PDA

View Full Version : Jolly to Brighton?


braker
12-05-2002, 04:44 PM
With it looking that Sir Steve might be goin to Brighton, links are bein made that Jolly will go there too. how much would that be a kick in the teeth!

a.stew
12-05-2002, 08:39 PM
no way that wood be so bad :sob:

Si121
12-05-2002, 08:42 PM
It's a first division club. Don't think he'll do any better than that so fair play to him.

hellsbells
12-05-2002, 08:42 PM
Wouldn't really surpise me if he was going there. Link up with Stevie again, and it's closer to his part of the world (Bogner, Brighton..sort of close!). I didn't think he was too keen to carry on playing Div1 though, as he was becoming more and more tired etc. or it might have been the other way round, and he DOES want to carry on with First Division football.

2can
12-05-2002, 10:14 PM
I reckon Coppell and Rodger will both be at Wimbledon next season.

Son of Selhurst
12-05-2002, 10:16 PM
I'd like to see Rodger playing football, wherever. If Jordan ****s on him, then good luck to him wherever he goes, even Brighton.

Stavros 69
12-05-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by 2can
I reckon Coppell and Rodger will both be at Wimbledon next season.

Yeah sounds like it could happern. But they dont have too much money to spend on players. Move them to Milton Keynes and they'll be back in the premiership before long.

Jimbo ?
13-05-2002, 12:16 AM
cant see jolly or sir steve goin there!!!!
wimbledon maybe

Men At Work
13-05-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by 2can
I reckon Coppell and Rodger will both be at Wimbledon next season.

It could be interesting with the crowd continuing this season's chant of 'Koppel out'.

Chester 76
13-05-2002, 12:56 AM
On the basis Wimbledon are trying to cut their squad dramatically by not offering contracts to any players, whose contract expires this summer,I can`t see Jolly ending up at Wimbledon.

Beanie
13-05-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by braker
With it looking that Sir Steve might be goin to Brighton, links are bein made that Jolly will go there too. how much would that be a kick in the teeth!

How much - not at all in my mind. If that's best for him fine by me.

Sandowneagle
13-05-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Son of Selhurst
I'd like to see Rodger playing football, wherever. If Jordan ****s on him, then good luck to him wherever he goes, even Brighton.

I think that's unfair. When did Jordan s41t on him. He had a contract, he served it and was well paid for doing so. Trevor Francis comes in and doesn't want to renew it. Where's the problem?

piston broke
14-05-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Sandowneagle


I think that's unfair. When did Jordan s41t on him. He had a contract, he served it and was well paid for doing so. Trevor Francis comes in and doesn't want to renew it. Where's the problem?


well if we had someone better than him it would make sence but as we havent...............

Scoot
14-05-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by piston broke



well if we had someone better than him it would make sence but as we havent...............

Thomson,
Mullins,
Aki.

Sad as it is, Rodger is past it (although I'd wager him having a stormer aganist us next year !!!) I have over heard a heck of a lot of people say so this year. :(

Baloo
14-05-2002, 04:14 PM
Said it all before, but IMO Jolly performed a heck of a lot better than Thommo and Aki at the beginning of this season. Letting him go was a mistake.

Igor Iconic
14-05-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Baloo
Said it all before, but IMO Jolly performed a heck of a lot better than Thommo and Aki at the beginning of this season. Letting him go was a mistake.

In the last few weeks of the season Jolly outperformed Aki every game he got to play in.

I must admit though Aki's website is better than Jolly's.

John from Beare Green
29-05-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Baloo
Said it all before, but IMO Jolly performed a heck of a lot better than Thommo and Aki at the beginning of this season. Letting him go was a mistake.

If Thommo and Aki and Hopkin and Rodger were all out of contract, then there could be a real debate about which ones we should offer new contracts to. But only Jolly is out of contract. To lose one of the others we would have to transfer list them and it is very likely in the current climate that nobody would come in for them. So sadly Jolly has to go - hopefully to make room for a purchase, but perhaps just to cut the wage bill.

I would guess that if he hasn't found anywhere else, then Jolly will be allowed to train with the Palace squad, and who knows, Thomson and Hopkin might get injured (as they often do), and Rodger (another injury-prone player) might find himself on a week-by-week contract - so we might not have seen the last of him.

GreatGonzo
29-05-2002, 01:11 PM
Out of the 4 you mention Jolly would be the last one i would offer a contract too (assuming demands were all the same). Yes he has been a fantastic player for us and has played very well when he has played this season. However he has not played regularly - now a lot of you are implying this is because he was dropped, when really it was because he was injured. You might argue that so was Tony Popovic but we would all want to keep him, but the difference as i understand it between the 2 is that Popovic will reecover ands Rodger won't. 2 dodgy ankles and a bad back do not a footballer make.

Save the money on his wages - use that to pay a new player, maybe a youngster who we can try to make into the new Jolly. If we keep him we will be paying him to sit on a treatment table which is not only a waste of moneuy but also a waste of the club doctors time when he could be treating other players.

He has been a fantastic servant to the club and has his reward of the Testimonial on July 31st, lets just all get down there show him what his service has meant and wish him fond farewell!

Psychokiller
29-05-2002, 01:26 PM
Here is a player whose best days are behind him. Brighton would seem to be his level now.

And before anyone starts harping on about loyalty, remember that the only reason he stayed with us during administration was because no other club wanted him, otherwise his feet wouldn't have touched the ground.

29-05-2002, 01:48 PM
Lets ensure that as many Palace fans as possible give him a great send-off at his Benefit game against 'Spurs - on Wednesday, 3lst of July - K.O 8pm, thank him for his great contribution and loyalty to the Club, and wish him every success in his future professional career.

Dillenger
01-06-2002, 07:29 PM
never rated him as a player and am glad to be seeing the back of him.

if he had ever been any good another club would have come in for him when he was on a free. he hasnt ever been anything other than a very average, injury prone, extremely one-sided player.

has any club EVER put a bid in for him (other than coppell's loan move at man city) during his entire career ? no. i wonder why that is.

02-06-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Dillenger
never rated him as a player and am glad to be seeing the back of him.

if he had ever been any good another club would have come in for him when he was on a free. he hasnt ever been anything other than a very average, injury prone, extremely one-sided player.

has any club EVER put a bid in for him (other than coppell's loan move at man city) during his entire career ? no. i wonder why that is.
Don't know how you expect the current Palace players to react to such ingratitude and verbal brutality from a supporter towards a teammate on the eve of his final (testimonial )game Dillenger? After all Jolly was signed for a mere 1,000 from Bognor Regis, played over 300 League & Cup games over 12 seasons, during which he helped us win the Div 1 Championship, two other promotions via the play off finals and reach another losing play-off final, and made over 60 Premiership appearances, overcoming many serious injuries en route. He was never world-class, but provided vital stability to the team, and always gave 100%. Good luck Simon in the furtherance of your chosen profession, whereever you choose it to be! You deserve the thanks of all true Palace fans and a great turnout for your Testimonial Game v 'Spurs on Wednesday, 3lst July, 2002 KO 8pm.

Rash the Smash
02-06-2002, 07:49 PM
If ever someone was the club personified it is Jolly. Yes maybe limited in terms of skill, yes mabe a bit injury prone but none with a bigger heart or more effort. We're nor Brazil or Barcelona. We're not even Arsenal.We don't have a string of world class players queing to play for us. We have a bit of skill and, when things are good in the camp, the team spirit to be an ok team in this division. Jolly has been a big part of the last ten years or so and deserves our thanks not our misguided self deception that somehow we are above such ordinary players.

Dillenger
02-06-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by freddykurz

Don't know how you expect the current Palace players to react to such ingratitude and verbal brutality from a supporter towards a teammate on the eve of his final (testimonial )game Dillenger?

sh*t, i never thought of that.

i'm sure theyd be reduced to quivering wrecks, unable to leave their millionpound houses, sat alone in darkened rooms near silently muttering the words 'must leave palace... must leave palace...' under their breath.

when the magnitude of what i have done sinks in i will do the decent thing and detonate the plastic explosives i habitually keep under my belt next time i'm in the south bermondsey area.

Rash the Smash
02-06-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Dillenger



when the magnitude of what i have done sinks in i will do the decent thing and detonate the plastic explosives i habitually keep under my belt next time i'm in the south bermondsey area.

Why wait?:rolleyes:

PalaceFan in Alabama
02-06-2002, 09:59 PM
:sob: :sob: :sob: Poor old Jolly, never got a penny for being a somewhat average player, come on people he has never been the player we thought he was several years ago. Let him go and hope that he finds a spot on someone elses roster.
By keeping him some youngster will not get the chance to show what he has to offer, you lot sound just like my wife; will not throw things away because we may need it:grrr:

03-06-2002, 08:28 PM
.

03-06-2002, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dillenger


sh*t, i never thought of that.

i'm sure theyd be reduced to quivering wrecks, unable to leave their millionpound houses, sat alone in darkened rooms near silently muttering the words 'must leave palace... must leave palace...' under their breath.

when the magnitude of what i have done sinks in i will do the decent thing and detonate the plastic explosives i habitually keep under my belt next time i'm in the south bermondsey area. [/QUOTE

Guilty conscience Dillenger? Doth thou protesteth too much?
Look forward to seeing you making the same declaration soon under your real name in an open letter to all Palace players, to be published in the "Croydon Advertiser". Or are your brave words to be hidden for ever under a cloak of anonymity? Surely they have the right to know which Palace "supporter" thinks so highly of them?

Dillenger
06-06-2002, 11:12 PM
somehow i doubt i can be bothered to write to the advertiser about it. i just think he's a mediocre player whos been overpaid as it is. his supposed loyalty relates more to no-one ever coming in for him than any real love for the club.

if he was like le tissier, adams or brooking it'd be different. not just a better player, but one who stuck with his hometown club when he could have had big money moves throughout his career. remember he left the club after administration, only to find no takers so came back.

also i think what niall quinn did, with regards to giving his testimonial money to charity, should set a president. rodger isn't doing this (as far as i've heard). he probably hasnt earnt less than 1K a week since he was 20, and a lot more in his later years at the club.

Psychokiller
06-06-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Dillenger
somehow i doubt i can be bothered to write to the advertiser about it. i just think he's a mediocre player whos been overpaid as it is. his supposed loyalty relates more to no-one ever coming in for him than any real love for the club.

if he was like le tissier, adams or brooking it'd be different. not just a better player, but one who stuck with his hometown club when he could have had big money moves throughout his career. remember he left the club after administration, only to find no takers so came back.


My sentiments entirely. He's been at Palace for 10 years through necessity more than choice!

Rash the Smash
06-06-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller

My sentiments entirely. He's been at Palace for 10 years through necessity more than choice!

Yeah right. Lets just cheer the good players. The workhorses can f*** off.:rolleyes:
If you think like a glory hunter f*** off to ManUre. Palace isn't about that, it's about love and loyalty and appreciating one of your own.
Sure you can nit pick about how much more they earn than you, but let's face it, who's going to come and watch you play?:confused:
Its a short career, Jolly is not being offerred a new contract, will be unable to play senior football due to infirmity or age before much longer and you think it's wrong for Palace fans who want to, to be able to show their appreciation and thanks in some small way.
You should be ashamed to call yourself Palace fans. :grrr:

07-06-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Dillenger
somehow i doubt i can be bothered to write to the advertiser about it. i just think he's a mediocre player whos been overpaid as it is. his supposed loyalty relates more to no-one ever coming in for him than any real love for the club.

if he was like le tissier, adams or brooking it'd be different. not just a better player, but one who stuck with his hometown club when he could have had big money moves throughout his career. remember he left the club after administration, only to find no takers so came back.

also i think what niall quinn did, with regards to giving his testimonial money to charity, should set a president. rodger isn't doing this (as far as i've heard). he probably hasnt earnt less than 1K a week since he was 20, and a lot more in his later years at the club.

Better players like Le Tissier, Adams, Brooking and Quinn, because they were internationals and played all their careers at the top level have all been adequately(or more than adequately), compensated and throughout a 10 to 12 year career, will have received several times the weekly wages and bonuses of an average First Division player, and will probably have doubled that in sponsorship money. Every team needs a nucleus of hard working, consistent players like Jolly, and most Palace fans appreciate this. Quinn is probably on about 2million per annum, and can probably afford the kind of magnanimous gesture he recently made, which I applaud (although it could also have had something to do with the Inland Revenue!). Players like Rodger will probably make 250,000 pa in their good years, have to buy into a pension scheme and find a new career, when they drop out of the game. The two categories of player simply cannot be compared.

ozeagle
07-06-2002, 12:56 PM
if sir steve goes to bwighton, we use the 'stand up, if you love coppell chant'....

:p

ukjay_29
09-06-2002, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Rash the Smash


Yeah right. Lets just cheer the good players. The workhorses can f*** off.:rolleyes:
If you think like a glory hunter f*** off to ManUre. Palace isn't about that, it's about love and loyalty and appreciating one of your own.
Sure you can nit pick about how much more they earn than you, but let's face it, who's going to come and watch you play?:confused:
Its a short career, Jolly is not being offerred a new contract, will be unable to play senior football due to infirmity or age before much longer and you think it's wrong for Palace fans who want to, to be able to show their appreciation and thanks in some small way.
You should be ashamed to call yourself Palace fans. :grrr:

Well said Rash, I'll second that :p

Psychokiller
09-06-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Rash the Smash


Yeah right. Lets just cheer the good players. The workhorses can f*** off.:rolleyes:
If you think like a glory hunter f*** off to ManUre. Palace isn't about that, it's about love and loyalty and appreciating one of your own.
Sure you can nit pick about how much more they earn than you, but let's face it, who's going to come and watch you play?:confused:
Its a short career, Jolly is not being offerred a new contract, will be unable to play senior football due to infirmity or age before much longer and you think it's wrong for Palace fans who want to, to be able to show their appreciation and thanks in some small way.
You should be ashamed to call yourself Palace fans. :grrr:

This has to be the biggest load of bollocks post I've ever read on this BBS!

You're talking about loyalty right? Well, as I stated before, Rodger was NOT loyal to Palace. During admin he stayed out of NECESSITY because NO OTHER CLUB WANTED HIM.

Where's the sense of offering a new contract to someone who's at best a mediocre player whose best days are behind him and is not likely to be in the manager's plans next year?

And as for your final comment, I've supported this team since the age of 4 and seen some class players and some absolute shyte. However, I've NEVER shouted abuse at one of our own during a match. Pulling the "I'm a better Palace fan than you" juvenile bullsh:t only makes you look like a c***.

Oh yeah, and where did I say there was anything wrong with going to his testimonial?

I.Flyer
09-06-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Rash the Smash


Yeah right. Lets just cheer the good players. The workhorses can f*** off.:rolleyes:
If you think like a glory hunter f*** off to ManUre. Palace isn't about that, it's about love and loyalty and appreciating one of your own.
Sure you can nit pick about how much more they earn than you, but let's face it, who's going to come and watch you play?:confused:
Its a short career, Jolly is not being offerred a new contract, will be unable to play senior football due to infirmity or age before much longer and you think it's wrong for Palace fans who want to, to be able to show their appreciation and thanks in some small way.
You should be ashamed to call yourself Palace fans. :grrr:

Although we disagree over music, I totally agree with your comments here. Well said. :p

Rash the Smash
09-06-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller


This has to be the biggest load of bollocks post I've ever read on this BBS!

You're talking about loyalty right? Well, as I stated before, Rodger was NOT loyal to Palace. During admin he stayed out of NECESSITY because NO OTHER CLUB WANTED HIM.

Where's the sense of offering a new contract to someone who's at best a mediocre player whose best days are behind him and is not likely to be in the manager's plans next year?

And as for your final comment, I've supported this team since the age of 4 and seen some class players and some absolute shyte. However, I've NEVER shouted abuse at one of our own during a match. Pulling the "I'm a better Palace fan than you" juvenile bullsh:t only makes you look like a c***.

My definition of loyalty means giving 100% every time you pull the shirt on. I don't reckon I'm the only Palace fan who recognises Jolly as someone who did just that.
I agree wholeheartedly that given his age and injury proneness a new contract would be a bad thing for the club. Hence giving him the testamonial that you somehow feel he doesn't deserve.
Your interpretation of my claiming to be a bigger Palace fan than you simply because I disagree with you is frankly ludicrous.
Quite why you then go on with the need to justify that you've never shouted abuse at one of your own is puzzling but commendable.
It's a shame you didn't restrict your damnations on the BBS as well if that is the case.

Psychokiller
09-06-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Rash the Smash


My definition of loyalty means giving 100% every time you pull the shirt on. I don't reckon I'm the only Palace fan who recognises Jolly as someone who did just that.
I agree wholeheartedly that given his age and injury proneness a new contract would be a bad thing for the club. Hence giving him the testamonial that you somehow feel he doesn't deserve.
Your interpretation of my claiming to be a bigger Palace fan than you simply because I disagree with you is frankly ludicrous.
Quite why you then go on with the need to justify that you've never shouted abuse at one of your own is puzzling but commendable.
It's a shame you didn't restrict your damnations on the BBS as well if that is the case.

Where have I said that he doesn't deserve his testimonial? All I've said is that he doesn't warrant a new contract, and basically pointed out some home truths with regard to his 'loyalty' to the club.

You saying that I should be ashamed to call myself a Palace fan just because I don't feel that a mediocre player whose best days are well and truly behind him deserves a new contract is somewhat puzzling.

Rash the Smash
09-06-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller


Where have I said that he doesn't deserve his testimonial? All I've said is that he doesn't warrant a new contract, and basically pointed out some home truths with regard to his 'loyalty' to the club.

You saying that I should be ashamed to call myself a Palace fan just because I don't feel that a mediocre player whose best days are well and truly behind him deserves a new contract is somewhat puzzling.

I'll look forward to you cheering him and wishing him all the best for the future on his big night then.

Psychokiller
09-06-2002, 07:25 PM
I always cheer Palace when they play?:confused:

PalaceFan in Alabama
09-06-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by freddykurz
Players like Rodger will probably make 250,000 pa in their good years, have to buy into a pension scheme and find a new career, when they drop out of the game.

How many of you would like to be able to earn 250,000 for a few years and have to buy your own pension plan and then find a new career?

Come on people this guy is nothing but a journeyman, there are hundreds of them dotted about the FL. How many of them get a testimonial against the likes of Spurs?
What about the young player who has only played a few years and had no chance to bank a few bob?

Somewhere down the years people have lost the plot, this guy has never been anything but an average player at best.

He should count himself lucky, there are many other players of his skill level who today are Milkman or are playing until they drop dead in the regional leagues.

Some of you seemed to have forgot the battle over the players pensions, if he has no pennies at the end of his days playing football, he has nobody to blame but himself.

My God over the 12 years he has been with the Palace we all have given him a life style way beyond anything he could or should have expected :grrr: I for one believe he would have been off like a shot if any other team came after him, and who can blame him if he did.

Just my opinion of a very average player.

Rash the Smash
09-06-2002, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
[B]



Come on people this guy is nothing but a journeyman

Somewhere down the years people have lost the plot, this guy has never been anything but an average player at best.

He should count himself lucky

My God over the 12 years he has been with the Palace we all have given him a life style way beyond anything he could or should have expected :grrr:

I take it you won't be coming then?
:rolleyes:

Crunchie
09-06-2002, 08:23 PM
Most of us can only dream of getting 250k per annum, but that doesn't warrent some of the things said about Jolly on this board.

He has been an excellent servant to this club, and rarely goes missing in a game. He has been our David Batty for the last 7-8 years in the centre of midfield.

Whilst not being a flair player, he has always done the 'simple' things in football very well indeed, is a good tackler, works his socks off for 90 minutes, and gives simple balls to people, who may have more natural flair and skill. My belief is that every team needs one of these players in their side.

Going up a couple of levels, look how much better we played and kept the ball in midfield when England had Butt in their side.

Jolly overall in his career at Palace has done his job very well, and as alot of you guys cannot see that, then I'm glad your not the coaches at our club.

I will wish him luck wherever he goes.

glaziers fan
16-06-2002, 09:07 PM
Simon Rodger has been our longest serving player of the modern era, and has never sulked, complained or failed to give 110%. He has one of the best inswinging corners that we have ever seen or are ever likely to see at Selhurst Park. Sure, he is not a fantastic talent, but he was hard-working and did his job reasonably well. I am glad he is moving on because it makes sense for him to get first-team football, and for us to not have to pay his miniscule wages. I am looking forward to the end of the defensive midfielder syndrome at Selhurst and a move towards aquiring all-round creative midfielders. However, I will be at the testimonal to cheer on 'jolly' one last time

Symon10
16-06-2002, 09:32 PM
who does jolly support?