PDA

View Full Version : World cup dream team

Hemeleagle
16-05-2002, 04:17 PM
Having won my works dream team compitition for the last 2 years this years team let me down badly and I came eigth.
we are now doing the sun's world cup dream team and i need to improve my proformance to get my credability back.
The problem is that I don't know a lot about some of the teams so what I am looking for is anyone who knows something about the lesser known players who might just be the suprise of the compitition so whist I can buy them cheep they may just earn me lots of points.

kit82
16-05-2002, 04:26 PM
Theres a young up and coming Irish striker. I think he goes by the name of morrison or something similar!!! :p :D

Daddy Long
16-05-2002, 04:28 PM
There is a young Brazilian name Kaka who is tipped to the next Pele - really, he is apparently awesome (I have Brazilian friends). They also rate Ronaldinho as potentially their top scorer above Ronaldo so he's got to be worth a punt.

Hemeleagle
16-05-2002, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the tips.

g23
16-05-2002, 04:34 PM
Well, I know a little about Sweden, and I'd say there are a couple of useful but lesser known/hyped players in their squad.

Assuming he manages to regain full fitness, I'd definitely pick Patrik Andersson at centre-half. Sweden are very strong defensively, and he's the one who makes it all happen. I'd also take one or both of Allbaeck and Ibrahimovic, who will partner Larsson up front. Ibrahimovic is very young, but frighteningly skilful and quick - he's the sort of player you see at every World Cup who suddenly breaks through from nowhere (even though he's at Ajax!) and blows everyone away. Allbaeck probably has the better chance to start though, and is very good in his own right.

Reps AJ
16-05-2002, 04:47 PM
the trick is, I guess work out who's going to qualify from each group and progress through the tournament. The longer they're playing the more points. On that basis I'd go against Sweden because I think it'll be England and the Argies qualifying (ahh, the kiss of death...)

Hemeleagle
16-05-2002, 04:54 PM
Problem being that if you look at the teams that are most likely to qualify you will find that they are the ones with the most expensive players, hence having to try and find the suprise players/team

Samo*
16-05-2002, 05:00 PM
I have choosen a quality team my friends!:p

And no clinton is not in the runnings:(

Steve in Phoenix
16-05-2002, 05:19 PM
Hmm sleeper picks.. I dont know how the Sun works but I would look at..

Clint Mathis (long shot) - USA.. old striker among a clutch of young ones.. but he's the one that scores the key goals. But USA probably wont qualify for the next round

Paulo Wanchope (long shot) - Costa Rica ... he still produces the goods on the international level. But Costa Rica almost certainly wont qualify for the next round.

Belgian players - defensive team and relatively easy group (Russia, Japan, Tunisia) should see a clean sheet or two for undervalued players. Unfortunately Emile Mpenza is not going though. I'd look at Deflandre and van Kerkhoven in defense and Mbo Mpenza/Marc Wilmots/Branko Strupar. (safe-ish bets) But without Emile and players reportedly suffering from fatigue.. Russia may well outdo them in which case I'd go for Bechastynykh (scored half of their qualifying goals), Mostovoi, Karpin.

Denmark (Tomasson Helveg Jorgensen) and Turkey (Suker) should be underrated teams that dominate their groups and be safe bets to qualify for the next.. and challenge France and Brazil in their groups. I'd definitely like to have Danish players and maybe a wildcard like Suker or Alpay.

Agustin Delgado has been doing well for Ecuador but I dont like their group (ITA, CRO, MEX) Poland are led by Emmanuel Olisadebe's goalscoring feats and Jerzy Dudek but have had some average results in friendlies and Olisadebe's poor fitness and his club side are not too happy with him.. They should qualify though and Olisadebe would be great if he carries his international goalscoring form (11 in 16?) into the tournament

Of the top teams, I think Brazil and Germany have very good routes if they qualify top of relatively easy groups.. so their players should be valuable. Im pretty optimistic about Ireland, especially if they defeat Germany and take the easier route.. I'd definitely want players like Damien Duff.

Hemeleagle
16-05-2002, 06:02 PM
good post, thanks

Samo*
16-05-2002, 06:19 PM
Nuts i just had to redo my team

LLCOOLSTEVE
16-05-2002, 07:12 PM
Magnus Hedman Sweden Goalkeeper 4.0m
Patrik Andersson Sweden Defender 4.0m
Paulo Montero Uruguay Defender 3.0m
Robert Kovac Croatia Defender 3.5m
Garcia Juanfran Spain Defender 3.5m
Juan Veron Argentina Midfielder 5.0m
Roy Keane Ireland Midfielder 5.5m
Paul Scholes England Midfielder 5.5m
Zinedine Zidane France Midfielder 7.0m
Damien Duff Ireland Striker 4.5m
Ronaldinho Brazil Striker 4.5m

Steve in Phoenix
16-05-2002, 07:25 PM
I take it you can do it online? Is it free?

Who is Juanfran - is he a regular in the Spanish team?

So much for Duff being a weapon.. costs almost as much as Veron and is a striker.. thought he might be classed as a midfielder..

Hemeleagle
16-05-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
Magnus Hedman Sweden Goalkeeper 4.0m
Paulo Montero Uruguay Defender 3.0m
Robert Kovac Croatia Defender 3.5m
Garcia Juanfran Spain Defender 3.5m
Juan Veron Argentina Midfielder 5.0m
Paul Scholes England Midfielder 5.5m
Damien Duff Ireland Striker 4.5m
Ronaldinho Brazil Striker 4.5m

Duff ........do you really think he will score that many ?

LLCOOLSTEVE
16-05-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Steve in Phoenix
I take it you can do it online? Is it free?

Who is Juanfran - is he a regular in the Spanish team?

So much for Duff being a weapon.. costs almost as much as Veron and is a striker.. thought he might be classed as a midfielder..

Haven't submitted my team....can do it online at www.Thesun.co.uk

just playing about and seeing what team i can come up with.

LLCOOLSTEVE
16-05-2002, 07:50 PM
Stipe Pletikosa Croatia Goalkeeper 4.0m
Roberto Ayala Argentina Defender 5.5m
Lucio Brazil Defender 4.0m
Thomas Helveg Denmark Defender 3.5m
Hidetoshi Nakata Japan Midfielder 3.0m
Fredrik Ljungberg Sweden Midfielder 5.0m
Claudio Caniggia Argentina Striker 3.5m
Davor Suker Croatia Striker 5.0m

Hemeleagle
16-05-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Daddy Long
There is a young Brazilian name Kaka who is tipped to the next Pele - really, he is apparently awesome (I have Brazilian friends). They also rate Ronaldinho as potentially their top scorer above Ronaldo so he's got to be worth a punt.

Not even on the list is that his first name?

zonin2000
16-05-2002, 11:21 PM
don't think that Kaka is in the squad.. not sure.

But make sure you get some Uruguyan defenders, the kings of the 0-0 draw!

Niceaction
16-05-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Hemeleagle

Duff ........do you really think he will score that many ?

I think Duff is going to be one of the stars of the world cup. He is hitting form at just the right time

Steve in Phoenix
17-05-2002, 12:39 AM
A lot of players arent on the list.. but Kaka is going yes. I did hear a Brazilian fan going on about him and Ronaldinho so they do sound like names to watch.

Its 5 to enter.. sod that :D

But I made a team anyway..

G di Vlieger BEL 3.0
D Lucio BRA 4.0
D Helveg DEN 3.5
D Montero URU 3.0
D Nesta ITA 5.5
M Zidane FRA 7.0
M Rivaldo BRA 5.5
M Foe CAM 3.0 (Lauren is also same price)
S Duff IRE 4.5
S Bechastnykh RUS 6.0
S Olisadebe POL 4.5

You can change 3 players out before the last 16 round. I think Lucio and Helveg are excellent value. Cameroonians Foe and Lauren are massively underrated at 3.0 IMO..

Son of Shacker
18-05-2002, 12:51 PM
Does anyone want to do a BBS Sun World Cup league? I am willing to run it.

No prizes unless a benefactor wants to donate a large expensive prize but you do get the freedom to join the 19%'ers if you so wish. It will also give Hemeleagle the chance to regain lost pride by only finishing 8th.

Sun rules apply and don't forget the transfer window.

Hemeleagle
18-05-2002, 01:04 PM
I'll enter mine when it's done but I haven't sorted it yet.

Son of Shacker
27-05-2002, 09:41 PM
Burgos Arg 5m
Roque Junior Bra 4m
Cannavaro Ita 5.5m
Rui Jorge Por 4.5m
Juanfran Spa 3.5m
Veron Arg 5m
Rivaldo Bra 5.5m
Nakata Jap 3m
Helguera Spa 4m
Wiltord Fra 5m