PDA

View Full Version : Sweden training ground bust up!!!

sydney eagle
23-05-2002, 04:19 PM
Good news for England:p

http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1052481,00.html

Arsenal's Freddie Ljungberg and Olof Mellberg of Aston Villa have been involved in a training ground bust-up during a Sweden practise session in Japan.

The brawl errupted after the Arsenal midfielder was tackled by Erik Edman.

Aston Villa's Mellberg came in late and Ljungberg reacted angrily, wrestling his national colleague to the ground.

Daniel Andersson, who was trying to separate the pair, was swept to the ground in the toussle, before it was finally ended by Magnus Hedman and Anders Svensson.

The duo eventually stood up and shook hands. Ljungberg said: "You can't tolerate tackles like that, you have to respond."

"Such things happen when you play. He was a bit late on me a few times. You can't tolerate that, but it's forgotten now."

Mats Engqvist, a spokesman for the Swedish FA, said: "We are not used to this, but it is close to the World Cup and they are getting competitive. I am sure that our national coaches Tommy (Soderberg) and Lasse (Lagerback) will sort this out."

brighton_eagle
23-05-2002, 04:26 PM
No biggie....just a good bit of competitiveness.

Bad news for England more like.

23-05-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
No biggie....just a good bit of competitiveness.

Bad news for England more like.

I agree, with Gerrard out, Beckham doubtful, have a bad feeling that Sweden could simply outcompete England in midfield. Unlike Keane the Swedish players seem to be directing their frustrations in the right way.

g23
23-05-2002, 05:55 PM
Sverige! Sverige! Sverige!

Daniel_Nash
23-05-2002, 07:10 PM
I'd get annoyed if a team mate was kicking lumps out of me in a training game!

Not sure if it affects the game vs England in any way though, sure they might be a bit feisty but that's normal. Danny Mills is always feisty, Scholes is too!

Shame Keane had to be such a big girl about his little problem, pathetic.

Son of Selhurst
23-05-2002, 07:17 PM
Me Villa mate had just voted Mellberg has his new favourite player!

Levski
23-05-2002, 07:20 PM
Fantastic video of the 'bust-up' as they call it! Quality stuff!
Isn't it great how the global technological revolution can bring us such important world events up on our office computer monitor!

Daniel_Nash
23-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Levski
Fantastic video of the 'bust-up' as they call it! Quality stuff!
Isn't it great how the global technological revolution can bring us such important world events up on our office computer monitor!

Where from? where can i see this video?

hellsbells
23-05-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Daniel_Nash

Where from? where can i see this video?

Sky Sports news in my cupboard has been playing it

Levski
23-05-2002, 07:27 PM
Go to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sports

or the sky sports link at the top of this thread.
Both have a link to video downloads.

The Omen
23-05-2002, 08:29 PM
He definetly wasn't going for the ball!!!! What a dodgy tackle - no wonder Ljungberg was annoyed.

Real Media Link:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sport/0205/23/m0sp020523training.ram

Benzhiyi
23-05-2002, 09:58 PM
Quality. I f***ing hate Ljungberg, Mellberg should have ripped that stupid red line out of his head. Well worth getting sent home for!