PDA

View Full Version : Cheeky World Cup Bet - Have a think about this.....

Dai the Swansea Eagle
31-05-2002, 12:20 AM
Before reading on go and grab your World Cup Wall Chart.

I looked at the odds to win the World Cup, then noted that to Place (ie first or second) was half the quoted odds to Win the World Cup as an Each Way Bet.

Look at the draw – one half of the teams play in Japan and one half in Korea and the two halves only meet in the final. 3 of the top 4 favorites are in the Japan half – (Brazil, Argies & France). Ignore the Japan half of the tournament. In the Korea half of the draw is Italy (5/1 “antepost” for Cup), Spain (8/1), Portugal (14/1) and Germany (20/1 – Ladbrookes). The other teams in that half of the draw include Cameroon (33/1), Ireland (??/1 – difficult to say!!) and the likes of Croatia, Poland and Mexico – handy but hardly World Cup Winner material (80/1 +).

It is not an unreasonable to anticipate that the finalist from this half of the draw will come from one of Italy, Spain, Portugal and Germany. Cameroon could do it, but you’d have to agree anything other than one of those 5 would be a very large shock.

So ignoring Cameroon for the time being – lets say you were to put £1 on Italy “to place”, £1 on Spain to place, £1 on Germany to place and £1 on Portugal to place. If Italy reach the final you would be 50p out of pocket after collecting you winnings, if Spain reach the final you will be £1 up, if Portugal get there you will be £4 up and Germany were there you’ll be £7 up. As insurance you could put a 25p bet on Cameroon to reach the Final at approx 16/1 and you’ve effectively covered your stake. If you want more insurance just put small bets on the “outsiders” again worked out to cover the total amount of your stake. Like all things in life the amount of insurance you take is up to you.

Sounds interesting n’est pas?

I got on today – not without difficulty. William Hills tried to push me down the each way route – don’t do this – you’ll come unstuck if the team is runner up! – and Corals were exactly the same. However I got on at Ladbrookes. “Germany to reach World Cup Final 10 – 1” etc etc and a small insurance bet on Cameroon.

Don't go each way - it won't work - it has to be to place. You have been warned.

If you’re interested you’ve got to get on by the start of France v Senegal game. Probably teaching granny to suck eggs but ensure the bookie writes the odds on your slip – you could go to pick up your winnings and find you’ve got the odds for them winning the Final as at kick off of the Final ie next to nothing!!!!!!

If you’re a big time gambler this is probably chickenshit – but for a part time (at best) man like myself it doesn’t seem too bad. Baring a major shock the least I can expect is beer money...... (I increased the amount on Italy compared to the others).

Don't blame me if it doesn't come off - if it does and our paths ever cross I settle for a pint of bitter.

hong_kong_hg
31-05-2002, 12:43 AM
Interesting indeed, I might just have a punt on that.

And Dai me Swansea mucker, where have you been hiding yourself all these months? :)

Dai the Swansea Eagle
26-06-2002, 01:20 AM
Get in!

AshfordianEagle
26-06-2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Dai the Swansea Eagle
Get in!

So how did you get on, in profit I hope?

Dai the Swansea Eagle
28-06-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by AshfordianEagle

So how did you get on, in profit I hope?

I didn't do too badly...... more than enough to take Mrs Dai and the little 'un to an away game next season and stretch to a slap up meal at Little Chef on the way back ;)

Twyford Bee
28-06-2002, 02:02 AM
What's the difference between betting each way and place betting? Is it that you have to put a win bet on as well when you bet each way?

Chocky
28-06-2002, 10:03 AM
A bookie on sky yesterday said that someone put 43 grand on Brazil to win the cup before the competition started, he stands to win about 350 thousand quid.

The Germans could really bomb his chip shop on sunday.

Come on Brazil.

AlanW
29-06-2002, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Dai the Swansea Eagle
Before reading on go and grab your World Cup Wall Chart.

I looked at the odds to win the World Cup, then noted that to Place (ie first or second) was half the quoted odds to Win the World Cup as an Each Way Bet.

Look at the draw – one half of the teams play in Japan and one half in Korea and the two halves only meet in the final. 3 of the top 4 favorites are in the Japan half – (Brazil, Argies & France). Ignore the Japan half of the tournament. In the Korea half of the draw is Italy (5/1 “antepost” for Cup), Spain (8/1), Portugal (14/1) and Germany (20/1 – Ladbrookes). The other teams in that half of the draw include Cameroon (33/1), Ireland (??/1 – difficult to say!!) and the likes of Croatia, Poland and Mexico – handy but hardly World Cup Winner material (80/1 +).

It is not an unreasonable to anticipate that the finalist from this half of the draw will come from one of Italy, Spain, Portugal and Germany. Cameroon could do it, but you’d have to agree anything other than one of those 5 would be a very large shock.

So ignoring Cameroon for the time being – lets say you were to put £1 on Italy “to place”, £1 on Spain to place, £1 on Germany to place and £1 on Portugal to place. If Italy reach the final you would be 50p out of pocket after collecting you winnings, if Spain reach the final you will be £1 up, if Portugal get there you will be £4 up and Germany were there you’ll be £7 up. As insurance you could put a 25p bet on Cameroon to reach the Final at approx 16/1 and you’ve effectively covered your stake. If you want more insurance just put small bets on the “outsiders” again worked out to cover the total amount of your stake. Like all things in life the amount of insurance you take is up to you.

Sounds interesting n’est pas?

I got on today – not without difficulty. William Hills tried to push me down the each way route – don’t do this – you’ll come unstuck if the team is runner up! – and Corals were exactly the same. However I got on at Ladbrookes. “Germany to reach World Cup Final 10 – 1” etc etc and a small insurance bet on Cameroon.

Don't go each way - it won't work - it has to be to place. You have been warned.

If you’re interested you’ve got to get on by the start of France v Senegal game. Probably teaching granny to suck eggs but ensure the bookie writes the odds on your slip – you could go to pick up your winnings and find you’ve got the odds for them winning the Final as at kick off of the Final ie next to nothing!!!!!!

If you’re a big time gambler this is probably chickenshit – but for a part time (at best) man like myself it doesn’t seem too bad. Baring a major shock the least I can expect is beer money...... (I increased the amount on Italy compared to the others).

Don't blame me if it doesn't come off - if it does and our paths ever cross I settle for a pint of bitter.

I wish I had read this a month ago! B@stard!:D :D

Not you, Germany in the final!:p