PDA

View Full Version : England Vs South Korea

John Smith
21-05-2002, 01:58 PM
There seems to be no mention of today's game on the boards so far. Is everyone really that disinterested? I for one am quite keen to keep up to date with what is going on, aspecially as it will help pass some time at work. Does anyone know if there is one of those text commentaries, like the Croydon Guardian palace reports, available for this game?

I think it will be a comfortable 2 v 0 to England, illustrating just how much the Scots are struggling these days

Skin Up
21-05-2002, 02:04 PM
Is playing two friendlys in a week really the greatest idea in the world? If we get another injury then we are well and truely screwed.

John Smith
21-05-2002, 02:05 PM
I was listening to Talksport this morning and the Koreans were described as not a physical side, but they are quite nippy

Jimbo ?
21-05-2002, 02:09 PM
after yesterdays debate - come on korea

Ouch that Hurt!
21-05-2002, 02:12 PM
Kick off changed from 11.30 to 11 apparently, which screws up the videoing at home!

El Aguila
21-05-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by John Smith
they are quite nippy
:p :D

AddiscombeEagle
21-05-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Ouch that Hurt!
Kick off changed from 11.30 to 11 apparently, which screws up the videoing at home!

where did you hear that

kit82
21-05-2002, 02:26 PM
Team for todays game:

Martyn
Mills Rio Sol A.Cole
Hargreaves Murphy Scholes Heskey
Owen Vassell

dannyturner
21-05-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by kit82
Team for todays game:

Martyn
Mills Rio Sol A.Cole
Hargreaves Murphy Scholes Heskey
Owen Vassell

Excellent news, Englands actual number one starts!!!

hellsbells
21-05-2002, 02:30 PM
Danny Mills :veryangry :veryangry

3-1 England

The Omen
21-05-2002, 02:53 PM
I think its a good idea playing two games despite the risks. The weather is supposedly very humid out there - the last thing we want is our players first experience of that against Sweden.

South Korea aren't a physical side, Frank Skinner was commenting on this on his program on Sunday.

Cameroon will kick us about a bit though I would think.

Still, we have to start with a strong team. We are not trying out players now - we have our first team squad.

(Just take it easy Owen - PLEASE!!)

John Smith
21-05-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by The Omen

Still, we have to start with a strong team. We are not trying out players now - we have our first team squad.

(Just take it easy Owen - PLEASE!!)

I agree we are not trying out players in terms of squad places, but i disagree when it comes to the first eleven.

Given the injuries, i am not convinced Sven knows who he would play instead of Dyer and Beckham if either/both are not ready for the first game. He has also said that all fit players will be on the pitch at some point today.

While i appreciated the need to protect players, i think it would be a good idea to see our first 11 (or as close as is currently possible) together in a competitive match for at least 70 minutes without all th chopping and changing

Chocky
21-05-2002, 02:59 PM
Why do they always insist some screeching opera singer sings the national anthems these days?

John Smith
21-05-2002, 03:02 PM
Chocky - I presume from your comment that you are watching the game. Would you be so kind as to keep us up to date with what is going on? Admittedly i should be able to catch the second half during my lunch hour, but it would be much appreciated

Elephant with mouse gyp
21-05-2002, 03:03 PM
Doesn't bode well for Joe Cole's chances of making an impact if he can't get into the starting line-up with all the injuries going on.

Especially against a smallish side like South Korea, I would have thought today was the pefect time to give him a full game.

The Omen
21-05-2002, 03:05 PM
Just want to point out that Heskey isnt on the left wing - we are playing a 4-3-3.

The Omen
21-05-2002, 03:08 PM
Anyone know where England are staying in Japan?

pete eagle
21-05-2002, 03:11 PM
the formation is more like

- Martyn
Mills - Ferdinand - Campbell - Cole
- Scholes - Hargreaves - Murphy-
Vassell - Heskey
- Owen -

bobmatt
21-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Anyone know where England are staying in Japan? I thought you had given up stalking. :D :D

Sunny Fan
21-05-2002, 03:16 PM
Any internet commentary out there?

The Omen
21-05-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by bobmatt
I thought you had given up stalking. :D :D

Only said that so they would let me go on bail. ;)

Chocky
21-05-2002, 03:18 PM
Not much happened in the first 15 mins, but Owen had a chance just now put through quite wide, he tried to bend it round the keeper and they eventually bundled it off the line from following up Vassel (I think)

The Omen
21-05-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Chocky
Not much happened in the first 15 mins, but Owen had a chance just now put through quite wide, he tried to bend it round the keeper and they eventually bundled it off the line from following up Vassel (I think)

Would've been a goal if he could use his left foot. :rolleyes:

anti-addick
21-05-2002, 03:24 PM
Try this, the best I can find but I haven't found any live audio.

http://www.talksport.net/football/results/intnls/2002/05/21/mc/257151.html?autorefresh=1

Note this though:

"Heskey gets in behind the South Korean defence but a poor first touch takes the ball away and his cross is headed clear"

Why doesn't that surprise me?

The Omen
21-05-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by anti-addick

"Heskey gets in behind the South Korean defence but a poor first touch takes the ball away and his cross is headed clear"

It was a tough ball - he did pretty well, got a good cross in.

The Omen
21-05-2002, 03:27 PM
Owen scored - great ball by Heskey, shot saved from Scholes - Owen knocked in rebound.

anti-addick
What about this then?

"Heskey flagged offside chasing Scholes' throughball ":D

Chocky
Deserve to be 1 up.

Skin Up
21-05-2002, 03:29 PM
1-0 Owen:p

bucketbongeagle
21-05-2002, 03:30 PM
1 - 0 - Owen.

The Omen
21-05-2002, 03:30 PM
Anti - you are not watching the game!

Heskey has been one of our best players so far. He has won the ball from tracking back numerous times.

The Omen
21-05-2002, 03:32 PM
Live update here if anyone is interested.

http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1052254,00.html

Skin Up
21-05-2002, 03:32 PM
What would we do without Owen, at this rate he should beat Bobby Charltons record by the time he's 25

Chocky
21-05-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Skin Up
What would we do without Owen, at this rate he should beat Bobby Charltons record by the time he's 25

Yeah but he'll probably pull his hamstring in a minute!

Good long range effort by Korea well saved & tipped over by Sir Nigel.

nibula
21-05-2002, 03:41 PM
does anyone have a link for the match on radio????

Axie
21-05-2002, 03:43 PM
Dunno about an actual link but Radio 5 (909/693MW) are having live commentary and so is Talksport (1053/1089 MW) although Talksport are claiming to be unofficial and sound like the bloke is sitting in the middle of a hockey crowd.

Sunny Fan
21-05-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Axie
Dunno about an actual link but Radio 5 (909/693MW) are having live commentary and so is Talksport (1053/1089 MW) although Talksport are claiming to be unofficial and sound like the bloke is sitting in the middle of a hockey crowd.
Radio 5 turned off internet feed as soon as the match started:(

nibula
21-05-2002, 03:50 PM
talk sport is not covering either. is there any other radio stations??:confused: :confused:

The Omen
21-05-2002, 03:50 PM
Half time - South Korea 0-1 England

Comfortable at the moment. Korea are working harder, but have been restricted to long range shots and free kicks.

Sir JB
21-05-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by anti-addick
Note this though:

He was pretty unlucky actually...

Good run, met the ball - and then put in a good cross :)

Axie
21-05-2002, 04:02 PM
Radio 5 have just apologised to people who were hoping to listen to the match on the internet. They haven't got the rights for the World Cup on the internet.

Does this mean that no matches in the WC are going to broadcast on R5 ?

Sir JB
21-05-2002, 04:04 PM
Second half team...

David James

Wayne Bridge
Gareth Southgate
Martin Keown
Danny Mills

Joe Cole
Owen Hargreaves
Trevor Sinclair

Emile Heskey
Teddy Sheringham
Darius Vassell

Only Mills, Hargreaves, Heskey and Vassell stay on :)

Sunny Fan
21-05-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Axie
Radio 5 have just apologised to people who were hoping to listen to the match on the internet. They haven't got the rights for the World Cup on the internet.

Does this mean that no matches in the WC are going to broadcast on R5 ? On radio they're OK, but you won't get internet commentary on 5live

The Omen
21-05-2002, 04:10 PM
Keown, Cole, Sheringham, Southgate - as skipper - James, Bridge, Sinclair all on

Ferdinand, Campbell, Scholes, Cole, Martyn, Owen, Murphy off (I think)

The Omen
21-05-2002, 04:12 PM
1-1 header from a flick on

pete eagle
21-05-2002, 04:15 PM
1-1 header from a flick on

South Korea scored from a header from a flick on, how did they manage that, was the england defence not there?

Chocky
21-05-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle

South Korea scored from a header from a flick on, how did they manage that, was the england defence not there?

No!

The Omen
21-05-2002, 04:17 PM
Corner, Korea player challenged an England defender(not sure who), didn't get a clean header - ball went to back post where Park got his head to the ball infront of Sheringham's half-hearted foot. :grrr:

Bad set piece defending.

We could lose this.....Korea have come to life now.

zonin2000
21-05-2002, 04:18 PM
sack sven

pete eagle
21-05-2002, 04:18 PM
it's the dog burgers that they had at half time

Daddy Long
21-05-2002, 04:19 PM
has David James still got his ridiculous afro?:afro:

zonin2000
21-05-2002, 04:22 PM
haha has anyone seen that banner, at the end which England are attacking, on the far side?

"Matalan Support Owen" :)

Almost as funny as the 'Osama' advertising boards in the San Siro.

Chocky
21-05-2002, 04:29 PM
And thier slogan is "Korean Team Fighting" it's on banners and just about everyone has it on their scarves.

Wonder if Leeds are their favourite English team then?

Jimbo ?
21-05-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by zonin2000
sack sven

swap you - sven for berti

Jimbo ?
21-05-2002, 04:30 PM
aint so easy is it!!!!

all this "oh we will win no probs" !!!

Skin Up
21-05-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
aint so easy is it!!!!

all this "oh we will win no probs" !!!

Remind me who the sweaties have in their World Cup group again;)

The Omen
21-05-2002, 04:33 PM
And thier slogan is "Korean Team Fighting" it's on banners and just about everyone has it on their scarves.

Wonder if Leeds are their favourite English team then?

The masterpiece, I think, is ``fighting,'' that is pronounced by Japanese as ``faito.''

This word, with a literally violent meaning, is heard here, there and everywhere in our society. Foreigners who are not accustomed to the shout of ``fighting'' by Korean fans might be startled by their ``aggressiveness.''

Ahead of the 2002 FIFA World Cup finals, the distorted word is on everybody's lips, with such trademark slogans as ``Korea Fighting'' and ``Fighting 16,'' referring to the hope that the Korean team will qualify for the round of 16 in the World Cup.

Even KTF (Korea Telecom First), a provider of 016 and 018 mobile phone service whose catchphrase is ``First in Mobile,'' has adopted the term, launching a campaign of ``Korea Team Fighting (KTF)'' to support the Korean World Cup team and the successful hosting of the soccer tournament.

Needless to say, Koreans shout ``fighting'' to cheer their teams during sporting events, clenching their fists or holding hands. The term has rapidly spread to other fields of society, with everyone from school kids to senior citizens using it on many different occasions.

The mass media is absolutely responsible for the incorrect use of the warlike word, which is not only used in sports but also in almost all social gatherings.

TV is making the term a national slogan, as emcees induce citizens on streets, campuses, buses and elsewhere to shout ``fighting'' at the end of interviews as an expression of their support for their nation, hometown, school or themselves.

The term is being used so widely that an insurance company has introduced the ``Fighting Ajumma (middle-aged woman) Loan.''

A leading newspaper carried a headline, ``Inter-Korean Economic Cooperation Fighting: Stock Price Soars,'' for an article about the bullish stock market prior to the unprecedented summit between President Kim Dae-jung and North Korean leader Kim Jong-il in June 2000.

Who is fighting whom?

Foreigners, particularly English-speaking people, may be embarrassed by such an aggressive slogan and feel displeased.

When the nation was forced to the brink of bankruptcy during the unprecedented foreign currency crisis and had to rely on the International Monetary Fund's bailout program in late 1997, some people used the organization's acronym when saying ``IMFighting,'' as an encouragement to overcome the economic pinch. It made sense at that time.

While the United States is continuing an anti-terrorist war and intensifying its pressure on North Korea, mounting tension on the Korean peninsula, the warlike term is not a suitable cheer in sports matches, particularly for the World Cup, a global event binding together peoples of different races, languages and cultures.

As is well known, the correct ways to describe ``fighting'' in English are ``Go!'' or ``Do your best,'' although some spectators shout ``fight, fight'' while watching boxing or wrestling.

The Korean language has an abundant vocabulary, and we should try to use it. For example, ``nagaja,'' let's go, or ``igija,'' let's win, both of which are as easy to say as ``fighting.''

Japanese have their own term, ``ganbare'' or cheer up. The Korean mass media needs to take the lead in finding an alternative to the misleading ``Konglish'' terminology.

Popester
21-05-2002, 04:34 PM
aint so easy is it!!!!

Yes, but i cant remeber England losing FOUR games in a row!

Sunny Fan
21-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Half-way through the second half now, anyone care to give an update on how we look?

Skin Up
21-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Feel sorry for any English that have travelled. The catering looks worse than what we get at Selhurst.

nibula
21-05-2002, 04:38 PM
who's that korean bloke ( well i think hes korean) who plays in our acadmey side??

The Omen
21-05-2002, 04:39 PM
Not much happening in the game now. Can't remember the last good chance we had.

Korea are battling hard - could go either way! :)

Sunny Fan
21-05-2002, 04:40 PM
Cheers, how's little Joey doing?

The Omen
21-05-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Sunny Fan

You would have trouble realising hes on the pitch! :(

Tried one nice little skill earlier....

Chocky

There are no baby kangaroos on the field of play.

g23
Originally posted by nibula
who's that korean bloke ( well i think hes korean) who plays in our acadmey side??

Teeratep Winothai (or Lee Saw for short) is from Thailand.

Sunny Fan
21-05-2002, 04:46 PM

There are no baby kangaroos on the field of play.

It worked for the Dutch with Roo'd Gullit

Chocky
21-05-2002, 04:51 PM

It worked for the Dutch with Roo'd Gullit

Arrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhh!

You'll roo the day you said that.

The Omen
21-05-2002, 04:55 PM
Full time 1-1.

Poor performance in the second half. :sob:

Sunny Fan
21-05-2002, 04:56 PM
Full time 1-1.

Poor performance in the second half. :sob:

Not enough bounce in their step I'll wager.

Skin Up
21-05-2002, 04:58 PM
On the upside as we only seemed to fade after the subsitions Sven should now be certain of his strongest 11 against Swenden.

ozeagle
21-05-2002, 05:07 PM
i thought you mob were woeful, going to need a lot of improving before sweden comes, look out for cameroon this friday - far more an established football nation than the dog eaters...

:p

Jaffa
21-05-2002, 05:08 PM
South Korea looked a good side playing nice 1 or 2 touch football - quite Dutch in their approach - Gus Hiddink has obviously influenced that.

I was cheering them on in the 2nd half as Englands display was dire. Wes Brown. Phil Neville 2.

Justy C
21-05-2002, 05:09 PM
Agreed Skin Up. I've got to say that I thought Trevor Sinclair had a mare. Heres hoping that Kieron Dyer makes it although Sky were saying that he is looking doubtful. Press conference at 4pm apparently.

Chantelle
21-05-2002, 05:09 PM
not a great perforance!

i was very dissapointed with bridge, he kept giving the ball away. joe cole was very good a times but it wasent the type of opposition he is best playing against every time an england player had the ball 3 men were on him.

team did look very much like they have never played together - hope thats not the case against on 2nd june

hong_kong_hg
21-05-2002, 05:11 PM
The second half was, er, frankly awful. Hargreaves and Vassell worked their socks off, whilst the rest of the team looked like a bunch of Dean Austins, so pathetic were there attempts at trapping and passing the football. Bodes very badly indeed.

Mat ov CPFC
21-05-2002, 05:13 PM
Sven OUT !

Chantelle
21-05-2002, 05:14 PM
what worse is that hargreave who was generally very good, has picked up a knock

AddiscombeEagle
21-05-2002, 05:16 PM
Give Francis the job

GUCCI Eagle
21-05-2002, 05:19 PM
Just got back from the pub, what a load of plop that was.

Daniel_Nash
21-05-2002, 05:23 PM
I thought the first half was good, the second half was poor... Korea looked quite a useful team. Surprised me!

Too many changes to an already weakened side, but not too bad for an opening warm up game. Sunday 6:30am next one vs Cameroon, set the alarms!!

They have a player called "Gook", wonder how the commentators will handle that!!

Rash the Smash
21-05-2002, 05:26 PM
On the plus side I thought there were good performances from Martyn, Ashley Cole, Mills,Vassell and Hargreaves. Owen looked very sharp. On the minus side Bridge and Sinclair looked out of their depth at this level.
It also showed that they are comfortable in a 4-3-3. Reverting to 4-4-2 in the second half suited the Koreans more but was a necessary try out.
It was a warm up match after all.

New_Malden_Eagle
21-05-2002, 05:29 PM
Second half we were very poor - gave the ball away to often and never looked like creating much. Bridge, Sinclair and Sheringham were disappointing IMO, J Cole flattered to deceive and I thought Brown was just plain bad. At least Sven now knows who he can rely on - the first half performance was good - with Mills and Murphy showing they can be useful standins. MOM performance from Hargreaves

Daniel_Nash
21-05-2002, 05:33 PM
I thought it was hard for the subs to get into the game, it was completely different in the 2nd half.

The players who came on, Sheringham, Sinclair, Bridge, Cole, Brown, and Keown all struggled. Korea came out snapping at their ankles and made it hard.

Not sure if they showed themselves up as not being up to this level, it's a warm up match! Have you ever been a sub? it's not always easy to get into the game. I don't think Sven should make so many changes.

I also don't think that playing national sides so close to the first game is a good idea! Maybe train amongst yourselves or play local or Select XIs. There is a great deal of risk by playing fellow qualifiers!

The Omen
21-05-2002, 07:24 PM
No need to worry people! Poor performance, but I'm 99% sure we will be better come Sweden. This was their first game in a new climate, against a team that plays in that weather all the time!

South Korea have France next week - should be a score to look out for.

Miss Chief
21-05-2002, 09:33 PM
PANTS! Yep, climate adjustment is necessary but we should have beat Korea. The second half was pooooor. I think I'll sleep through the next match against Cameroon and wake up oozing with enthusiasm for the Sweden match. I have faith that the boys, conducted by Sven, will do us proud.

brighton_eagle
21-05-2002, 09:40 PM
No worries. Sven had his psychology hat on for this one I reckon. Of course he makes so many subs. Then, if we don't win, he has a built in excuse.

They all got a run out in the heat, and to be honest I'd rather we saved our good performances for when we need them.

Daddy Long
21-05-2002, 09:43 PM
Where is Agent Top Dog?

Phase 1 of Mills' acceptance by the masses : Mission Successful

Onto Phase 2

Essexeagle
21-05-2002, 10:09 PM
No need to worry people! Poor performance, but I'm 99% sure we will be better come Sweden. This was their first game in a new climate, against a team that plays in that weather all the time!

It was 21 degrees and 65% humidity for that game, it was hotter in London last week.

The Omen
21-05-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Essexeagle

It was 21 degrees and 65% humidity for that game, it was hotter in London last week.

We would never have that type of humidity here.

Essexeagle
21-05-2002, 10:23 PM
it was 63% humidity in London today

Sunny Fan
21-05-2002, 10:29 PM
Think someone's fighting a losing battle.
Oh well, back to the game: sounds good for the two Owens

The Omen
21-05-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Essexeagle
it was 63% humidity in London today

*embarased*

Opps! Oh yeah, last time I trust someone at work about weather facts!!

Just so I get something right - it was actually 72% humidity according to Sky Weather! ;)

zonin2000
21-05-2002, 10:47 PM
so that's sorted our starting eleven against Sweden:

Seaman
Mills Ferdinand Campbell Cole
Beckham Hargreaves Scholes Heskey
Owen Fowler

Heskey on the left because Dyer won't be completely ready until the Argentina game. Then Heskey upfront (unless Fowler scores a hat-trick against Sweden) and Dyer on the left.

Joe Cole is our joker.