PDA

View Full Version : New World Cup rankings - CNNSI

Steve in Phoenix
16-05-2002, 05:50 PM
Might make a few of you happier than the FIFA one did :) Only teams at the World Cup in this list though..

1 -- Argentina
2 -- France
3 -- Italy
4 -- Brazil
5 -- England
6 -- Portugal
7 -- Spain
8 -- Germany
9 -- Croatia
10 -- Cameroon
11 -- Paraguay
12 -- Sweden
13(tie) -- Denmark
13(tie) -- Russia
15 -- Belgium
16 -- Ireland
17(tie) -- Nigeria
17(tie) -- Poland
19 -- Turkey
20 -- Uruguay
21 -- Japan
22 -- Mexico
23 -- Slovenia
24 -- Ecuador
25 -- United States
26 -- Senegal
27 -- South Korea
28 -- Costa Rica
39 -- South Africa
30 -- Tunisia
31 -- Saudi Arabia
32 -- China

Comments on each country and a profile here:
CNNSI's World Cup Rankings (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/world/2002/world_cup/news/power_rankings/)

Reps AJ
16-05-2002, 05:57 PM
you're right that does make me happier :) :) The rankings certainly make a lot more sense than the FIFA one!

firesign
16-05-2002, 06:06 PM
So England on the back of one fantastic performance against Germany are ranked 5th while Ireland are ranked 16th having lost only once in 20 games (to Iran) and having beaten Holland in their qualifying group and coneding only 5 goals during the campaign as well defeating the likes of USA, Russia and Denmark in friendlies. If Ireland played England tomorrow, I would put my money on Mick McCarthy's men - at the moment Ireland are a better team than England - when are you guys going to wake up!!!!!!

brighton_eagle
16-05-2002, 06:11 PM
How can Argentina be first and France second? :rolleyes:

PeterH
17-05-2002, 12:02 AM
Bookmakers odds will probably serve as the best ranking system. Somehow I reckon that Irelands odds will be larger than Englands. Says it all for me really. Oh and England played in the last World Cup and what the last four Euro Championships.

Oh yeah and we won our group.

I think Ireland could possibly be worth a place in the top ten, but higher than England and seeded for the qualification of the next Euro, be serious.

selhurstparkflyer
17-05-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by PeterH
Bookmakers odds will probably serve as the best ranking system. Somehow I reckon that Irelands odds will be larger than Englands. Says it all for me really. Oh and England played in the last World Cup and what the last four Euro Championships.

I think Ireland could possibly be worth a place in the top ten, but higher than England and seeded for the qualification of the next Euro, be serious.

Whilst, all things being equal, England would normally progress further than the Rep of Ireland, there can be no question that the Micks (much like the Swedes) are the last people we would want to meet in any competition.

firesign
17-05-2002, 12:18 AM

Indeed, most bookies are offering England at the ridiculously short odds of 10-1 while Rep of Ireland can be backed at an even more ridiculous 80-1! Of course no international ranking system could be perfect and will be subject to criticism but I stand my assertion that right at this moment Ireland are a better side than England.

You are also correct to point out that England won their group which included a very below par Germany and er.... while Ireland could only finish second in a group which included Portugal and Holland.

What's more, if things go to form at the World Cup then Ireland would seem to have a slightly easier route to the final than England - where the two could meet, and what a game that would be!

PeterH
17-05-2002, 12:39 AM
Bring it on.

To be honest, Ireland have been impressive under McCarthy and it will be interesting to see them with a bit of wind behind their sails. Great if you win the group. 80/1 whats the each way places - semis???

Watch out my current boss is watching. You seen my pics of Virginia yet SPF. :p

I think we will beat Sweden although we do like to start slowly and badly in these tournaments. :(

pete eagle
17-05-2002, 01:03 AM
Ireland are a solid unit and were very unlucky not to finish top of their group. They did well because they were physical with Portugal and Holland and did not let them play at their own pace. Ireland made them play at theirs.

However, I think that England would beat them because both teams play a similar style and England would play it better. Unfortunately England do tend to get sucked in by opposition from Europe and SOuth America and don't play their own game

Grim Reaper
20-05-2002, 01:15 AM
Bring it on.

To be honest, Ireland have been impressive under McCarthy and it will be interesting to see them with a bit of wind behind their sails. Great if you win the group. 80/1 whats the each way places - semis???

Each way tends to be the finalists in these things but you do at least get half the odds.

Don't think Eire can win the thing but 4/1 to win their group is great value. Get on at that price with Coral (amongst others)

Jimbo ?
20-05-2002, 02:36 PM
I am english through and through but
england better than portugal and spain??

and these are only WC rankings so Holand must come back in some where

england in the top 10 i agree with but i think 5th is a bit to high up

PeterH
20-05-2002, 02:52 PM
Yep 5th is a tad high, I would place the spread at 8-10. Not sure that Spain should be above us though. Portugal possibly.

Think I will pop into the bookies see if I can get the 4/1 or close. Give me a reason to support the Irish.

If you really fancy Argies or France, a half the odds bet for E/W is well worth a look.

braker
20-05-2002, 03:07 PM

wont the odds in england be distorted du to loads of money being put on them due to people betting on their team. seeing that most of england being english. dont think i explained that well. bit like steve mcmanaman being 16-1 first scorer in euro final even though he was neer going to be starting.

Boris the charltonhater
20-05-2002, 04:45 PM
Mexico, Spain, Ireland should be higher

Engalnd, Paraguay, Japan are too high.

Daniel_Nash
20-05-2002, 04:49 PM
I think it's all pretty much as expected, not too sure about Croatia being so high up though!! Don't really know much about them, except it seems the majority of the squad haven't been changed since France 98.

Not sure if Brazil should be so high up either!

PeterH
20-05-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by braker

wont the odds in england be distorted du to loads of money being put on them due to people betting on their team. seeing that most of england being english. dont think i explained that well. bit like steve mcmanaman being 16-1 first scorer in euro final even though he was neer going to be starting.

You are not wrong. Englands probably worth about 16/1 - 20/1 perhaps given our group and the fact we may have to play France in Rd 2 if we qualify. Bookies offer 10/1 which is a bit pony.

Sunny Fan
20-05-2002, 05:26 PM
Bookies will generally give England shorter odds than deserved because they know that people will bet through heart and not head a lot of the time with England.

PeterH
20-05-2002, 05:44 PM
Sunny do some work or you will be going in Saturday again. :)

anti-addick
21-05-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by firesign
So England on the back of one fantastic performance against Germany are ranked 5th while Ireland are ranked 16th having lost only once in 20 games (to Iran) and having beaten Holland in their qualifying group and coneding only 5 goals during the campaign as well defeating the likes of USA, Russia and Denmark in friendlies. If Ireland played England tomorrow, I would put my money on Mick McCarthy's men - at the moment Ireland are a better team than England - when are you guys going to wake up!!!!!!

What complete balls. That home win v Holland was incredibly lucky anyway!! This is more realistic because it's more current and reactive to form. Ireland are underated but they'll never be better long term than England, after all, half their squad consists of England castoffs ;)

firesign
21-05-2002, 03:47 PM
I can't disagree that historically England have been better than Ireland and will be probably be better at most times in the future. However, to repeat my earlier point IMHO if Ireland and England played tomorrow I would fancy Ireland to win. I think the current Irish team is better than the one which reached the Q/F in 90 and 2nd round in 94.

mark ambler
21-05-2002, 04:05 PM

Sorry is this the same Ireland that haven't qualified for a major tournament since 94?? the same Ireland that where runners up in their group? The same Ireland that have 'Stunning Steve Staunton' in their first choice back four. I'm sure Owen would sh*t his pants at being marked by Staunton.

firesign
21-05-2002, 04:13 PM
Ireland were rather unlucky in play offs for the tournaments since 94, but are presently very strong. Yes they did finish runners up in theirv tough, group. Ireland also have a better chance of progress at the finals compared to England as the draw has fallen quite kindly, for once, to Ireland.

I would add that Ireland are a team greater than the sum of their parts. England have some great individuals but only rarely seem to play as a 'team'.

I also happen to think that Owen is the best goalscorer in the world, even better than Ireland's very own Morrison :eek: so let's hope he remains fit...

anti-addick
21-05-2002, 05:37 PM
firesign, you're wearing shamrock tinted specs mate. Sure, If England played Ireland tomorrow Ireland *may* win, but if they played them ten times i'd put money on England winning at least 6, but losing a maximum 2. You know it, I know it.

Ever since Sven took control England have looked a quality team. Hanging onto desperate 1-0 leads at home, relying heavily on bad finishing and poor luck to win is not quality. Winning in a bog versus a jet lagged US team is not quality either. Ireland played out of their skins and dug out a World Cup ticket, fair play to that, but England left it late but qualified in some style.
Personally, looking at the group and the state of Germany at present then I think Eire will win it, and 4-1 are good odds, haven't seen that since Chili were 6-1 (they were robbed by Italy too) but if you were in Englands place then I fancy 4th place for you. Face the facts old bean.

hong_kong_hg
21-05-2002, 05:42 PM
sportingbet.com offer 14/1 on England.

firesign
21-05-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by anti-addick
Ever since Sven took control England have looked a quality team.

hmmm... Albania? Greece? South Korea? Yes, of course there was Germany, but one swallow does not make a summer.

England have a tough group that's for sure, but I hope they progress. In fact, I've just been to William Hill and stuck 2 (last of the big spenders, me) on an England Vs Ireland final at 200-1. If that comes up I won't care who wins :D

anti-addick
21-05-2002, 06:24 PM
Albania were convincingly beaten. South Korea, underated team playing their heart out at home versus England, creators of football, and a reserve team. I'm saying that we were understrength and it meant something to them.

Greece, a one off IMO.

firesign
21-05-2002, 06:26 PM
Okay - we'll agree to disagree. So, how about we pick another country. I reckon Poland are underrated and could spring a surprise.