. Korea v Poland game

Levski
07-05-2002, 09:12 PM
Can't help you there, mate. I know that before France 98 there was a big ad campaign to stop people buying tickets off others, but loads of people were let in anyway. The chances of a steward being able to or bothered to read the name on the passport and the ticket is probably slim. If you are over there anyway, you've got to try it - it will be the experience of a lifetime, even Korea v Poland.

Meantime fifatickets.com says there are CURRENTLY NO TICKETS AVAILABLE for any games in Japan, although there are plenty in Korea. So much for the news reports that say no-one is going, unless Fifa are holding lots of tickets back for sales on the day, which seems unlikely.

Clapham Grand
07-05-2002, 09:19 PM
Cheers Levski - there are definitely still tickets available for games in Korea - 40 a go though

Si121
08-05-2002, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Clapham Grand
Cheers Levski - there are definitely still tickets available for games in Korea - 40 a go though

40 is well worth it.

zonin2000
08-05-2002, 04:08 AM
At France 98, I used someone else's ticket, and was worried that they might not let me in. I got to the ground and they asked for my passport, I said I didn't have it so they got their dogs to sniff me and they realised that I wasnt B. Oddie. They called for back up and they got 5 police vans out in five minutes. They shoved me in the back of one and took me to the station for a night in the cells where I was gangbanged (sp? gangbung) by lots of mustachioed french men with shaved pubes (:grrr:). They then deported me the next morning and I was detained at Dover for 3 days before being sent to live in Brighton :(.

Actually they didn't check, it was a-ok.

Levski
08-05-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Si121

40 is well worth it.

Damn right. 100 quid is well worth it. A once in a lifetime experience.

AJ1969
08-05-2002, 01:24 PM
I was never checked at euro 2000 - went to 9 games

I have been offered tickets but they are in someone else's name. The Foreign Office websites say that they will be checking passports to tickets but in speaking to people who have been to these typs of tournamenets before, the names are never checked.

Neil the Eagle
08-05-2002, 01:28 PM

Chris you'll be fine... they said this at WC98 and Euro2000, the only time we encountered a passport/ticket check was at England v Romania, even then it was only one in our party. He had a ticket the names didn't match, he just explained it was his friend's name who had bought the tickets. No problem.

You meeting up with Dom then?

Clapham Grand
08-05-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle

Chris you'll be fine... they said this at WC98 and Euro2000, the only time we encountered a passport/ticket check was at England v Romania, even then it was only one in our party. He had a ticket the names didn't match, he just explained it was his friend's name who had bought the tickets. No problem.

You meeting up with Dom then?

Hi Neil!

Yes - it's all sorted. Flying out to Seoul on the 30 May, then an internal flight to Pusan where Dom is based. We are off to Paraguay v South Africa, S. Korea v Poland, and Brazil v Turkey - then have 3 days of no games so we can do some tourism stuff before I fly back on the 8th.

Willing to write something for PE about it if you're interested!

Si121
08-05-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Levski

Damn right. 100 quid is well worth it. A once in a lifetime experience.

Yep. I'd definitely pay over a grand to watch England in the final.

Polish Prancer
10-05-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by zonin2000
At France 98, I used someone else's ticket, and was worried that they might not let me in. I got to the ground and they asked for my passport, I said I didn't have it so they got their dogs to sniff me and they realised that I wasnt B. Oddie. They called for back up and they got 5 police vans out in five minutes. They shoved me in the back of one and took me to the station for a night in the cells where I was gangbanged (sp? gangbung) by lots of mustachioed french men with shaved pubes (:grrr:). They then deported me the next morning and I was detained at Dover for 3 days before being sent to live in Brighton :(.

Actually they didn't check, it was a-ok.

You joke about it
The police use that law when it suits them at England v Romania they were going through every ticket with a fine toothcomb for certain people others they were letting straight through.
The truth is you cannot say 100per cent either way but for the game you are going to i am sure you will be OK.

Polish Prancer
10-05-2002, 11:21 PM

yes it should be all down to money shoudn't it ???
Especially seeing as there are England fans with 4Caps in the loyalty scheme who didn't get tickets for England v Argentina because of our poor allocation of tickets and sponsors/Japanese get rich on selling tickets on the black market to people who don't bother going to the qualification games.

JohnA
12-05-2002, 01:25 AM
I got scalped tickets at USA 94, through the Irish community in Boston.

Apparently there were a loud of scousers selling scalped tickets out there, i didn't see any though.

14-05-2002, 09:13 PM
I am going to Japan with a mate who has tickets spare for some non - England games, including germany v saudi, Croatia v Mexico, Cameroon v Saudi and Mexico V Ecuador.

If you are interested call Simon Langran on 0777 9620368

Any other Palace fans going out there please let me know on
afishleigh@mjol.co.uk

lightweight
14-05-2002, 09:32 PM
I didn't have a ticket for England v Romania in France 98 - but we bought some out there - except, if I remember correctly, they put the same name on more than one ticket - therefore it made a nonsense of checking names against passports - which I didn't see happening at all.

If they checked everyone's name against the ticket it would take forever. Also some corporate or prize tickets may not even have the persons name on them. Can't see too many problems with this.

lightweight
14-05-2002, 09:35 PM

sorry but over a grand for one game is way too much unless you're loaded. Thought the prices were a bit high for the group games. Mine would have come out at around nearly 300 for the 3 games. If you went with the packages plus spending money it worked out upwards of 5 grand for 2 weeks. Which isn't good!