PDA

View Full Version : Dyer Injury Boost?

Daniel_Nash
27-05-2002, 04:00 AM
from skysports.com

Kieron Dyer has told Sven-Goran Eriksson he will definitely be fit for the World Cup and could play in England's opening game against Sweden on June 2.

The Newcastle midfielder expects to resume a full training this week and is upbeat about his chance of taking part in the World Cup, which he looked certain to miss when his knee was injured by a terrible tackle by Southampton's Tahar El-Khalej just three weeks ago.

Dyer did some hard running and ball-juggling work on the pitch ahead of Sunday's 2-2 draw with Cameroon in England's final warm-up international.

He has already pledged to be completely honest with Eriksson when asked about his fitness for the finals.

But Dyer has no negative thoughts at present and claimed: "I'll definitely play in the World Cup. Things are going much better than I expected.

"I am training well and there is no pain. I am expecting to be back in full training this week. I could even be fit for the Sweden game.

"I've had to do a lot of work in the gym but it's been okay because I've had plenty of company! I've got a great chance.

"This is great for me because after that tackle I was extra low and thought that my World Cup dream was over and going to turn into a nightmare."

The positive forecast from Dyer will be welcome news for Eriksson and means he may not have to take the difficult decision of leaving out the player if he had not been fit for either of the first two games against the Swedes and Argentina.

He said: "If we think Kieron is going to struggle against Sweden and Argentina, then it is very doubtful that he would take part in the World Cup. Then I'd bring somebody else in.

"I hope he is fit for Sweden but if he is not going to be available for Argentina as well, then it is very doubtful that he'll take part."

What?
27-05-2002, 04:04 AM
Wahoo! This would be a great boost!