PDA

View Full Version : Dyer makes squad

OOCO
21-05-2002, 08:35 PM
So he's made it into the 23. IMO he should not be going. Those injuries take ages to heel properly. I bet he gets injured if he plays.

LLCOOLSTEVE
21-05-2002, 08:39 PM
Better than taking trevor Sinclair along though........IMO Sinclair is doing a Macmanaman on the International stage...ie nothing.

Owen Hargreaves........Superb against South Korea........MOM and another brilliant prospect.

Dave
21-05-2002, 08:41 PM
He isn't the same since he went to Barnsley

GUCCI Eagle
21-05-2002, 08:42 PM
I've got the same injury as Kieron Dyer and it keeps reoccurring, plus when I first sustained it I was quite a fit lad. I can't see him getting through the World Cup. We're going out in the groups anyway.

Axie
21-05-2002, 08:55 PM
From Annanova..........

Eriksson puts faith in healing Dyer

Staff and agencies
Tuesday May 21, 2002

The Newcastle United midfielder Kieron Dyer has been included in Sven-Goran Eriksson's 23-man England squad for the World Cup, despite the fact that he hasn't fully recovered from his knee injury.
The news was confirmed today at 4pm, and it means an early flight home for West Ham midfielder Trevor Sinclair, who had been on stand-by in case Dyer didn't make the cut.

Dyer, who picked up the injury when he was tackled by Southampton's Tahar El Khalej on the last weekend of the Premiership season, had been rated as only 50-50 this morning to stay on for the tournament, but Eriksson is clearly keen to take the risk.

The decision may have been influenced by Sinclair's poor showing in the second half of England's warm-up game against South Korea earlier today. The game finished 1-1, but Sinclair was repeatedly caught in possession and looked out of his depth.

Sinclair remains on standby, however, but chose to fly home tomorrow rather than stay in Korea with the squad. He will continue to train at West Ham and can be called up at a moment's notice up until 24 hours before England's first game, against Sweden on June 2. According to FA spokesman Paul Newman, Eriksson praised Sinclair's "professionalism, understanding and commitment to Team England".

There is, however, still no guarantee that Dyer will be fit for the finals, but his agent Jonathan Barnett says Dyer is "delighted" by the news.

"But there is a long way to go," said Barnett. "He still has to pass the fitness test.

"It's obviously touch and go but his knee is getting better all the time. He has a great chance of making the games."

Barnett claimed both he and his client would be keeping their "options open" with regards to the threat of legal action against El Khalej.

But he added: "All he wants is to play in the World Cup... it is not a commercial thing to him. I don't know if it's a gamble, it's a calculated risk. He has got an injury and it's getting better every day. Mr Eriksson has taken the advice of the medical people around him.

"Kieron's very flattered."

Sir.S.C Remembered
22-05-2002, 01:52 AM
He aint fit blatently, twas a bad injury.

What?
22-05-2002, 02:38 AM
A bit of a risk, but they still have a week or so to change it f they have too.

pete eagle
22-05-2002, 02:43 AM
bet sinclair is happy ;)