PDA

View Full Version : Ireland's Chances

pete eagle
19-05-2002, 02:32 AM
Whilst i will be cheering on England this June, both sides of my family is Irish so they will be my other team that i am actively supporting at the World Cup.

So everyone - what of Ireland's chances in a group that contains Germany and Cameroon

leekent1
19-05-2002, 02:43 AM
Im a Palace fan first and foremost, so I'll be supporting the Palace players out there. Ireland and USA. I will make sure I watch their games, but Im not going too far out of my way to watch England even though Im 100% English.

CPFC_R_GREAT
19-05-2002, 03:38 AM
England are my main proirity but followed by the Ireland!

I reckon Ireland have a better chance of progression that we do, lets face it they got the Clint

Mat ov CPFC
19-05-2002, 04:00 AM
I'll be supporting Ireland just as much as the average punter in Dublin will be cheering on England.

I hope the Irish get stuffed in every game :)

firesign
19-05-2002, 04:33 AM
As I've mentioned on several threads I believe Ireland will have a good world cup - winning their group and reaching AT LEAST the quarter finals. If Ireland meet England in the final - which in theory could happen I shall of course be supporting the boys in green :) . However, as I have dual nationality I shall be getting double joy (and pain probably) from supporting England too.

exiled in Wales
19-05-2002, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Mat ov CPFC
I'll be supporting Ireland just as much as the average punter in Dublin will be cheering on England.

I used to support all the home nations - now I know they all HATE England - so I hope they get stuffed every game.

JohnA
19-05-2002, 05:34 AM

Matt - there is a crack team of tinkers on its way to tarmac your drive & seeking rented accomodation in South London. ;)

However, to reflect our diversity:
Michael Gambon will recite to you obscure Shakesperean sonnets, Philip Treacy will sort your Missus out with a new hat, Don't worry it is only costing as much as the GDP of the average European country.

Next time we'll take away your ability to wind people up (OK miracles take longer)

JohnA
19-05-2002, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by exiled in Wales

I used to support all the home nations - now I know they all HATE England - so I hope they get stuffed every game.

Many Irish people would regard themselves as a "home nation" as much as the average citizen of Lexington Massachusetts. Which probably explains their supposed "hate".

Teddy
19-05-2002, 01:59 PM
jusy want to see clint get acouple of goals and hope the Irish crash out in spectacular fashion in the first round.:D

PeterH
19-05-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by leekent1
Im a Palace fan first and foremost, so I'll be supporting the Palace players out there. Ireland and USA. I will make sure I watch their games, but Im not going too far out of my way to watch England even though Im 100% English.

Why?

JohnA
19-05-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Teddy
jusy want to see clint get acouple of goals and hope the Irish crash out in spectacular fashion in the first round.:D Maybe they can share a flight home with the English;)

Germany beat Austria by a country mile last night - they seem to be hitting form :eek:

Leekent, are you winding us up???

pete eagle
19-05-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by JohnA
Maybe they can share a flight home with the English;)

Germany beat Austria by a country mile last night - they seem to be hitting form :eek:

Leekent, are you winding us up???

Austria are worse than Scotland

cumbrian_eagles
19-05-2002, 08:45 PM
anyone know the odds of clint winning the golden boot?! ;)

Psychokiller
20-05-2002, 05:36 PM
I'll be supporting Ireland but to be honest International footy interests me so little that I couldn't care less even if the Germans won.

21-05-2002, 03:57 PM

Thanks for that pal.What a nice bloke you must be.

Dave
21-05-2002, 04:04 PM

Betraying your proud Irish lineage Mathew?

If your forefathers will be turning in their graves - shame on you

mark ambler
21-05-2002, 04:15 PM
I'll be supporting who ever plays the Irish as well. I'll be doing this because I want to, i'll be causing no trouble doing so and i'll only be doing the reverse of what every irish person (plastic or not) will be doing.

Mat ov CPFC
21-05-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Dave Campbell

Betraying your proud Irish lineage Mathew?

If your forefathers will be turning in their graves - shame on you

LOL. Given that my Irish Lineage came to a halt 3 generations ago ( I will admit to having 3 Irish Great-Grandparents as well as 1 Scottish and the other four English ) I don't see why I should feel any kinship what so ever to Ireland. Yes, I have red hair and enjoy the odd pint of Guiness but thats as far as my Green Streak goes.

But how many of you Irish fans will be cheering on England as your second team in the World Cup ?

firesign
21-05-2002, 04:20 PM
Well Mark, I shall be supporting both Ireland and England (because I'm greedy) and look forward to the teams meeting in the final. I would also be cheering on Wales, Scotland and N Ireland were they in the finals.

Dave
21-05-2002, 04:27 PM

LOL. Given that my Irish Lineage came to a halt 3 generations ago ( I will admit to having 3 Irish Great-Grandparents as well as 1 Scottish and the other four English ) I don't see why I should feel any kinship what so ever to Ireland. Yes, I have red hair and enjoy the odd pint of Guiness but thats as far as my Green Streak goes.

But how many of you Irish fans will be cheering on England as your second team in the World Cup ?

I don't see why I should feel any kinship what so ever to Ireland. Yes, I have red hair and enjoy the odd pint of Guiness but thats as far as my Green Streak goes.

Mathew your ginger 'bap' and portly appearance suggests more than a sprinkling of Irish genes.

Your surname is also a bit of a giveaway.

I could go on but I don't want to get over personal :)

Mat ov CPFC
21-05-2002, 04:29 PM
Well I aint Irish, despite looking like I have crawled out of Dublin Hospital . And Chocky looks like he is from Karachi but he will still be cheering on England. But Dave, why not answer the second part of my post.

When Ireland get knocked out in the first rounds will you then be switching your allegiance to England ? :)

Jimbo ?
21-05-2002, 04:33 PM
Ireland will make Round 2 and that is where it will end - sorry

Dave
21-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Well I aint Irish, despite looking like I have crawled out of Dublin Hospital . And Chocky looks like he is from Karachi but he will still be cheering on England. But Dave, why not answer the second part of my post.

When Ireland get knocked out in the first rounds will you then be switching your allegiance to England ? :)

When England come bottom of their group after losing to Sweden (Freddie&Henrik Dreamtime), the SuperEagles and oh yes Argentina (the favourites) will you switch allegiences to Ireland (who will stroll to the next round)?

firesign
21-05-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
Ireland will make Round 2 and that is where it will end - sorry

If Ireland win their group - as I think they will, they will face Slovenia, Denmark or Paraguay in R2 each of which I would fancy Ireland against. If Ireland finish runner up they will probably play Spain, which would definitely be a tough game.

Meanwhile, England, look likely to play France in R2.

Mat ov CPFC
21-05-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Dave Campbell

When England come bottom of their group after losing to Sweden (Freddie&Henrik Dreamtime), the SuperEagles and oh yes Argentina (the favourites) will you switch allegiences to Ireland (who will stroll to the next round)?

No.

And your good self, for the third time of asking, will you support England once the Irish are on the plane home to Irealand ( well England cos thats where they all live ;) ) ?

BTW Dave a simple yes or no will suffice.

anti-addick
21-05-2002, 05:42 PM

Agreed. Sod the Irish although I hope that Clinton scores for the sake of Palace, not Ireland. But at 4-1 I fancy a flutter on them, especially having to play against stuttering Germany.

How I laughed and cheered when SA scored their 2nd last night against Scotland. I reckon Scotland went out to Hong Kong to have their own little World Cup since they couldn't qualify for the real one. Ho ho ho! :D

skeletor_80
21-05-2002, 10:48 PM
I reckon Ireland will make the quarter finals where they are likely to face Italy and will probably lose - but you never know!

zonin2000
21-05-2002, 10:57 PM
Ireland for President!

Pat of the Palace
21-05-2002, 11:01 PM

I will.

BTW, if there's so many Englanders in the Irish team why don't you support your countrymen?

will hung
21-05-2002, 11:17 PM
i dont think ireland will qualify, the germans will do enough as always and the cameroons are the best side in africa - far better than nigeria

The Omen
21-05-2002, 11:26 PM
For some reason I don't mind Rep of Ireland (can't stand Scotland and I feel sorry for Wales).

Looks like I'll have tickets to most of their games so i'll probably go along and cheer them on against Germany... :)

JohnA
22-05-2002, 01:39 AM
I will admit to having 3 Irish Great-Grandparents

You must be very proud!