PDA

View Full Version : Freddie Ljungberg

OOCO
31-05-2002, 07:38 PM
Still not in training. Anyone think he will play and it's mind games, or will he miss out?

Boris the charltonhater
31-05-2002, 07:41 PM
He'll miss out but Sweden will stil win. :rolleyes:

Scotty
31-05-2002, 07:44 PM
All mind games, he'll be on the pitch.

Georgie Boy
31-05-2002, 07:50 PM
The Sweden team are a bit naive if they are using this as a mind game.

Although FL is a terrific footballer, most of the England squad have played against or with him all of this season and last.

He is good, but I doubt the England players 'fear' him.

g23
31-05-2002, 08:02 PM
England should fear Sweden.

Qualifying: 8 wins, 2 draws, 3 goals conceded. Says it all.

LLCOOLSTEVE
31-05-2002, 08:07 PM
They are a solid team, and thats about it.........hard to break down but they don't score many themselves, probably be 1-0 either way.

Reps AJ
31-05-2002, 08:08 PM
He's not injured, he just not allowed to train with the others in case he punches anyone else...

John Smith
31-05-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by g23

Adding who they played says a bit more
Qualifying record

W 1-0 Azerbaijan (a)

D 1-1 Turkey (h)

D 0-0 Slovakia (a)

W 1-0 Macedonia (h)

W 2-0 Moldova (a)

W 2-0 Slovakia (h)

W 6-0 Moldova (h)

W 2-1 Macedonia (a)

W 2-1 Turkey (a)

W 3-0 Azerbaijan (h)

The away win in Turkey is the only really impresive result. Albeit you can only beat the teams out in front of you, our group was a lot harder.

g23
31-05-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by John Smith
Adding who they played says a bit more

You're right, it does. I was a bit presumptuous there. But if England had taken four points off Turkey, four points off Slovakia (who are a decent side), beaten anyone 6-0 and gone through a qualifying campaign undefeated you wouldn't even be able to get odds on them winning the World Cup. The whole country would be going even more mental than it is now.

Daniel_Nash
31-05-2002, 08:34 PM
True, the record is impressive.. but the opponents detract somewhat from the achievement. There is not much difference between 6-0 vs Moldova at home and 5-1 vs Germany away.

I think Freddie is good, not terrific. In the Arsenal side he is another good player with World Class players around him, in the Sweden side.. i am not so sure. I might be so bold to even say he is one of the few good players in a rather bland side.

g23
31-05-2002, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't disagree. Sweden can look a little bland. They are very consistent though, and to say they are without flair would be unfair. Their strength in depth is also excellent, and they are superbly managed and coached. While unlikely to win the thing, or steamroller anyone by a large score, they are also extremely unlikely to capitulate to anyone or under-perform. For me, this means they'll have greater success than England.

It'll be fun to find out though.

LLCOOLSTEVE
31-05-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by g23

It'll be fun to find out though.

Fun??!! ill be bricking it.........! :D ;)

g23
31-05-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
Fun??!! ill be bricking it.........! :D ;)

:D I won't - I'm 'tre kronor' not 'three lions'.

Daniel_Nash
01-06-2002, 06:16 AM
They are more of a "unit" than England, and for this they should be commended... but seeing as i was born, raised and learned to drink in England.. it has to be Wor England!

However, as i was raised by a Scot.. it must also be wor Scotland (notice the small w on Wor!)

PalaceFan in Alabama
01-06-2002, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by g23

I fear you, first it was 800 lb English supporters, now it is the teams chances in the World Cup. Do I assume you are one of those others, and I do not mean Brighton supporters :hmph: :D :p

Samo*
01-06-2002, 07:13 AM
Not long left now till out first game.
Come on England!
:)

LLCOOLSTEVE
01-06-2002, 08:18 PM
Sweden are facing an injury crisis after captain Patrick Andersson joined Freddie Ljundberg as a doubt for Sunday's England game.
Andersson limped out of the Swedes' final pre-match training session on Saturday.

The team were working on their shooting at Saitama Stadium, the venue for the Group F opener, when their captain was injured after firing in a left-foot drive.

The Barcelona defender lay on the ground for several minutes and limped slowly off the field with his left thigh bandaged.

A Sweden spokesman said,

"It's not good to have injuries in your squad but, if Ljundberg or Andersson can't play, we have other players who can step in"

Team officials refused to comment on the apparent injury, which happened about 50 minutes into the 90-minute session.

Most of the players walked straight to the team bus outside the stadium without talking to reporters.

Andersson, 30, left through another door to take a much shorter route to the bus.

The Swedish skipper is his country's most experienced player, with 96 caps, two World Cups and a European Championship under his belt.

But he only recently came back after being sidelined for nearly three months by torn knee ligaments.
Andersson is Sweden's most experienced player

Ljundberg took part in the same session but his participation against England remains in doubt.

Arsenal Ljundberg star has been struggling with a groin injury this week but appeared on the pitch at Saitama Stadium with the rest of Lars Lagerback's squad.

He went through gentle stretching exercises and ball juggling in the 15 minutes of the session that were open to the media.

Swedish team officials made no comment about the player's condition and further fitness tests are expected before a final decision is made on whether to play him or not.

A Sweden spokesman said no further comment would be made before Sunday's match.

"He's our David Beckham," the spokesman said, referring to the England captain whose recovery from a foot injury has also been shrouded in secrecy.