View Full Version : Jansen still in England frame

PalaceFan in Alabama
05-05-2002, 07:58 PM
Picked this off 'Soccernet.com'.

Jansen still in England frame
Joe Melling

Wes Brown: Back to fitness
(Allsport)

Matt Jansen will be given a make-or-break opportunity to claim an 11th hour ticket to join England's World Cup task force.

Sven Goran Eriksson will delay naming his final 23-man selection for Japan and South Korea for 48 hours so he can make a last-minute assessment of Blackburn striker Jansen, along with Manchester United's Wes Brown.

The England coach was all set to announce on Tuesday the squad which he has formulated in his mind over the past 16 months.

The FA insist Eriksson decided on a delay only because he wished to ensure that all candidates emerged unscathed from Wednesday's Premiership showdown at Old Trafford between Manchester United and Arsenal.

But it understood that Eriksson's instincts tell him that Jansen should be the one surprise inclusion in his squad, and the Swede hopes to have it confirmed that same night.

Either Eriksson or his trusted assistant, Tord Grip, will make the final judgment on Jansen at Blackburn's game against Liverpool.

The inclusion of Jansen would be a far greater shock than Bobby Robson's late decisions to go with Peter Beardsley and David Platt in the World Cups of 1986 and 1990 respectively.

Although Jansen has six Under-21 caps, he has not kicked a ball for England at senior level. He was included in the squad for the first time to prepare for last month's final friendly international against Paraguay but was forced to withdraw because of a stomach upset.

The player expressed great disappointment that his chance seemed to have been lost, but vowed not to abandon all hope until the World Cup squad was announced. Even so, his selection seemed so unlikely that he booked up his holidays in June.

Now it seems certain that on Thursday he will be forced to tell his younger brother, Joseph, that he is unable to act as an usher at his wedding on June 15 because of a more pressing engagement in Japan.

He has been blissfully unaware that Eriksson has maintained a constant monitoring of his potential for the last six months, at least.

Whereas Eriksson has been a devoted fan of United defender Brown since taking up his England appointment officially in January 2001. Jansen is quite definitely a Johnny-come-lately. The moment Brown confirmed his return to full fitness after a five-month absence through injury, his name was pencilled in immediately by the admiring Eriksson.

But with Jansen it has been very much a case of slowly but surely forcing his way into the consciousness of the coach through a string of impressive Premiership performances. Eriksson intends basing his squad selection not only on the names of the best players available but those who will provide the right balance in tournament conditions.

In the case of players expected to be on the fringe of his first-choice 11, versatility is the key. Jansen can not only perform as an out-and-out striker but also as a flank player on either side of the pitch.

The left side of midfield continues to provide Eriksson with his biggest headache. He has Kieron Dyer earmarked for the position but the livewire Newcastle player failed to impress from the left against Paraguay.

Jansen is a confident young man who suggests he would not be fazed in the least by the intense pressure of World Cup combat. Remember, he stunned Manchester United by preferring a move to Crystal Palace from Carlisle because he believed he would have more opportunities to develop his talents through first-team experience at Selhurst Park.

Since a £4million move to Blackburn, he has established himself as a big favourite at Ewood Park, scoring in the 2-1 Worthington Cup final success against Tottenham back in February.

Jansen, 24, has persuaded Eriksson and Grip that he could be their secret weapon in Japan and Korea. The final analysis will be made on the back of his effectiveness when pitted against Liverpool's formidable defence. Unless he has an absolute stinker, it looks as though Jansen will get the World Cup vote in front of West Ham's Trevor Sinclair.

The versatility of Brown, too, in being able to function either as a centre-back or emergency right-back will allow him to edge out the experienced but ageing Martin Keown.

Heartbreak is on the cards again for Phil Neville. The Manchester United player was excluded from Glenn Hoddle's plans at the last minute for World Cup 1998 and, even though brother Gary misses out through injury, Eriksson will prefer Brown as the replacement.

The precocious Joe Cole looks like clinching his place in the pack as Eriksson's wild card. The West Ham youngster, richly talented but as yet worryingly undisciplined in the more sophisticated area of team play, is viewed by Eriksson as a star of the future.

But there is no doubt that Eriksson believes Cole has the ability to perform a rescue act as a substitute if a game is going against England.
England's 23?
Goalkeepers: David Seaman, Nigel Martyn, David James

Defenders: Danny Mills, Rio Ferdinand, Gareth Southgate, Sol Campbell, Wes Brown, Wayne Bridge, Ashley Cole

Midfielders: David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes, Owen Hargreaves, Nicky Butt, Kieron Dyer, Joe Cole

Forwards: Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Emile Heskey, Teddy Sheringham, Darius Vassell, Matt Jansen

PeterH
05-05-2002, 08:04 PM
Four players with Palace connections out of 23 thats not bad. Cant see Jansen done enough, his sick note status hasn't helped.

Lets just hope McManamanmanman. doesn't get a look in. Its strange to see the Barmbys and Andertons not featured.

05-05-2002, 08:14 PM
I love Matt Jansen and wish him nothing but the best of luck.

Random*
05-05-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
Goalkeepers: David Seaman, Nigel Martyn, David James

Defenders: Danny Mills, Rio Ferdinand, Gareth Southgate, Sol Campbell, Wes Brown, Wayne Bridge, Ashley Cole

Midfielders: David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes, Owen Hargreaves, Nicky Butt, Kieron Dyer, Joe Cole

Forwards: Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Emile Heskey, Teddy Sheringham, Darius Vassell, Matt Jansen

Wow... that's a real 'next generation' England team... very exciting prospects.

I've always thought that Jansen should be given a big push into the England team - with Owen now turning into a goal poacher and opportunist as much as Shearer ever was, Jansen could be the perfect foil to him - able to fool defenders and create an opening that Heskey/Sheringham just wouldn't be able to.

The worry for me has always been the lack of a player up front that can create something for England - the recent goals have mostly come from set pieces, or break away attacks. Owen has pace, and an eye for goal like few others, but there's no forward out there that can turn a defender inside out and split the defence on their own... apart from Jansen.

Picking Jansen isn't a risk - he has a rare ability to make defenders look stupid... he'd eat the Nigerian defence for one thing.

What?
05-05-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Target Selhurst!
I hope Jansen breaks his f*c*king leg!

Get lost!

Good old matty, if it does happen it wont be a suprise anymore!

Does anyone know what time he will anounce his squad on Thursday?

Stavros 69
05-05-2002, 08:49 PM
Yeah i read this in the paper today, i was well chuffed. I hope he gets in. He's better than Vassel in my mind, Owen and Janson has a nice ring to it. :angel:

Trilby7
06-05-2002, 11:36 PM
I really admire Jansen, and wish him every success in the future. PS I am a batty boy
Thanks for the encouragement mate. Not sure we needed to know the last bit though!:D

Malakite
07-05-2002, 01:47 AM
I hope Jansen breaks his f*c*king leg!

Thats a mature thing to say about a fantastic ex palace player that loved the club mate.

07-05-2002, 02:03 AM
Jansen is a class act but it would be a shock to bring him in at least, he is completely untried at international level.

pete eagle
07-05-2002, 02:10 AM
Jansen included would make it six strikers which seems a bit ridiculous to me, but Jansen can play deeper and he'd probably only go for the experience and one sub appearance if we are through by the third game

07-05-2002, 02:15 AM
I think Jansen should go
Bobby Zamora is a Seaweed and quite frankly isn't experienced.

pete eagle
07-05-2002, 02:19 AM
Why should jansen go? What has he ever done. He's even worse than Clinton Morrison. They should voth be shot!

Bobby Zamora is a much more attractive prospect.

yeah, i'm sure that international defences would be well scared of someone who plays second division football in England

07-05-2002, 02:22 AM
I must say it is pleasant talking to you chaps!

pete eagle
07-05-2002, 02:24 AM
And they will be as scared of Clint as i am of you old man!

And were 1st division now!

maybe you did not see Ireland vs Denmark to see how many problems Clinton caused their defence.

And where have you been playing this season ?:rolleyes:

Malakite
07-05-2002, 02:24 AM
Zamora is better that Ade thats for sure!!

Stavros 69
07-05-2002, 02:25 AM
And they will be as scared of Clint as i am of you old man!

And were 1st division now! #

Yeah and u want to send someone who hasnt played one game in division 1 yet. No way else to say it Target you :

Bellend

07-05-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by pete eagle

maybe you did not see Ireland vs Denmark to see how many problems Clinton caused their defence.

And where have you been playing this season ?:rolleyes:

I dont even play football!

Denmark, they are good arnt they. You ****!

07-05-2002, 02:29 AM
I'm a bellend, I support Brighton.

Stavros 69
07-05-2002, 02:33 AM
Am i supposed to be scared Stavros?? Cant wit till next season! You are the bellend!

God no, i just think ur stupid. Its probably not ur fault its due to ur parents inbreeding. U'll see me next season. I'm the one with Stavros on the back of my shirt.

Have u learn't to read yet

STAVROS

:hmph: I wouldn't waste my time on u.

07-05-2002, 02:38 AM
I learnt at school how to count to 100, today. Did you know the alphabet has 26 letters?

Stavros 69
07-05-2002, 02:41 AM
I wouldnt wate my time on you! But if i see your name on the back of your shirt, i might get you from behind! Then we will see who the big guy is! You wont be laughing then.

Ohh No '' Mum this little boy is trying to scare me on the internet'' :sob: :sob: How will i cope :hmph:

Stavros 69
07-05-2002, 02:45 AM
I wouldnt wate my time on you! But if i see your name on the back of your shirt, i might get you from behind! Then we will see who the big guy is! You wont be laughing then.

And sorry Target i'm not interested. If you want to take a man from behind may i suggest that u go to a few bars and one day i'm sure u'll find the right guy. I dont hate u because ur gay, i just dont understand. And y arn't u man enough to let me turn around, afraid u'll fall in love with me. :hmph: :hmph: :veryangry

What?
07-05-2002, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Stavros 69

And sorry Target i'm not interested. If you want to take a man from behind may i suggest that u go to a few bars and one day i'm sure u'll find the right guy. I dont hate u because ur gay, i just dont understand. And y arn't u man enough to let me turn around, afraid u'll fall in love with me. :hmph: :hmph: :veryangry

You know youd enjoy it! There is nothing wrong ith homosexuality of course! And I should know!

Stavros 69
07-05-2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by What?

You know youd enjoy it! There is nothing wrong ith homosexuality of course! And I should know!

Humm so What? ur a man. Well it was nice talking to u. Bye bye now:rolleyes:

What?
07-05-2002, 02:55 AM
What do you mean im a man? Just cos i know a couple of Gay guys doesnt mean im a man!

Stavros 69
07-05-2002, 02:59 AM
What do you mean im a man? Just cos i know a couple of Gay guys doesnt mean im a man!

Well keep going and ur dreams will be fulfilled, it will cost a bit of money though ;)

What?
07-05-2002, 03:03 AM
Do you think i would actually WANT to be a man? If i was a man i would die younger, and only have one orgasm!

Stavros 69
07-05-2002, 03:05 AM
Do you think i would actually WANT to be a man? If i was a man i would die younger, and only have one orgasm!

Its not a bad life :D

07-05-2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Stavros 69

Its not a bad life :D

It will be when im through with you! Just so you know i would actually even consider sleeping with YOU!

eagle mart
08-05-2002, 09:47 PM

It will be when im through with you! Just so you know i would actually even consider sleeping with YOU!

There we have it, a Brighon fan openly admitting he's gay!!

JohnA
09-05-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by eagle mart

There we have it, a Brighon fan openly admitting he's gay!!

Hey we are tollerant. We all know Brighton is gay capital - so its logical that a number of their fans are gay.

JohnA
09-05-2002, 01:38 AM
According to Radio 5. Sven-Göran is at Anfield tonight watching Matt.

JohnA
09-05-2002, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by JohnA
According to Radio 5. Sven-Göran is at Anfield tonight watching Matt.

and he's scored!!

sexyrazor
09-05-2002, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by JohnA

and he's scored!!

Wish it was with me! ;)

pete eagle
09-05-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered

Denmark, they are good arnt they. You ****!

Denmark are a very good side - they will be at the world cup

09-05-2002, 03:57 AM
Yes, I'm a gay Brighton fan, so what??

There must be gay palace fans.

And Denmark are a crap team. They are going home early. There are some very bad teams in the world cup this year.

Hopefully Jansen wont go, theres still a chance he could break a leg before tommorow. Heres hoping.

Stavros 69
09-05-2002, 04:02 AM
He's hoping u grow up and get educated by tomorrow. Going going gone :hmph:

09-05-2002, 04:50 AM
What the hell is your problem Starvos?????????

You bloody homophobe!

palacenut
09-05-2002, 11:47 AM
I have just heard that Matt Jansen maybe in the England Squad for the World Cup, ''Well Done Matt'' Class Act.:p