PDA

View Full Version : Premiership or World Cup?

Psychokiller
19-05-2002, 08:04 PM
Personally, International footy interests me very little. I feel that the whole charisma of the World Cup, Euro Championships etc has been taken away by all of the blatant commercial exploitation of everything (such as "Official crab powder of the England Team). Given the choice between my international side (Ireland) winning the world cup and Palace winning the premiership, I'd go for Palace every time. After all, that's who I spend the most time following. Hows about the rest of you - given the choice, would you prefer England (or your home international team) to win the World Cup or Palace to win the Premiership?

Wedgy
19-05-2002, 08:08 PM
No contest for me - gotta be Palace

hellsbells
19-05-2002, 08:19 PM
Club ever so slightly before Country, Palace to win the Premiership. And the FA Cup; and the League Cup, if possible, ta.

WorthingEagle
19-05-2002, 08:37 PM
I'd rather Palace won the EU Community Cup than England win the World Cup, but I'm still really looking forward to the World Cup for the good football and some great moments. I'll probably be more interested in Ireland if Clint gets a game.

The thing I hate about supporting England is the people it attracts, those that couldn't give a toss about football (oh, I don't really support a team, just England), slag it off the rest of the year (just 22 men kicking a ball etc.), and all of a sudden arrive in England gear ready to jump on the bandwagon.

My girlfriend bought me an England shirt though so I'm going to have to pretend I actually give a toss! :p

a.stew
19-05-2002, 09:07 PM
go on the palace :p

Jimbo ?
19-05-2002, 11:58 PM
Palace - no question - i dont know if it just me but i cant really get over excited about the WC - yes i am looking forward to it but .......thats about it

20-05-2002, 01:24 AM
i was gonna start a similar sort of poll, but i would ask PROMOTION or world cup?

anyway, in both instances, i would go for the eagles (palace, not nigeria!)

Geezer
20-05-2002, 01:34 AM
Palace, but only slighty. It would be a painful decision but Palace winnignt the Premiership would be more personal to me and it would be one over on all the chelsea tw@ts in Sutton.

Boris the charltonhater
20-05-2002, 01:23 PM
I don't give a toss about international footie really, mainly as I'm half English, half Scottish. Hving said that I would hate it if Palace became a Man United or Liverpool.

Cleon
20-05-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
i was gonna start a similar sort of poll, but i would ask PROMOTION or world cup?

anyway, in both instances, i would go for the eagles (palace, not nigeria!)

Happily take promotion over world cup ANY DAY.

The Omen
20-05-2002, 02:11 PM
World Cup I'm afraid!

PeterH
20-05-2002, 02:56 PM
Winning the Prem will do me. Promotion know you can keep it, I would rather win the WC.

As far as Palace are concerned, just winning the FA Cup would fulfill a huge dream for me.

Psychokiller
20-05-2002, 04:33 PM
Whoever's voted for World Cup, I hope you don't complain if we get another class player like Fan Zhiyi when he has to go missing for months to represent his country!

Reps AJ
20-05-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Psychokiller
Whoever's voted for World Cup, I hope you don't complain if we get another class player like Fan Zhiyi when he has to go missing for months to represent his country!

I hate to point out that Fan plays for China, not England. So I don't see how wanting England to win the World Cup means I want Palace to sign loads of players who will go missing for most of the season.

Reps AJ
20-05-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Reps AJ

I hate to point out that Fan plays for China, not England. So I don't see how wanting England to win the World Cup means I want Palace to sign loads of players who will go missing for most of the season.

Okay, just re-read the question. Can I change my reply (above) to:

I would like England to win the World Cup first. However, that doesn't mean I want Palace to sign players who would be unavailable for large sections of the season as this would hinder our chances of winning the Premier League (or promotion).

cpfcben
20-05-2002, 04:52 PM
if u ask ne true fans of a club team they will always support their club team over there country
i would be suprised to findne different

Geezer
20-05-2002, 04:54 PM
I would have kept Fan, at least we would have an excellent defender for half of the season. Wasn't he worth millions in shirt sales like this Thai geezer as well?

Psychokiller
20-05-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Reps AJ

But he's putting his country before his club! Would it be OK if he was missing those games for England then? You can't have it both ways!

Psychokiller
20-05-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by cpfcben
if u ask ne true fans of a club team they will always support their club team over there country
i would be suprised to findne different
4 people on here would disagree with you

The Omen
20-05-2002, 05:06 PM

4 people on here would disagree with you

I'm one of them! :)

Reps AJ
20-05-2002, 05:13 PM

But he's putting his country before his club! Would it be OK if he was missing those games for England then? You can't have it both ways!

Ah, but if he played for England he wouldn't miss those games. So I can have it both ways:)

Reps AJ
20-05-2002, 05:20 PM
If you win or lose a game in the League it doesn't matter as there is one in a few days or the next weekend. If you don't win the League it doesn't matter as there is another one next year.

The World Cup is every four years. That's what's special.

Who won the Premier League 4 years ago? Man Utd or Arsenal? I'm not sure. Who won the 1st division? I can't remember.

Who won the last World Cup? France.

Psychokiller
20-05-2002, 05:26 PM
Don't matter. If someone said to me a few weeks ago that I had the choice of Ireland winning the WC or Palace winning the Premiership there's no contest. Palace every time - they're who I go and watch every week.

I'd quite happily see the World Cup abolished if it meant Palace would win the league....

rambo
20-05-2002, 05:27 PM
I know this is not quite on the subject, but not worth starting a new thread for.

Anyone else bought the `limited edition' England / Palace shirt from the Club-shop? I did because I wanted to show some support for England (and my only England shirt is out of date) while also showing where my real loyalties lie. But all it is is a plain shirt with a Palace badge stitched on one side and Nationwide / three lions on the other. Must be the cheapest-to-make item they have done. And not sure what our sponsors are going to say about them being left off, either.

But then, as long as there are people like me willing to buy it, I guess Jordan is on to a good thing.

:hmph:

Chantelle
20-05-2002, 05:28 PM
I'd go for the world cup every time - that does not make me any less of a palace fan though.

there is something that is just 'right' about playing and beating other countries - it unites a country

PeterH
20-05-2002, 05:42 PM
Whats the point of this question. Its been done several times before and means zilch.

I will have Palace winning Prem and England winning WC. The two are not interdependent except that a winning Palace team will provide half the England team.

Just enjoy the WC or dont watch it.

Psychokiller you better get yourself to the North Pole, with the jubilee and the WC its not going to be much fun is it.

Psychokiller
20-05-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by PeterH

Psychokiller you better get yourself to the North Pole, with the jubilee and the WC its not going to be much fun is it.
Don't get me wrong, I'll still be sitting in the Swan in Brixton watching all the Ireland games, but I'd rather be at Selhurst watching Palace play Grimsby!