View Full Version : Dyer and gerrard injured

braker
11-05-2002, 09:38 PM
DOUBLE SCARE FOR ENGLAND

Saturday May 11 2002

OTHER STORIES

Dyer Injury Scare In Saints Clash

FA Chief's Salute To Ferguson

England's World Cup hopes suffered a scare as two key midfielders suffered injuries on the final day of the Premiership season.

Newcastle's Kieron Dyer was carried off during the clash at Southampton.

A crude knee-high lunge by Tahar El Khalej - which earned the Southampton man a red card - brought a speedy run from Dyer to an end and left the midfielder sprawled on the turf.

Dyer had two minutes' treatment on the pitch before being stretchered off and taken straight down the tunnel.

At Anfield, Steven Gerrard was taken off midway through the first half of Liverpool's game against Ipswich.

The midfielder walked from the pitch after suffering a slight groin strain.

football 365

That'dbe half my first choice midfield out! anyone else worried?

hellsbells
11-05-2002, 09:42 PM
Gerrard is fine, felt a pull in his groin but is OK according to Houllier. Was suited and booted in time to do a lap of honour at the end of their game. Dyer is not as bad as first thought, something with his left leg, not sure what. Was not taken to hospital and is being treated by the club physio currently.

braker
11-05-2002, 09:45 PM
Does that mean they'll be ok for WC?

hellsbells
11-05-2002, 09:46 PM
Latest on Dyer - damaged left knee, feeling 'distressed' and Bobby Robson can say no more. FA want him to be examined by their medical team. Gerrard will be fine for World Cup, Bobby doesn't yet know about Dyer.

Jimbo ?
13-05-2002, 12:23 AM
I heard that gerard is almost certain to miss the WC

This is awful news and i think this will be more important than neville dyer carragher.....

PeterH
13-05-2002, 12:40 AM
I think Sven should have planned without Gerrard months back. The player is a liability injury wise and I would have been surprised if he had lasted the first match. How many full games has he played for Liverpool this season?

So Murphy replaces him, who replaces Dyer and who gives that Southampton tw@t a slap.

cpfc_connection
13-05-2002, 12:42 AM
who knows matt jansen could still be on his way to japan and korea :)

Elephant with mouse gyp
13-05-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
I think Sven should have planned without Gerrard months back. The player is a liability injury wise and I would have been surprised if he had lasted the first match. How many full games has he played for Liverpool this season?

Excellent point and another reason why I think Michael Carrick should have got a place in the squad, maybe Frank Lampard, too. Given Dyer's injury, surely Sven should now swallow his pride and call on MacManaman?

Daddy Long
13-05-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp

Excellent point and another reason why I think Michael Carrick should have got a place in the squad, maybe Frank Lampard, too. Given Dyer's injury, surely Sven should now swallow his pride and call on MacManaman?

Carrick is almost as injury prone as Gerrard :)

Saw in the paper this morning that Sinclair has been put on standby, Murphy called into the squad, and any further additions will be taken from the U21 squad. So we could see Carrick or Dunn put on standby. Seems to rule out any possiblity of Jansen though which is a shame.

brighton_eagle
13-05-2002, 01:46 PM
Dyer....no real biggie. He hasn't impressed yet in an England shirt, and was always a likely injury. Anyway, Sven will play Heskey out on the left.

Gerrard....we will miss him much more. No real replacement, but again, there should be as he is a real injury worry too. May be the chance for the young Bayern player...whatshisname, to impress there.

sydney eagle
13-05-2002, 01:51 PM
Although i'm gutted at the injuries to Dyer/Gerrard I'm quite happy Danny Murphy has now moved into the squad,I think he is the kind of "bulldog" midfielder we need,someone who will get in there and win lots of tackles and do all the hard thankless jobs.He also scores alot of goals which is always welcome too:)

Baloo
13-05-2002, 06:08 PM
I've always seen Murphy as an attacking midfielder, not one to "get stuck in" and sit in front of the defence a la Gerrard. If Nicky Butt doesn't recover, we won't have anyone who can fulfil that roll.

Time for Jolly to make his overdue International debut....? ;)

AJ
13-05-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by sydney eagle
Although i'm gutted at the injuries to Dyer/Gerrard I'm quite happy Danny Murphy has now moved into the squad,I think he is the kind of "bulldog" midfielder we need,someone who will get in there and win lots of tackles and do all the hard thankless jobs.He also scores alot of goals which is always welcome too:)

I agree, I think Murphy could be quite an asset. In all the games, I have seen him play, he has impressed me.
I cannot believe Sinclair is being considered. I do not rate him at at. Lets hope Gerrard recovers.

Daddy Long
13-05-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Baloo
I've always seen Murphy as an attacking midfielder, not one to "get stuck in" and sit in front of the defence a la Gerrard. If Nicky Butt doesn't recover, we won't have anyone who can fulfil that roll.

Time for Jolly to make his overdue International debut....? ;)

Hargreaves is a Butt type of player

OOCO
13-05-2002, 08:03 PM
Sinclair over Mcmanaman. Ridiculous.

I'm undecided about Murphy. I'd like to see David Dunn get a call, but I can't see Sven doing that.

Daddy Long
13-05-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by OOCO
Sinclair over Mcmanaman. Ridiculous.

I'm undecided about Murphy. I'd like to see David Dunn get a call, but I can't see Sven doing that.

He could well do depending on the fitness of Gerrard and Butt. As I said before, further call ups to the squad will come from the U21's and Carrick has been carrying a niggling injury so it could well be Dunn that gets the call. He would seem the obvious choice over Pennant, Prutton and co.

The Omen
13-05-2002, 08:16 PM
I think Mcmanaman should be in, I also think we should have considered Alan Thompson for the left midfield role. Too late now though.

Sinclair will do a good job if he is called up. Whats the chances of him pulling off one of his 'amazing' goals (which he seems to have a lot of) in the World Cup?!

AJ
13-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Interesting, that Ray Parlour and Frank Lampard are not in the running, although both players play in teams that made the FA Cup final and finished in the top 6 in the Premeirship.

The Omen
13-05-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by AJ
Interesting, that Ray Parlour and Frank Lampard are not in the running, although both players play in teams that made the FA Cup final and finished in the top 6 in the Premeirship.

But they are both players that seem to do a lot of work without getting noticed! I don't rate either of them, but I think I'm probably wrong!

LLCOOLSTEVE
13-05-2002, 10:29 PM
Barmby!!!!!!!!!!!

hellsbells
13-05-2002, 10:41 PM
Macca/Barmby/Dunn(yes purlease!!), any would be better than Sinclair in my opinion, I really don't rate him as somebody good enough to be an England player

LLCOOLSTEVE
14-05-2002, 01:53 AM
As time goes on it seems that Gerrard is worse off than Dyer which is awful news.......according to various news agencys :(

kolinkins
14-05-2002, 02:25 PM
as good as both gerrard and dyer are, and i would definatly have them in my 1st X1, this could be a blessing in disguise. they both run themselves silly, and in japan, they would be knackered after half an hour. some one like hargreves or butt, who conserve their energy well could be more beneficial to the team. i am glad sinclair is getting recognised, and i would like to see dunn go to