PDA

View Full Version : New York Post World Cup Preview

bert head is god
26-05-2002, 08:29 PM
This morning's New York Post includes their incisive and well informed World Cup preview. Among many gems was the following statement:

"In a World Cup missing players like Romario, Roberto Baggio, Gary Neville and Mehmet Scholl, will there be any stars left to shine?"

LMFAO

I have to admit that there seems little point in waking up in the middle of the night to watch the games if I cannot witness the smooth silky skills of Gary Neville. :rolleyes:

pete eagle
26-05-2002, 08:33 PM
someone has been researching very thoroughly then.

:D

g23
27-05-2002, 05:53 PM
Don't underestimate the importance of Gary Neville. Of course it's now a well-established sport to mock both brothers at every turn, but Gary is an integral part of Man Utd's success. Beckham credits him at every turn for the way he meshes with him down that right side. He's by far the best right back in England, and his absence is causing us more problems than, arguably, anyone else's would. Think about it - everyone else (with the possible exception of Beckham) is fairly easily replaceable. But one columnist this morning I'm told is predicting Ashley Cole at right back!

Strathclyde Eagle
27-05-2002, 06:09 PM
Have to disagree with you for once Gavin. My best mate at University is a United fan, and he himself admits Neville is overrated, pointing out that a decent quality winger will usually skin him at least once a game.

g23
27-05-2002, 06:12 PM
But a decent winger should skin any full back in the world at least once a game! You think Maldini or Thuram never get beat?

wedgetail
27-05-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by g23
. He's by far the best right back in England,
Were is the vomit smillie when you need it.

GOD
27-05-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by g23
He's by far the best right back in England

:eek:

Strathclyde Eagle
27-05-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by g23
But a decent winger should skin any full back in the world at least once a game! You think Maldini or Thuram never get beat?
I don't fancy the idea of trying to make Thuram look stupid to be honest with you! ;)

Being slightly diversionary I know, but I'm surprised the French haven't moved Thuram into a central position rather than pick Leboeuf.

My final word on the subject is my only good memory of Gary Neville, the cross against Scotland in Euro '96 from which Shearer opened the scoring. Come on! :p

LLCOOLSTEVE
27-05-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by g23
Don't underestimate the importance of Gary Neville. Of course it's now a well-established sport to mock both brothers at every turn, but Gary is an integral part of Man Utd's success. Beckham credits him at every turn for the way he meshes with him down that right side. He's by far the best right back in England, and his absence is causing us more problems than, arguably, anyone else's would. !

Agree, tried to make that sort of point once before but was laughed at......

g23
27-05-2002, 06:34 PM
Eagerly awaiting GOD and wedgetail's list of better English right backs...

Meanwhile I'll assert that Gary Neville is an excellent crosser of the ball, is defensively sound, reads the game superbly and is able to fit whatever system of play Ferguson decides to use. Since Stam's departure he's been the best defender at one of Europe's top five clubs, but does so much more than just defend. Sorry, but I'm convinced the guy is world class.

Daniel_Nash
27-05-2002, 06:36 PM
To be fair to him, on experience Gary Neville is the best right back we have. He is not a hothead like Mills.. and fair enough, he isn't perfect but there are no players that are. Shame he isn't in the squad in some ways, but maybe this will make Mills calm down and realise he can be a good player and not a nutter.

Elephant with mouse gyp
27-05-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by g23

But that just shows the dearth of English right backs rather than any real quality Neville has.

g23
27-05-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
But that just shows the dearth of English right backs rather than any real quality Neville has.

True, but at least that way my point is half proven - he's the best we've got and we'll miss him. I wouldn't expect too many others to jump on the appreciation bus with me though.

GOD
27-05-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by g23

I don't think the BBS server could cope with that much data ;)

The problem is England has no world class full backs left or right (Ashely Cole may be one day hopefully) so why not play 3-5-2 instead and pack the midfield?

LLCOOLSTEVE
27-05-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by g23

I wouldn't expect too many others to jump on the appreciation bus with me though.

where do i buy a ticket???? :)

GOD
27-05-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by g23

True, but at least that way my point is half proven - he's the best we've got and we'll miss him. I wouldn't expect too many others to jump on the appreciation bus with me though.

I would love to but I don't think they take me 4 zone travelcard.

g23
27-05-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by GOD
The problem is England has no world class full backs left or right (Ashely Cole may be one day hopefully) so why not play 3-5-2 instead and pack the midfield?

Why not indeed? Just comes down to some managers playing a system at all costs, others playing to suit their personnel. Best not to go too far down that road though - it'll get too Palacey. :)

TAK
27-05-2002, 07:42 PM
Besides, who would we pack the midfield with at the moment?

g23
27-05-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by TAK
Besides, who would we pack the midfield with at the moment?

Full-backs of course! Do try and keep up, Mr Ali.

Elephant with mouse gyp
27-05-2002, 08:03 PM
Butt, Scholes, Hargreaves, Beckham and J.Cole aren't a bad five from which to perm three in any case.

britabroad
27-05-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Elephant with mouse gyp
Butt, Scholes, Hargreaves, Beckham and J.Cole aren't a bad five from which to perm three in any case.

eh....they are getting perms a la Kevin Keegan?:confused:

a bit like Romania bleaching their hair white!

Sunny Fan
27-05-2002, 09:13 PM
I also used to slate Neville, in fact I remember around this time last year arguing the toss about him one drunken evening with g23 around a year ago. I've watched him since, and I've come to the conclusion that Neville is actually very good. His last several performances for England have been excellent, both defensively and offensively; if you don't look out for him defencively you tend not to notice him; neat, tidy, rarely gives the ball away. Overlapping, supplying Beckham, providing a dummy runto give Beckham more space, and crossing is all good.
I disagree that he's the most missed player; I think a fit Steven Gerrard is, but England will miss him.

anti-addick
27-05-2002, 09:15 PM
I'd play Nicky Butt at right back. Any quality midfielder can play such a position - the easiest place to play on the pitch. The tricky part is getting them honed in with any offside traps.

g23
27-05-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Sunny Fan
I also used to slate Neville, in fact I remember around this time last year arguing the toss about him one drunken evening with g23 around a year ago. I've watched him since, and I've come to the conclusion that Neville is actually very good. His last several performances for England have been excellent, both defensively and offensively; if you don't look out for him defencively you tend not to notice him; neat, tidy, rarely gives the ball away. Overlapping, supplying Beckham, providing a dummy runto give Beckham more space, and crossing is all good.
I disagree that he's the most missed player; I think a fit Steven Gerrard is, but England will miss him.

See, I know stuff! (but not enough stuff to remember that Stevie G is missing - you're completely right on that one).

Nicky Butt at right back, eh? Bet you thought Alan Smith was a tactical genius! Next time Francis sticks Dougie on the left wing he'll know where to look for support, eh? After all, playing winger's 'easier' than centre-forward, isn't it?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
28-05-2002, 12:43 AM
Neville will be sorely missed. Isn't the most capped outfield player we have currently in the set-up? (Teddy could have more - I'm not sure. But apart from that Neville is the man.
Can create attacking moves, is fairly consistent at the back - can do a job in the middle of defence. A good influence around the squad. Links up well with Mr. Beckham. Easily, and without doubt the best right-back England have. Yes, we will miss him very much indeed.

Gerrard was obviously a huge blow, but, and I know I'm probably alone on this, but I believe that we might miss Neville just as much, if not more. Gerrard and Scholes were never an ideal parnership - both excellent, but I think we will have a better balance with one more defensive at the heart of our team. I also think the emergance of Owen Hargreves, who looks more accomplished with every game, helps to soften that blow. Gerrard will be badly missed but I think we can replace more easily than we can with Neville.

Too late to try now, but I would have liked to see wing-backs - A. Cole (left) and Dyer (if fit, right). Becks, Scholes, Hargreaves in the middle. Think its the best option with the players we have (presuming, touch wood, they all get back to fitness)

Justy C
28-05-2002, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't consider Gary Neville a world star like the NY Times seem to, but I think he will be missed for the national team. Plenty of experience now and very consistent - when I've seen him play for England in the last year or two you would probably give him 7/8 out of 10 each time. He has been a regular under the last 4 England managers. Danny Mills isn't as good as Neville but I don't think he is as bad as a lot of the media have made him out to be - he definitely gets my vote ahead of Wes Brown.

As for the midfield - Hargreaves has got to be a starter now, even if Butt is fit.

Steve in Phoenix
28-05-2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Eddie McGoldrick's tash
Neville will be sorely missed. Isn't the most capped outfield player we have currently in the set-up? (Teddy could have more - I'm not sure. But apart from that Neville is the man.
Can create attacking moves, is fairly consistent at the back - can do a job in the middle of defence. A good influence around the squad. Links up well with Mr. Beckham. Easily, and without doubt the best right-back England have. Yes, we will miss him very much indeed.

Yeah he is by far the most capped player other than Seaman. Ive always thought he fully deserved his place, unlike the other one. He is actually quite talented as people have pointed out but keeps it simple to be as effective as he can. Its depressing to think about which one we'll miss more.. Gerrard and Neville leave such gaping holes.

pete eagle
28-05-2002, 01:21 AM
I'm not a very big fan of Neville. When he is crossing the ball or passing he is very good, when he is one on one with an attacker he is pretty good as well.
My qualms with him is that his positioning is awful, he is always 2 or 3 yards behind everyone else playing the attackers onside (an example of this is Greece's second goal against us at Old Trafford and there are many more) which everyone knows by now and they are always looking to exploit it, he is also prone to an occasional bout of laziness in giving the ball away or taking too long to clear the ball etc,etc.

He is a good player but there are better quality right backs in the English Premiership - Stephen Carr springs to mind immediately, Jamie Carragher as well

Justy C
28-05-2002, 01:32 AM
Carragher was unlucky to miss out, his versatility in both full back positions and a central defensive position would have been useful to Sven although since the squad was announced I think he has had an operation (perhaps explaining why he missed out).

Stephen Carr is a good player (but Irish) but I like Steve Finnan (Irish - doh!).

Is it true we let him go as a trainee in the mid 90's? If so - Doh!:(

Ruskin Old Boy
28-05-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by bert head is god
This morning's New York Post includes their incisive and well informed World Cup preview. Among many gems was the following statement:

"In a World Cup missing players like Romario, Roberto Baggio, Gary Neville and Mehmet Scholl, will there be any stars left to shine?"

Poor research: plenty of Italians ahead of the Pony Tail. Romario is an interesting case: Brazilian manager/coach has taken plenty of stick over his non-selection (almost certainly down to his perceived disruptive influence on the rest of the squad).

And would agree with many of the comments above that Gary Neville will be missed.