PDA

View Full Version : World Cup policy at AMDOCS. Internal mail to employees

anti-addick
30-05-2002, 01:02 PM
Fortunately I don't work for Amdocs, I don't even know what they do although they are pretty big. Anyway, as a footy fan I feel duty bound to share this internal mail with you. Feel free to send it worldwide to embarrass the fillthy scrooges.

<snip>
Subject: FW: Must read !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please do not forward this e-mail to anyone!
Thanks

-----Original Message-----
<snip>
Subject: Must read !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Amdocs employees,

2002 World Cup games in Japan and Korea are just around the corner and we realize, that many employees expect to watch the games. However, due to time differences, at certain countries where Amdocs operates the games will take place during working hours.

To keep absenteeism to a minimum and at the same time, accommodate Amdocs employees, the company has decided to let employees watch the games at work, wherever possible.

Special centers with TV sets will be designated in Amdocs' facilities for this purpose, wherever possible

Employees watching the games at Amdocs' sites should report the time spent watching the games at work as vacation time or, alternatively, make up the time so as to cover their weekly standard quota of hours.

All the above do not apply to employees at customer sites, who must comply with the code of business conduct that is in effect at the site, and with managers' guidelines at each individual site.

We urge you to demonstrate a mature approach and give the first priority to your work tasks and responsibilities.

We will inform you of the location of the designated centers, where TV sets will be available to watch the games, in a separate memo that will be sent soon.

Enjoy the games!!

Micky Kamin
VP Human Resources

"What a bunch of w@nkers" springs to mind. Our company have installed TV's and just verbally said "don't take the p*ss".

Smurph
30-05-2002, 01:08 PM
I think that's a very reasonable policy - at least they have one!

A.D.
30-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Doesn't seem that bad to me, they're providing tellies, and asking staff to make the time up if they watch the matches aren't they?

A lot of companies aren't even providing tv's so it could be a lot worse.

anti-addick
30-05-2002, 01:20 PM
Are you both nuts?? Or are you 'Catberts'?

They are asking people to take the minutes from matches out of their holiday for a one off event. What would you think if you'd have given 4 years somewhere, salaried, and worked hard. Most people do more than their contract says in a week without requesting anything. If I worked there the first thing i'd do is start working to rule - if everyone in that company done that then they'd soon see slips in sales and production.
It's not a Roman Galley, we aren't still sending children up chimneys you know!!

Dave
30-05-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by anti-addick
Are you both nuts?? Or are you 'Catberts'?

They are asking people to take the minutes from matches out of their holiday for a one off event. What would you think if you'd have given 4 years somewhere, salaried, and worked hard. Most people do more than their contract says in a week without requesting anything. If I worked there the first thing i'd do is start working to rule - if everyone in that company done that then they'd soon see slips in sales and production.
It's not a Roman Galley, we aren't still sending children up chimneys you know!!

You had 4 years to oraganise the time off already.

Ruskin Old Boy
30-05-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by anti-addick
Or are you 'Catberts'?

Hi Dilbert;) (Or are you Wally in disguise:p )

Reps AJ
30-05-2002, 01:34 PM
I thought it was pretty reasonable....

brighton_eagle
30-05-2002, 01:36 PM
Not to bad. At least they are willing to let people watch it. Some employers aren't doing that.

King Tubby
30-05-2002, 01:38 PM
As patriotic fervor builds around the World Cup we realise that there will be particular interest in certain matches so we will be installing a large screen in the Europe Room for the England v Nigeria and England v Argentina matches. In addition there are other televisions around the building which will allow you to keep up with the news during the tournament.

We would request that you donít bring portable televisions in to the bank, unless they are battery powered, as they could potentially represent a Health and Safety risk as well as an Operational Risk.

Please remember also that our clients will still expect our normal high level of service and I would ask managers to ensure that businesses are run on a 'business as usual' basis.

That's what the Bank of America are saying, personally there's no way I'm going to be in work on the days of those "certain matches."

DANGERMOUSE
30-05-2002, 01:48 PM
As a company policy, it's probably mid-table in terms of reasonableness.

My firm is letting people have the afternoon off for the Argentine game (or a half-day in lieu if you come back at 2.30 - sober!!) and will allow a late start for Nigeria.

Although companies have no duty to give people time off for nothing, in terms of the minimal disruption to business and potential kudos if they do (and crap staff morale if they don't) they might as well do so. After all, most of the economy will be on skeleton staff, one way or the other, so I can't imagine much business will be transacted during those matches.

AddiscombeEagle
30-05-2002, 01:57 PM
That sounds OK to me, it is a gesture in the right direction, it might not go all the way but for a big multi national company it is a decent effort.

firesign
30-05-2002, 02:03 PM
I agree it's not too bad - could be a lot worse.

SmithEagle
30-05-2002, 02:10 PM
Thats near enought the same as we got at work, I think it is reasonable! :-

This memo is being sent in conjunction with other company memos to clarify the approach of WE Directors to the World Cup.
The Directors have agreed that those staff who wish to watch the England games in the World Cup will be allowed to take time from work to enable them to do so. This is with the following provisos:
1. Staff must inform their Director (co-ordinated by *********) of their intention to be absent from the office in order to watch the World Cup.
2. Staff do not have to take the time as leave but can make up the hours by either coming in earlier or staying later. It is expected that the hours are made up either on the day or within 24 hours of the match.
3. The company policy on alcohol will be strictly observed and therefore it will not be acceptable for people to arrive at work following the game having spent their time drinking.
For those of you who wish to watch a lunchtime match and drink, it is requested that you book the afternoon off as leave. In order to allow us to plan our workload and ensure that deadlines are met, could you indicate your intentions as early as possible. If you have any doubt as to your ability to resist drinking during the match, it is requested that you book the time off as leave rather than suddenly decide during the match not to return to work. (This is particularly relevant to the Argentina England match, which happens on a Friday lunchtime).
This will allow all those who wish to watch the World Cup the facility to do so without penalising those who do not wish to watch it. Clearly this memo has been written on the basis that you support England, however if any of you have a strong allegiance to another World Cup team we are willing to extend the same terms to watch their matches. (However, it is not expected for you all to suddenly decide that you are half Irish or have an affinity with Cameroon).

anti-addick
30-05-2002, 02:53 PM
I like the way they've chucked in a little joke at the end!! It's not the same, it's more reasonable by far.

Sunny Fan
30-05-2002, 03:05 PM
All seems perfectly reasonable to me, I'm taking the first couple of weeks off and then working around games, putting in extra hours in the evenings to make up for it. They've just made that official policy and clarified what should be. And provided TVs. My company's got TVs for the games as well, think I'll go for the pub or home in the later rounds though.

candide
30-05-2002, 03:43 PM
sounds ok to me as well. at least they're providing the tv's and letting people watch if they want. there's no tv where i work, and i have a lot of overtime lined up for the next three weeks, so i expect to see nothing of the world cup at all. (thinking about letting the videomachine work overtime as well, though...)

King Tubby
30-05-2002, 05:14 PM
A friends just been made redundant, they've paid him the entire eight weeks left on his contract plus holiday AND he's now free to watch the World cup. B@stard.

anti-addick
30-05-2002, 10:47 PM
So if you all agree with it then how come you're losing 5-2 ?