PDA

View Full Version : How about Lee Bowyer?

The Omen
22-05-2002, 08:32 PM
UNITED midfielder Lee Bowyer has been put on the transfer list after turning down the offer of a five-year contract to stay at Elland Road until 2007 for reasons detailed to be 'a career move'.
The 25-year-old midfielder has been in talks with the club since December but has rejected the final offer from Leeds believed to be in the region of £2million a year.

Speculation that the £15million rated United star would leave this summer has been running for weeks and Leeds Chairman Peter Ridsdale has now announced the club will listen to offers for the midfielder, with Liverpool and Arsenal reported by the media as interested parties.

Ridsdale told www.lufc.com: "Leeds United today announce that Lee Bowyer has made the decision to turn down a new five-year contract. "

"Lee's accountant David Geiss has informed us that the terms of the contract are not the issue but that Lee has made the career decision to move on.

"With Lee having one year remaining on his current agreement, the club has no alternative but to place him on the transfer list with immediate effect.

"This initiative has been taken with great reluctance. Given the contract offered by the club, which would have elevated Lee to the elite of the highest paid players at Leeds United, and given the support the club has shown Lee during the past turbulent 30 months, we are disappointed to have this reached this juncture.

"We are surprised that this is the outcome after months of what appeared to be positive talks."

markholmes1991
22-05-2002, 08:33 PM
Are you Mr Football information!

King Tubby
22-05-2002, 08:34 PM
Sign him up!!!

The Omen
22-05-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by markholmes1991
Are you Mr Football information!

I try my best! :)

firesign
22-05-2002, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't have him for free. The man's a stupid thug.

Daniel_Nash
22-05-2002, 08:48 PM
Arsenal bound! i reckon.

King Tubby
22-05-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Daniel_Nash
Arsenal bound! i reckon.
Well, he'd fit right in then.

Grim Eagle
22-05-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by The Omen
The 25-year-old midfielder has been in talks with the club since December but has rejected the final offer from Leeds believed to be in the region of £2million a year.

"Lee's accountant David Geiss has informed us that the terms of the contract are not the issue but that Lee has made the career decision to move on."

6 months of negotiations, and the best excuse he can come up with for being a greedy git is "a career move". He must think everyone is as stupid as he is. :rolleyes:

Farnboro' Eagle
22-05-2002, 08:56 PM

I try my best! :)

Or did you hear it, like I did, on Radio 1 Newsbeat during the 4:30 news?!?! :D

SmithEagle
22-05-2002, 08:58 PM
Bowyer has been placed on the transfer list.

I think he is a waste of space, just a fat racist thug, what do you all think?

Daniel_Nash
22-05-2002, 09:02 PM
Maybe it's an enforced career move, Leeds need to sell players to recoup their losses!

Strathclyde Eagle
22-05-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Farnboro' Eagle

Must have typed it pretty quickly if he did. Don't think that was the source myself though. :)

Bet Chris Moyles had something to say on the subject. Sorry, I mean to shout on the subject. :rolleyes:

g23
22-05-2002, 09:05 PM
I don't think he's fat.

The Omen
22-05-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Farnboro' Eagle

News wire that came into Sky Sports - went straight to the Leeds site to get the report.

The Omen
22-05-2002, 09:11 PM
Hows comes this has been moved to the Palace transfer hotline!!

Come on - there is no way he is going to move to Selhurst, I reckon I posted it in the right forum to start with!!

Adrian
22-05-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by SmithEagle

I think he is a waste of space, just a fat racist thug, what do you all think?
I'd go with that (though maybe not fat - I haven't taken his waist measurement recently).
:D

Riccardo
22-05-2002, 09:17 PM
I'd rather eat my own sh!t than watch Palace play with Bowyer in the side.

Sorry, just to make it clear, I don't want us to sign him.

AddiscombeEagle
22-05-2002, 09:18 PM
Just a dilemma, say Van Nistleroy or Beckham wanted to come to Palace and he was a fat racist thug, would you want him to join or not?

How far do your morals go?

g23
22-05-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Riccardo
I'd rather eat my own sh!t than watch Palace play with Bowyer in the side.

Tut, tut - what would Dr Atkins say?

El Aguila
22-05-2002, 09:39 PM
I think he'll go abroad.
I'd rather Palace continued being the sort of knockabout, frustrating team they have been all my life than started signing evil gits and became hugely successful.

firesign
22-05-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by AddiscombeEagle
Just a dilemma, say Van Nistleroy or Beckham wanted to come to Palace and he was a fat racist thug, would you want him to join or not?

How far do your morals go?

But that's the whole point - they are not, he is.

Jaffa
22-05-2002, 09:48 PM
It aint gonna happen but even though I detest the bloke, Bowyer would be absolute class in a Palace shirt.

Dont deny it.

El Aguila
22-05-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa
It aint gonna happen but even though I detest the bloke, Bowyer would be absolute class in a Palace shirt.

Dont deny it.
Vertical stripes are not flattering to the fuller figure.

Tim of the 80's
22-05-2002, 10:02 PM
I don't care if he was better than Pele. I couldn't bring myself to watch him.

brighton_eagle
22-05-2002, 10:18 PM
He's a thug. Good player, but a thug, and more than that, I suspect a disruptive influence in the dressingroom.

Frankly, I hope he ends up having to settle for considerably less than the 30k a week he reportedly turned down. Smarmy little ****.

El Aguila
22-05-2002, 10:27 PM
I see him at Atlético Madrid.

daz_eagle
22-05-2002, 10:33 PM
Rememeber, Bowyer was found INNOCENT in the law courts! In my view, he is more worthy of a place in the England squad than the likes of Murphy and Butt. I'd rather see Bowyer as a Palace player than Francis as the Palace boss - Bowyer has ability. Plus, it would really piss the Charlton scumm off.

Riccardo
23-05-2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by daz_eagle
Plus, it would really piss the Charlton scumm off.

And me daz. ;)

Riccardo
23-05-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by g23

Tut, tut - what would Dr Atkins say?

:D (The Byrds playing on) My headphones nearly fell off when I read that.

Reps AJ
23-05-2002, 01:44 AM
Rememeber, Bowyer was found INNOCENT in the law courts! In my view, he is more worthy of a place in the England squad than the likes of Murphy and Butt. I'd rather see Bowyer as a Palace player than Francis as the Palace boss - Bowyer has ability. Plus, it would really piss the Charlton scumm off.

No, there was not enough evidence to prove that Bowyer was guilty so he was found not guilty. The judge did not call him innocent, in fact the judge called him a liar which was why he got stuck with all his legal fees.

Gosling
23-05-2002, 01:48 AM

I've got to say I agree.

It will never happen, of course, but I am alll in favour of second chances. In this particular case he wasn't found guilty in the first case! People are just jumping on the "Lee Bowyer's a Combat 18 Racist Thug" bandwagon because he has made a few mistimed or rash tackles on the pitch.

In terms of his playing ability, though, he is streets ahead of any player we've got at the moment.

Riccardo
23-05-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Gosling

In terms of his playing ability, though, he is streets ahead of any player we've got at the moment.

So have I though. :) :eek:

sydney eagle
23-05-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by SmithEagle

I think he is a waste of space, just a fat racist thug, what do you all think? waste of space? you're kidding....he's a fantastic player,he's just someone who opposing fans love to hate because of his stupid dirty tackles sometimes but he has the fight in him to become a great midfielder if he can stop the brain explosions and idiotic tackles.

firesign
23-05-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Gosling

I've got to say I agree.

It will never happen, of course, but I am alll in favour of second chances. In this particular case he wasn't found guilty in the first case! People are just jumping on the "Lee Bowyer's a Combat 18 Racist Thug" bandwagon because he has made a few mistimed or rash tackles on the pitch.

Admittedly Bowyer was found not guilty in court, however, he was found guilty by Leeds of breaking their own clubs and fined accordingly. In my view Bowyer typifies the worst of English footballers/people.

Riccardo
23-05-2002, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by sydney eagle
waste of space? you're kidding....he's a fantastic player,he's just someone who opposing fans love to hate because of his stupid dirty tackles sometimes but he has the fight in him to become a great midfielder if he can stop the brain explosions and idiotic tackles.

....and far-right leanings ??

sydney eagle
23-05-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Riccardo

....and far-right leanings ?? as far as I'm concerned,I only care what he does on the park and that is win tackles,run for 90 minutes non stop and scores loads of goals from midfield. As a person i think the guy is a tw@t but as a player he is class.:)

Riccardo
23-05-2002, 02:21 AM
I actually said that renouch (sp?) British citizenship if he ever played for England....and that was in 1997 before all of his newer 'antics' :eek:

pete eagle
23-05-2002, 02:25 AM
ungrateful to$ser - Leeds support him throughout his court case and this is how he repays him. I wouldn't want that sort of person at my club, he'll probably join Chelsea, he'd fit right in along with Terry,Lampard and Morris

Neckinger Eagle
23-05-2002, 03:58 AM
Lee Bowyer would transform Palace, but he'd be doing it without me watching.

Yes, yes, innocent, but branded a liar by the judge. Isn't he still up for a private prosecution by the victim, where terms of evidence are less strict?

Anyway, what about the day he trashed a local MacDonalds? Wasn't he one of the many Charlton players to do drugs?

He's everything that is dispicable in the modern English footballer. Out of the same mould as Jody Morris.

nicky
23-05-2002, 04:27 PM
Regardelss of the moral issues, he wants 2 million per year, we cant afford that. you might as well debate signing Ronaldo.

AddiscombeEagle
23-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by nicky
Regardelss of the moral issues, he wants 2 million per year, we cant afford that. you might as well debate signing Ronaldo.

Now that would be a good signing.:p

Do you think we could get him;)

Jaffa
23-05-2002, 04:38 PM
Regardless of your views on him as a person, as a player...

He should be on a plane to Japan right now.

Jimbo ?
23-05-2002, 10:11 PM
UNITED midfielder Lee Bowyer has been put on the transfer list after turning down the offer of a five-year contract to stay at Elland Road until 2007 for reasons detailed to be 'a career move'.

just what we need!!

TAK
24-05-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Jaffa
Regardless of your views on him as a person, as a player...

He should be on a plane to Japan right now.

Bollox, I wouldn't have him represent any club I'd support and God forbid my country, racist piece of ****.

I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire and I don't care how good he may be on the pitch which isn't all that.

pete eagle
24-05-2002, 02:57 AM
Ridsdale has today termed Lee Bowyer a waste of time. Can't wait to see the tackles flying in on him next season,

Neckinger Eagle
25-05-2002, 03:19 AM
I don't think anybody is seriously debating Palace signing Lee Bowyer on this thread, just wondering "if we could" would we want him.

And no, he has no place in the England team. Eriksson is trying to build a "calm" team. It always helps to have 11 players on the pitch throughout the game, and I dare say there would be some "clever" midfielders in other teams who would single Bowyer out for some "special attention" both verbal and physical.