PDA

View Full Version : You're TF, choose summer transfers.

Sir.S.C Remembered
23-05-2002, 02:35 AM
Your chance to choose what you would do if Palace manager this summer. Lets imagine SJ has said that due to ITV thing etc you only have 2million to spend initially however wages if not over the top will be paid so free transfers can come in and any money made available by selling first teams can be spent on players (optimistic I know-and later in season more money my wording would suggest).

Who do you sell, who do you sign?

Me I'd sell MATT CLARKE for 1 million to allow Kolinko to take over and Cronin be groomed as I feel he is only real asset who is replaceable. Other options would be to snatch Walker off Walsall as he is deliberating on new deal or go for York's young keeper.

I would then sign Martin Rowlands for the 1million (as they need it it is cheaper) to either give even more competition for wing places or to play behind front two (unless Kirovski stays, if so he can be sub of play next to Aki instead of Thomson). I wouldn't touch Owusu as although he is a decent player if he can only score 15 goals in divie 2 then he isn't Palace good, I mean look even Leon almost scored that and was injured for ages!

I would have a look at Bradford players as they need the money and impressed offensively last season and I'd keep tabs on CLint Hill and Crewe's young forward.

I would then look to sign a partner (or competition) for Aki if playing a 3-5-2 and with Rowlands gaining a place in the team elsewhere. I would look abroad as well as Brown at Sheff Utd.

I would then keep major tabs on Koumas but feel he couldn't be attracted and wouldn't be needed especially if Rowlands were to sign.

I feel this would give the youngsters a chance to come through as many of the left players would be aging and I feel we could cope if future selling was needed.

And If Clint were to leave (please NO) I'd TRY to sign Zamora despite not being as good in my opinion, feel strong competition here though.

pete eagle
23-05-2002, 02:41 AM
who's going to buy Matt Clarke?
where is the money for all these players going to come from?

We simply cannot afford to go out splashing money at the moment and anyone who goes out will not be replaced by Jordan paying transfer fees. The more sensible option would be to look at Premiership teams for loan acquisitions for next season and maybe one or two free transfers while trying to shift out high earners like Pollock and Hopkin (although the latter will demand high wages which will put potential suitors off)

Neckinger Eagle
23-05-2002, 03:24 AM
OK, this is strictly for fun, right?

I'll assume that Morrison is on his way, and as everybody thinks we'll get 5 million, that's a 7 million kitty.

I'd give Dougie a better deal, and take Berhalter off the transfer list.

I'd spend as follows:

Arnar Gunlaugsson (Stoke) - free, out of contract. I'd play 5-3-2 Bruce style with Gunlaugsson in the Kirovski role;
Lee Hughes (Coventry) - 5 miliion;
Iffy Onuora (Gillingham) - free, out of contract - hard man battering ram cover.
Andy Todd (Charlton) - 2 million;
Jim Magilton (Ipswich) - available for free, services rendered. I think he's the nearest we'd get to a First Division playmaker.

Nearer the end of the season and the play-offs would be beckoning. Mullins would by then have become so casual he would just stand in the middle of the pitch all game. I'd sell him for 1.5 million, and use the whole sum to funance Sergei Rebrov's wages for six games (perhaps throw in the keys to the tannoy system seeing as he's a shortwave radio nut).

Alternatively, spend 500,000 on Junior Lewis, and then sell him and Akinbiyi together to gullible Peter Taylor when he becomes manager at Stoke for 8 m.

LLCOOLSTEVE
23-05-2002, 03:36 AM
Ok, no money available, need to look for free transfer's and those who will not ask for high wages.

Al From Bromley
23-05-2002, 03:38 AM
Sell Morrison get Owusu on a free. Best thing Ron said today!

Terry Lee
23-05-2002, 03:39 AM
Sell Matt Clarke?!
Didn't we buy him because Kolinko is so damn irregular?!
Cronin is still too young to be considered next year - keep it as it is I'd say (With Goalkeepers).
I'd buy a new manager with the 2 mil, maybe Mick McCarthy (who lives in Beckenham) as a part time job whilst he manages Ireland. This would also assure Clinton staying, HOORAH!!:) :)

Santos-er
23-05-2002, 03:53 AM
Myself to Outer Mogolia Athletic

What?
23-05-2002, 03:55 AM
I would sack myself!

nicky
23-05-2002, 04:24 PM
Raid Brentford for Evans and Owusu.
And pray that Popovic stays injury free.

Walrus
23-05-2002, 08:55 PM
I'd start by going balls-out for David Prutton - not a hope of getting him ahead of the prem clubs, but a quick phone call to Forest saying "I have 5million in my pocket and want to give it all to you tomorrow in exchange for Prutton" would perhaps give us a chance.

When we don't sign Prutton, I'd bid for Dave Brammer (Crewe) for some midfield guile and Michael Duff (Cheltenham) for central and right sided defensive cover. We could land both for say 1.5 mil total, maybe 2 mil. Neither would demand the earth in wages.

How much would Peter Hoekstra (Stoke) cost ? He'd show Julian how to be a left winger and would be a great investment purely in terms of JG's development - oh, and he's a classy player too.

Other than that, keep grooming the stars in the youth ranks and hope that the "I want it all now" element of CPFC's support show some patience.

The Omen
23-05-2002, 09:21 PM
I reckon we should look at the following players (obviously not sign them all!!):

Gerald Sibon (Sheff Wed) - transfer listed
Michael Hughes (Wimbledon)
Harpal Singh (Leeds) - Loan
Michael Duberry (Leeds)
Jason Wilcox (Leeds)
Oyvind Leonhardsen (Spurs)
Craig Hignett (Blackburn)
Dean Windass (Middlesbrough)
Chris Coleman (Fulham) - assuming Fulham do not want him.
Stefan Schwarz (Sunderland) - transfer listed
John Oster (Sunderland)
Deon Burton (Derby)

All pretty cheap and all would improve the squad IMO.

The Omen
23-05-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Neckinger Eagle

Andy Todd (Charlton) - 2 million;

He has already moved to Blackburn for 750,000 I think.

BUNGLE
23-05-2002, 09:34 PM
Weatherall (Free)
Owusu (Free)
Carasso (50k)
Moncur (Free)
Adebola (Free)
Hignett or Hughes (500k)

Not all great players but would add to the strength and depth of the team and all cheap.

If we sell Morrison add:
Savage (2m) instead of Moncur.
Zamora (4m) instead of Adebola.

cpfcben
23-05-2002, 10:01 PM
adebola- dont take the piss, one of the biggest donkeys i have ever seen
hughes, do you mean iam 38 and need a zimmer frame mark hughes

Sir JB
23-05-2002, 10:11 PM
OUT

Steve Kabba - 50k (Not going to make it)
Jamie Pollock - FREE (Just pay up his wages)
Craig Harrison - 100k (If he becomes fit during the summer)
Dean Austin - 50k (After everything Palace has given him, he has a cheek)
David Hopkin - 200k (Some Scottish team would pay it, wages may be a problem)
Gregg Berhalter - 350k (I like him, but he wants to go)
Andrew Frampton - 50k (Not going to make it)
Jovan Kirvoski - FREE (His choice)

Thats 600k made selling dead-wood.

IN

Jim Magilton - FREE (One of the main reasons Ipswich went up)
John Moncur - FREE (Even if its a one year contract, he would be good as a squad player)
David Wertherall - FREE (Although he is 32ish, would be a good option for when (not "if" ;) ) Popovic or Symons gets injured
Ivar Ingimarsson - FREE (I admit to not seeing him play, but he is meant to be a very good player)

I would also like to see maybe one or two big clubs reserves come in like Coppell did with Black and Gray. Players who have realised they won't become first teamers there and be willing to drop down a division. Wouldn't cost that much :)

Jimbo ?
23-05-2002, 10:17 PM
I think we all agree that we need ~6 new players
owusu
jess
locke
the other good bradford defender
carraso
hignett
leonhardson

cant agrue with the last 2 as they have been suggested earlier !!

this would give us a good squad to build on in the season ahead
adebola....etc are worth looking at if they are on a free

Walrus
23-05-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo ?
I think we all agree that we need ~6 new players
owusu
jess
locke
the other good bradford defender
carraso
hignett
leonhardson

cant agrue with the last 2 as they have been suggested earlier !!

this would give us a good squad to build on in the season ahead
adebola....etc are worth looking at if they are on a free

Is it me, or are a lot of these out of contract, potential Palace buys (not just in your post Jimbo, I'm not digging you out :D) close to 30 or 30+ ? And also likely to want contracts in the region of 10k a week at least ?

Not good business, considering our wage bill according to SJ is already the 5th highest in Div 1 !

Owusu may well want a big pay day when he signs for his next club, and I thought we'd already had talks about signing Carasso permanently, but these had not got anywhere ? (Could be wrong on that one).

Jaffa
23-05-2002, 10:30 PM
Out:

Pollock - Free
Kabba - Free
Frampton - Free
Rodger - Free
Morrison - 7.5m
Kirovski - Free
Berhalter - Free

Income: 7.5m

In:

Craig Hignett (Blackburn) - 1.5m
Graham Barrett (Arsenal) - 600k
James O`Connor (Stoke) - 1.5m
Jermaine Pennant (Arsenal) - LOAN
Jay Boothroyd (Coventry) - 1m
Bobby Zamora (Brighton) - 4m

Outgoing: 8.6m

PhilD
23-05-2002, 10:33 PM
If someone offers 6-7 million for Morrison take the money and sign:

Lloyd Owusu - Brentford free (could potentially be a good first division player if groomed)

Marcus Hall Coventry free (versatile, experianced and consistant)

Gary Breen Coventry free (long shot I know but if a Premier club don't come in for him he may have to re-think his wage demands)

If not Breen David Weatherhall - Bradford free (short term a good buy)

Paul Evans - Brentford free (could easily step up a level successfully)

Micheal Brown - Sheff Utd 3 million (worth the money for a quality midfield player)

David Johnson - Notts Forest 200,000 (proven at this level with Ipswich and has always played well against Palace!)

Undoubtedly the wage bill would increase with these signings but its is proven a large squad is needed to win promotion.

Palace would still make an overall profit on transfer dealings of several million leaving some money to avoid financial problems short term.

However if promotion was unsuccesful the club would at least have saleable assets if the wage bill needed to be trimmed.

Jaffa
23-05-2002, 10:35 PM
Incidentally, if we did buy those players, first game next season my team would be

Clarke

Gray
Popovic
Mullins
Granville
Fleming

Pennant
O`Connor
Hignett

Zamora
Freedman

Subs: Kolinko, Symons, Barrett, Boothroyd, Black

kolinkins
23-05-2002, 10:47 PM
out: jolly, berhalter, austin

i would keep clint, and then, as the above 3 wouldnt bring in any income, i would go for

in: carasso, wetherall, jess and maybe greenacre

AJ
23-05-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Sir JB
[Gregg Berhalter - 350k (I like him, but he wants to go)

[/B]

Is a player who is going to the World Cup finals only valued at $350k??

I wonder if indeed, his value should be higher.

Sir.S.C Remembered
23-05-2002, 11:18 PM
ooo Magilton, and I'd be interested in the Omens suggestions of these lot:

Michael Hughes (Wimbledon)
Harpal Singh (Leeds) - Loan
Michael Duberry (Leeds)
Jason Wilcox (Leeds)
Oyvind Leonhardsen (Spurs)
Craig Hignett (Blackburn)
Dean Windass (Middlesbrough)
Chris Coleman (Fulham) - assuming Fulham do not want him.
Stefan Schwarz (Sunderland) - transfer listed
John Oster (Sunderland)
Deon Burton (Derby)

Windass is class, Hignett is good, Duberry b@stad but could be great (too risky), Wilcox very good but not needed

Some of them alot of competition

Sir JB
23-05-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by AJ
Is a player who is going to the World Cup finals only valued at $350k??

I wonder if indeed, his value should be higher.

I agree with what you are saying and I think he is worth more but I think considering the club bought him on a free and he is unhappy they will allow him to go cheaper unfortunally...

Sir JB
23-05-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Jaffa
Incidentally, if we did buy those players

Can you actually seeing us getting them though? :confused:

Geezer
24-05-2002, 12:00 AM
Id bring in Adebola, sonner and Goldbaek all in on free transfers. Simple job done, two good midfielders, one ball winner and one playmaker as well as a good forward for competition.

Geezer
24-05-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Sir JB

I agree with what you are saying and I think he is worth more but I think considering the club bought him on a free and he is unhappy they will allow him to go cheaper unfortunally...

Also hes not the worlds greatest defender, and hes unhappy and not getting first team.

Sir JB
24-05-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Geezer
Id bring in Adebola, sonner and Goldbaek all in on free transfers. Simple job done, two good midfielders, one ball winner and one playmaker as well as a good forward for competition.

You won't want Sonner. Birmingham fans hated him.

Sir.S.C Remembered
24-05-2002, 12:53 AM
Goldbaek has signed new deal

AJ
24-05-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Geezer

Also hes not the worlds greatest defender, and hes unhappy and not getting first team.

My point is that if Palace went to any other club, who had a player at the WC Finals are inquired on the price, what would it be?

Are Sun and Fan of China any better than Berhalter?

Is Berhalter the worst defender at the WC Finals?

skeletor_80
24-05-2002, 02:24 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BUNGLE

If we sell Morrison add:
Savage (2m) instead of Moncur.

Have you seen Savage play? I wouldn't even pay him his wages if he was free!

DUTCH
24-05-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Terry Lee

I'd buy a new manager with the 2 mil, maybe Mick McCarthy (who lives in Beckenham) as a part time job whilst he manages Ireland. This would also assure Clinton staying, HOORAH!!:) :)

Good thinking. Think of all the players he may be able to convince they are really Palace players when they aren't!:o

Neckinger Eagle
25-05-2002, 03:12 AM
I'm disappointed to learn Andy Todd has gone to Blackburn - after all he would have been fired up for Charlton matches.

I like the idea of Hignett, a real entertainer.

Probably the wrong thread, but after what's happened with Roy Keane, we should try to "buy" Mick McCarthy - he should be knighted for services to football!

Jaffa
25-05-2002, 03:22 AM
I think all are realistic, with perhaps the exception of Zamora.

Coventry are in financial trouble and so would be looking to get rid of players, so an offer for Boothroyd would be considered.

Barrett isnt anywhere near first team football at Highbury, so could be moved on in a similar way to Gray and Black. Similarly Pennant got loaned to Watford last year and with Arsenals big spending, I think they may choose to do it again.

O`Connor and Hignett would be the tougher of the 4 because their clubs play them regularly and they have no real need to sell.

glaziers fan
25-05-2002, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by pete eagle
who's going to buy Matt Clarke?
where is the money for all these players going to come from?

We simply cannot afford to go out splashing money at the moment and anyone who goes out will not be replaced by Jordan paying transfer fees. The more sensible option would be to look at Premiership teams for loan acquisitions for next season and maybe one or two free transfers while trying to shift out high earners like Pollock and Hopkin (although the latter will demand high wages which will put potential suitors off)

It's laughable to think about selling Clarke! He is the best keeper we've ever had on our books! He is better than Nigel Martyn! I wud sell Kolinko if I was gonna sell any1! Matt Clarke will attract Premiership interest before the end of next season i guarantee u! I just hop we're near the Premiership by then and can resist the 4m bids!

DE - Glad All Over
25-05-2002, 06:21 AM
Lee Boyer, and any other thugs would be fun.

glaziers fan
25-05-2002, 06:35 AM
Out wud go Berthaler, Frampton, Harrison, Austin, Rodger, Hopkin, Kabba, Kirovski.

And in wud come Edworthy (free), and Michael Brown (2.5m) and possibly Windass or Duberry if we cud tempt them to come south, especially the latter. Then I wud give Tommy a regular start and bring Routledge and Borrowdale into the squad gradually this season in the hope that they will be ready for the Premiership 2 seasons later.

Clarke

Duberry/ Murphy Mullins Popovic

Edworthy Brown Black Aki Gray

Freedman Morrison

Subs

Routledge Akinbiyi Fleming Kolinko Granville

Streatham man
27-05-2002, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan
Out wud go Berthaler, Frampton, Harrison, Austin, Rodger, Hopkin, Kabba, Kirovski.

And in wud come Edworthy (free), and Michael Brown (2.5m) and possibly Windass or Duberry if we cud tempt them to come south, especially the latter. Then I wud give Tommy a regular start and bring Routledge and Borrowdale into the squad gradually this season in the hope that they will be ready for the Premiership 2 seasons later.

Clarke

Duberry/ Murphy Mullins Popovic

Edworthy Brown Black Aki Gray

Freedman Morrison

Subs

Routledge Akinbiyi Fleming Kolinko Granville

I like it.

Jaffa
27-05-2002, 08:32 PM
Its hardly an improvement on what we have though?

In fact, Id say that Fleming is much the superior player to Edworthy.

In spite of my previous comments Id be inclined to play a flat back 4, and the formation would be (if the President left)

--------------- Clarke ------------------

Fleming -- Symons --- Popovic -- Granville

Pennant --- Mullins ----- Hignett --- Gray

--------- Freedman -- Barrett -----------

Subs: Aki, Boothroyd, Kolinko, Berhalter, Black

Lords Eagle
27-05-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Terry Lee
I'd buy a new manager with the 2 mil, maybe Mick McCarthy (who lives in Beckenham)
I think you'll find he lives in Orpington, still close though.

Axie
27-05-2002, 08:38 PM
Have you seen Savage play? I wouldn't even pay him his wages if he was free!

Bruce would (and is apparently).

Jimbo ?
27-05-2002, 11:40 PM
if the likes of savage go anywhere - it will be to the premier - i know wages will come to a big problem but there have been a lot of good suggestions made and as i said maybe 6 of them would give us a real chance of promotion any less and i fear we will be the "going nowhere club" like last season

skeletor_80
27-05-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Axie

Excellent - Savage may regain his title of worst midfielder in the Premiership.:p

Dartford Lad
28-05-2002, 01:44 PM
John Moncur has signed a new deal at West Ham, so we don't have to worry about him joining! :D

Celestial Empire
28-05-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Sir.S.C Remembered

Windass is class, :eek:

SSCR - Do behave yourself !

Re Murphy - weren't we supposed to be waiting for him to be out of contract ?
Any news ?

ozeagle
28-05-2002, 04:53 PM
i'd move myself out !!!!!!!
:eek:

OKnotOK
28-05-2002, 04:56 PM
OUT:

Kirovski (Free)
Austin (Nominal)
Rodger (Free)
Berhalter (350k -- yes it is ridiculously low for a player featuring in the world cup and who kep Christian Vieri in his pocket but oh well!)
Hopkin (Nominal -- cos we would have to give him away the wages he is on!)
Pollock (Ditto!)

IN:

Owusu (Free)
Brown (2.5m)

PROMOTED:

Routledge

TEAM:

Clarke (who the **** suggested getting rid of Matty? I mean I know Alex "Huge Honk" Kolinko performed well at times but he is still totally inconsistent)

Granville
Mullins
Popovic (let him stay fit. Did anyone see the stats on our performances when he played? He played like 19 games and we only lost 4, and drew 2 or something insane like that)
Fleming (best tackler at the club and streets ahead of Jamie Smith)

Gray
Riihilahti
Brown
Black

Freedman
Morrison

SUBS:

Kolinko, Symons, Smith, Rubins, Akinbiyi

Streatham man
28-05-2002, 06:54 PM
Best team yet.

Jaffa
28-05-2002, 07:05 PM
Virtually the team that got us to 10th last season :rolleyes:

Dartford Lad
28-05-2002, 07:35 PM
If I were TF I would try and offload the following players:

Frampton
Harrison
Rodger
Austin
Kirovski
Morrison will probably leave anyway.

I would take Berhalter off the transfer list.

I would sign:
Leon Knight on a season loan from Chelsea.
Cedric Carasso
Dean Gordon on a years contract.
Paul Evans, Ivar Ingimarsson, Darren Powell and Lloyd Owusu from Brentford.
Craig Hignett from Blackburn.

brighton_eagle
28-05-2002, 08:01 PM
Keep all our key players (clint, dougie etc) and sign Jim Magilton, and possibly a new defender.

Thats it.

GreatGonzo
28-05-2002, 08:59 PM
No-one seems to want to play Rubins, but then no-one seems to want to get rid of him either!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OKnotOK
28-05-2002, 09:05 PM
I actually want Rubins to get a good run out in the pre-season and see how he performs. If he does well then we need to find a way of fitting both him and Julian Gray into the team. Not sure exactly how that will work. Probably with one of the two playing as an attacking link-up player (which Jules did a couple of times last season).

I really think Rubins deserves a go -- but my team is on current state!

And I think the team we have is decent. I don't think there needs to be a whole lot of change. When confidence starts flowing, the team is capable of playing good football and contesting for a top 5 spot.

Ave Satani
28-05-2002, 09:42 PM
Didnt Deano have a loan spell at Cardiff who decided he wasnt good enough and sent him back? I think it would be a mistake bringing him back. Lets move on and remember him for the player he was and not bring him back and watch him struggle to be anything like the player he once was (David Hopkin syndrome!).

Cleon
29-05-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Ave Satani
Didnt Deano have a loan spell at Cardiff who decided he wasnt good enough and sent him back? I think it would be a mistake bringing him back. Lets move on and remember him for the player he was and not bring him back and watch him struggle to be anything like the player he once was (David Hopkin syndrome!).

I had the misfortune of watching Deano play for Cardiff against Reading last year, and he was at fault for both of Reading's goals. If he can't handle the second division, I don't think we should be even considering him if we hope to challenge for the Premiership.

I think that anybody who thinks we will get any type of transfer fee for any player being sold within the Nationwide League is losing it. We should not renew contracts on ANY of our out-of-contract players (Kirovski, Rodger etc.), in order to make sure our financial house is in order for the oncoming storm. We should consider our first priority to be to tie Freedman & Gray down to new contracts. Black, less so, this will be his season to prove himself. We will have to continue to pay Austin and Hopkin unless we can offload them on a free to some crazy Scottish club.

We should then see what offers we get for Clinton. He is great player, and I would love to keep him, but if we are not looking like challenging for promotion by December, we have to be realistic, and try to get as much as we can for him. There are only two years left on his contract after all. If we do lose him, we need to replace him with a QUALITY striker (ie. not Adebola, Owuso etc.) - Zamora would be my first choice.

We should, however, definitely be looking to offer Mullins a long term contract - he is a great player, I don't see why we cannot persuade him to stay at Palace.

If there is any money left over, I would not consider buying anybody for a fee at the moment. We would need a new midfielder, preferably one with a bit of class in attack. Eoin Jess at Bradford is available, and would be my first choice. Otherwise, perhaps Goldbaek will be realistic in his financial demands, or we can look to Paul Evans/Martin Rowlands. If there is no money left, then we need to try get Wayne Routledge to the level required as quickly as possible without damging his development.

If we can stay still, or move ourselves on just a little bit, we should move ahead of the competition in this division, who will be shedding players like there is no tomorrow... anybody think Bradford will survive next season? The depressing thought would be to consider our changes of survival if, by some miracle, we did get to the Premiership with this squad. :eek:

Jimbo ?
30-05-2002, 12:26 AM
it is really important that we keep the team we have together and add to it not replace it!
2 defenders 2 midfielders and we will be up there

hignett and jess
....and.....

rowlands evan would be good from brentford

brighton_eagle
30-05-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Cleon

I had the misfortune of watching Deano play for Cardiff against Reading last year, and he was at fault for both of Reading's goals. If he can't handle the second division, I don't think we should be even considering him if we hope to challenge for the Premiership.

I think that anybody who thinks we will get any type of transfer fee for any player being sold within the Nationwide League is losing it. We should not renew contracts on ANY of our out-of-contract players (Kirovski, Rodger etc.), in order to make sure our financial house is in order for the oncoming storm. We should consider our first priority to be to tie Freedman & Gray down to new contracts. Black, less so, this will be his season to prove himself. We will have to continue to pay Austin and Hopkin unless we can offload them on a free to some crazy Scottish club.

We should then see what offers we get for Clinton. He is great player, and I would love to keep him, but if we are not looking like challenging for promotion by December, we have to be realistic, and try to get as much as we can for him. There are only two years left on his contract after all. If we do lose him, we need to replace him with a QUALITY striker (ie. not Adebola, Owuso etc.) - Zamora would be my first choice.

We should, however, definitely be looking to offer Mullins a long term contract - he is a great player, I don't see why we cannot persuade him to stay at Palace.

If there is any money left over, I would not consider buying anybody for a fee at the moment. We would need a new midfielder, preferably one with a bit of class in attack. Eoin Jess at Bradford is available, and would be my first choice. Otherwise, perhaps Goldbaek will be realistic in his financial demands, or we can look to Paul Evans/Martin Rowlands. If there is no money left, then we need to try get Wayne Routledge to the level required as quickly as possible without damging his development.

If we can stay still, or move ourselves on just a little bit, we should move ahead of the competition in this division, who will be shedding players like there is no tomorrow... anybody think Bradford will survive next season? The depressing thought would be to consider our changes of survival if, by some miracle, we did get to the Premiership with this squad. :eek:

Most sensible posting on this thread award..... :p

I would agree about Clinton. We don't need to sell him this summer, so lets hold on to him, at least for the start of the season, and see what happens. Ideally, I would like to see us offering him a long contract too, but I'm not sure he would accept (no reflection on his loyalty, just his ambition).

I honestly think that if we can add a solid, match running midfeilder to our squad we should be challenging for an automatic spot next season. As you point out, other clubs are in the same, if not a far worse, position than us. Whether or not we stay up in the Premiership is another question, but we would enjoy the extra income at least, and if we added to the squad sensibly, we shouldn't find ourselves in a perilious position if we did come straight back down.

Streatham man
30-05-2002, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Jaffa
Virtually the team that got us to 10th last season :rolleyes:

I disagree. Brown would be a major signing that could make an enormous difference over the course of a season. I don't think this year's team (if we can keep it together, which should be a priority) is that far off from being a promotion contender or champion. You think that one or two of the right signings (if we can keep our current squad together) wouldn't improve the team?

Streatham man
30-05-2002, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by OKnotOK
I actually want Rubins to get a good run out in the pre-season and see how he performs. If he does well then we need to find a way of fitting both him and Julian Gray into the team. Not sure exactly how that will work. Probably with one of the two playing as an attacking link-up player (which Jules did a couple of times last season).

I really think Rubins deserves a go -- but my team is on current state!

And I think the team we have is decent. I don't think there needs to be a whole lot of change. When confidence starts flowing, the team is capable of playing good football and contesting for a top 5 spot.

Correct -- as long as we find a top notch, creative midfielder. Which you've added in Brown.

Streatham man
30-05-2002, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle

Most sensible posting on this thread award..... :p

I would agree about Clinton. We don't need to sell him this summer, so lets hold on to him, at least for the start of the season, and see what happens. Ideally, I would like to see us offering him a long contract too, but I'm not sure he would accept (no reflection on his loyalty, just his ambition).

I honestly think that if we can add a solid, match running midfeilder to our squad we should be challenging for an automatic spot next season. As you point out, other clubs are in the same, if not a far worse, position than us. Whether or not we stay up in the Premiership is another question, but we would enjoy the extra income at least, and if we added to the squad sensibly, we shouldn't find ourselves in a perilious position if we did come straight back down.

Cleon and Brighton Eagle are spot on. To the rest of the BBS: isn't it obvious what the club's priorities should be?

brighton_eagle
30-05-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Streatham man

I disagree. Brown would be a major signing that could make an enormous difference over the course of a season. I don't think this year's team (if we can keep it together, which should be a priority) is that far off from being a promotion contender or champion. You think that one or two of the right signings (if we can keep our current squad together) wouldn't improve the team?

And apart from anything else, I don't think the division will be any stronger next season. In fact, if anything it will be weaker.

Neil, yes, another one!
30-05-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Axie

see, there are advantages to not going up - Bruce would have bought Savage to Palace - how bad would that have been....