PDA

View Full Version : Murphy Injured!!!

The Omen
22-05-2002, 07:30 PM
Danny Murphy has joined the ranks of England's walking wounded after a freak training ground accident.

The Liverpool midfielder has been sent for a bone scan after falling awkwardly in practice in Jeju.

Murphy was taken for x-rays and although there is no fracture, the England camp are sweating on the outcome of the scan to see how bad the injury is - they expect to make an announcement in the next 48 hours.

Football Association spokesman Paul Newman revealed: "In the last few minutes of today's training session, Danny Murphy landed awkwardly on his left foot and felt a sudden sharp pain.

"He was sent for an x-ray this evening, which failed to show a fracture. The England medical staff are now planning a bone scan in the next couple of days to establish the exact nature of the injury, specifically whether there is any damage to the bone.

"It is too early to say how serious Danny's injury is or how long it will be before he is back to full fitness.

"The England team doctor has been in contact with Liverpool FC tonight to inform them of Danny's condition and we expect to issue a further update on Friday."

Murphy, who is only in the squad because of an injury to Anfield team-mate Steven Gerrard, is the second injury scare to hit Sven Goran Eriksson's plans today following Ashley Cole's knee ligament damage.

He is also the fourth midfielder to be struck down by the World Cup curse following high-profile injuries to David Beckham and Kieron Dyer, and Nicky Butt's knee problem.

If Murphy is ruled out of the Group F games with Sweden, Argentina and Nigeria, it will mean a return to the Far East for Trevor Sinclair - who has only just left for England after Dyer was passed fit.

pete eagle
22-05-2002, 07:38 PM
would prefer to see David Dunn called up if he is injured, Sinclair isn't a centre midfielder

Smurph
22-05-2002, 07:39 PM
You scared me for a moment there... I thought you were talking about Jerry Murphy.

I know he doesn't play any more but I'd still be upset if my favourite ever Palace player got hurt. :clown:

Skin Up
22-05-2002, 07:41 PM
I'm more worried about the news of Ashley Coles knee.

Eagle Kneevil
22-05-2002, 07:43 PM
I still reckon there's a sting in this tale that will favour McMananman. Watch this space.

Reps AJ
22-05-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Eagle Kneevil
I still reckon there's a sting in this tale that will favour McMananman. Watch this space.

Sven has said only the U21s will be called up (apart from Sinclair)

Strathclyde Eagle
22-05-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
would prefer to see David Dunn called up if he is injured, Sinclair isn't a centre midfielder
I might have got some people mixed up here, but isn't David Dunn Irish?

As for the general injury situation, it is all becoming a little bit too reminiscent of the Roy of the Rovers storyline prior to the 1984 F.A. Cup Final (obscure reference, I know ;)).

The Omen
22-05-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle

You are thinking of Damien Duff..... :)

AddiscombeEagle
22-05-2002, 07:51 PM
You are thinking of Damien Duff and we wish he was English

Eagle Kneevil
22-05-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle

You're thinking of Christy O'Connor Jnr ;)

AddiscombeEagle
22-05-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Eagle Kneevil

You're thinking of Christy O'Connor Jnr ;)

:p

Daddy Long
22-05-2002, 08:09 PM
David Dunn can provide everything that Sinclair can't - a killer pass, skill on the ball, tackling abilty, and can play anywhere across the midfield. I'd go so far as to say he should have been considered ahead of Joe Cole. I hope he gets a call.

Strathclyde Eagle
22-05-2002, 08:20 PM
I stand corrected... in a corner, wearing a dunce's hat. :clown:

congress
24-05-2002, 12:37 PM
Danny Murphy is now out of the World Cup and is being sent home.

I bet Trevor Sinclair wished he had stayed out there now as they are now thinking of flying out David Dunn.

Ruskin Old Boy
24-05-2002, 12:54 PM
Don't be surprised to see Alan Smith on the plane. No, not that one:D

LLCOOLSTEVE
24-05-2002, 12:59 PM
If only Barmby was match fit

west country boy
24-05-2002, 02:32 PM
Just heard that Sinclair's on his way back to rejoin the squad:(

LLCOOLSTEVE
24-05-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by west country boy
Just heard that Sinclair's on his way back to rejoin the squad:(

He has done less than Macmanaman at international level..............:grrr:

Sunny Fan
24-05-2002, 02:39 PM
He's really racking up those air miles isn't he.

Guy on the radio this morning was talking about the curse of the number 4 (Gerrard and Murphy). Apparently in Korea 4 is considered very unlucky, to the extent that no Korean hotel has a fourth floor.
At least they're in Japan now I suppose

ozeagle
24-05-2002, 03:02 PM
England's World Cup finals campaign is in serious trouble after it was revealed that skipper David Beckham is almost certain to miss the clash against Sweden on June 2.

The Manchester United star is believed to be behind schedule in his recovery from a broken left foot.

Eriksson was hopeful that Beckham would be available for Sunday's final World Cup warm-up against Cameroon in Kobe but that has now been ruled out.

The Swede said he will be guided entirely by medical advice on Beckham.

"If he wanted to play on Sunday and the medical staff said it was OK then we'd look at it.

"It would be very bad for all of us if he broke the bone again, for United and for England. We have to be very sure.

Despite this setback Eriksson is still optimistic that his star player will be ready to lead his side into battle come finals time.

"You feel the optimism around the medical team. That gives me hope.

"He's doing everything to be fit. The bone is almost, almost healed," explained Eriksson.

When asked whether Beckham had yet kicked a ball yet at training, Eriksson replied, "I hope not. I don't think he has and he shouldn't."

Beckham has been training lightly away from his teammates and still appears to be favouring his left foot.

With Nicky Butt still not 100 percent fit and the latest injury concern over Danny Murphy, it leaves Joe Cole and Paul Scholes as the only currently healthy available midfielders.

Owen Hargreaves is carrying a slight niggle after his impressive outing in Tuesday's draw with Korea while Kieron Dyer has little chance of being fit for the first game of the tournament.

It now looks like Eriksson's decision to allow standby Trevor Sinclair to return to England was premature.

The West Ham midfielder was back at Heathrow airport awaiting a possible return to the Far East and said, "I'd be honoured to go back. But a recall is not certain."

As for any further possible replacements, Eriksson said, "Any more problems and I'll bring in players from the Under 21s."

The England U-21 side was eliminated from the European Championship finals at the group stage and the likes of David Dunn and Alan Smith real possibilities.

Eriksson's relutance to consider experienced campaigners Steve McManaman, Graeme Le Saux and Darren Anderton could prove crucial in the final wash-up.

Sunny Fan
24-05-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle

Eriksson's relutance to consider experienced campaigners Steve McManaman, Graeme Le Saux and Darren Anderton could prove crucial in the final wash-up.

"In the final wash-up"? WTF?

The Omen
24-05-2002, 03:12 PM
Please help us Obi Mcmanaman, you are our only hope! :vader:

LLCOOLSTEVE
24-05-2002, 03:17 PM
Im kinda leaning towards thinking we should call up Anderton.........

Steve in Phoenix
24-05-2002, 03:18 PM
I reckon Darren Anderton should have been the one on standby - he can play all across the park, is experienced and yes healthy! But I guess he's in the Maldives now or something. Sinclair looks like a fool now.. had he even touched a football before turning around and flying back? It'll be a cautionary tale in the future..

Please God - protect Hargreaves' metatarsals! He's our last chance of having a decent world cup.

John Smith
24-05-2002, 03:29 PM
All does not bode well

Past lessons about trying to get injured players fit in time have not been learnt. '82 saw Francis and Keegan only play bit parts in the third game. '86 saw Bryan Robson put out his dodgy shoulder again. Talk about taking chances with 4 currently injured midfielders

If Beckham and Dyer don't make the first game (probably the most important of the three group games) our midfield will be from Hargreaves, Butt, Scholes, Cole and (probably)Sinclair.. Is that going to be good enough against the Swedes? i have serious reservations.

We badly need Beckham fit

wombat
24-05-2002, 03:33 PM
Can't we just play 5- 0 - 5?

pete eagle
24-05-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
If only Barmby was match fit

thank god he isn't.

Dunn should have been called up, he is a centre midfielder which Trevor Sinclair is not, so now we're down to picking from Scholes,Butt,Hargreaves and maybe Cole in the centre of the park

Levski
24-05-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by John Smith
All does not bode well

Past lessons about trying to get injured players fit in time have not been learnt. '82 saw Francis and Keegan only play bit parts in the third game. '86 saw Bryan Robson put out his dodgy shoulder again. Talk about taking chances with 4 currently injured midfielders

Good point, mate. Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it - arrrrgh!!! Not even Sven's 'Positive Mental Mind Maps' and 'Cultural Architects' can save us.

Who else saw that programme last night. It was interesting but flawed, I thought, ie no mention of the 4 free kicks that Beckham missed before he stuck in that last one v Greece. And lots of terrible cliches, such as kids playing football in some Northern slum, and crap music. Otherwise great! :p