PDA

View Full Version : Dom Fifield's World Cup Diary

Neil the Eagle
01-06-2002, 04:48 PM
Similar to those excellent reports he used to file from China, you can find Dom's take on the World Cup from his Korean base at www.palace-echo.com

PalaceFan in Alabama
01-06-2002, 05:23 PM
Welcome Dom, to International travel. One has not experienced travel until one has visited the Far East. Who would think that the Bluebell Railway would be considered First Class! One has not flown until one has boarded a 'YAK' loaded with locals and their various loads. Next time they tell me I am on a 'YAK' I hope it is the animal :cool:

Back to the Diary, look forward to reading them. :p

Mat ov CPFC
02-06-2002, 12:07 AM
Just read the first installments. Excellent. Makes me really envious that I am not there.

Skin Up
02-06-2002, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Mat ov CPFC
. Makes me really envious that I am not there.

I agree that the diary is excellent and thanks Neil & Dominic for making it available for all.

However I am soooooo pleased I haven't wasted what would be close to quarter a years wages on going to Japan. The football has been OK so far but the atmosphere has been diabolical.

This competition has really given me a taste to visit Japan for a holiday as it looks to be a beautiful country but I cannot see the point of going all that way to sit in slience because the home fans do not have the same interest in football.

Glad i've saved up, roll on Portugal 2004:p

*I'm fully prepared to eat my words if/when England do well because I would love to be in the flesh to see a England win over Argentina*

04-06-2002, 01:00 AM
I've been fortunate enough to go to Japan many times in my life and if you do save up and go, which I definitely recommend, do the following:
1. Go to one of the five annual Sumo grand championships - there is one in each of the five major cities. They last all day for around five days and you buy a bamboo matted area in which you sit - on the mats (seats up to 6) . You are served drinks and can place your bets from these mats. Further back are rows of seats going up into galleries which are cheaper. Don't just turn up, it's like FA Cup Final day - you'll need to book in advance.
2. Go to Nara and Kyoto - these are beautiful old Japanese cities which have fantastic temples, gardens, maintained by Shinto priests.
3. Go during the season of pilgrimages and climb to the top of Mount Fuji - this is done through the night on foot following a foot trail, so you can see the dawn rise at the top of the snow-capped volcano.
4. Go during Boy's Day (if you're a boy) - Boy's Day means just that - it's Christmas Day and your Birthday all rolled into one.
5. Travel on the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Osaka or Kobe or Sapporo and ask yourself how come we can't run a railway like that.
6. Go to the Tokyo fish market early in the morning.
7. Buy chilled cans of beer and tasty Japanese snacks from 24-hour street vending machines, which are never vandalised, never out of stock, always give exact change and are just fantastic when you've run out of beer at the party.
8. Have a Japanese bath - very deep wooden tubs that you can stand in, ultra-hot, lots of sea-type scenty things that are good for you.
You can also go skiing, hiking, fishing, surfing, swimming, hot-spring mud-bathing, and thousands of other things. The Tokyo Metro is absolutely bloody brilliant. The Tokyo Metropolitan Building is a staggering sky-scraper. Food is absolutely fantastic.
Things not to do:
1. Don't buy whisky - unless it's a Japanese brand. The Japanese have a total love affair with Scotch whisky and it is indescribably expensive.
2. Don't bother with Roppongi - if you're into that kind of thing try: Bangkok, Amsterdam, Hamburg, LA, Paris, Rio, Prague.
3. Don't slag off the Emperor.
Have a good trip.

Clapham Grand
04-06-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Skin Up

I agree that the diary is excellent and thanks Neil & Dominic for making it available for all.

However I am soooooo pleased I haven't wasted what would be close to quarter a years wages on going to Japan. The football has been OK so far but the atmosphere has been diabolical.

Really? The atmos at Brazil v Turkey was very good (thanks to the Turkish fans) and I am expecting an electric atmos for when I go to Korea v Poland tonight

Clapham Grand
06-06-2002, 11:41 AM
Next instalments now on www.palace-echo.com!

Bumping it up :p

Ruskin Old Boy
08-06-2002, 05:09 PM
Just caught up with the latest instalment. Great stuff, thanks Palace Echo:p

And good to see the raw material in the pages of the G a few days later - thinking of the taxi driver who didn't speak English.

The Omen
10-06-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Skin Up

This competition has really given me a taste to visit Japan for a holiday as it looks to be a beautiful country but I cannot see the point of going all that way to sit in slience because the home fans do not have the same interest in football.

Glad i've saved up, roll on Portugal 2004:p

*I'm fully prepared to eat my words if/when England do well because I would love to be in the flesh to see a England win over Argentina*

You could not be more wrong!! The atmosphere out here is SUPERB!! The Japanese are going crazey, especially for England and now also Japan because they are doing so well.

If you walk down the street anywhere in Japan, cars beep their horns, people lean out of windows shouting "England" and familys stop you and ask for photos. Its like being a celebrity out here.

Ive been offered a job and Im seriously considering not coming back - Japan is the dogs!

The Omen
16-06-2002, 04:09 AM
ATMOSPHERE@DIABOLICAL!!! LMFAO!!

Did you see the pictures of Korea and Japan celebrating!!! It was like new years in London - just 20 times bigger!!!

COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Jaffa
16-06-2002, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by The Omen

You could not be more wrong!! The atmosphere out here is SUPERB!! The Japanese are going crazey, especially for England and now also Japan because they are doing so well.

If you walk down the street anywhere in Japan, cars beep their horns, people lean out of windows shouting "England" and familys stop you and ask for photos. Its like being a celebrity out here.

Ive been offered a job and Im seriously considering not coming back - Japan is the dogs!

You got offered a job?

The Omen
16-06-2002, 04:17 AM
Yep. Im coming home first though. Ive been talking to a lot of people - first pay of my debts, then learn a bit more Japanese than I have already picked up - and finally fly out here and find work.

The job I got offered was in a lively bar in Roppongi - the foreign capital of Tokyo. Decided to be sensible though and wait a bit.

Al From Bromley
18-06-2002, 02:58 AM
"Decided to be sensible though and wait a bit"

Silver service or is it in Japan's equivalent of a greasy spoon?