PDA

View Full Version : 'Second' and 'Third' teams in World Cup

Sunny Fan
21-05-2002, 04:32 PM
With the Ireland debate going on in the other thread, I thought it was time to open this one out to other teams.
I'll be rooting for:

England (from here, live here)
Argentina (love the place, great players)
Ireland (don't subscribe to the 'they boo us therefore we should boo them' philosophy, have always taken pleasure in seeing Ireland do well, even more so now that they have a Palace player)

also have a soft spot for
Brazil (historical greatness, the home of world cup football)
Italy (put money on them to win a while back at decent odds)

What about you lot?

Jimbo ?
21-05-2002, 04:46 PM
China - for fan and the red card count

Skin Up
21-05-2002, 04:48 PM
England because I was born here.

Senagal, Ecordor (sp), China because it's their 1st world cup and it's nice to see nations get the experience of a major tormanant even if it is a one off.

Ireland & USA because of Palace connections

Portugal because i've got a tenner on them each way.

firesign
21-05-2002, 04:50 PM
For me

1. Ireland
2. England
3. Portugal (cause they play good football and it's a nicer place than Spain)

Elephant with mouse gyp
21-05-2002, 04:53 PM
Teams I want to do well:

Argentina (play the best football in the world)
Portugal (lovely to watch)
Nigeria (Kanu is my favourite player)
Uruguay (good football, population of three million)
South Korea (interested in the Dutch influence)
Spain (Love Raul and Hierro despite Madrid)
Ireland (Clint)
China (Fan, Sun)
England (Ashley)

Teams I don't want to do well:

USA (you can shove your 'U-S-A' chants up your...)
Italy (need revenge for Euro 2000 and they are still too defensive given the available talent)
France (their lack of passion for football doesn't deserve a great team)

g23
21-05-2002, 04:58 PM
I'll be following the Swedes, the Croats for their wiliness and technical ability, and the Eagles of Nigeria because I like Kanu too. I wouldn't mind seeing Japan do OK also.

Mat ov CPFC
21-05-2002, 05:10 PM
Croatia- Family reasons and because I plan to live there.

Portugal - Also betting on them and I like Portugese people :)

And anybody playing Ireland :)

redandblue
21-05-2002, 05:17 PM
England - coz I am English and proud
any team playing against Scotland including but not limited to Germany as they slag us off and have the smae attitude towrads us

bucketbongeagle
21-05-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Teams I want to do well:

Argentina (play the best football in the world)
Portugal (lovely to watch)
Nigeria (Kanu is my favourite player)
Uruguay (good football, population of three million)
South Korea (interested in the Dutch influence)
Spain (Love Raul and Hierro despite Madrid)
Ireland (Clint)
China (Fan, Sun)
England (Ashley)

Teams I don't want to do well:

Italy (need revenge for Euro 2000 and they are still too defensive given the available talent)
France (their lack of passion for football doesn't deserve a great team)

Pretty much the same (without Argentina) and for very similar reasons, Kanu is probably my favourite player as well, growing up in Holland I loved watching him play for Ajax along with Litmanen who I think was one of the best players in Europe just unlucky he's Finnish, would of been a huge star had he been Italian, Spanish or English.

CHERRY TREE BRB
21-05-2002, 05:26 PM
will be uruguay, denmark or senegal if they meet us in round two, so we avoid the froggies.!!!!!

Prince Phillip
21-05-2002, 05:33 PM
I always find this debate weak, hollow, soulless and completely repellent.

Only through an “eggs in one basket” approach to Association Football can the lessons and richness of defeat and victory be learnt.

“Hey Football, I support everyone, you can’t upset me”

Pur-leeese

Sunny Fan
21-05-2002, 05:40 PM
Whatever floats your boat Prince P, I agree with you on league football, and take an all eggs approach with Palace, always have.
The World Cup is something different for me, I love to watch it all to take in differences in style, to see new players emerge, to enjoy and appreciate great football, and not to feel so constricted as I do with blindly following one team. As Palace fans I doubt many of us will forget the lessons of defeat and victory over a short month of getting behind different national teams.

New_Malden_Eagle
21-05-2002, 05:41 PM
I used to live in Belgium so will be rooting for les diables rouges (unless they play England obviously!)

Elephant with mouse gyp
21-05-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Prince Phillip
Only through an “eggs in one basket” approach to Association Football can the lessons and richness of defeat and victory be learnt.[/I]

That's what Palace are for.

Club football is the fruit machine down the pub, the one you once won a tenner on and keep coming back to thereafter. The World Cup is Namco, a festival of different sounds, lights and games.

bucketbong - I agree with the thoughts on Litmanen. In my view he should high-tail it out of Anfield quick. To remain second behind Heskey will break his soul.

Dave
21-05-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Mat ov CPFC
And anybody playing Ireland :)
Oh well then - heres mine

San marino
Poland
Germany
Argentina
Norway
and so forth

g23
21-05-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Dave Campbell
Oh well then - heres mine

San marino
Poland
Germany
Argentina
Norway
and so forth

:D :D

Mat ov, you took one HE-ELL of a beating!

TAK
21-05-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by redandblue

any team playing against Scotland

I'd agree with you there but for the fact that Scotland aren't in the WC:rolleyes:

For me

Brazil and Portugal

Jim Cannons Moustache
21-05-2002, 05:56 PM
not having any enormous allegience to any country i'd like to see Ireland do well for family reasons, i'd like to see the asians teams do well as it will be good for the tournament, and i'd like to see Poland do well cos nobody ever mentions them and i have tipped them as darkhorses (sorry all poles, kiss of death i know!)
and i wouldnt mind England doing well if it puts the country in a good mood but dont go getting all arrogant if they do its not pretty. :)

g23
21-05-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Jim Cannons Moustache
and i wouldnt mind England doing well if it puts the country in a good mood but dont go getting all arrogant if they do its not pretty. :)

For someone who prides himself on talking the best nonsense around, that's an extremely good, and concise summary of a sentiment shared by quite a few woollies on here (myself included).

I salute you, sir.

Prince Phillip
21-05-2002, 07:07 PM
I agree with the festival element to the WC, but to open the debate out, can you watch a match between two sides for which you have no particular allegiance without taking a side?

I find it impossible, which is where Joe Coral and I start whispering in each other’s ear.

To hilarious consequences........

Sunny Fan
21-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Prince Phillip
I agree with the festival element to the WC, but to open the debate out, can you watch a match between two sides for which you have no particular allegiance without taking a side?

I'd say I can, would have stronger allegiance to some teams but can be objective about it, or find my allegiance change mid-game sometimes. This often happens in the World Cup, when one team is playing noticeably more attractive football than another, or surprises you positively. It's always good to take a 'side' but in some of the smaller, more obscure games, I really don't mind and just enjoy watching the football for its own sake.
With me, if Argentina or Brazil are involved (or Peru especially, but they never make the finals these days) I'll support them. When they face each other, it's tricky. The Copa America is one of the best tournaments to watch, all teams try their best to score 60-pass goals all the time, great football:p

The Omen
21-05-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Jim Cannons Moustache
i'd like to see Poland do well cos nobody ever mentions them and i have tipped them as darkhorses (

I agree.

I like any of the under-dogs. Always like to see a small football nation turn over one of the favourites.

Teams I reckon to watch out for:

Poland
Senegal
Japan
(And maybe Korea after their last two games!)

Jim Cannons Moustache
21-05-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by g23

For someone who prides himself on talking the best nonsense around, that's an extremely good, and concise summary of a sentiment shared by quite a few woollies on here (myself included).

I salute you, sir.

Totus Porcus wor g23. init:o

(sorry for reverting to type but you'd be disapointed if i didn't)

SE20
22-05-2002, 05:11 AM
I always like to see underdogs and no-hopers do well

COME ON ENGLAND!

Ruskin Old Boy
22-05-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Sunny Fan
Whatever floats your boat Prince P, I agree with you on league football, and take an all eggs approach with Palace, always have.
The World Cup is something different for me, I love to watch it all to take in differences in style, to see new players emerge, to enjoy and appreciate great football, and not to feel so constricted as I do with blindly following one team. As Palace fans I doubt many of us will forget the lessons of defeat and victory over a short month of getting behind different national teams.

Top post... my son is staying with me over half term and we shall watch the minimum of three games a day. And amongst those games there will be one or two or maybe more if we're lucky that will positively blossom; in others there will be moments of individual brilliance - not necessarily reflected in the final score.

I'll be looking out for:
1 Ireland
2 Argentina (especially if Batigol plays)
3 France (for their football)
4 Uruguay (for the people's passion for football in that country)
5 Italy

It'll be good to see South Africa do well (but unlikely) and Ecuador

Psychokiller
22-05-2002, 11:52 PM
1. Ireland
2. USA (Gregg)
3. Cameroon (Always entertaining)

the_next_matt_jansen
23-05-2002, 01:36 AM
Ireland (being that I am irish) and any countires with Palace connections

Sir.S.C Remembered
23-05-2002, 03:12 AM
Switzerland due to having a passport and parents got a house out there that I visit every year (inherited) and alot of family out there etc etc

ENGLAND BORN N BRED ETC

Irealand as my surname comes from there and I admire their style of play in ya face and no fear.

China for FAN

Rash the Smash
23-05-2002, 06:50 PM
1) England
2) Uruguay (Great history and pedigree in the competition, a country with a wonderful passion for the game.)
3) Italy (elegance personified)
4) Paraguay ( play entertaining football and unlucky to lose to the hosts in 98.)

BUT NOT
France (overated and even then a team not worthy of such a country.)

or France (Frank Le Bouef)

then again there's France ( goalkeeper who ran away from the circus)

lightweight
23-05-2002, 07:18 PM
England first

Other than that -
Ireland cos of Clinton, (and also knowing more about all the other players)
USA cos of Gregg.
Spain - (I like watching that Raul bloke! :love: ) also I always think they'll come good - have also seen them more often than most other teams I think.
France - only because they play such good football at the moment - Zidane's skills are a delight to watch sometimes.

jlmatthews
23-05-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp

You can take your en-ger-land chant and stick that then too please :)

SE20
23-05-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered
Switzerland .....

Don't rush down the bookies to get your bet on. PM me I'll give you any odds you want!

fieldy
23-05-2002, 09:45 PM
How any Englishman can say he wants to see the Argys do well is treason in my book. There appears to be such a large number of Palace fans that are PC woolies. Can't abide it, and what's all this "who's your 2nd team bollox?" If England don't win it I couldn't really give a monkeys chuff who does, providing it's not argentina or france that is!

nicky
23-05-2002, 09:59 PM
cheering on: Morrison, Zhiyi, Senegal, Ecuador, Paraguay
cursing: Argentina, Germany, France, Italy

What odds can you get on Chilavert scoring at least one goal?

Sunny Fan
23-05-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by fieldy
How any Englishman can say he wants to see the Argys do well is treason in my book. There appears to be such a large number of Palace fans that are PC woolies. Can't abide it, and what's all this "who's your 2nd team bollox?" If England don't win it I couldn't really give a monkeys chuff who does, providing it's not argentina or france that is!
Some of my best friends are Argentinian:)

Ruskin Old Boy
23-05-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by fieldy
How any Englishman can say he wants to see the Argys do well is treason in my book.

Borges to you m8

:p

BVB Bob
24-05-2002, 12:16 AM
Well I'll be the 1st to stick up for Costa Rica then. Other half's been living out there, just got back. Top place, top people & the whole place is going absolutely nuts about the World Cup. Bless'em they actually think they've got a chance! Loveable, deranged Ticos. Plus they've got a player called William Sunshine - top effort.

selhurstparkflyer
24-05-2002, 03:15 AM
Senegal, China, Brazil have to be mine in no particular order.

Ireland are the only team I have would like to see do badly, simply because I cannot bear the plastic paddy hysteria that goes with their success.

Overall, I hope its a good tournament- we really are owed one.

Boris the charltonhater
24-05-2002, 12:51 PM
I always want Spain to do well.:vader:

Gosling
28-05-2002, 03:17 PM
After seeing Sunny Fan's Avatar the question strikes me...

Assuming most people on the BBS will be following England in the World Cup, who is your second team?

Mine would be Holland, but they're not going:( :sob:

Elephant with mouse gyp
28-05-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by selhurstparkflyer
Overall, I hope its a good tournament- we really are owed one.

What are you on about? When has there ever been a bad World Cup?

Samo*
28-05-2002, 03:30 PM
England

Ireland(Clinton)

China(noodles)

bunghole
28-05-2002, 03:59 PM
Sweden
Argentina
Nigeria
:D :D :D :D

The EEEAAAGGGLLLEEE!!!
28-05-2002, 04:33 PM
England first - of course.
Ireland second because of Clinton.
USA third because of Greg Berhalter and the fact that I live there now.
Costa Rica forth, because I used to have a house there.

There are quite a few yanks hoping England do well.

Steve in Phoenix
28-05-2002, 05:26 PM
For me its:
1. England
2. Ireland
3. USA
4. Denmark

and whoever plays Italy or Germany.

BTW - on fanhome.com (mostly Canadian/US posters with others from Europe, Asia and Africa) England are either loved or hated much more than I had expected.

a.stew
29-05-2002, 07:07 PM
1-ENGLAND
2-ireland
3-portugal

What?
29-05-2002, 07:09 PM
1 ENGLAND
2 Ireland
3 USA - Go Gregg!

Essexeagle
29-05-2002, 07:21 PM
I'm surprised that not more people have a soft spot for China.

El Aguila
29-05-2002, 07:23 PM
Not France, please God, not France. Argentina would be OK with me, poor sods.

New Eagle
30-05-2002, 12:49 AM
Should the unthinkable happen and England be knocked out early in the Tournament, who will you be supporting? Have you got a second team?
Call me a traitor but I would like to see Argentina do well, as the people over there are going through a terrible time with the financial crisis and World Cup victory would be a nice distraction for a Nation in turmoil.

New Eagle
30-05-2002, 12:56 AM
I think my third choice team would have to be Portugal, a great side with plenty of flair who really deserved more out of Euro 2000.
I have to admit also that I actually own an Argentina Replica Shirt (Hand of God style) though I will not be wearing it next Friday!

ozeagle
30-05-2002, 01:18 AM
but that dirty bunch of fux ur-gay...

loved the 'what's it like to lose the war' chant last night on bbc1 !

clinker !

ozeagle
30-05-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by New Eagle
I think my third choice team would have to be Portugal, a great side with plenty of flair who really deserved more out of Euro 2000.
I have to admit also that I actually own an Argentina Replica Shirt (Hand of God style) though I will not be wearing it next Friday!

let's just hope portugal win their group, i have them loaded in a massive accumulator....

LLCOOLSTEVE
31-05-2002, 06:33 PM
Senegal is now my 2nd team! :D