PDA

View Full Version : For all those non believers!

The Omen
20-05-2002, 09:13 PM
England are sh!t, we have a poor squad, we lost to Italy in a friendly - everyone else is so much better than us blah blah blah

Well look at a few of the weekend results:

Rep of Ireland 1-2 Nigeria
Sweden 1-2 Paraguay (yes the same team we beat 4-0)
Czech Republic 1-0 Italy
France 1-2 Belgium

and sadly....

Germany 6-2 Austria

A lot of other teams are having bad results! I don't believe we will win the World Cup due to the very strong path we would have to travel to the final, but I think we are as good as anyone else who is going.

Daniel_Nash
20-05-2002, 09:16 PM
Deisler is now out of the World Cup for Germany..

Sweden were missing Ljungberg and Mellberg

I saw Nigeria vs Jamaica, and both teams were awful!

Wol
20-05-2002, 09:20 PM
Everyone needs abit of luck on route to the final, maybe we will maybe we wont win, but to be the best you have to beat the best and that is what England will do. The main thing we have against us is that it is a young squad and maybe not experienced enough!!!

Come on England!!!:p

screamingalice
20-05-2002, 09:24 PM
Until we are beaten we can win it! They wrote us of in 66' we should have won in 90' and were so unlucky in 98'. Ok we may not have a team full of world beaters, but its not just about that its about pride, passion, determination and a bit of luck. England have a good balance and have as good a chance as most. If you dont believe you can do it, you may as well not turn up.

The press and media in this country make me sick, they are always knocking the team and trying to dig up dirt, then moaning when we get beat. I was at England v Portugal in Euro 2000, we had them beaten at 2-0, but because of the knockers when we let one in the confidence drained away. The press were to blame our boys are constantly told we are not good enough and thats what happens. The current team are fresh and don't know when to give up. England to go all the way..

Geezer
20-05-2002, 09:27 PM
We are in the World Cup finals so therefore have as much chance as anyone else. The fact is we could win every match its not impossible, unlikely maybe but not impossible. Every year there is a lower league team that has a good cup run, I seriously doubt all of these teams would survive in the premiership but they went into that match at the start of 90 minutes with excatly the smae chance as the big club.

Remember as long as the scores start at 0-0 every match we have just the same chance as anyone else.

The Omen
20-05-2002, 09:30 PM
I was at England vs Portugal too! I couldn't believe it when we were two nil up - I thought we were going to win the European Cup at the time!

There was a guy sitting nexted to me who fell over a load of seats when the second went in. They had a paramedic who came over and said she was 90% sure his arm was broken and he needed to be taken to hospital. He wouldn't budge though! He said he payed over 100 for the ticket, we were winning two-nil and there was no way he was missing the next 70 mins because of a broken arm! :p

Levski
20-05-2002, 09:43 PM
Saw Wales 1-0 Germany at the Millenium and Germany were outplayed in the second half. The Germans will do well to get the quarter finals.

As for England, well... It's a nightmare group and a nightmare round 2 with France waiting in the wings. France's group is a doddle and they will certianly win their group. So basically we've got to win ours!! Not going to happen. i think we'll get 4 points, enough to scrape 2nd place, then we'll go out to France.

But in the long term we have a decent side, and might have a shout of winning Euro 2004, and/or reaching the semis in Germany 2006 if we manage to keep hold of Sven till then.

Playing in Asia will be weird for all the European and American sides. But if you look any all the world cups in the modern era, it's all about Brazil, Italy, Germany, Argentina. Replace Germany with France and your winners come from one of those four, methinks. Not exactly pushing the boat out with my predictions, but I reckon Brazil winners, France runners up, Italy 3rd, Argies 4th.

Levski
20-05-2002, 09:51 PM
Just went through that World Cup Excel Spreadsheet, and got a Brazil -Italy final, with 3rd place play off Argentina v Spain.

Had France losing 1-0 to Brazil in the Quarters.
Brazil versus Argentina Semi-final - wow!, and Spain-Italy in the other. That would be awesome.

brighton_eagle
20-05-2002, 09:52 PM
Personally, I equate supporting England with supporting Palace. Promises lots, loads of potential, capable of the odd excellent result, but ultimately underachievers.

I do love all the optimism though. :p

King Tubby
20-05-2002, 10:05 PM
Interestingly, whenever I read an interview with someone who's not English, England are almost always cited as being among the favourites, along with Argentina, France and Italy. Ronaldo this weekend said those four, and there have been plenty others. I think the English side is a lot more respected abroad than many people realise. Or people are just being nice because an English reporter asked them the question!

does anyone else have this on the top left corner of their keyboard if you press shift, just before one?? What is it?? ?

King Tubby
20-05-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
Personally, I equate supporting England with supporting Palace. Promises lots, loads of potential, capable of the odd excellent result, but ultimately underachievers.

I do love all the optimism though. :p

Wierd! I equate supporting Palace with supporting Wales, different aspirations I suppose.

brighton_eagle
20-05-2002, 10:10 PM
Yeah, but thats when they are interviewed by the English media. I bet if they were talking to the Spanish media, for example, they'd say Spain instead of England.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think England are *****. I just think that we have no chance of winning the World Cup this year. Our defence isn't strong enough, and we don't have the depth of talent in the squad as teams like France, Argentina, Italy or even Spain do.

bucketbongeagle
20-05-2002, 10:20 PM
Everyone is presuming, not unreasonably, we won't win our group but could come 2nd and therefore have to play France then Brazil, we might on a good day beat one of them but both, I think not. Therefore we have to win our group, If and it's a big IF we could do that then I reckon we could go a long way, we would most likely have to play Uruguay then Russia to get to the semi's both of whom are very beatable, after that christ knows what might happen.

zonin2000
20-05-2002, 10:44 PM
So basically we either have to get the better of Argentina, or get the better of both France and Brazil. Which is assuming that everything goes to form.

In my opinion although our group isn't favourable, being in 'The Group Of Death' can work to our advantage. None of Argentina, Sweden or Nigeria will be easy opponents, but then again no International team is (well, Scotland... :angel:). We have as much chance as Argentina do of winning the group, but then so do Sweden and Nigeria. None of the four teams in our group will play at their best in all 3 group games so I dont think one team will run away with the group. Sweden and Nigeria will cause Argentina lots of problems. With a bit of luck we'll qualify, first or second. If we have to play France then so be it, it would be a hell of a match which we'd have every chance of winning.

eagle mart
20-05-2002, 11:01 PM
I think Sweden will take at least apoint off Argentina, it's all about us, 5 points will win the group. Things come in full cycles, it's our turn Argentina have had theirs. I'm not saying we'll win it, because you do need good fortune but as long as they give as good as 1990 & 98 I'll be happy.
I was at the England Portugal game and it was the best day of my life until they equalised (Figos goal included.)

pete eagle
20-05-2002, 11:06 PM
France rested half of their team against Belgium.

Germany's result doesn't mean much as Austria are awful.

I believe Sweden rested Freddie Ljungberg against Paraguay as well as a few others, also our result against Paraguay flattered us heavily.

PeterH
20-05-2002, 11:13 PM
Well the last four cannot include all three of Argentina, England & France.

England are 9/1 to win WC but a more generous 5/2 to win our group. That would suggest the bookies fancy us to beat France and Brazil if we finish second. Theres some value at 5/2 to win the group.

Got a whole selection of betting coupons to study. One is a free pot bet predicting scores with the winner netting 10k.

Will not go silly, 20 will do it overall in a combo of bets. Italy to win WC - 5/1, England and Ireland to win groups and a search for one more seemingly value bet. Will keep the interest up.

Has tax been abolished now?

Jimbo ?
21-05-2002, 12:17 AM
i have said all along that england will win all 3 and win the group - go through to about the QF or SF

Jimbo ?
21-05-2002, 12:20 AM
yes argentina are a good team - but they are worried about whether their main striker, a certain Mr Cannigia, is fit - yes he is good but he is old and looks good in scottish football.
Sweden are the ones to watch out for
Nigeria are not special

NottsEagle
21-05-2002, 01:09 AM
I think we will struggle to beat Sweden in the opening game, but definitely beat Nigeria.

I think our entire championship (not just the group stage) depends on what we do against Argentina, if we can beat them I can see no reason why we can not get to the final (at least)

if

Random*
21-05-2002, 03:42 AM
To be honest, we're there to win it... not see how far we can go. And to win it, we're gonna have to beat the best - it's stupid saying that we're boned because we either have to beat Argentina, or beat France and Brazil, the truth is that we have to be able to beat all of them.

With the goal scoring ability of Owen, a solid back line, the almost awe inspiring leadership of Beckham (who is revered as one of the megastars of the cup, along with Zidane, Figo, Rivaldo etc), and the hunger of the rest of the team we have every chance... our only undoing I can see is overenthusiasm from some of the new lads.

As soon as we kick the first ball, I know that every one of our players will put everything they have into it. But then, so will every player they are up against...

But the Argentina game is going to be something else - Argentina as a country demands that they beat England, however necessary - and '98 will have fuelled the England players fires - it's going to be huge.

Boris the charltonhater
21-05-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by The Omen
England are sh!t, we have a poor squad, we lost to Italy in a friendly - everyone else is so much better than us blah blah blah

Czech Republic 1-0 Italy

Doesn't this just mean the Czech Republic are better than England as well as Italy being better than England?

England are sh!t. They failed to beat Holland. There are odds of 40-1 for England to lose all their group games. I suggest that people go pay a visit to Ladbrokes.

The Omen
21-05-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Boris

England are sh!t. They failed to beat Holland.

And Sweden failed to beat Paraguay - AT HOME, who we beat 4-0. You can't read anything into friendlys - if you really believe we are sh!t then you have no idea about football.

Sweden rested Ljungberg?! So what?! We didn't have Beckham or Rio Ferdinand - and I'm sure a few others.

AJ1969
21-05-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Boris

England are sh!t. They failed to beat Holland.

Failing to beat Holland doesn't make a team $hit. Holland are without a doubt top 5 in the world with France, Argentina, Italy & Brazil. Draws against Sweden & Argentina and a win against Nigeria will see us through in 2nd spot. That'll set us up for a great 2nd round match and if we win that then who knows. Before the world cup I usually have really high expectations for England and it never amounts to much (with the exception of the hugely disappointing end to the 1990 campaign). This time I don't really expect much so I'm kind of secretly hoping that this year will be the year.....

brighton_eagle
21-05-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by AJ1969
Holland are without a doubt top 5 in the world with France, Argentina, Italy & Brazil.

Really???? How come they aren't going to the World Cup then?

The Omen
21-05-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle

Really???? How come they aren't going to the World Cup then?

FIFA rankings.... ;)