PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane sent home!

JohnA
22-05-2002, 12:36 PM
He has an argument with Packie Bonner over a non-issue (goalkeepers in practice games). Then withdraws from the tournament. Colin Healy called in. Keane reverses his decision. Healy left out again. Even worse according to RTÉ news this morning Keane also said he had retired from international football.

sydney eagle
22-05-2002, 12:40 PM
I hate Roy Keane:veryangry

Boris the charltonhater
22-05-2002, 01:35 PM
Roy Keane is overated anyway. If he plays he will just be sent of first game.

Del Gland
22-05-2002, 01:38 PM
Poor Roy just couldn't grasp the concept of playing "3 and in"!!

AddiscombeEagle
22-05-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Boris

overated, are you sure?

Daniel_Nash
22-05-2002, 01:58 PM
Oooh touchy touchy Roy!

What an idiot he'd be to leave over such a pointless thing!

Daddy Long
22-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Keane has a massively over-inflated ego due to the fact that he knows he's indispensable to both Man Ure and Ireland. If Ferguson had punished him over his outbursts in the same way that he has punished players like Stam and Yorke then perhaps Keane wouldn't be such a tosser.

Wol
22-05-2002, 02:16 PM
Somwhow I just cant see how anyone can call Roy Keane overrated, I would like to see any team try to replace him. He may have a big ego but so would most people if they were as good as him.

budgie
22-05-2002, 02:17 PM

Yeah, one of the worst players in the Premiership.

:rolleyes:

King Tubby
22-05-2002, 02:36 PM
He's an absolute bellend, but that's what makes him so good isn't it? He's a decent quality player, but not exactly technically gifted is he? It's the mental edge that really sets him apart.

New_Malden_Eagle
22-05-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by King Tubby
He's an absolute bellend, but that's what makes him so good isn't it? He's a decent quality player, but not exactly technically gifted is he? It's the mental edge that really sets him apart.
Yes when that mental edge translates into an insatiable will to win, to lead by example, and generally be a tallisman and leader to his teammates. However it is his frequent excursions across that line (eg. tackle on Haaland last season, general behaviour towards referees, Ferguson-like non-acceptance of being fairly on the losing side) that make him a complete tw@t. If he could curb those he would be an incredible footballer. But as he is I can't stand him.

Son of Selhurst
22-05-2002, 03:14 PM
He's a thug.

NO1FAN
22-05-2002, 04:35 PM
He's back in the squad now!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Keane in World Cup quit U-turn

By Ananova

Roy Keane sensationally pulled out of the Republic of Ireland's World Cup campaign - then changed his mind hours later.

Republic manager Mick McCarthy even telephoned Celtic midfielder Colin Healy and told him he was calling him into the squad to replace his skipper, but then had to ring him back and tell him Keane was staying after all.

The drama unfolded at the team hotel on the island in the Western Pacific where they are acclimatising before flying on to Japan on Friday. It happened on the last day McCarthy would have been able to make changes to his World Cup squad according to Fifa rules.

McCarthy explained: "Roy is not out of the World Cup. I spoke to him after training yesterday and he had concerns over his injuries - his knee. He was going to go home after training yesterday.

"He said to me it was personal reasons. I don't know what they were because he didn't give them to me. He'd made his mind up and nothing I said was going to change it."

"We had a number of discussions, but then he spoke to other people back at home and that resolved whatever problems there were.

"I know he is worried about his knee, he has treatment on it all the time. That is an ongoing thing."

McCarthy dismissed suggestions that Keane wanted to quit the squad following an incident with goalkeeping coach Packie Bonner after training on Tuesday.

Keane was reportedly angry because the Republic's three goalkeepers - Shay Given, Dean Kiely and Alan Kelly - did not take part in five-a-side practice matches.

Bonner had worked the keepers for 40 minutes before the rest of the World Cup squad arrived and decided to rest them - much to the consternation of the squad captain.

Aggrieved that outfield players had to stand in goal and try to save the ball with their feet, Keane clashed with coach Ian Evans, Bonner and Kelly before he was calmed by McCarthy.

Keane was first to board the team coach afterwards, but McCarthy said: "There is some suggestion this is all to do with a bust-up at training, but that is way off the mark.

"There were suggestions he had a scuffle in training, and I wasn't even aware of that - Packie has bigger arguments with his lad over his homework, it is a regular occurrence in training.

"I asked him if it was that, or anything else, but he assured me it was personal."

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
22-05-2002, 04:43 PM
Now there's a man who obviously puts pride in his country over personal pride :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Elephant with mouse gyp
22-05-2002, 06:43 PM
The great thing is the prospects, already high, of Keane getting sent off are now close to 100%. But for what?

Lumping one of his own team mates?

Head-butting the ref?

Wearing his shorts too high up his fat arse?

PeterH
22-05-2002, 06:48 PM
He has been frumping for sometime. Doesn't like travelling outside of first class, doesn't show for half the games. Not quite the little ol'Ireland team spirit evident in 1990 & 1994, bet some of the lesser players, the workers that are just grateful to be there really idolise him. Shame though Clinton doesn't need lessions in petulance from this 'senior' professional.

What with Becks, Figo and Keane there are a lot of one man teams in this tourno.

JohnA
23-05-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by JohnA
Even worse according to RTÉ news this morning Keane also said he had retired from international football.

Well he gave RTÉ an interview this morning our time. He quits international football at the end of the tournament.

firesign
23-05-2002, 12:30 PM
As I've mentioned on other threads I fancied Ireland to do well in the WC. However, I don't think this is going to help things at all - perhaps they should have let him go. He's been close to the edge for quite a while and something seems to have tipped him over.

Sunny Fan
23-05-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by firesign
As I've mentioned on other threads I fancied Ireland to do well in the WC. However, I don't think this is going to help things at all - perhaps they should have let him go. He's been close to the edge for quite a while and something seems to have tipped him over.
Show me the edge I'll give him an extra nudge

The Omen
23-05-2002, 04:00 PM
Roy Keane has been sent home AGAIN! This time for good......

Ireland's chances fly home in my oppinion too.

Cleon
23-05-2002, 04:02 PM
Roy sent home - no coming back!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

New_Malden_Eagle
23-05-2002, 04:08 PM
What a fcuking tw@t.
I feel really sorry for Ireland

markholmes1991
23-05-2002, 04:12 PM
Roy Keane has been sensationally axed from Mick McCarthy's Republic of Ireland squad after his public criticism of their World Cup preparations.
Volatile Manchester United skipper Keane has had an uneasy relationship with the Football Association of Ireland and its coaching staff, in particular McCarthy, and recently threatened to walk out on the squad at the 11th hour.
Keane dramatically pulled out of the squad on Tuesday night - before reversing his decision with only minutes to spare before FIFA's deadline.
However, in a new twist, Keane has been sent home and is now likely to quit the international arena after admitting this World Cup would be his last.
Keane had earlier questioned McCarthy's decision to take his squad to the Western Pacific island of Saipan to acclimatise ahead of the tournament, saying: "The training pitch, the travel arrangements, even getting through the airport when we were leaving, the combination of all those things.
"Yeah, I'd had enough. I'm not asking too much for everyone to want what's best. If it's a crime, I'm guilty. I'm as Irish as anybody, but this has been going on for years. Training facilities, travel arrangements. It's easy to pass the buck.
"Everyone here does it. You've got to prepare properly though, it's hard enough as it is. If I opened my mouth every time there's something wrong, I'd need my own newspaper," Keane told Ireland.com.

firesign
23-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Bang goes my £5.00 bets on Ireland :sob: :sob: :sob:

GUCCI Eagle
23-05-2002, 04:23 PM
Roy Keane runs like a girl.

Sunny Fan
23-05-2002, 04:25 PM
Keane quote of the day "I'm not being a prima donna."

Ouch that Hurt!
23-05-2002, 04:29 PM
here (http://www.setanta.com/story.jsp?story=WCContent;id-41664)

bucketbongeagle
23-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by firesign
Bang goes my £5.00 bets on Ireland :sob: :sob: :sob:

as I just said on the other thread I just got my bet on 1 Germany 2 Cameroon pretty sharpish before they'd had time to change the odds. Surely Ireland are screwed now, feel sorry for them what a complete and utter tw@t Keane is.

New_Malden_Eagle
23-05-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by bucketbongeagle

as I just said on the other thread I just got my bet on 1 Germany 2 Cameroon pretty sharpish before they'd had time to change the odds. Surely Ireland are screwed now, feel sorry for them what a complete and utter tw@t Keane is.

What odds did you get on 1st germany 2nd cameroun?

Ruskin Old Boy
23-05-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by New_Malden_Eagle

About a million to one ;)

bucketbongeagle
23-05-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by New_Malden_Eagle

13/5 not amazing but worth a £5 surely ? If I could find an eachway bet with a decent price I would slap a bit more on it's got to be these 2 hasn't it ?

New_Malden_Eagle
23-05-2002, 04:53 PM

13/5 not amazing but worth a £5 surely ? If I could find an eachway bet with a decent price I would slap a bit more on it's got to be these 2 hasn't it ?

I think the odds must have gone in already on Cameroun - Ireland are now evens not to make the second round.

welshneil
23-05-2002, 04:57 PM
Ha Ha The tosser's been axed!!! The bloke is a thug...have a vague recollection of him stamping on a Palace player's head (can't remember who) back in the 90's!!! When an idiot like him quits it's just good riddance. Not a great example to be a club captain let alone National!

oli
23-05-2002, 04:59 PM
I think they might still do alright to be honest. I reckon being sent home has just raised team spirit by about one hundred percent. From the noises he was making in his interviews doesnt sound like he mixed with anyone else and spent most of the time dissing the setup or other players. They must know that everyone is going to write them off know, big Mick will just use it to wind them up before the games. Hatrick for Clinton against Germany !

ozeagle
23-05-2002, 05:00 PM
another talented fock who thinks he's bigger than he is, poor roy, the pitch was too hard, hin ankles hurt, had to call poor daddy fergie and have a whinge....

what a turd.

ruined irelands chances off his own boot (sic)

:hmph:

Boris the charltonhater
23-05-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by welshneil
Ha Ha The tosser's been axed!!! The bloke is a thug...have a vague recollection of him stamping on a Palace player's head (can't remember who) back in the 90's!!!

I think your thinking about 1995 when he stamped on Gareth Southgate's head. Darren Patterson got sent off in that game with Keane and they both got identical suspensions despite the fact Patterson did nothing.

Eagle Kneevil
23-05-2002, 05:09 PM
despite the fact Patterson did nothing.

That'll be in the playing sense of the word, then.:o

JohnA
23-05-2002, 05:11 PM
What a Clown. seeing he's from the Northside of Cork City they should isolate him David Blaine on top of the TV / telecom Mast in Gurranbrather.

The silver lining is maybe all the little kids in Cork will stop wearing Man U tops.

Respect to Mick McCarthy though. He has isolated a problem, I hope he can gel the team now. Seeing he's not really hung around with the rest of the squad off the pitch this might not be such a problem

anti-addick
23-05-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by PeterH

What with Becks, Figo and Keane there are a lot of one man teams in this tourno.

Beckham would never act like this. The sad thing is that it'll all be justified as Keane gets a heroes welcome for quitting. Beckham was rightly seen as a Judas traitor for being sent off and worked his way to a status worthy of his appointment of England Captain in the end, and i'm proud to say he's English. McCarthy was right, Keane is a brat, i'd have never accepted him back in the first place, an embarassment and traitor to their nation.

I reckon he's overrated. Tenacious, hardworking and an accurate passer/finisher, but he doesn't create and ooze the class on the pitch like other names held in such high regard like Beckham, Gascoigne, Zidane etc, etc, etc. Ireland will do just as well without the thug.

Sunny Fan
23-05-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by anti-addick

Beckham was rightly seen as a Judas traitor for being sent off and worked his way to a status worthy of his appointment of England Captain in the end, and i'm proud to say he's English.

Sorry to digress, but the treatment of Beckham was appalling, how you can say that was justified I'll never know.

zonin2000
23-05-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by PeterH
Clinton doesn't need lessions in petulance from this 'senior' professional.

Exactly, which is why I'm so glad Keane has been sent home. Clinton now sees that even a player as big as Roy Keane has to watch his mouth.

I do think that Clinton is a good boy though, he means well. He's learning fast and I really hope he has a good World Cup. I think I'll cry if he scores.

JohnA
23-05-2002, 05:37 PM
The words of Mick....

"There has been an uneasy feeling around the place for a few days. I was asked today for my comments about remarks he made in a newspaper article and I don't want to be doing that throughout the World Cup because doing tit for tat in the media is not my way.

I called a meeting at 7.30pm (1030am British time). I got everyone together because I felt it was important to air any grievances among the players or staff.

I asked anybody to make their comments and unfortunately it became a slanging match. I cannot and will not tolerate being spoken to with that level of abuse being thrown at me so I sent him home.

We all know his ability but when he makes a public and open show of his opinions and makes such public criticisms everybody starts talking about it.

He is one of the best players in the world but he is a disruptive influence. I asked him as captain to give his opinions and I was prepared to be reasonable and rational.

I know this is one of the biggest stories of the World Cup and it is my decision and I stand by it 100%.

You don't see too many complaints from anyone else here. But sometimes Roy sees the world through his eyes only.

I did it with the best interests of the team at heart when I said he should go home. I am tired of it. When he wanted to go home the other day he said it was for personal reasons. I said `is it me? Is it the training ground? Is it the flight? Is it the media circus at the airport?

But he just said `it's none of these, it's personal, it's me, it's me'.

All the players here have a had a great time relaxing but maybe Roy has missed the point. This is a weight off my mind. I came here to enjoy the World Cup and I was stopping enjoying it. But from tomorrow I am going to start enjoying it again.

As a player, a coach, and a person I will not tolerate the things he said to me. This is a huge decision but I am happy to go to the World Cup one man down rather than with a man who shows utter disregard and disrespect for me.

Neil the Eagle
23-05-2002, 05:42 PM
Fair play, Mick...

anti-addick
23-05-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Sunny Fan

Sorry to digress, but the treatment of Beckham was appalling, how you can say that was justified I'll never know.

Keeps the ship in order and shows players that it's the Nation that comes first. The moment that someone isn't humbled after letting their country down then you have a 'Roy Keane' situation. Look at the result, Beckham KNEW what he'd face and has come through it to be one of the best leaders England have ever had, doing us all proud. It sorts the men out from the boys.

We don't have a World Class SAS from being all namby pamby to the Parachute Regiment do we?

On that link there is a poll where you can lay the blame. Not surprisingly (and this is why Keane is like he is) Roy Keane is not being blamed by the people, Mick McCarthy and FAI are.

wedgetail
23-05-2002, 05:54 PM
This could be good for Clinton as McCarthy will now have to play Duff in midfield.

Elephant with mouse gyp
23-05-2002, 05:55 PM
Mick McCarthy has done a great job. He's brought more football into Ireland's play and knocked Holland out, for chissake. What more does Keane want? Moaning about facilities is a joke - bet Ireland have a much better backroom set-up than Cameroon, or even Argentina, who have suffered from the economic collapse.

Once Keane said he was quitting international football after the World Cup they should have booted him out. It's not as if Ireland are going to win the thing, so Keane's absence is not the same as, say, Veron or Zidane being left out. It will give them a great chance to design a team without him. I'm not absolutely sure of this, but I think their results when playing without Keane in qualification have been pretty good.

biggus mickus
23-05-2002, 05:55 PM
Well done Mick. It doesn't matter who the player is, the team must come first. If I was Irish, There would be steam coming from my ears. Big headed fool.

JohnA
23-05-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Moaning about facilities is a joke

Its a 5 star hotel! Chosen by the FAI set-up & Mick for suitability.Mick doesn't want to screw up by staying at a Mickey Mouse set up. Its common sense.

AJ
23-05-2002, 06:19 PM
Hat off to Mick, not letting one player dictate to you. Keane is such a fool. He could have ended his International carear on a high. Now, no one will remember him....and that's probably justified.
This may help Ireland, as the opposition may now underrate them.

JJ
23-05-2002, 06:23 PM
BBC are saying Mick McCarthy's patience has finally snapped with him, and he has sent him home thus ending his international career. Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke! :)

(Obviously I still hope Clinton gets a game and a chance to score a few...)

JJ
23-05-2002, 06:27 PM
oops - sorry Mr Moderator - I did look for an existing thread before starting mine but couldn't find it - I consider myself admonished!

Popester
23-05-2002, 06:31 PM
Well played Mr McCarthy.

If only more club managers were willing to show such balls. Star players in the Premiership get away with murder because they are currently less expendable than the managers and they know it.

Polish Prancer
23-05-2002, 06:52 PM
Well done Mick
Everyone who meets Mick always seems to say they have respect for the man.
A true Gent,
Roy Keane on the other hand....

bucketbongeagle
23-05-2002, 07:05 PM
What a complete nob head, reminds me of Gullit a few years ago, he had a bust up with the dutch coach, think it was Rinus Michels, went off in a huff and refused to play because he couldn't have his own way. I hate Gullit for that, I already hated Keane, Im just glad millions of others including the majority of his country will now be joining me/us whatever. Personally I think it's unbelievable, I don't care if they were sleeping in tents, you have been chosen to captain your country in a world cup surely the greatest honour any footballer could dream of, keanes pathetic behaviour has seriously let his country down arguebly at the time they needed him most. Unforgivable. I suspect it will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Oh and I don't think it can be compared with the Becks thing, he was a kid who got sent off for making a trivial foul. The punishment he took was rediculous, although I have to agree that it may welll have made him into a stronger man today.

Levski
23-05-2002, 07:11 PM
This is totally incredible news. One of the best players of the tournament has been axed, and he totally deserves it.

I can't stand primadonnas. There is no justification for behaving in this dreadful way. I hope he feels proud of himself, as he has lost his country their one truly star player. Brilliant, well done, mate.

But hats off to Mick. Most managers would beg to have him back. He deserves it. Been mouthing off for too long and has been encouraged to as Ferguson's (spit) favourite boy, as someone else said at the top of this thread.

Daniel_Nash
23-05-2002, 07:12 PM
I have a feeling Keane won't play for Ireland again, he's shown himself to be such a gimp. Few days before the biggest tournament of his life and instead of doing what the coaches say, no matter how silly it might seem - never know, might be fun or relaxing or come in handy one day, he throws all his toys out of the pram and onto the floor before storming off.

Jim Cannons Moustache
23-05-2002, 07:12 PM
what a ****, Ireland worked their arses off for 2 years to qualify from a group with Portugal and Holland then he goes and screws it all up and destroys morale in the camp just when he should be working to bring them together just because they dont train the way he wants.
Unforgiveable, should never be allowed to play for his country again.

lightweight
23-05-2002, 07:15 PM
Ireland skipper Roy Keane has been sent home from the World Cup finals after criticising the Republic's preparations.

g23
23-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by lightweight
Ireland skipper Roy Keane has been sent home from the World Cup finals after criticising the Republic's preparations.

Bloody moderators :clown:

anti-addick
23-05-2002, 07:31 PM
I hope he flys back using Korean Airlines, the most dangerous in the world. ****

David of Kent
23-05-2002, 08:08 PM
I wonder if there is any truth in the rumour that News of the Screws are going to publish details of an affair that he is supposed to be having. Allegedly Mrs Keane is insisting on her man returning home.

Now don't shoot me down boys this is totally a rumour at this stage, but it would explain a lot :eek:

lightweight
23-05-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by g23

Bloody moderators :clown:

I looked and didn't see the other thread! Must be working too hard!! :eek:

brighton_eagle
23-05-2002, 08:34 PM
Keeps the ship in order and shows players that it's the Nation that comes first. The moment that someone isn't humbled after letting their country down then you have a 'Roy Keane' situation. Look at the result, Beckham KNEW what he'd face and has come through it to be one of the best leaders England have ever had, doing us all proud. It sorts the men out from the boys.

To use one of your favourite words....bollox.

Beckham took Hoddle's flak. Simple as that. And the 'great' Glenn Hoddle was happy for it to be that way. He even actively encouraged it. It's debatable that he should even have been sent off.

The treatment Beckham got, from press, pudits and fans alike, was nothing short of disgusting. It really is as simple as that, and it can't be justified by the fact that he actually responded well to it, in the long run.

This is the same sort of gutter journalism that also produces headlines along the line of "2 world wars and 1 world cup' whenever we play Germany.

anti-addick
23-05-2002, 08:46 PM
Beckham got sent off as per the rules of the game. He was seen directly by the referee. The fact the the kick was weak and that Simeone made a meal of it was irrelevant. England were severely weakened by his act.
It is also irrelevant to say that we'd never have won anyway, if this is the case then there should be no World Cup, just a playoff between the 2 leaders of the Fifa rankings every 4 years.
Beckham's act at that time was a disgrace to his country and even if he didn't come through it as he did it has served a warning to others that English pride is bigger than them. The press only fed off of the anger of every non-manc footy fan in England - I rarely read a newspaper and I hated him after he'd let us down - don't try and tell me I was influenced by the press.

Sunny Fan
23-05-2002, 09:10 PM
He made a mistake that produced a pretty dodgy red card. To expand that and call him a "judas traitor" is ridiculous and you know it.

To then condone the treatment that was meted out to him afterwards is indefensible. Did he deserve tabloid dart-boards, effigies, family being hounded, etc?

brighton_eagle
23-05-2002, 09:16 PM
Beckham got sent off as per the rules of the game. He was seen directly by the referee. The fact the the kick was weak and that Simeone made a meal of it was irrelevant. England were severely weakened by his act.

Unsure.....players have done far worse and not been sent off or even booked. I would agree we were weakened by his sending off, but largely because we didn't have another player capable of producing the long diagonal passes for Owen to run on to (anyone say 'long-ball').

It is also irrelevant to say that we'd never have won anyway, if this is the case then there should be no World Cup, just a playoff between the 2 leaders of the Fifa rankings every 4 years.

I don't believe I said that at all.

Beckham's act at that time was a disgrace to his country and even if he didn't come through it as he did it has served a warning to others that English pride is bigger than them. The press only fed off of the anger of every non-manc footy fan in England - I rarely read a newspaper and I hated him after he'd let us down - don't try and tell me I was influenced by the press.

Sadly, the large majority of 'football fans' are moronic idiots who actually know very little about the game. These are the people who would give a player like Beckham **** anyway. I wouldn't class you in that category, from what i know of you from the BBS, but to 'hate' someone for such a reason is fairly pathetic.

JohnA
23-05-2002, 09:28 PM
From The Irish Times -

The FAI today said that they backed the decision by manager "Mick McCarthy and the players" to send captain Roy Keane home from the island of Saipan.

At a specially organised press conference at the FAI headquarters at Merrion Square this afternoon Honoury Treasurer John Delaney read out a statement which said that they "viewed the events with great regret but that the decision of the manager is fully supported by the organisation (FAI).

The statement went on to say that the decision to send Roy home followed a team meeting in Saipan which was attended by "the entire playing staff and coaching staff".

From RTÉ -

May 23, 2002

(16:20) The Football Association of Ireland had defended the decision of the Republic of Ireland soccer team manager Mick McCarthy to send the side's captain Roy Keane home from the training centre on Saipan, just nine days before his team's first match in the tournament.

Speaking a short time ago at a news conference at the Football Association of Ireland's headquarters in Dublin, the FAI Honorary Treasurer John Delaney said his organisation fully supported Mick McCarthy's decision.

He said the FAI was concerned with the well-being of the entire squad. Mr Delaney also defended the preparations and resources for the World Cup provided by the FAI.

McCarthy news conference
Mick McCarthy told a press conference that he had sent the captain home. He said he and the squad could not take any more disruption.

Other senior players in the squad have supported the managers decision. Niall Quinn, Alan Kelly and Steve Staunton also spoke at the news conference.

Quinn said that there had been talk of bravery, but running to the newspapers was not brave. Alan Kelly said that Keane had stepped over the line. The new Republic of Ireland captain, Steve Staunton, said that Keane's behaviour was unacceptable.

It is too late to add a replacement for Keane to the Ireland squad. The 22 names submitted to FIFA cannot be altered.

Announcing his retirement from the international scene, Keane had told RTÉ that it was hard to work with certain people at international level.

He said the training facilities at the team's pre-World Cup base in Saipan were “shocking” and “worse than a car park”. He said he wanted to do his country proud, but that it was difficult to work with people who did not have the same aims as him.

He had already threatened to return home from the tournament earlier this week after a row with staff at their training ground in Saipan, but was persuaded to stay on by Manchester United manager, Alex Ferguson.

Delaney said that that the actions of Keane were a bridge too far and that tensions between Keane and McCarthy were running so high that in the end it was inevitable that the Corkman would have to be sent home.

He regretted the decision which he said was supported by the players and staff alike but stressed that "the primary concern of the FAI is the well-being of the entire squad of Irish players".

The FAI President Mr Milo Corcoran added that: "We must put this unfortunate affair behind us and get on with the job in hand in the best interests of Irish soccer and its loyal supporters."

If you want you can listen to Keane whinging on RTÉ

http://streaming2.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/worldcup.html

welshneil
23-05-2002, 09:37 PM
At the end of the day NOBODY is bigger than the team, Well done Mick McCarthy. Met the Eire manager on a train recently and he seemed a genuinely nice bloke who took alot of time to talk to the kids. He's the kind of example youngsters need today not idiots like Keane!

Jim Cannons Moustache
23-05-2002, 09:45 PM
[B]It is too late to add a replacement for Keane to the Ireland squad. The 22 names submitted to FIFA cannot be altered.

so keane also manages to time this so that not only does he let eveyone else down he also robs Colin Healy of his chance of representing his country in the worlds biggest tournament.
Disgraceful.:grrr:

JohnA
23-05-2002, 10:41 PM
More audio threads...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/morningireland/morningireland1b.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/newsatone/news1pm1a.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/newsatone/news1pm1b.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/newsatone/news1pm1c.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/newsatone/news1pm1d.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/newsatone/news1pm1e.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/newsatone/news1pm1f.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/1news/1news1a.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/1news/1news1b.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/1news/1news1c.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/1news/1news1e.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/1news/1news1f.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/1news/1news1h.ram

Sunny Fan
23-05-2002, 10:43 PM
More audio threads...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/morningireland/morningireland1b.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/newsatone/news1pm1a.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/newsatone/news1pm1b.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/newsatone/news1pm1c.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/newsatone/news1pm1d.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/newsatone/news1pm1e.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/newsatone/news1pm1f.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/1news/1news1a.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/1news/1news1b.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/1news/1news1c.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/1news/1news1e.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/1news/1news1f.ram
http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0523/1news/1news1h.ram
Big news over there is it?

Strathclyde Eagle
23-05-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Jim Cannons Moustache

so keane also manages to time this so that not only does he let eveyone else down he also robs Colin Healy of his chance of representing his country in the worlds biggest tournament.
Disgraceful.:grrr:
Colin Healy's the player I feel sorry for in all this. He's done so much (would you go on loan to Coventry?) to try and get himself into the World Cup squad, and then he's in and out of the squad as if he's a one-man Hokey-Cokey machine.

Steve Staunton as new captain, another former Palace player. All the best Stevie!

Pat of the Palace
23-05-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Strathclyde Eagle

Steve Staunton as new captain, another former Palace player. All the best Stevie!
Agree 100%, you could not hope to have a better professional at either club or country.
Keane is the Tony Drago (and about as talented!) of the football world and Staunton the Stephen Hendry.

anti-addick
23-05-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle

I don't believe I said that at all.

Sadly, the large majority of 'football fans' are moronic idiots who actually know very little about the game. These are the people who would give a player like Beckham **** anyway. I wouldn't class you in that category, from what i know of you from the BBS, but to 'hate' someone for such a reason is fairly pathetic.

1. You didn't say it, I was making a point rather than quoting you

2. I never buy the papers, didn't realise they'd been so pathetic as to put his face in a dart board. That is out of order I agree. I still however believe that he should have been disgraced, but obviously not to the extent that some gutter merchants took it.

3. Thanks for keeping me out of the moron category. I'd like to think that I know a good player and Beckham certainly is that. He's thankfully in a better squad and with a better manager this time.

Keane, I maintain, is overated. People sometimes feed off people telling them how good somebody is. Republic fans love him as much for his manc roots and therefore won't say a bad word about the bloke. Personally I put him in the same class as Danny Murphy or Lee Bowyer, sorry, i'm just yet to see any 'magic' out of him.

Gooders
23-05-2002, 11:42 PM
What a knob-end. Presumably, when he has a go at the laid-back attitude of some of the lesser players in the squad and says "that's why they're playing where they are" it's people like Clint that he's having a go at. No one is bigger than the team, even Roy Keane.

And those of you betting on Cameroon - this is the team that haven't even turned up yet and are now running a week late because of arguments about how much they'll get paid for playing. Haven't heard that sort of thing about Cameroon before have we. :rolleyes:

anti-addick
23-05-2002, 11:54 PM
I still think Ireland are worth a bet to win the group at 4-1

Chobham Eagle
24-05-2002, 01:39 AM

I think your thinking about 1995 when he stamped on Gareth Southgate's head. Darren Patterson got sent off in that game with Keane and they both got identical suspensions despite the fact Patterson did nothing.

What a disgusting incident that was. Keane's been my least liked football player ever since.

Well done Mick McCarthy!

firesign
24-05-2002, 02:26 AM
When I first heard the news I was gutted to be honest. I thought it had ruined Ireland's chances of progressing past the 1st round. However, having heard more I've now changed my mind. Keane is clearly a disruptive influence - everyone know he's a nutter but he's usually managed to channel effectively for Ireland. McCarthy has done the right thing and I expect the mood in the Irish camp to be much improved - though my £2 on Ireland winning the group is probably less likely. So much will depend on the opening match against Cameroon. And I've just got back from Merry Hill where I bought a complete Ireland kit for my son for just £16 :p - on the way home he said to me "can I wear this to the Jubillee party at school next week?" :eek:

selhurstparkflyer
24-05-2002, 02:49 AM
I am glad he has been sent home.

I have never liked the blok;. I dont care how he good at football he is, he is a thug and a bully and the sooner managers, clubs and footy associations stand up to the likes of him, the better.

pete eagle
24-05-2002, 03:09 AM
hopefully one day Vieira will break his legs after outclassing him in the game. Roy Keane is an excellent player but no-one is bigger than the team and Ireland have proved that they can get results without him (vs Denmark in a friendly and also I believe in one of their world cup qualifiers against either Holland or Portugal)

jone-zee
24-05-2002, 03:18 AM
Selfish Colchie(sp)**** who needs to take a good look at himself. Dispised him since the semi in 95 when he bismerched a Dead Mans Name.
Wanted to go first class instead of Club well pay for it yourself YOU can afford it arsehole. Credit to the Irish Management for showing him he is not bigger than the team. The red nosed sweaty has also got a part in this for building this piece of ***** up to be something he aint.

Keano...The Worlds greatest tournament is going to be a better place FACT:p

pete eagle
24-05-2002, 03:21 AM
Interesting points about Ferguson, he has allowed Keane to speak his mind too much and lets him get away with anything and personally i don't think it was good for Keane because I think he's mentally unstable

PeterH
24-05-2002, 03:23 AM
Keane, I maintain, is overated. People sometimes feed off people telling them how good somebody is. Republic fans love him as much for his manc roots and therefore won't say a bad word about the bloke. Personally I put him in the same class as Danny Murphy or Lee Bowyer, sorry, i'm just yet to see any 'magic' out of him.

I think this incident proves it. I never forgave him for stamping on Southgates chest in a very sensitive match. The cheating cowardly ref also sent one of our players off and should never have refereed again.

I digress.

When you listen to most Irish supporters and Man supporters they tell you he is one of the very best players in the world. The Irish dismiss Becks out of hand in favour of this lout that cannot stop fouling. Viera is twice the player Keane is in my view. Keane is a very useful backbone player for the his club. Being the number of games he has avoided for Ireland I doubt he is World class. Perhaps he knew he would be found out at these games and his quite happy to play the misunderstood.

I remember when Manc fans voted Cantona the best ever Manc player, I bet Charlton, Best and Edwards among others were well impressed with that. Fergusons school of charm.

Its all that Gazza nonsense again, tw@ts like Baker and Evans helping to cause his downfall and then lionising him at Hoddles expense. Think of what McCarthy has done and then see how many self styled experts of football in the Emerald Isle are willing to discount those acheivements because of one petulant bully.

Sorry for Irelands chances, but the World Cup is a better tournament without him. I think Ireland may play better. Worth another look at the knee jerked lengthened odds for the group stage.

Skin Up
24-05-2002, 03:28 AM
On a serious note though I think he was right, if I was getting paid £80k a week and the footballs wern't ready on time I'd throw me toys out of the pram and piss off home from the biggest tournament of my life.

pete eagle
i think Cantona was one of the best players to have played at United but the reason why he was voted because at that time, glory hunters were beginning to latch on to them and so Cantona was the choice because they were not supporting the club at the time of Charlton,best,Law, etc

firesign
I think Keane has been quoted as saying that some of his outspoken comments regarding Man U have not only been encouraged by Ferguson, but are sometimes Fergies actual thoughts - Keane just acts as his mouthpiece. Perhap Keane is after the Red Noses' job?

Ian of Chatham
24-05-2002, 03:55 AM
That incident was shown on the news tonight, I think Patterson was sent off for revenge on Keane after his stamping. Gareth was lucky to stay on the pitch after making the tackle on Keane which led to the incident.

Al From Bromley
24-05-2002, 03:55 AM
"He may have a big ego but so would most people if they were as good as him."

Thats bollox. There are many players in history who have been as good as him who havent thrown their toys out of the pram so regularly. He is bordering on the schizophrenic, charming when interviewed, a complete animal at time when playing. If ever there was a case of success going to ones head then this is it big time. He believes he is bigger than the country of ireland itself. He moans about seats on planes, fans, training facilities...why i bet he even complained about the fact he only had double ply toilet roll in his en suite.

Humility and level headedness are two characteristics that saldy he will never be familiar with, which is a crying shame because, pushing aside the team he plays for and all other issues surrounding his warped persona, he is an outstanding footballer. The poor lad has never known failure though, and like the rock star that peaks too soon he is a victim of his own success.

Ian of Chatham
24-05-2002, 04:38 AM
Of course "the poor lad" had known failure Al, he used to play for Forest. Say no more.

congress
24-05-2002, 11:33 AM
Man Utd have now sent their own private plane to go and pick Roy Keane up from the training camp.
I would sleep on a park bench to play in the World Cup but obviously Big Head didnt get one of those state of the art toilets that he saw on the news that the England squad had.

Oisin
24-05-2002, 11:54 AM
Roy Keane is a disgrace. If he thinks its constructive to undermine his gaffer in front of the whole squad he's not fit to wear the shirt.

Axie
24-05-2002, 01:35 PM
From This is London.....

Mick: I'll resign if Keane comes back

by Cathal Dervan in Izumo City
Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy will quit if he is forced to take Roy Keane back for a second time.

McCarthy has told his FAI employers to forget about any reprieve for Keane after sending the Manchester United star home in disgrace yesterday.

The repercussions of the sensational World Cup story reached the top in Irish politics when Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern became involved in an attempted reconciliation.

The FAI and Keane's camp both contacted the Taoiseach's office and Ahern expressed his willingness to act as a mediator if it would prove useful.

As the day progressed, though, it became apparent that any intervention would come too late as McCarthy made it clear he would resign.

Keane, awaiting a flight to Tokyo where he is going to be met by a plane sent by Manchester United, was left behind at the Irish team's hotel in Saipan early this morning as McCarthy's World Cup squad, now down to 22 players, switched trainingcamps to Izumo City in Japan.

McCarthy, who accepted Keane's U-turn after his initial walkout last Tuesday, ruled out another comeback for the midfielder.

"I took Roy Keane back once this week. I will not take him back a second time," said McCarthy before he departed for Japan.

"As long as I am in charge of the Ireland team he will not play for us. After what he said to me the other night, I could not tolerate his return to the squad.

"Earlier this week, I listened to other people tell me that he wanted to reverse his decision and come back into the fold first time around. This time he has no chance. I am in charge of team affairs and if it ever happens that someone else tries to force a player on me, I will quit."

Keane was left in no doubt that it was one out or all out as his World Cup came to a premature end in Saipan.

The Manchester United captain was sent packing after a vicious, foul-mouthed attack on McCarthy during a meeting called to discuss Keane's training camp gripes.

As Keane labelled McCarthy a "w***er", he was challenged by several Irish players to put up or shut up.

Blackburn goalkeeper Alan Kelly summed up the mood in the shocked Irish camp when he said: "It was one out or all out. That was made clear to Roy. Either he went or the other 22 went.

"I was shocked by the things Roy said. With someone like Mick and the things he's done, it wasn't right to say the things that he said to him."

Reports this morning claimed that the players cheered when the manager told Keane he was out of the squad. It is also claimed that Keane said to McCarthy: "You don't know what you are f***ing doing. You're a c**p manager and coach and you're a c**p person."

Keane cited personal reasons behind his initial decision to quit the squad and there was speculation this morning these were "marital".

firesign
24-05-2002, 01:59 PM
Wicked. McCarthy goes up even higher in my estimation and Keane looks like even more of a tw@t (and who'd have thought that possible?).

Sunny Fan
24-05-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Axie

Keane cited personal reasons behind his initial decision to quit the squad and there was speculation this morning these were "marital".

I've heard this speculation as well.
ITV presenter was mentioned in the same bit of totally unsubstantiated rumour.

LLCOOLSTEVE
24-05-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Oisin
Roy Keane is a disgrace. If he thinks its constructive to undermine his gaffer in front of the whole squad he's not fit to wear the shirt.

He has obviously been hearing about other's in the Irish squad doing likewise at club level!

firesign
24-05-2002, 02:46 PM

I've heard this speculation as well.
ITV presenter was mentioned in the same bit of totally unsubstantiated rumour.

Keane's been having an affair with Des Lynham? :eek:

PeterH
24-05-2002, 04:39 PM
I really like McCarthy even if he was the Millwall manager. He always talks sense when he pundits on TV.

A few of us sat next to him and his missus in the Directors Box at one of those Cup matches when he was running his eye over Morrison.

AddiscombeEagle
24-05-2002, 04:43 PM
This has been Emailed to me, make your own minds up.

I have this on very good authority from someone who is a v good friend of > an FAI official who was at the meeting this morning ( honestly) > one of the lads in work sent me this The meeting was about Roy at which Roy said something along the lines of > (to McCarthy)- who the f*ck do you think you are having meetings about me > You were a crap player and you are a crap manager > The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the > manager of my country and your not even Irish you English c@nt > You can stick it up your b'llox

Al From Bromley
24-05-2002, 05:12 PM
I wonder what he makes of Morrison then? Reading between the lines, some of what he sai over the past couple of days hinted at players coming and playing for Ireland necause it meant getting the international stage when they werent good enough to play for another country.

Tarby
24-05-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by AddiscombeEagle
manager of my country and your not even Irish you English c@nt > You can stick it up your b'llox [/B]

Bet he never said that to Jack Charlton, an Englishman who gave him debut!!

eagle mart
24-05-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE

He has obviously been hearing about other's in the Irish squad doing likewise at club level!

Is this with our current manager or a previous manager (Smith)? If it is with Francis I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

PalaceFan in Alabama
24-05-2002, 05:55 PM
Can you believe that Moan Utd have 'supposedly' sent over a plane to bring the jerk back. No wonder he thinks he is better than the rest of his team, football in general will be better when the likes of this person and Ferguson are gone for good. The mindless ones who support him and his manager as some sort of golden idols, will ensure that they will always (in their own minds) be better than everyone else.
One can only hope that both he and Ferguson are not let off and are reminded everyday during the upcoming season that they are not bigger than the club or Country they play for.
I am willing to bet than he will be offered a job by either Sky, BBC or ITV:eek:

eagle mart
24-05-2002, 06:03 PM
"Irish fans have flooded the switchboards of radio and television phone-in shows to express their anger and dismay at captain Keane's abrupt exit.

"It's black armband time," admitted Daire O'Brien, presenter on Dublin's NewsTalk FM.

Almost 10,000 people rang up a radio phone-in show in one hour as news of the bust-up filtered back to Ireland. A massive 86 per cent sided with Keane. "

pete eagle
24-05-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by eagle mart
"Irish fans have flooded the switchboards of radio and television phone-in shows to express their anger and dismay at captain Keane's abrupt exit.

"It's black armband time," admitted Daire O'Brien, presenter on Dublin's NewsTalk FM.

Almost 10,000 people rang up a radio phone-in show in one hour as news of the bust-up filtered back to Ireland. A massive 86 per cent sided with Keane. "

idiots..... they are only adding to Keane's ego

RichieG
24-05-2002, 06:23 PM
I too have heard some rumours about marital probs.......

Raf mailed this to me this morning:

Apparently the real reason that Roy Keane wanted to go home from the tournament was not because of a training ground argument but the fact that the English papers are preparing to run a "kiss & tell" story on the married father of four . It'll be in News Of The World on Sunday. His wife told him to go back to the World Cup because going home would not keep the marriage together. He's been s**gging about for years. Latest girl claims that she is preggers.

ozzieEagle
24-05-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Tarby

Bet he never said that to Jack Charlton, an Englishman who gave him debut!!

Nah Jackie Charlton wasnt english, he was a bloody geordie :D

Ruskin Old Boy
24-05-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Al from Bromley
I wonder what he makes of Morrison then? Reading between the lines, some of what he sai over the past couple of days hinted at players coming and playing for Ireland necause it meant getting the international stage when they werent good enough to play for another country.

He's told "friendly" reporters, i.e. from Manchester, of his dismay at players being selected from 3 clubs - Palace, Wimbledon and Wolves - in particular. That may well have been reported up north.

Ruskin Old Boy
24-05-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy

That may well have been reported up north.

Extract from one of many stories in Manchester Online today:

"But there is clearly a large element of that in his thinking. Asked if he could think of anyone else in football as intense as himself, Keane mentioned one name: Sir Alex Ferguson. That was no surprise. There is a mutual respect between these two men which has been at the core of United’s success in recent years. Keane is the playing embodiment of Fergie’s managerial hunger and desire.
His honesty is the single biggest reason why United fans love him– that honesty is in everything he says and everything he does on the field. So what chance have his Irish colleagues got? Keane told it as it was, expressing his frustration at the lackadaisical preparations of the Irish FA and at the inferior quality of some of his team-mates.
He laid into some of those Ireland players – from clubs like Wimbledon, Crystal Palace and Wolves – because they accept failure too easily. He does the same when the United superstars fall short."

Another one has Ray Houghton defending Keane

:eek:

"RAY Houghton has backed Roy Keane’s decision to criticise Ireland’s World Cup preparations.
Houghton, who became an Irish hero when he scored the winner against Italy in World Cup ’94, said that Keane’s role as captain made it right for him to stick up for the players.
Keane was sent home after clashing with Mick McCarthy having previously criticised the training facilities on offer.
And while Houghton admitted that Keane might have gone ‘a bit overboard’, he defended the Manchester United player’s decision to speak his mind.
“Roy was standing up for the whole side,” Houghton told BBC Sport Online.
“This was about the lads and their preparations for the World Cup. If the facilities – the pitch, buildings, equipment – are not up to scratch, he has a right to complain about them.

TAK
24-05-2002, 09:05 PM
**** him

PeterH
24-05-2002, 09:15 PM
One snippet was emailed to me about an hour ago. The Prime Minister is now heavily involved, so hes doing his job properly. And he is a devout Moan Utd fan. Talk of Keane going back, McCarthy being jettisoned and ONeal being given permission by Celtic to do the job for a month. Jack Charltons name was also dragged up.

I thought the general Irish populace were the most principled people on the planet. This really is moral high ground stuff.

All this supposed to happen this weekend. Lets see if it does. Keeps the papers off of Englands back. :p

Pat of the Palace
24-05-2002, 09:52 PM
Now Roy hasn't a jersey to wear, maybe he could use this (http://www.football365shop.com/shop/product_detail.asp?ProductGroupID=948&rid=15) :p
http://www.football365shop.com/images/Products/Fullsize/retire_detail.gif

bucketbongeagle
24-05-2002, 10:07 PM
Someone just sent me this :

I heard from a person who has a contact in one of the Irish Sunday
papers that Mr Keane has got some girl "in the family way" and has to go and
sort things out at home and these are his "personal reasons" - apparently it
will be in a tabloid on Sunday.

The other is what was allegedly said in the meeting between McCarthy,
Keane & the rest of the Irish squad.

He apparently said:
"Who the f_ck do you think you are having meetings about me. You were a
cr_p player and you are a cráp manager. The only reason I have any dealings
with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country and your not even Irish you English c__t You can stick it up your áss"

and

".....you were a c__t in 1994, again in 1998 and you're even more of a
c_t now and you ain't even Irish"

colinp
24-05-2002, 10:50 PM
I think Keane was just trying to make Clinton feel at home as this sort of thing goes on all the time at Palace under Jordan i.e Coppell ,Linighan ,Ruddock , Pollock ,Fan and now Austin (oops forgot Cartwright)

AJ
25-05-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by colinp
I think Keane was just trying to make Clinton feel at home as this sort of thing goes on all the time at Palace under Jordan i.e Coppell ,Linighan ,Ruddock , Pollock ,Fan and now Austin (oops forgot Cartwright)

Kember probably uses the same phrases, but omits the swear words.

Ruskin Old Boy
25-05-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by AJ

Kember probably uses the same phrases, but omits the swear words.

....Rubins comes to mind....

Jimbo ?
25-05-2002, 02:28 AM
ireland will miss keane but they have still got Clinton so they will still win!!

A big loss !!

anti-addick
25-05-2002, 03:15 PM
OK then Roy, since you're such a man of principle, sticking by your Irish upbringing, then why do you play for an English club? Why do half the Irish support Man U and Celtic, non-Irish clubs? If you hate the english so much then f*ck off and play for Cork, you racist c*nt.

Ireland wouldn't have had half their success if it hadn't been for these so called english cast offs, and more importantly 2 ENGLISH managers.
What a c*nt.

Bad news for Ireland though, Jason McAteer has done is knee ligaments against Hiroshima, Kevin Kilbane also limped off with an ankle inruy. Signs are that McAteer is out of the WC. More chances for Clinton to play now but unfortunately that just about finishes my thoughts of betting on Ireland to win their group, he's a key player.

I can see the ridiculous Cameroon team winning it now, what with Deisler and Scholl out for the krauts.

OutOfBounds
25-05-2002, 03:26 PM
Reading all this really makes me dislike keane. It is such a contrast, because right before reading this thread, i was reading an article about Andy Cole. That article was refreshing because he was talking about his charity foundation and how he went on a trip to see the results of said charity instead of jetting off on vacation after not making the world cup. I bring this up just because of how opposite on the spectrum of a famous footballer and their behavior it is when compared to Keane. Keane is totally diminished in my eyes now.

Pat of the Palace
25-05-2002, 05:48 PM
OK then Roy, since you're such a man of principle, sticking by your Irish upbringing, then why do you play for an English club?
For the same reason he plays an English game. (when he was so good at Gaelic Football) Wonga
It takes a lot of corporate prawn sarnies to pay his wages too.
How can he say Mick is not Irish? Does that make his (presumably Cheshire born and bred) kids English?
I never liked this thug and I thought after he stamped on Gareth I couldn't hate him more. I was wrong.

the_next_matt_jansen
25-05-2002, 05:54 PM
He has an argument with Packie Bonner over a non-issue (goalkeepers in practice games). Then withdraws from the tournament. Colin Healy called in. Keane reverses his decision. Healy left out again. Even worse according to RTÉ news this morning Keane also said he had retired from international football.
I always thought it was "Patty" Bonner?:confused:

Pat of the Palace
25-05-2002, 06:06 PM
Nah, Packie is what they call Pat or Paddy in Donegal

anti-addick
25-05-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by OutOfBounds
Reading all this really makes me dislike keane. It is such a contrast, because right before reading this thread, i was reading an article about Andy Cole. That article was refreshing because he was talking about his charity foundation and how he went on a trip to see the results of said charity instead of jetting off on vacation after not making the world cup. I bring this up just because of how opposite on the spectrum of a famous footballer and their behavior it is when compared to Keane. Keane is totally diminished in my eyes now.

Compar Keane to Quinn and Kelly, now there's two bloody nice blokes. I couldn't imagine the whining w@nker giving away his testimonial money to charity like they did. They think of other people less fortunate, Keane is more concerned with his own greedy self - he can't even treat his wife right. The complete ****.

Streatham man
25-05-2002, 06:35 PM
My prediction: Keane will be back by the time of the first match. He will apologize to McCarthy and his teamates, and there will be photo of Keane and McCarthy hugging one another.

26-05-2002, 12:40 AM
OK then Roy, since you're such a man of principle, sticking by your Irish upbringing, then why do you play for an English club? Why do half the Irish support Man U and Celtic, non-Irish clubs? If you hate the english so much then f*ck off and play for Cork, you racist c*nt.

Ireland wouldn't have had half their success if it hadn't been for these so called english cast offs, and more importantly 2 ENGLISH managers.
What a c*nt.

Bad news for Ireland though, Jason McAteer has done is knee ligaments against Hiroshima, Kevin Kilbane also limped off with an ankle inruy. Signs are that McAteer is out of the WC. More chances for Clinton to play now but unfortunately that just about finishes my thoughts of betting on Ireland to win their group, he's a key player.

Makes me laugh, even when we discuss the Irish team all the players you listed above McAteer, Kilbane and Morrison are all English! They must have loved being led by their racist captain.

Geezer
26-05-2002, 12:41 AM
GO IN GER LAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anti-addick
26-05-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered

Makes me laugh, even when we discuss the Irish team all the players you listed above McAteer, Kilbane and Morrison are all English! They must have loved being led by their racist captain.

I listed? What do you mean exactly?

Geezer, get a life, that's 3 threads youv'e posted the same message.

PalaceFan in Alabama
26-05-2002, 09:14 AM
Just picked this off of the Sporting Life:
Speaking at the Curragh racecourse, where his horse Rock of Gibraltar won the Irish 2000 Guineas, Ferguson said: "I think he is the greatest player I have ever had and he is probably the greatest Irishman ever. And he was playing for his country and that's important

I am sure my Father is turning in his grave after these comments :veryangry

sydney eagle
26-05-2002, 09:22 AM

Geezer, get a life, that's 3 threads youv'e posted the same message. I've seen about 10 threads with the same thing by this tw@t:veryangry

Polish Prancer
26-05-2002, 10:05 AM
Is it in todays News of the World??

JohnA
27-05-2002, 02:50 AM
Hubris.....

This is the official song (written by supporters with proceeds to the Irish equivalent of great Ormond St)

HERE COME THE GOOD TIMES

It's been a long time since the USA
We've come this far, now were going to go all the way
With Keane to lead us there is nothing to fear
This time 2002 is going to be our year

We all believe in the Irish team
We all believe in Mick McCarthy's dream

Here come the good times x 3

Ireland x 2

With the ball at our feet we shoot, we score
This time we'll celebrate, we'll hear the Irish roar
We dream of goals in the rising sun
An Irish name on each and every one

Win, lose or draw, stand up for the team
Let's make ourselves heard, let's shout, let's scream

Here come the good times x 3

Ireland x 2

It's good to hear the cheers again
It's good to see the green again
It's good to hear the singing one more time

Here come the good times…

JohnA
27-05-2002, 08:42 PM
From The Irish Times website
Keane to appear on TV to plea for pardon

Roy Keane seems set to turn up the heat on Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy by appearing on television tonight with an appeal to be let back into the Irish World Cup squad.

A thirty minute interview with Ireland's captain-in-exile will be screened on RTE at 8.30 tonight, after an edited extract has been shown during the six-one news.

Keane will reportedly apologise for last week's foul-mouthed outburst in Saipan and plead with manager McCarthy, who bore the brunt of his bile, for forgiveness and a recall.

If Keane does indeed request a pardon, as so many Irish fans hope he will, McCarthy will come under ferocious pressure to accept, since many Irish fans fear first round elimination in the absence of their inspirational skipper.

This morning, the Irish manager reportedly told an English newspaper that he would reject any apology the player had to offer

firesign
27-05-2002, 08:47 PM
This morning, the Irish manager reportedly told an English newspaper that he would reject any apology the player had to offer

Too bloody right! Even if this is true, as far as I'm concerned, there's no way back for Keane.

LLCOOLSTEVE
27-05-2002, 08:47 PM
From The Irish Times website
Keane to appear on TV to plea for pardon

Roy Keane seems set to turn up the heat on Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy by appearing on television tonight with an appeal to be let back into the Irish World Cup squad.

A thirty minute interview with Ireland's captain-in-exile will be screened on RTE at 8.30 tonight, after an edited extract has been shown during the six-one news.

Keane will reportedly apologise for last week's foul-mouthed outburst in Saipan and plead with manager McCarthy, who bore the brunt of his bile, for forgiveness and a recall.

If Keane does indeed request a pardon, as so many Irish fans hope he will, McCarthy will come under ferocious pressure to accept, since many Irish fans fear first round elimination in the absence of their inspirational skipper.

Too little too late.......

PalaceFan in Alabama
27-05-2002, 08:55 PM

Is it just me, but who really gives a feck! He has mentioned several players during the throwing of handbags and expects these players to welcome him back :hmph:

I can just see the slug now :sob: 'Ferg they will not let me play with them, please do something; why not take their ball away from them'. :sob:

Jim Cannons Moustache
27-05-2002, 09:08 PM
Best thing that can happen is that Keane makes a grovelling apology and McCarthy tells him to FO, that way keane is made to look a fool and the morale in the squad isnt destroyed as it would be if he was allowed back.

Sunny Fan
27-05-2002, 09:10 PM
Surely only doing this to try to win the PR battle with wor Mick

anti-addick
27-05-2002, 09:22 PM
I can see it all now.................Keane apologises, McCarthy has him back, Keane shows World that he is the best Irishman ever and the best player in the World Cup, single-handedly winning the Worldcup for Ireland.:rolleyes:

Daniel_Nash
27-05-2002, 11:01 PM
He wants to come back!

www.onefootball.com

Axed Republic of Ireland captain Roy Keane wants a second chance at the World Cup, despite claiming he has no regrets about the "slanging match" with manager Mick McCarthy which ended in him being sent home.

"I want to play for Ireland. It's the biggest thing of all, to play in the World Cup," he said on Monday. "Nobody wanted this. Of course, it's hurting me all this - dead right it is.''

The Manchester United skipper told Irish television channel RTE that "maybe there is a way'' he could still play at the World Cup.

He was, however, unrepentant about the verbal attack on McCarthy during supposed clear-the-air talks which led to his expulsion from the squad.

"My consicence is clear, and that's the most important thing in my life. It really is," he said.

"If there was any doubt in my mind `Roy, you were a bit out of order, you should maybe have held back a little bit' but there isn't and I won't accept it. I can't accept it.''

The chances, though, of Keane being accepted back into the fold seem remote, with the still furious McCarthy claiming other players would walk-out themselves if Keane returns.

"I had to sit the players down and assure them that no apology will be enough to get Roy Keane back into this squad," he said.

"There were some angry players in that hotel, they were annoyed at the suggestion that he could merely apologise and walk back into the fold. I have no doubt that some of them will walk if he ever comes back. But that isn't going to happen.

"Roy Keane is history as far as I am concerned and we have moved on. I don't believe he is the sort who apologises for anything and I am not interested, even if he does have a change of heart."

Keane had earlier admitted he left McCarthy with no option but to send him home from the team's World Cup training camp. "A player cannot speak to a manager like that and continue to work under him," he conceded.

He had launched a foul-mouthed attack on the Irish boss last week following criticism of the training facilities laid on in Saipan.

Skin Up
27-05-2002, 11:27 PM
McCarthy won't have him back and Keane knows it. He's just trying to shift public opinion towards him by painting McCarthy as the villian who won't let him back after he's apologised.:grrr:

Gooders
28-05-2002, 12:33 AM
If this wasn't so pathetic, it would be quite funny.

Most Irish people I know (and there are quite a few) slag off Cork all the time and bang on about what a complete thug Roy Keane is, from a thuggish city in a thuggish county - but the moment he has a spat with an Englishman, 86% of them are on his side.

Hypocrits.

biggus mickus
28-05-2002, 01:09 AM
The idiot had his chance. What a load of bollix. He has his head up his arsh.
OK Roy we will fly you back to the world cup, then when you get knocked out, maybe you could write a book about what really happened.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
You let your country down pal. End of story.

King Tubby
28-05-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Roy Keane's @rsehole
No one wants to play for Ireland as much as me
Why the fack did you go home in the first place and precipitate this whole thing then you stupid chump????

I read an interview with him saying that him and Mcarthy hadn't got on since the 94 world cup when Mcarthy was captain. Keane and some others went out and got drunk, when Mcarthy had a go at them for it Keane reacted similaly as he did recently, he embarrassed Mcarthy in front of the team and he reckons this is a revenge thing. And he's complaining about a lack of proffessionalism in the Irish camp?? tw@t.

On channel five news the anchor was talking about it and then went to his panel, which consisted of two people "PR guru and broadcaster" something or other and "Spin doctor turned broadcaster Amanda Bottell." WHAT???? WHAT THE HELL???? WHY ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT IT???? oh well.

JohnA
28-05-2002, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
If this wasn't so pathetic, it would be quite funny.

Most Irish people I know (and there are quite a few) slag off Cork all the time and bang on about what a complete thug Roy Keane is, from a thuggish city in a thuggish county - but the moment he has a spat with an Englishman, 86% of them are on his side.Hypocrits.

Cork thuggish? Are you on drugs? Its the largest county by area & in the coast & West is a major Tourist destination (English residents of Skibbereen include David Puttnam (Tony Blair holidayed with him in 1996), Jeremy Irons to name 2 well known) There are plenty more. Read McCarthy's Bar for a fairer view. Bit like accusing Brugges of being thuggish. In terms of thuggish sports people - the GAA teams don't have a bad rep, Meath have that.

Cork a tough City? In part (Mayfield where Keanes is from, in part, other areas like the Glen - again in part). The rest of the City not really tough.

Re the 86% (not 85.7%?) What do you expect? Remember the abuse that Tony Banks got in 1998 for wanting France to do well at the World Cup.

brighton_eagle
28-05-2002, 03:41 AM
Bet 'Sir' Alex is delighted. All he needs to do now is persuade Giggs and Beckham to do the same and nothing need interfere.....

Polish Prancer
28-05-2002, 04:06 PM
With the F.A spending a great deal of money promoting their 'lets kick racism out of football' campaign aimed at supporters, will we see any action taken towards high profile racist players?
Or will it be considered OK because it's anti English?
Maybe the anti-nazi league will get involved like they did with the Cantona Incident.
I won't hold my breath.

Sunny Fan
28-05-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Polish Prancer
With the F.A spending a great deal of money promoting their 'lets kick racism out of football' campaign aimed at supporters, will we see any action taken towards high profile racist players?
Or will it be considered OK because it's anti English?
Maybe the anti-nazi league will get involved like they did with the Cantona Incident.
I won't hold my breath.

Struggling to work out what your point is.
Am I missing something?

King Tubby
28-05-2002, 04:14 PM
I've got a good idea!! Let's make THIS thread about race as well!!!

PalaceFan in Alabama
28-05-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by King Tubby
I've got a good idea!! Let's make THIS thread about race as well!!!

Well it is in a way, 'who will be the first to give in' :p :D

"I do not want him back"

"I will not go back yet"

"We will work out a way so that nobody loses face" :hmph:

It has become a race to see who will have the first quote for the media, as I have said already "Who really gives a feck". It would be different if he played for a decent club :D

Polish Prancer
28-05-2002, 04:29 PM

Struggling to work out what your point is.
Am I missing something?

Well he is alleged to have said something along the lines of f off you english c--t, if you remember the anti nazi leauge were at Cantona's trial supporting him because M Simmonds said something like you French wa---r.
If he did say those words which are in my opinion racist then either the F.A. acts or its campaign will be undermined by the players.

I can't see what's so complicated
I don't wish this thread to turn into a debate about race but if he did say those words then I feel it is important.

Jim Cannons Moustache
28-05-2002, 04:33 PM
my favourite keane-ism from yesterday was when he complained that having left the squad the Irish FA didnt book him a flight home he had to phone up man utd and get them to book one for him...............BOOK YOUR OWN ******* FLIGHT HOME YOU SPOILT GIT! :grrr: surely a 30 year old multi millionaire can walk into a booking office and buy himself a ticket, not phone the other side of the world and get someone to do it for him, bloody pampered primadonna!:veryangry

bucketbongeagle
28-05-2002, 06:26 PM
Keane really is a tosspot, he caused so much trouble he was sent home. At that point im sure the entire squad most of thought good well at least now we can start enjoying it and concentrate on what we're supposed to be doing, but no now they have to play this bloody will he won't he game with no doubt Mcarthy getting hassled from all angles including the Irish PM. So even though he's not even there anymore he's still being disruptive and rocking the boat, when really with 4 or 5 days left all you really want to do is focus all your time and energy on the first game. So now Mcarthy is screwed, damned if you do and damned if you don't, the best thing that could happen IMO is for Mcarthy to come out and say no, absolutely no way and then prey they don't get stiffed in all 3 games.

SE20
28-05-2002, 06:38 PM
Whether or not Keane apologises to McCarthy (and frankly I couldn't care less one way or the other), he should be made to apologise for his racist comments. Imagine the furore if an English player called someone an Irish c***!

Celestial Empire
28-05-2002, 06:59 PM
Keane really is a tosspot, he caused so much trouble he was sent home. At that point im sure the entire squad most of thought good well at least now we can start enjoying it and concentrate on what we're supposed to be doing, but no now they have to play this bloody will he won't he game with no doubt Mcarthy getting hassled from all angles including the Irish PM. So even though he's not even there anymore he's still being disruptive and rocking the boat, when really with 4 or 5 days left all you really want to do is focus all your time and energy on the first game. So now Mcarthy is screwed, damned if you do and damned if you don't, the best thing that could happen IMO is for Mcarthy to come out and say no, absolutely no way and then prey they don't get stiffed in all 3 games.

That's just about what I thought, he screws up Ireland's preparation, then carries on sabotaging the team, via the media.

SE20 - we're surely big enough to take it without comment aren't we mate ??

AJ
28-05-2002, 07:46 PM
After Keane's comments on some of the other Irish players, in particular those who are not all-Irish. I wonder who will be the first Iro-Anglo player to floor Keane nest season:p

bucketbongeagle
28-05-2002, 08:01 PM
Just been announced that Keane is one apology away from being back in the team, apparently a seat has been arranged for him on the plane.

AJ
28-05-2002, 10:15 PM
Just been announced that Keane is one apology away from being back in the team, apparently a seat has been arranged for him on the plane.

Lets hope it destination is Bagdad:rolleyes:

Gooders
28-05-2002, 11:08 PM

Cork thuggish? Are you on drugs? ...

Cork a tough City? In part (Mayfield where Keanes is from, in part, other areas like the Glen - again in part). The rest of the City not really tough.

Re the 86% (not 85.7%?) What do you expect? Remember the abuse that Tony Banks got in 1998 for wanting France to do well at the World Cup.

Thank you for this educational posting John - I was only going on what lots of Irish friends and colleagues of mine have told me.

I think it's perfectly valid to mention the race issue. Why is it ok for an Irishman (or a Scot for that matter) to use "English c@nt" in such a derogatory way and yet if an Englishman does so he gets pilloried?

And who is surprised that Fergie is sticking up for him? Wonder what his reaction would be if it was he that Keane was launching the tirade at - rather different I would guess.

Double standards and hypocrisy is what it is, and it stinks.

SE20
29-05-2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire

SE20 - we're surely big enough to take it without comment aren't we mate ??

On a personal level, yes. But it's double standards. If racial abuse is to be condemned then it has to be from all sides, otherwise it is meaningless.

JohnA
29-05-2002, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
I think it's perfectly valid to mention the race issue. Why is it ok for an Irishman (or a Scot for that matter) to use "English c@nt" in such a derogatory way and yet if an Englishman does so he gets pilloried?

And who is surprised that Fergie is sticking up for him? Wonder what his reaction would be if it was he that Keane was launching the tirade at - rather different I would guess.

Well by race McCarthy is Irish & by citizenship he is also. Albeit with a Barnsley accent. But hell the Duke of Wellington had a Dublin accent. So Keane's "statement" was inaccurate.

Of course it is not only wrong but also deplorable to use such language.

Incidently tonight RTÉ's Tony O' Donoghue denied that he said it.

Personally Fergie's mindgames & siege mentality are in part to blame. However, it would be disengenuous to blame him - Roy seems to have his own demons.

mike
29-05-2002, 04:32 AM
I heard from a mate at work who is Irish, he said it all stems back from USA 1994 when MaCarthy and Keane were both players, apparently they had a falling out and, MaCarthy said he would get Keane back, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day before he died, he would get him back!
Can't say I blame him for that, Keane seems to think he is above the normal rules, for God's sake he is representing his country, have your squabble if you want, oh boll0cks, why bother saying any more, the blokes a spoilt tw@t

Streatham man
29-05-2002, 07:27 AM

As I said earlier, we'll soon see a picture of McCarthy and Keane hugging each other. Barf.

sydney eagle
29-05-2002, 08:34 AM
wouldn't it be funny if he comes back,does one of his disgusting tackles in the first few minutes V's cameroon and gets sent off and suspended for the next 2 games when ireland get knocked out.:D

sydney eagle
29-05-2002, 08:42 AM
Ok He's changed his mind again:rolleyes:

this from http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1053106,00.html

Roy Keane has turned down the chance to rejoin the Irish World Cup squad.

Keane, thrown out following a bust-up with manager Mick McCarthy, has released a statement saying he did not think it was in the best interests of the game, fans and players for him to return to the World Cup.

In a statement to Irish broadcaster RTE, Keane said: "I do not consider that the best interests of Irish football will be served by my returning to the World Cup. The damage has been done."

The Football Association of Ireland's John Delaney said that this was the end of the matter.

McCarthy had suggested earlier today (Tuesday) that an apology from Keane might just be acceptable, thus leaving the door ajar for his late return to the squad ahead of Ireland's opening World Cup game against Cameroon on June 1.

But Keane's statement appears to have drawn a line under the saga once and for all, as he seems happy to let the players still in the Far East get on with the job they have to do.

He added: "In the interests of all genuine supporters of Irish football the time has now arrived when I should bring a conclusion to the continuing speculation with regard to my participation in the World Cup and for the players to concentrate fully on their preparations for the competition free from all further distractions.

"Whilst I appreciate all the support which I have received I do not consider that the best interests of Irish football will be served by my returning to the World Cup.

"The damage has been done. I wish the team and the management all the best.

"They have my full support throughout the competition and I urge all the people of Ireland to give their support to the team and I do not feel that any useful purpose will be served by my making any further comment."

Ruskin Old Boy
29-05-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by mike
I heard from a mate at work who is Irish, he said it all stems back from USA 1994 when MaCarthy and Keane were both players, apparently they had a falling out and, MaCarthy said he would get Keane back, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day before he died, he would get him back!

All true...happened when McCarthy was captain and Keane, amongst others, was late for the team coach. M reprimanded him in front of the other players, K etc etc. We get the picture....though while Keane has to take most of the blame McCarthy isn't exactly the most subtle of captains/managers.

Interesting to read this morning that the remaining players - lead by Niall Quinn - went behind Mccarthy's back to try and get Keane re-instated. Unlikely that McCarthy will be manager for much longer - public opinion in Ireland appears to be on Keane's side.

All very sad, especially for "our" Clinton.

sydney eagle
29-05-2002, 12:10 PM

Interesting to read this morning that the remaining players - lead by Niall Quinn - went behind Mccarthy's back to try and get Keane re-instated. Unlikely that McCarthy will be manager for much longer - public opinion in Ireland appears to be on Keane's side.

I've read quite the opposite .I saw an article where the remaining players said they didn't want Keane back and they want to focus on the game against Cameroon and didn't want anything to do with Keane.

Ruskin Old Boy
29-05-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by sydney eagle
I've read quite the opposite .I saw an article where the remaining players said they didn't want Keane back and they want to focus on the game against Cameroon and didn't want anything to do with Keane.

"Quinn later said everyone in the squad had agreed they wanted Keane reinstated. "We're all shattered he's not here," he said. "We issued that statement with heavy hearts."

The Sunderland player revealed that on Sunday morning he had phoned Kennedy, the London-based solicitor who also represents Quinn. Sir Alex Ferguson has also played a behind-the-scenes role.

"Michael Kennedy is probably the best negotiator I have ever come across," said Quinn. "I rang him because I wanted to find a way of getting Roy back out here.

"I also went to Mick because I felt there was an opportunity Roy might be asked back. I have been pestering Mick behind the scenes but, away from that, he didn't know I was working to get Roy back.

"Mick was annoyed with me. But I make no apologies. I brought up the people back in Ireland, but I also said I had done it for him, that I was trying to protect him and I didn't want him to lose out."

No matter how the FAI has tried to shelter the players from the public reaction at home, the sympathy heaped on Keane since Monday's television interview, in which he revealed he wanted to rejoin the squad, is filtering through.

More than 2,000 people signed an internet petition yesterday to have him re- instated, and 93% of respondents to a television poll took his side. "Sort it out, you morons," said a banner outside the FAI's offices in Dublin's Merrion Square.

Only three days before the biggest game of his six years as Ireland's manager, McCarthy is now being widely depicted as the villain. His status was described in one newspaper as "lower than a snake's belly", though perhaps the fact that last night's final act in the drama was instigated by Keane will result in a degree of exoneration.

The timing of the affair could hardly be more excruciating. "This thing has got long fingers - it's touched everyone back home. It's touched me, my family, and it's certainly not made our World Cup any easier," McCarthy said last night.

"The players can't take any more," added Quinn. "We have to get back to thinking about football, but it's not easy. I'm just glad we're not playing Cameroon tomorrow."

From Guardian online - similar stories in the Irish Times and Irish Independent

firesign
29-05-2002, 12:38 PM
I can't believe anyone has sympathy for Keane - great player though he is, the guy's a turd.

Sunny Fan
29-05-2002, 07:20 PM
For sale : One pair of hardly used Diadora Football Boots

Reason for Sale: Just got too big for them

Ruskin Old Boy
29-05-2002, 07:30 PM
For sale : One pair of hardly used Diadora Football Boots

Reason for Sale: Just got too big for them

Top post:p

BTW, love the avatar:)

bucketbongeagle
29-05-2002, 07:32 PM
I can't believe people are taking Keanes side on this, all he had to do was say :

"Im sorry I repeatedly called you a C__T " How difficuilt is that ?

I hate the tw@t.

JohnA
31-05-2002, 12:00 AM
From the Irish Times

Meanwhile, on a Manchester United's supporters' website, they've already penned their first tune for the new season - "Oooh, Roy Keane is magic, he wears a magic hat, and when he saw McCarthy, he said "you ****ing ****, You only played for Millwall and City cos your *****, I play for Man United cos I'm ****ing dynamite."

31-05-2002, 12:11 AM
From the Irish Times

Meanwhile, on a Manchester United's supporters' website, they've already penned their first tune for the new season - "Oooh, Roy Keane is magic, he wears a magic hat, and when he saw McCarthy, he said "you ****ing ****, You only played for Millwall and City cos your *****, I play for Man United cos I'm ****ing dynamite."

Small club near Stockport!

Chim Chiminee Chim Chiminee Chim Chim Cheroo, COCKNEY ******S!

King Tubby
31-05-2002, 12:13 AM
oops, that were me.

johanncryuff
31-05-2002, 03:23 PM
A common enough sentiment in Ireland currently!!

This is a tale of the man called Roy,
>And how he filled our hearts with joy,
>Until the ******s in the FAI
>Booked a pitch that was completely dry.
>
>A muscle tightened and a tendon stretched,
>Roy was livid, and the lads said 'Sketch!'
>Roy said "All credit to me at the end of the day,
>Me go in goal? No ****in' way!"
>
>Roy had a go at Bonner and Kelly,
>Coz while the team was training, the keepers watched telly.
>There'd been bust-ups before, this wasn't the first,
>Meanwhile the players were dying of thirst.
>
>Cos the FAI made a deal for some energy drink,
>But they forgot to bring it, so what did Roy think?
>"You're some langer!" he screamed at Mick,
>While Duff explained to Jason that 'langer' meant 'prick'.
>
>So Roy packed his bags and went to bed,
>To rest all the blood that rushed to his head.
>He said he'd go home, but would he really?
>Meanwhile Mick had called up Colin Healy.
>
>"We need you Colin, pack your bag,
>You're in the squad coz Roy lost the rag."
>Roy rang Alex, who was at home in his gaff,
>And Alex said "Roy, you're havin' a laugh!"
>
>"You're at the World Cup, the centre stage,
>Put a cork in your murderous rage!"
>So Roy changed his mind and decided to stay,
>And told Mick it's cool, he just had a bad day.
>
>The next day Roy told his story in the papers,
>But Mick had enough of his captain's capers
>He called a meeting, and Jason got lost,
>And Roy was asked to explain to the boss.
>
>What it was that was getting him down,
>Roy's vein popped out, and he made that frown.
>"Obviously as I said like, at the end of the day,
>I am the captain and I want my own way."
>
>"I want keepers to train, and I want a decent pitch,
>And a decent manager, you son-of-a-bitch!"
>Quinner, Kelly and Stan stood up tall,
>And said "Roy, you're not the only one who can kick a ball!"
>
>"And Roy said "I know, Duff can play too,
>And other Keane and Reid, but Christ look at you!
>You're has-beens, you're muppets who can't take the heat,
>And Quinn you can head, but did you know you have feet?!"
>
>Mick said "That's it, you're taking the piss",
>As Jason arrived and said "What did I miss?"
>Roy was not welcome, and told to go home,
>And in true FAI style, they got RyanAir on the phone.
>
>There weren't any flights until the next day,
>So Roy went to bed while the whole country prayed.
>Please help us Jesus, Bertie and the Pope,
>Because without Roy in Japan, we haven't a hope.

Unfortunately I cannot take any credit for this - I received it this morning!!

Ruskin Old Boy
31-05-2002, 03:30 PM
Nice one JC:D

johanncryuff
31-05-2002, 09:19 PM
And another one:D

King Tubby
31-05-2002, 09:34 PM
:D :D :D LOL to the picture

Celestial Empire
31-05-2002, 09:55 PM

"Quinn later said everyone in the squad had agreed they wanted Keane reinstated. "We're all shattered he's not here," he said. "We issued that statement with heavy hearts."

"I also went to Mick because I felt there was an opportunity Roy might be asked back. I have been pestering Mick behind the scenes but, away from that, he didn't know I was working to get Roy back.

From Guardian online - similar stories in the Irish Times and Irish Independent

Well, before Quinn made some noble gestures and revealed himself as a nice guy / candidate for sainthood, he was better known as a dizzy, dozy git, not averse to "clumsy play", who was sure his head was only for heading.

I would think the other Prem clubs fans will have a few juicy songs for Keane too.

JohnA
01-06-2002, 12:25 AM
Thanks Johan My niece sent it to me last week, you are spot on the money in your interpretation. Similarly R.O.B. was remarkably prescient. Ireland could win the World Cup without conceding a goal but the various Manure elements and those who appreciate his sensitivities above national consensus not to mention those who regard Mick as someone to be excoriated because of whatever reason would still want him sacked.

Mick will not be manager in August. Whoever inherits the setup will benefit from his hard work, graft and integrity.

Keane may come from Cork and be one of the most talented players in the World however, he is as patriotic as the late unlamented Patrick Cosgrave.

JohnA
31-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Mick & Roy bury the hatchet - but not in each other:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/1031/keaneroy.html