JohnA
07-05-2002, 03:40 AM
According to Saturday's Irish Times.

What?
07-05-2002, 03:47 AM
Lets hope Clint does make it then!

LLCOOLSTEVE
07-05-2002, 03:00 PM
Mick McCarthy has left Celtic's Colin Healy and Millwall's Steven Reid out of his World Cup squad.

The two youngsters were widely tipped to make the party for Korea/Japan, but McCarthy has opted for experience ahead of the finals.

Tottenham's Gary Doherty has also been left out since recovering from a broken leg, while Southampton's Rory Delap has also been left out.

Newcastle's Andy O'Brien has been given the last central defencsive place, while Wolves' Mark Kennedy makes the trip despite being dogged by injury this season.

Roy Keane will skipper the Republic as expected, while veterans Steve Staunton and Niall Quinn will make their third appearance at the finals, with the Aston Villa man just four matches shy of becoming his country's first 100-cap player.

Blackburn's Damien Duff and Crystal Palace striker Clinton Morrison are included despite their lakc of big-match experience, while three Leeds players, Gary Kelly, Ian Harte and Robbie Keane are all included.

There are also three Sunderland players in the party, with Jason McAteer, Kevin Kilbane joining Quinn.

Shay Given will be the Republic's number one keeper with Charlton's Dean Kiely and Alan Kelly providing the cover.

Full squad:
GOASLKEEPERS: Shay Given (Newcastle), Dean Kiely (Charlton), Alan Kelly (Blackburn).

DEFENDERS: Steve Staunton (Aston Villa), Steve Finan (Fulham), Kenny Cunningham (Wimbledon), Gary Breen (Coventry), Ian Harte (Leeds), Gary Kelly (Leeds), Richard Dunne (Manchester City), Andy O'Brien (Newcastle).

MIDFIELDERS: Jason McAteer (Sunderland), Roy Keane (Manchester United), Mark Kinsella (Charlton), Matt Holland (Ipswich), Kevin Kilbane (Sunderland), Mark Kennedy (Wolves), Lee Carsley (Everton)

STRRIKERS: Robbie Keane (Leeds), Niall Quinn (Sunderland), Clinton Morrison (Crystal Palace), Damien Duff (Blackburn), David Connelly (Wimbledon).

What?
07-05-2002, 03:02 PM
Good-It! Come on Clint!

Anerley Eagle
07-05-2002, 03:04 PM
Clinton is going to the world cup Squad below.

Republic squad - goalkeepers: Shay Given (Newcastle United), Alan Kelly (Blackburn Rovers), Dean Kiely (Charlton Athletic).

Defenders: Steve Finnan (Fulham), Ian Harte (Leeds United) Gary Kelly (Leeds United), Steve Staunton (Aston Villa), Kenny Cunningham (Wimbledon), Richard Dunne (Manchester City), Gary Breen (Coventry City), Andy O'Brien (Newcastle United).

Midfielders: Roy Keane (Manchester United), Mark Kinsella (Charlton Athletic), Matt Holland (Ipswich), Kevin Kilbane (Sunderland), Mark Kennedy (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Lee Carsley (Everton), Jason McAteer (Sunderland).

Forwards: Robbie Keane (Leeds United), Damien Duff (Blackburn Rovers), Niall Quinn (Sunderland), Clinton Morrison (Crystal Palace), David Connolly (Wimbledon).

Cleon
07-05-2002, 03:05 PM
Good luck Clinton... I can see the Republic having a better World Cup than England.

a.stew
07-05-2002, 03:13 PM
go on the clinton hav a good world cup :)

TD2
07-05-2002, 03:19 PM
Well done son - knock a few in against the Krauts and do us all proud!

sydney eagle
07-05-2002, 03:53 PM
Congratulations Clinton...well done:p

dannyturner
07-05-2002, 04:13 PM
Superb effort Clint. Head down and mouth shut for the summer. Especially well done seeing as only four strikers are going, and the Womble has been left out.

N Herts Eagle
07-05-2002, 04:33 PM
Well Done to Clinton for being named in the Irish World Cup Squad announced by Mick McCarthy today. I believe the first Palace player to be selected for a World Cup squad whilst playing for the club.

Ruskin Old Boy
07-05-2002, 07:36 PM
Congratulations Clinton!!

From the Palace web site:

Palace striker Clinton Morrison has been selected in the Republic of Ireland squad to go to the World Cup. The Eire international is one of five forwards in Mick McCarthy's 23 man squad.

A regular in recent friendlies, Clinton has caught the eye with a number of impressive displays. He scored on his debut against Croatia and has now won five caps. Clinton will join Palace teammate Gregg Berhalter in the Far East, the U.S international was selected for his country last week.

Clinton told the Official website earlier: "It is a dream come true and I am looking to take this opportunity with both hands. I would like to thank everyone who has helped with my career and hopefully I can repay them with some good performances.

Levski
07-05-2002, 07:51 PM
Great effort, well done.
I'll be there for Ireland-Cameroon, and I will wear the Palace shirt with huge pride.

Neil the Eagle
07-05-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by N Herts Eagle
Well Done to Clinton for being named in the Irish World Cup Squad announced by Mick McCarthy today. I believe the first Palace player to be selected for a World Cup squad whilst playing for the club.

Second behind Greg Berhalter!

Daddy Long
07-05-2002, 08:01 PM
Have it Clinton.

PeterH
07-05-2002, 08:12 PM
Well the two Millwall players didnt make it then. And Mick was their manager. :p Lets have a riot.

SKATE
08-05-2002, 01:12 PM
Well done Clinton :p Do us proud!!!:love:

08-05-2002, 01:19 PM
Good luck Clint.

But don't do too well or when you come back to England it probably won't be to Palace

JohnA
08-05-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
Well the two Millwall players didnt make it then. And Mick was their manager. :p Lets have a riot.
Riot - what like Milwall?