PDA

View Full Version : Tim Sherwood/Oyvind Leonhardsen

Psychokiller
02-05-2002, 05:08 PM
Just heard there's a rumour going round that one of these two Spurs midfielders is to sign for us imminently (not sure if my source is 100% reliable so don't get too excited). Personally I'd welcome Sherwood, but not sure about Rigsby.

Comments please.

Cleon
02-05-2002, 05:13 PM
Can't see us paying either player's wages, to be honest. There were some rumours that Sherwood was going to sign for Wolves, so maybe, but I suspect that would have hinged on their 'anticipated' promotion.

Ho ho ho.

Georgie Boy
02-05-2002, 05:13 PM
I'd definately sign them up - both good enough to have in the squad. I think Sherwood would do good in the middle, bit of a tough character but also a good motivator I think.

Depends on the price for both of them I guess. I wouldn't have a clue what the asking price would be for each, 800,000 - 1,000,000 per head!?!?!?

arussell
02-05-2002, 05:14 PM
Rumour going round from where ?

Both past their sell by date.

Psychokiller
02-05-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by arussell
Rumour going round from where ?

Both past their sell by date.
Spurs supporting mate of mine.

He might be winding me up though.

And as for sell by dates - 650k and premiership wages for Hopkin. Nuff said???

David of Kent
02-05-2002, 05:17 PM
Don't want either thank you very little.

Flappy Chicken
02-05-2002, 05:24 PM
I think they would both be a good buy, can't be any worse that what we have now i.e. Hopkins, Rodger, Rubins (Great servant to the club, but!!).

Do it now I'm sure there is also some great freebies around as well if TF had a decent look.

BUNGLE
02-05-2002, 05:37 PM
Sherwood would be good.

markholmes1991
02-05-2002, 05:41 PM
Sherwoods a natural leader although a bit hot headed at times. He would be a welcome addition, but at the same time you have to question how would he benefit us long term, and his wages make his signing questionable

Elephant with mouse gyp
02-05-2002, 05:45 PM
So going by the responses so far, what peoiple expect are young players on poverty wages who are nevertheless good enough to play for a top Premiership side.

Both Sherwood and Leonhardsen are better than any of our current midfielders.

Santos
02-05-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
So going by the responses so far, what peoiple expect are young players on poverty wages who are nevertheless good enough to play for a top Premiership side.

Both Sherwood and Leonhardsen are better than any of our current midfielders.

Agree with this 100%, both quality players - who have played for top clubs. Are certainly better than every midfielder on our books. No doubt everyone will now tell me that Julian gray is better than both of them - but i don't agree.

Psychokiller
02-05-2002, 05:57 PM
As I stated, this is from a source that I'm not sure is reliable so please don't be too f*cked off with me if it turns out to be a load of bollix

arussell
02-05-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller

I agree with that - but I think the two Spurs players fall into the same category.

Steve in Phoenix
02-05-2002, 06:35 PM
Leonhardsen was recently quoted saying he would never drop into the First Division.. he would sooner just go back to Norway or abroad. He sounded pretty adamant about it which was a shame cos I'd like to get him.

Gooders
02-05-2002, 06:50 PM
I think they're both better than anything we've got and I'd welcome either.

brighton_eagle
02-05-2002, 06:58 PM
NO.

Assuming we keep Clint et al, and therefore don't have much to spend on players, we need to buy a creative midfeilder. From what I can see neither of these really fit the bill. Yes, they may be better than what we have, but focus is key here......

Streatham man
02-05-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
NO.

Assuming we keep Clint et al, and therefore don't have much to spend on players, we need to buy a creative midfeilder. From what I can see neither of these really fit the bill. Yes, they may be better than what we have, but focus is key here......

absolutely right. BE, aren't you a tad bit concerned that TF won't make the right call here (focus on finding the right creative midfielder?)

or do you have confidence that he'll do it right?

leekent1
02-05-2002, 07:02 PM
I like both Sherwood and Leonhardsen.
Sherwood to replace Rodger?

TD2
02-05-2002, 07:07 PM
Yeah, but I think we need two midfielders. One creative, one to boss a game.

I don't think we need any more defenders (once all fit) although I'd have liked Murphy as cover. We won't need any strikers if we keep Morrison and Freedman (fingers crossed) but we do need a couple of midfielders.

With Rodger released, Thompson not being good enough, and Aki off the boil, we could do with a quality general of Sherwood's Premiership ilk.

Let's not forget this man captained Blackburn to the Premiership title. Much as I'm not getting carried away with this wild rumour, I would love to see Sherwood come to Palace, it would be a great coup if the price was right (about 1.5 mil?).

As has been heavily discussed we are desperate for a creative midfielder too, but I think we need at least two new midfielders, if not three.

How about Sherwood, Goldbaek and Koumas (or similar)? That would be guaranteed promotion, and I think SJ could stretch to that.

brighton_eagle
02-05-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Streatham man

absolutely right. BE, aren't you a tad bit concerned that TF won't make the right call here (focus on finding the right creative midfielder?)

or do you have confidence that he'll do it right?

NO....no confidence at all. From my point of view, how he handles this key purchase is key to my feelings about him and his future at the club. This purchase is KEY and will determine whether or not we get promotion next season.

Daniel_Nash
02-05-2002, 07:08 PM
Don't try and get Sherwood, he is slow, hot-headed and only passes sideways and backwards. He is also 33 and almost over the hill. However, he is a leader and can put in some good touches and can score goals.

Out of the two, i'd go for Leonhardsen. He is fast, strong and will run all day for the team.

Both have been told by Spurs that they can leave and i don't think Spurs would ask for too much for them.

Boycey
02-05-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by leekent1
I like both Sherwood and Leonhardsen.
Sherwood to replace Rodger?

Can't see us buying either. Of the two Sherwood would be the better buy - perfect replacement for Rodger. How old is he though?

Elephant with mouse gyp
02-05-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Daniel_Nash
Don't try and get Sherwood, he is slow, hot-headed and only passes sideways and backwards.

Bit harsh. The thing is he has never been quick so won't suffer so much as he gets older. By only passing sideways and backwards, you mean he is concerned with keeping possession - a skill we definitely lack.

I think he'd do a good job sat in front of the defence.

Jimbo ?
02-05-2002, 08:00 PM
I think they would be just the sort of players we need - 2 top quality midfielders. hope we do get them but cant really see it myself

Daniel_Nash
02-05-2002, 08:06 PM

Bit harsh. The thing is he has never been quick so won't suffer so much as he gets older. By only passing sideways and backwards, you mean he is concerned with keeping possession - a skill we definitely lack.

I think he'd do a good job sat in front of the defence.

Keeping possession.... not really, did you see against Chelsea in the cup game, he was about to pass backwards and slipped, gift wrapped a goal for Le Saux.

I have seen Sherwood for a number of seasons at Spurs, and he has gradually gone downhill. Might be useful as almost an extra defender, but don't look to him for creative midfield play.

Elephant with mouse gyp
03-05-2002, 03:19 PM
In your happy ignorance, I don't think you realise the quality gap that exists between even woefully erratic Premiership sides like, say, Tottenham, and woefully erratic First Division sides.

If a player misplaces a pass in the Premiership, everyone notices. If someone completes a pass in our league, everyone looks to the sky to spot the pigs.

I think you're right, though, about playing Sherwood as an annoying block in front of the defence.

Lee B
03-05-2002, 03:25 PM
In your happy ignorance, I don't think you realise the quality gap that exists between even woefully erratic Premiership sides like, say, Tottenham, and woefully erratic First Division sides.

If a player misplaces a pass in the Premiership, everyone notices. If someone completes a pass in our league, everyone looks to the sky to spot the pigs.

I think you're right, though, about playing Sherwood as an annoying block in front of the defence.

Quite right, I'd love to see either of them at Palace, we've got the youngsters, we need some experience, hopefully one of these two could do the same kind of job as Paul Stewart did for us in happier times...

pete eagle
03-05-2002, 10:42 PM
Sherwood - No
Leonhardsen - Yes

cpfcben
03-05-2002, 11:54 PM
i would like to see both of them as well but i can't see either of them coming, if we consider the fact that sherwood has been almost ever present for the last 2 months i cannot see him wanting to drop down to play 1st division football

leonardsen on the other hand maybe willing as he very rarely plays for spurs

another palyer who rarely gets a look in is stephen clemence, against liverpool he looked quite a useful player

Gooders
04-05-2002, 12:12 AM
Clemence has been out injured for yonks.

They won't be letting him go anywhere (in fact, I think I heard that they are offering him a new contract).

04-05-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Psychokiller

Spurs supporting mate of mine.

He might be winding me up though.

Two wrongs don't make a right.