PDA

View Full Version : England vs Sweden

LLCOOLSTEVE
02-06-2002, 03:54 AM
As i won't be here when the match kicks off i just wanted to say Come on England!!!!!! Im all excited already!!! (Prob be a bore draw though ;) )

Skin Up
02-06-2002, 04:01 AM
If ever a match had 1-1 written all over it this is it.

We always start badly we will draw tomorrow and beat Argentina & Nigeria.

N
02-06-2002, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by LLCOOLSTEVE
(Prob be a bore draw though ;) )
Agree.

sydney eagle
02-06-2002, 04:04 AM
I Think England will have a bright start to the tournament and a comprehensive 2-0 win

Owen and Scholes

johanncryuff
02-06-2002, 04:14 AM
1-1 Larson scores first, owen equalises.
Beckham hits post with last minute free kick.

Argies beat Nigeria 3-2, with two men from each sent off, and countless other bookings.
Buy the bookings index with Cantor!!!

Stavros 69
02-06-2002, 04:20 AM
Sorry lads we'r going to lose. I dont make the rules i just try and follow them

Samo*
02-06-2002, 09:29 AM
ENGLAND 3 SWEEDEN 1

Come on you lions!

NZsparky
02-06-2002, 09:40 AM
Come on England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samo*
02-06-2002, 09:43 AM
http://www.englandfanzine.co.uk/squad/beckham.gif

sydney eagle
02-06-2002, 09:51 AM
I just got odds of 17/1 for Paul scholes to score first :p :p

Come on you Ging get me the money :o

Samo*
02-06-2002, 10:10 AM
He isnt playing mate!

sydney eagle
02-06-2002, 10:17 AM
:veryangry :veryangry :veryangry

you sure SAMO?

Samo*
02-06-2002, 10:21 AM
Beckham's new boots have a japanese ninja war cry inscribed on them.

:)

Samo*
02-06-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by sydney eagle
:veryangry :veryangry :veryangry

you sure SAMO?

Here fishy fishy

Daniel_Nash
02-06-2002, 10:34 AM
Come on the England!!

I could get used to this getting up in the MORNING lark, seems quite nice out at 6am! eerily quiet though!

2-1 england win. Owen and Beckham.

sydney eagle
02-06-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by SAMO*

Here fishy fishy :moo:

OOCO
02-06-2002, 01:42 PM
Freddie starts.

Seaman

Mills, Campbell, Ferdinand, Cole

Beckham, Hargreaves, Scholes, Heskey

Owen Vassell

Son of Shacker
02-06-2002, 01:58 PM
B&Q 2 Owen, Vassell
Ikea 1 Larsson

IWCW the return
02-06-2002, 02:34 PM
I see a Palace flag! :)

congress
02-06-2002, 02:38 PM
TWO BIG PALACE FLAGS!

Stonewall
02-06-2002, 02:44 PM
I see two palace flags, one near the halfway, one behind seamans goal on the far side

Les Butler
02-06-2002, 02:45 PM
Jeez it's kick and hoof time, there necks must hurt looking up at the ball !

Les Butler
02-06-2002, 02:54 PM
Yes sol !!!!!! 1-0 Engaland !

selhurst
02-06-2002, 03:20 PM
1-0 @half-time, but you get the feeling that England really need to score another, to win this.

sydney eagle
02-06-2002, 03:21 PM
I thought we have been in total control.:p Vassell is chasing everything down,Sol and Rio look good at the back,Becks looks good...the only disappointment for me so far has been Michael owen.

COME ON ENGLAND

Mat ov CPFC
02-06-2002, 03:23 PM
England just need to play more football ie stop just punting it forward. We can get another 2 or 3 if we just start passing the bloody ball.

But what ever the result I am a happy man !

sydney eagle
02-06-2002, 03:25 PM
maybe put someone like Joe Cole on in the second half,I have a feeling he'd be the type of player to take over this game

Les Butler
02-06-2002, 03:25 PM
jesus.. Canadian TV, Hardgraves is the whole highlights here..oh and the goal....

02-06-2002, 03:33 PM
Morning all.

Watching it in Spanish as that's the only feed.

Bit too much hoofing - not too impressed with the frontline. But Hargreaves, Scholes and Cole look pretty impressive and the defence as a whole seems pretty sound. Sweden look competent but not too impressive I'd say. We're going to need another though.

If anyone knows of web commentary I'd prefer to put that on than try to understand what these Mexicans are saying.

Grunt
02-06-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Morning all.

Watching it in Spanish as that's the only feed.

Bit too much hoofing - not too impressed with the frontline. But Hargreaves, Scholes and Cole look pretty impressive and the defence as a whole seems pretty sound. Sweden look competent but not too impressive I'd say. We're going to need another though.

If anyone knows of web commentary I'd prefer to put that on than try to understand what these Mexicans are saying.

That was me, that was.

Les Butler
02-06-2002, 03:41 PM
Jesus the ref give us the free kick that was a sure pen for the swedes

Les Butler
02-06-2002, 03:47 PM
If we play like this against the other teams in our group we will be done up like kippers. No flow bad passing. moan moan moan.

Les Butler
02-06-2002, 03:47 PM
1-1 could see it coming

Panman268
02-06-2002, 03:54 PM
Can anyone tell me?.......Is Michael Owen playing? His name was on the sheet but I havent seen him touch the ball. Heskey playing left side midfield? What a joke! He keeps forgetting which way we're kicking! Nice to see a Palace flag on the far side in Sweden's half just before the touchline.

Les Butler
02-06-2002, 03:55 PM
We could have been 3-1 down,we look nothing.

Panman268
02-06-2002, 03:55 PM
We're gonna get creamed if we arent careful:confused:

Les Butler
02-06-2002, 04:22 PM
What a load of bollox..............
2nd half we just did not turn up,looked like a team of individuals rather than a team.Owen one shot thats it and the Swedes should have scored in extra time. Real bland and in my mind more chance of losing than winning.

Mat ov CPFC
02-06-2002, 04:24 PM
" Its just like watching Palace "

Useless *****

Dave
02-06-2002, 04:24 PM
Oh dear

sydney eagle
02-06-2002, 04:27 PM
Sven taking off Vassell made my blood boil,he takes off our best player and leaves michael owen on who did feck all the whole game.Ashley Cole and especially that c*nt danny Mills:grrr: are a liability at the back.At least Sol and Rio looked quite strong

we were absolute sh!te in the second half and deserved to lose it

Panman268
02-06-2002, 04:30 PM
Shoulda took Heskey off earlier ...like before the game

selhurst
02-06-2002, 04:31 PM
Very disappointing performance, but also very predictable. There was no creativity, no fight and no passion. Some of those players were way out of their depth (Ashley Cole, Owen Hargreaves etc), but what saddened me most was the lack of passion. During the second-half England looked like they were playing for the draw. At this rate they will be home next week.

Daniel_Nash
02-06-2002, 04:31 PM
The form is average to bad with immediate need for improvement.

Plus sides are that Dyer and Beckham played some minutes, altho both look off the pace.

What annoys me about the Sweden goal is that after Mills' clearance, then the rest of the defence just watched Alexandersson come towards them and shoot. Not one moved out to block him. Second half, Rio Ferdinand looked lost, Owen didn't get any breaks and seemed out of his league!

Mills looked ok, temper under control and there were times he could have lost it. Seaman saved us, and i am sure they know this.

02-06-2002, 04:33 PM
Why did England pick Samo* :eek:
(or was it Danny Mills)

Daniel_Nash
02-06-2002, 04:35 PM
Darius Vassell looked like Tupac Shakur!!!

Danny Mills looked like a little garden pixie! Nice pointy ears!

ruediger
02-06-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Why did England pick Samo* :eek:
(or was it Danny Mills)

oops, that was me posting.

ozzieEagle
02-06-2002, 04:41 PM
now we will see how good sven really is, gotta beat the argies aint we !!! coz, argentina, are coming off the back of a win, and sweden play the losing nigerians !!!

ok sven show us how you earn your money !!!!

(i think england, can improve on that, and at times looked really good, oh for some damn consistency !!)

Steve C
02-06-2002, 04:42 PM
Who takes the blame for that load of old tosh???? Look no further than our Manager, wrong tactics and a failure to do anything about it,he throw it away.:veryangry :grrr: :veryangry

Daniel_Nash
02-06-2002, 04:44 PM
Look see:

Vassell

http://library.tupac-online.com/images/gallery/thumbnails/7.jpg

Tupac

http://www.cn174world.co.uk/worldcupper/image_vassell.jpg

Photos from tupac-online.com and cn174world.co.uk

Celestial Empire
02-06-2002, 05:01 PM
First half : head tennis, show boating, not getting forward fast enough, Beckham at about 50%, Owen at about 70%. Swedes - men behind the ball, covering every tackle. Swedish fans pretty quiet, England fans really noisy.

Second half : Beckham off, Vassall off, Dyer on at about 10% (hardly touched the ball), Joe Cole on, did nothing at all (by then the whole team had lost it's shape). Mills is a liability - always out of position. Hargreaves is just not up to the mid-field ball winning role yet. The Swedes dominated mid-field and just came pouring through - I am hard put to remember one tackle or divided ball that England won - can nobody in this team tackle ???? Bring back Butt or Southgate :eek: :eek: :eek:
Owen, off-form and out of sorts couldn't even hold his game together, let alone be captain. Maybe Sheringham should have come on for Heskey. Reminded me of Euro 96 against modest Switzerland.
Swedish fans taking the Mick (cardboard cut-outs of Sven), English fans looking and feeling foolish.

Sweden only have about 6 decent players, but are a team and have World Cup pedigree, England ain't and don't.
Now Sven knows what managing England is all about - the Sun will have a field day tomorrow !

AJ
02-06-2002, 05:43 PM
That's hard on Mills. He did make a poor clearance, but, I felt that no one picked up the Swedish goalscorer. Also, I would have expected Seaman to have done better, as it was nearly straight at him. Although, Seaman made some great stops in the game.
The England midfield was very poor. Beckham ran all over the field in the first half and no wonder he was knackered.
Heskey is not a midfielder and this showed, as Heskey probably made more of poor service in his time up front than the other England strikers.
The England team did not really challenge for the ball, which was a problem.
At least this make the Argie game more exciting! All or nothing kind of game.

Gooders
02-06-2002, 05:44 PM
Bump.

Why oh why do I have to follow Palace and England?

They do this to me every time - you get all excited and full of anticipation and more often than not you get a performance like that.

Sweden were there for the taking and ended up looking the most likely winners.

No imagination, no skill, no creativity - just lump it forward and hope something drops for you. Pathetic.

Vassell did ok (why did he go off and the non-existent Owen stay on?)

Beckham obviously wasn't fit.

Dyer and Cole could at least have looked interested when they came on. :rolleyes:

Mills - plonker (but Seaman should have saved it - it was straight at him for ****s sake)!

We are so far short of being able to compete at this level it's untrue. Can't blame the manager - the players just aren't good enough. Oh well, at least we've only got to wait until Friday to be put out of our misery - just hope we don't get embarrassed.

:(

PalaceFan in Alabama
02-06-2002, 05:45 PM
Very disappointed :veryangry

Stavros 69
02-06-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire
First half : head tennis, show boating, not getting forward fast enough, Beckham at about 50%, Owen at about 70%. Swedes - men behind the ball, covering every tackle. Swedish fans pretty quiet, England fans really noisy.

Second half : Beckham off, Vassall off, Dyer on at about 10% (hardly touched the ball), Joe Cole on, did nothing at all (by then the whole team had lost it's shape). Mills is a liability - always out of position. Hargreaves is just not up to the mid-field ball winning role yet. The Swedes dominated mid-field and just came pouring through - I am hard put to remember one tackle or divided ball that England won - can nobody in this team tackle ???? Bring back Butt or Southgate :eek: :eek: :eek:
Owen, off-form and out of sorts couldn't even hold his game together, let alone be captain. Maybe Sheringham should have come on for Heskey. Reminded me of Euro 96 against modest Switzerland.
Swedish fans taking the Mick (cardboard cut-outs of Sven), English fans looking and feeling foolish.

Sweden only have about 6 decent players, but are a team and have World Cup pedigree, England ain't and don't.
Now Sven knows what managing England is all about - the Sun will have a field day tomorrow !

I agree here. I think it's time for wing backs. Rio, Sol, Southgate at the back. Asley cole and Hargreeves as wing backs. Beckam, scholes, Butt or Cole

Owen and Vassell up front. Worth a try i think. Asley Cole is far better in the last 1/3 of the pitch. Let him push up the left wing.

LLCOOLSTEVE
02-06-2002, 06:14 PM
It was sh!t............:(

Vassell was best player for most of the game and was taken off, other than him only Campbell looked up for it..........Owen was non-existent, Heskey should have more confidence in his ability to beat players on the outside and run at them, Hargreaves was trying but seemed a little lost and although didnt do anything wrong he didn't do alot, Schole's was very quiet and always went backwards rather than forward, Beck's looked very tired, and the defence looked over exposed far too much.

Celestial Empire
02-06-2002, 06:16 PM
On the Korean TV, they showed an Alexandersson's eye view of the goal. There was another Swedish player right in front of Seaman, and I think he didn't see the ball until too late.

Gooders : that's how I feel too.

Each week we see the limited Alexandersson for Everton, then he does this !
Despite his goal Campbell always looks dodgy, even for the Arse. I'm almost ready to opt for Keown.

Jimbo ?
02-06-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Skin Up
If ever a match had 1-1 written all over it this is it.

Not bad!!!

not agreat result but we are still in there!!
we need to win both the other 2 games to win the group!! thatwill be hard especially after the way we played today!!! we just lost it in the second half - beckam dissapeared from the game and we were nothing!!!

CK
02-06-2002, 06:45 PM
Just got back from a very heated club viewing...................Maybe I fly in the face of all before me.....again..... but if you take away 1 monumental c/up. Danny Mills was arguably our best player. Kept aware, kept his temper in check, used his brain on a number of occasions and kept going forward, after the equaliser he was about the only player to keep his head up and have a go.

When is everybody gonna accept that most teams are technically beter than us and that it's the Mills, Keowns and Adams's, that keep us going. Bring on the 'craftsmen' when they are good enough.

By the way, Vassel is quality.

:p

pete eagle
02-06-2002, 06:57 PM
At the start of the game in the pub i told everyone it would be a 1-1 draw and so it ended up.

The disappointment was that Sweden had absolutely no clue what they were doing in the first 35 minutes and England really should have killed the game off but the long ball game won out and Sweden came back into it.
Mills and Seaman have to jointly accept responsibility as Seaman should have come and got it and then had plenty of time to get back on his line because if he had it would have been an easy save. But there were 4 or 5 players around Alexandersson but not one of them pressed him to make him fluff it or at least make it harder for him. Heskey isn't a left winger,Butt needs to be back for the Argentina game and Sheringham should play as well

Celestial Empire
02-06-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by CK

When is everybody gonna accept that most teams are technically beter than us and that it's the Mills, Keowns and Adams's, that keep us going. Bring on the 'craftsmen' when they are good enough.

:p

NEVER, because it is nonsense of course.

OOCO
02-06-2002, 07:18 PM
I would also partly blame Ferdinand. Stood there while the attacker came at him and then stood right infront of Seaman. Never mind. I think people's expectations are incredibly high.

Rash the Smash
02-06-2002, 07:34 PM
Some of you may know that young Rasher is an Evertonian and so (purely out of fatherly duty)I get to see them a few times a season. On past evidence there should be an enquiry as to who the Swedish player is that is masquerading as Alexandersonn because it can't possibly be the bloke that turns out for Everton. Come to think of it Linderoth looked a bit useful as well. Clones I reckon. Clint or Berhalter have to score in the tournament now to shut up the little fellas "well, at least Everton players score in the World Cup." :sob:

PeterH
03-06-2002, 01:02 AM
I am not too disappointed. We threw it away in the second half, but lets face it the Swedes were being criticised in the first half.

Many on here would have taken a draw at the start. Two unfit players an untried Joe Cole, and really missing Gerrard.

We are not going to come close to winning this thing, but if we were honest we knew that. Too weak in defence and midfield.

Positives:

I thought A. Cole and S Campbell were pretty good, although you cannot afford one mistake at this level.

Vassell looks great, but doesn't need to keep proving it now.

Games played by Beckham and Dyer.

Scholes looked good.

Kick up the @rse for Sven as far as formation and tactics are concerned.

Question: Do you put Owen on the bench for Argentina, or is that a game that suits his skills better?

ozeagle
03-06-2002, 01:17 AM
no Fowler ?

Daniel_Nash
03-06-2002, 02:06 AM
I think Owen should start the next game, they know about his pace but it should still scare the **** out of them. IF he can get on the ball and run at them, get them turned round and get behind them. Their defence looked a bit dodgy in places.

Beckham and Dyer have a few more days to sort themselves out, Scholes looked ok today but he really really needs to work on his tackling.

sydney eagle
03-06-2002, 02:32 AM
There is NO way Owen should be benched,I mean he had one bad game,the guy isn't superman,he can't score with every touch of the ball.He will come good against Argentina,I think he has done enough for England in the past for us all to forgive him for one bad game innit:)

Gooders
03-06-2002, 05:11 AM
Owen had a 'mare but I agree that he shouldn't be dropped. The lads up front had no sort of service after all - what we need, what we are crying out for, is a midfield!

PalaceFan in Alabama
03-06-2002, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Gooders
what we need, what we are crying out for, is a midfield!

So are the Palace, most of the good midfielders are at the World Cup, but are playing for other countries :(

DennisUphill
03-06-2002, 07:15 AM
I thought that Eriksson as manager would be a Godsend for English football, I just hope this was a one off display.
Otherwise it seems we have learnt nothing over the past 20 years.
Heskey, stuck on the wing winning headers, very handy.
Vassell, making defenders look stupid without supplying a telling cross/pass, again on the wing, very impressive.
Qwen, two men up his klakka the whole game, so keep wacking high balls to him, sensible.
Scholes, almost invisible offensively.
Ferdinand, flatters to deceive, over rated & overpriced. I'm sure people see him as the second coming of Beckenbauer, not in a blue fit!
Give us a centre half who wins the ball and frightens the opposition, a kick bollock and bite merchant, not a pretty boy.
As has been said Mills only made one cockup, admittedly a ******* of one. The rest of the defence dropped their bundle after the Swede's goal, unforgivable.
With the imports now playing in the UK our home growns have improved technically, why the phukk can't they show it on the world stage.
After watching every game so far, I have to say that even the Saudi's tried to play football even thogh totally outgunned by the Boche.
Thus far we are coming a very miserable last, and Christ it hurts

CK
03-06-2002, 12:38 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by CK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEVER, because it is nonsense of course....

Really? The telly just pointed out that Lucius, Kafu, Roberto Carlos are defenders. We look at Rio as cultured.
You've gotta be good at what you do best not what you want to be good at. Which also means playing to your teams strengths and this squad screams for 3 across the back to me. We've spent half a season watching a team playing in the wrong formation:eek: Maybe Sven and Francis have something in common after all.:rolleyes:

Celestial Empire
03-06-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by CK
quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

When is everybody gonna accept that most teams are technically beter than us

Really? The telly just pointed out that Lucius, Kafu, Roberto Carlos are defenders. We look at Rio as cultured.
You've gotta be good at what you do best not what you want to be good at. Which also means playing to your teams strengths and this squad screams for 3 across the back to me. We've spent half a season watching a team playing in the wrong formation:eek:

You say "most teams are technically beter than us" then try to prove it by the example of Brazil, still one of the 3 most "technically gifted teams in the world", what about the other 30 teams at the World Cup ?

I think A. Cole and Hargreaves ARE as technically gifted as Lucius & Cafu, just a lot less experienced. (Roberto Carlos has been fading for a couple of years and didn't impress against the Turks - maybe why Real are ready to offload him to the Mancs ?)

We are all disappointed with a poor display agin' Sweden, but this group (especially the youngsters), represent the best crop we have had for decades.

Daniel_Nash
03-06-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Celestial Empire

We are all disappointed with a poor display agin' Sweden, but this group (especially the youngsters), represent the best crop we have had for decades.

For many of these players it is their first major competition in an England shirt, you have to allow for nerves. Qualifiers against Albania, Finland and Greece are nothing compared to a finals match.

I can honestly see a completely different England side, maybe not in personnel but in mentality, going out on friday and really giving it some to the Argies. Not taking any of their diving ****, knocking the ball about like they can do, punishing the chances when they arise and really knocking the Argies off stride and rattling them.

Heskey has done it to them once in a friendly, we have spanked the Germans in their own back yard.. this might be our kick up the arse, a chance to play like we have done and we can...

Argentina only look good when they can have the game their own way, put the wind up them and challenge them and watch them crumble.

SKATE
03-06-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Mat ov CPFC
" Its just like watching Palace "

Just what i thought.

Pistike
03-06-2002, 10:05 PM
I thought Emile Heskey played well but then according to Cruyff Eagle I talk poo.

johanncryuff
04-06-2002, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Pistike
I thought Emile Heskey played well but then according to Cruyff Eagle I talk poo.

Don't start big boy;)
A little playful criticism of your inept display at half time analysis. Are you the type to bear a grudge

Chantelle
04-06-2002, 03:59 PM
i think our biggest problem is that we're lacking a leader. someone to really get the lads going when heads are down. by this i mean there is no ince or adams type player to reallly get us going.

Daniel_Nash
04-06-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Chantelle
i think our biggest problem is that we're lacking a leader. someone to really get the lads going when heads are down. by this i mean there is no ince or adams type player to reallly get us going.

Or even a Shearer type :( Really wish he was still there.

sydney eagle
04-06-2002, 05:52 PM
come on England:love: :love: :love:

AJ
04-06-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Pistike

A guy I work with, was really impressed with Heskey. He had never heard of him and thought he was the best England forward on display, something I have to agree with.

Saying that, England need to play Heskey and either Owen or Vassel to start, this WC is quite physical, plus, Heskey can fall/dive as good as any Argie, I have ever seen:p :p

Chantelle
04-06-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Daniel_Nash

Or even a Shearer type :( Really wish he was still there.

i agree. funny though because when shearer was playing i really hated him and got so annoyed when he did nothing and yet played every match

i love him back know though

Samo*
04-06-2002, 06:28 PM
impressed with Heskey,your having a laugh.What has he done for England the passed 6 games,ok he is a good player,and has set a couple up,but he needs to find the net more.Surley Owen is our best forward.

Rash the Smash
04-06-2002, 08:50 PM
The Owen/Vassell debate is rendered unimportant unless they get much better service from the midfield. Both like the ball played through the channels rather than belted up to them from distance and neither are great at holding the ball up. Heskeys distribution is woeful and he is not in great form through the middle. I wouldn't mind seeing this team and formation against the Argies.

Seaman
Keown Campbell Ferdinand

Beckham Scholes Butt Hargreaves

Sheringham

Owen Vassell

johanncryuff
05-06-2002, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by SAMO*
Surley Owen is our best forward.
He's quite mild mannered, even tempered etc, Never has he been called surly before;)

ozzieEagle
05-06-2002, 04:34 AM
Hmmm the player that least impressed me was hargraves, and the one that most impressed was heskey, weird how we see things differently annit ???

Dont forgot England won that 1st half, close to convincingly, twas the 2nd half crap that everyone is dwelling on.

i'll be amazed if they dont play and give their best against the argies.

chance rate imho re the argies, england win between 35pct and 40 pct england draw about 40 pct to 50 pct, argie win somewhere between 55 and 60 pct.

the gaps are the unpredictables ;)

brighton_eagle
05-06-2002, 05:20 AM
I actually think our problems against sweden were more tactical than about personnel.

Since the Germany game we have stuttered, never really impressing. The desire to get the ball quickly up to Owen has stultified any passing game that the players might want to play. If you hit long balls up against a tall strong defence, you better have a forward up there who can win the ball and hold it up. We didn't have that on Sunday. So we lose posession, and then our central midfielders are on the back foot, trying to win it back again. I thought both Hargreaves and Scholes covered an awful lot of ground trying to do this. But there's no point winning the ball back when you just give it away again immediately.

I would like to see Sven do two things. Firstly, change the formation. We don't have a left winger, so don't play with one. Instead, play three at the back, with wingbacks, like so:

Seaman
Southgate/Keown Ferdinand Campbell
Mills Beckham Hargreaves Scholes A.Cole
Sheringham Owen

Heskey could interchange with Sheringham, Vassel with Owen, if needed. You could also try Hargreaves at right wing back, and Butt in the holding role in the middle. I think this would give us the best balance, with the team we have. Ashley Cole is a good attacking prospect on the left, and would have more freedom to go forward with the cover of three at the back and a holding midfielder to fill in if needed. We desperately need to win the midfield, particularly against Argentina, and a 5 man midfield woould help us.

Secondly, I would like to see the team playing the ball through midfield, instead of lumping it up the field. Hold on to possession and try and breach the Argentinian defence. We can hit them with Owen's pace if the opportunity arises, but we need some variety in our game plan.

ozzieEagle
05-06-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
I

Seaman
Southgate/Keown Ferdinand Campbell
Mills Beckham Hargreaves Scholes A.Cole
Sheringham Owen

Secondly, I would like to see the team playing the ball through midfield, instead of lumping it up the field. Hold on to possession and try and breach the Argentinian defence. We can hit them with Owen's pace if the opportunity arises, but we need some variety in our game plan.

Agree with all your points brighton, we also need ball winners though and those that can hang on to it, as this is a make or break game re the argentinians, i would take a risk, and start joe cole somewhere, he seems of the same mould as kewell, and owen. ;), with j cole and owen interchanging positions at various times on the feild together ;)

its almost like england are missing one vital player, i reckon joe cole could be it !

sydney eagle
05-06-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by ozzieEagle
Hmmm the player that least impressed me was hargraves, and the one that most impressed was heskey, weird how we see things differently annit ???

I thought Owen Hargraves was fairly good in the first but awful in the second as was the rest of them. Scholes for me was awful,Owen was also awful. In the second half the entire midfield was cack and I thought the only one who could be 100% proud of his efforts was Darius Vassell