PDA

View Full Version : NED ZELIC - for free

downunder eagle
21-05-2002, 01:59 PM
Do we need a "general" in the midfield?

This could be the guy.

He has just left the Kyoto (Japan) team after being at 1860 Munich for few years and I think had a stint with Dortmund and he doesn't have a club. He could be the missing link in the midfield that we are after. He has also played in England before at QPR and has played with "Poppa" more than a few times in the Australian team.

One problem though. He walked out on Munich and the Aussie teams. Claims that he has not got any respect from them. Maybe he has a bit of an attitude problem ? Anyway, he is definitely worth having a look at, especially since he would cost nothing.

Also, another Aussie is available. Tony Vidmar. Another one worth looking at.

Are we going to make an offer for Shaun Murphy? I'm sure he wants to come back and he fitted in very well with his short stint with us.

Jimbo ?
21-05-2002, 02:02 PM
shall we put together the entire oz team??

i would have murphy back and vidmar is a good player - consistant as much as anything

zelic sounds interesting but i dont know much about him

Steve in Phoenix
21-05-2002, 02:06 PM
I think he also walked out on QPR or something to that effect, saying it was a terrible mistake to go to England.. dont think he would want to move but you never know..

sydney eagle
21-05-2002, 02:10 PM
Zelic would be a great addition to the squad.:)

downunder eagle
21-05-2002, 02:14 PM
He sounds like a bit of a prima donna walking out on clubs & country but he is a very good midfielder. We pretty much got the defense and strikeforce we need (Clinton, please give us one more season to get Palace up). We just need the "glue" in the midfield. Zelic could be the man.

sydney eagle
21-05-2002, 02:20 PM
I don't blame Zelic for telling Farina to get fecked,Farina made a big deal out of him not wanting to come back for a few "mickey mouse" games (V Brazil's olympic team I believe) so he makes the long trip back from Germany and gets benched while Farina plays the local useless players from the Australian league,I believe he was also getting over an injury at the time too although I'm not positive about that.

Farnboro' Eagle
21-05-2002, 02:32 PM
He'd be alright, as long as the pitch won't be too hard.......

Fat Andy
21-05-2002, 02:33 PM
Wasn't Zelic the guy who moaned he couldn't play on English pitches because of dodgy knees and was then thrown out by QPR ?

Steve H
21-05-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Fat Andy
Wasn't Zelic the guy who moaned he couldn't play on English pitches because of dodgy knees and was then thrown out by QPR ?

Yep, that'd be him. We really don't need any more injury-prone players!

Raoul Duke
21-05-2002, 04:24 PM
Seen him play a few times, although not for a couple of years. A good all round player but I wouldn't say he's an especially creative midfielder, which seems to be what we need at the moment.

I'm sure that Ned would hate this but, he really is nothing more than a poor mans Paul Okon (similar style but not as much quality) who incidently is out of contract at Watford and would be a much better addition to the squad.

Riccardo
21-05-2002, 04:33 PM
Done really well at QPR didn't he ?? :rolleyes: :o

Jimbo ?
21-05-2002, 04:38 PM
okon as well then!!

TC EAGLE
21-05-2002, 06:31 PM
Didn't Murphy sign a new contract with sheff utd a couple of weeks ago.

BVB Bob
21-05-2002, 06:39 PM
Zelic was a stroppy bugger at Dortmund, who blamed his failure at the club on the lack of ability surrounding him. Ironic when you consider it was when BVB won the league twice & the European Cup - must have been a poor bunch of players! His knees were gone then & they haven't got much better. He was very average at 1860 so, in case you hadn't gathered, no thanks. Too much of a liability, both physically & mentally.

Sir JB
21-05-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by TC EAGLE
Didn't Murphy sign a new contract with sheff utd a couple of weeks ago.

Yep... :)

Jimbo ?
22-05-2002, 12:22 AM
oh well - plenty more fish in the sea - he would have been good though

Psychokiller
22-05-2002, 11:57 PM
I think Zelic walked out on QPR because he didn't like the weather over here!

Skid Row
23-05-2002, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
shall we put together the entire oz team??
Nooooo!!! We'd always make it to the playoffs but lose at the final hurdle as every player would choke. We'd have a record worse than Wolves.

But Zelic would be good.