PDA

View Full Version : Prem Clubs Want Routledge - Charlton Want Morrison

What?
03-06-2002, 03:40 AM
Charlton are the latest club to show an interest in Clinton Morrison while Wayne Routledge is being eyed by a host of Premiership clubs.
The Addicks join Spurs, West Ham, and Southampton in the race to sign the Republic of Ireland international who is expected to leave Selhurst Park after the World Cup.
The 23-year-old striker rejected an 8million move to Sunderland earlier this year insisting he wants to remain in London.
It now looks as if the 22-goal hitman will have his pick from a number of Premiership sides who play in the country's capital once he returns from South Korea and Japan.
Meanwhile, Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea have all made enquiries for teenage winger Routledge, according to the Sunday newspapers.
The 17-year-old attacking midfielder made an impact at first-team level towards the end of last season and is now being monitored by the top-flight big-guns.
However, the promising youngster is expected to remain at Selhurst Park for the next campaign at least, as The Eagles have suggested that any bids for their starlet should begin at 1million.

Admitedly from TeamTalk, but they can ALL Bugger off!!!

pete eagle
03-06-2002, 03:49 AM
They can bugger off if they want Routledge.

and anyway it's teamtalk so it's a lot of rubbish

What?
03-06-2002, 03:52 AM
He's intelegent enough to do a Jansen and realise he will be better off here anyway. This is all because of that "The Players" programme anyway

King Tubby
03-06-2002, 04:46 PM
GO AWAY PREMIERSHIP CLUBS!!!

skeletor_80
03-06-2002, 06:37 PM
Hands off!:veryangry

Riccardo
03-06-2002, 06:42 PM
F*ck em all.

a.stew
03-06-2002, 06:47 PM
no way :veryangry

glaziers fan
03-06-2002, 07:42 PM
Teamtalk must have misprinted. Surely the bids for Routledge start at 10M? And as for Morrison, i'm hoping that he stays out of the limelight for one last assault on the Premiership with Crystal Palace. If we make it, we will have Clarke, Mullins, Popovic, Borrowdale, Gray, Routledge, Doug and Clinton!!

Jimbo ?
03-06-2002, 10:40 PM
yeah he wont be going anywhere for 1M - he will be at palace for the next 3/4 years at least

Hedgehog
04-06-2002, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by What?
The 17-year-old attacking midfielder made an impact at first-team level towards the end of last season and is now being monitored by the top-flight big-guns.

Made an impact? Didn't only play about 10 minutes total all last year? Must be really special to have made an impact in that time!

CK
04-06-2002, 01:38 PM
At this rate BlueSQ.com will be running a spread on how many players left in the squad at the start of next season:veryangry

Boris the charltonhater
05-06-2002, 01:30 AM
If those evil ****ars at Charlton think they are going to get Morrison they are bigger mutthouters than I originally thought.

Glaziers Fan - Routledge 10million? If we get offered half we should take it. I hate to say it but Routledge is destined to become another Leon McKenzie.

Jaffa
05-06-2002, 01:33 AM
10m for Routledge my arse. 1m + big appearances payements would be appropriate.

However, that is not to say I agree with the point Boris raised. How can you say he is going the way of Leon McKenzie this early in his development?

pete eagle
05-06-2002, 01:54 AM
did mckenzie play for the england u17's?

Adrian
05-06-2002, 01:54 AM
Not wishing particularly to stop this thread in its tracks, I'm not sure there's much to say here - partly because it's all been said already (even before Teamtalk's contribution) and partly because, IMHO, it's very simple:

1) Morrison needs another season in Div 1 otherwise he'd be lost in the Premiership (except at Birmingham where he can at least expect to be in the team)

2) Routledge would be very foolish to leave at this stage, just when he's breaking into a team where he's likely to be able to gain some exposure.

It.

Neckinger Eagle
05-06-2002, 02:37 AM
Adrian - you're treading on egg shells. I know from personal experience that if you dare say on the message board that Morrison isn't Premiership quality you will be declared a heretic.

glaziers fan
05-06-2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Hedgehog

Made an impact? Didn't only play about 10 minutes total all last year? Must be really special to have made an impact in that time!

He is! He's a diamond. Don't forget that! He is going to be bigger than Beckham and Owen. In fact, he is the new Gascoigne. U'll see!

glaziers fan
05-06-2002, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Jaffa
10m for Routledge my arse. 1m + big appearances payements would be appropriate.

However, that is not to say I agree with the point Boris raised. How can you say he is going the way of Leon McKenzie this early in his development?

You're an idiot! 1m is maybe the amount that teams will need to stump up if they want first refusal! Remember, this is what Lazio have on Michael Owen! When ur being monitored by Arsenal and Man u it means you are a good player, and I for one am SICK of our players being sold on the cheap. If i was chairman, i would slap a 15m price tag on him and a 20m price tag on Morrison!

Georgie Boy
05-06-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Boris
If those evil ****ars at Charlton think they are going to get Morrison they are bigger mutthouters than I originally thought.

Glaziers Fan - Routledge 10million? If we get offered half we should take it. I hate to say it but Routledge is destined to become another Leon McKenzie.

Routledge is 10 times better than Leon McKenzie. I just hope he gets a run in the first team early next season to prove it.

Jaffa
05-06-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by glaziers fan

You're an idiot! 1m is maybe the amount that teams will need to stump up if they want first refusal! Remember, this is what Lazio have on Michael Owen! When ur being monitored by Arsenal and Man u it means you are a good player, and I for one am SICK of our players being sold on the cheap. If i was chairman, i would slap a 15m price tag on him and a 20m price tag on Morrison!

He isnt worth it mate.

Remember van Nistlerooy was 19m.

Lets think, only 4m difference between established proven international goalscorer, and a 16yr old kid with 10minutes 1st team experience.

The closest reference point is Jermaine Pennant, but Pennant was more highly rated and has also failed to achieve anything of significant note as of yet.

brighton_eagle
05-06-2002, 01:29 PM
I hate to say it but Routledge is destined to become another Leon McKenzie.

Boris....I'm interested to hear what you are basing this statement on. From what I have heard, Wayne has put in some exceptional performances at club and international level. Have you seen him play much?

As for selling him, why the **** would we want to do that?? He should be a palace player for at least the next 4 years.

Dobbo
05-06-2002, 01:49 PM

In fact, he is the new Gascoigne. U'll see!

So you expect to see him on ITV's World Cup panel, struggling to put a coherent sentence together ?

King Tubby
05-06-2002, 01:51 PM

If i was chairman, i would slap a 15m price tag on him and a 20m price tag on Morrison! That's the way to do it!!:p

Beanie
05-06-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Adrian
Not wishing particularly to stop this thread in its tracks, I'm not sure there's much to say here - partly because it's all been said already (even before Teamtalk's contribution) and partly because, IMHO, it's very simple:

1) Morrison needs another season in Div 1 otherwise he'd be lost in the Premiership (except at Birmingham where he can at least expect to be in the team)

2) Routledge would be very foolish to leave at this stage, just when he's breaking into a team where he's likely to be able to gain some exposure.

It.

Agree on both counts. If either player leaves now from choice they will regret it. That doesn't mean they won't go - the sort of money they could both get if the press are right is not easy to turn down. I hope they've both got level headed advisers who make them listen to sense.

arussell
05-06-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by pete eagle
did mckenzie play for the england u17's?

No

I doubt that Routledge will be going anywhere.

Boris the charltonhater
05-06-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
Boris....I'm interested to hear what you are basing this statement on. From what I have heard, Wayne has put in some exceptional performances at club and international level. Have you seen him play much?

I've seen him play twice for the youth team and neither time did he stand out and if he is worth upto 15milion he should at least stand out in a side full of players who probably will never play first team league football. From what I have seen from him he is very lightweight and will not be able to do anything in the first division as it will prove vfar too physical for him. I hope I'm wrong but in three or four years time everyone will be saying what a disappointment he is. Remember at the age Routledge is now Owen was scoring goals for fun in the Premiership for Liverpool.

brighton_eagle
05-06-2002, 04:16 PM

I've seen him play twice for the youth team and neither time did he stand out and if he is worth upto 15milion he should at least stand out in a side full of players who probably will never play first team league football. From what I have seen from him he is very lightweight and will not be able to do anything in the first division as it will prove vfar too physical for him. I hope I'm wrong but in three or four years time everyone will be saying what a disappointment he is. Remember at the age Routledge is now Owen was scoring goals for fun in the Premiership for Liverpool.

I don't think twice is enough to make a judgement, personally. He looked small when he came on for the first team, but he should beef up a lot in the next few years. As for the 15million, of course he isn't worth anywhere near that in real terms.....but if we don't want to sell him, what is he worth??

Fair point about Owen, although burn out is a real threat from expecting too much of young players. Whose to say whether or not Owen's hamstrings would be in better shape if he had been bought through more slowly?

Beanie
05-06-2002, 05:30 PM

Remember at the age Routledge is now Owen was scoring goals for fun in the Premiership for Liverpool.

This is an amazingly feeble arguement.

Most great players weren't doing what Owen did - but then how many did even Owen score at 16? Many great players had not broken into the first team at Wayne's age. Look at Ian Wright - he wasn't even on a league clubs books, but if Wayne can do for Palace what Wright did I doubt many will complain. Wayne is not even a real striker is he? - I think he plays wide but still scores goals. Give the lad a chance to grow up. Michael Owen was an exception, and I don't hear anybody comparing Wayne with him, except you it seems.

g23
05-06-2002, 05:40 PM

We won't be offered 10M obviously, or anything near it. The lad's 17 years old. But you've completely lost it if you think there's any similarity between Routledge and McKenzie. Watching T4 Sunday clearly does not make you a good judge of players!

g23
05-06-2002, 05:41 PM
From what I have seen from him he is very lightweight and will not be able to do anything in the first division as it will prove vfar too physical for him.

Yeah, he's only about the same size as Joe Cole and playing in a less physically demanding position. Well done Boris.

Boris the charltonhater
05-06-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by g23

We won't be offered 10M obviously, or anything near it. The lad's 17 years old. But you've completely lost it if you think there's any similarity between Routledge and McKenzie. Watching T4 Sunday clearly does not make you a good judge of players!

1. I never said we would get offered 10m everyone else is.
2. I have never seen T4 but I have seen him in live action.

I hate saying this but as I am he only person who seems to realise it I have to. He is not the next big thing and if he wasn't at Palace none of you would think so.

Cleon
05-06-2002, 07:55 PM
Wayne Routledge has a great deal of promise from the limited sightings I've had of him, and his performances for the England Under-17s.

This does not make him worth 10m. Crikey - he's not even in the first team. The question is, if you were offered 1m for a totally unproven player, would you take it? Personally, I'd love him to stay, and would want Jordan to agree. If someone offer 3m however, it would be pretty close. 5m and you'd bite their hand off.

Beanie
05-06-2002, 08:51 PM
He is not the next big thing and if he wasn't at Palace none of you
would think so. [/B]

Who was it that tried to compare him to Owen then? Oh yes I remember - it was YOU!

Nobody is saying he's the next big thing - just that he's a pretty good player for his age and one of the best 16/17 year olds in England (unless of course you know more on two games than the England management for the U17s) and it would be silly to let him go if we can avoid it.

ozeagle
05-06-2002, 09:10 PM
all lick my balls if they think they'll routledge, we need at least 3 or 4 good seasons from the lad before giving anything anyway

maybe he'll pay for the new crawley stadium ??
:p

g23
05-06-2002, 11:08 PM
I hate saying this but as I am he only person who seems to realise it I have to. He is not the next big thing and if he wasn't at Palace none of you would think so.

You're too easy. Remind me why this thread is here? Oh yes, it's because, having seen him starring in a European tournament for the England U17s, a host of Premiership clubs are competing to sign him. Of course, we only think he's good because he plays for Palace.

brighton_eagle
05-06-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by g23

You're too easy. Remind me why this thread is here? Oh yes, it's because, having seen him starring in a European tournament for the England U17s, a host of Premiership clubs are competing to sign him. Of course, we only think he's good because he plays for Palace.

Evidently Boris knows more about spotting a talented player than Steve Bruce, Trevor Francis, the youth academy director and the scouts of Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea, to name a few.

:D

g23
05-06-2002, 11:30 PM
He da man.

Sir.S.C Remembered
06-06-2002, 01:42 AM
I can see Morrison staying as it is obvious that een if he was top Premiership scorer Mick would probabaly go with Duff and ROBbie Keane (although Duff is a winger). I don't think he is ambitious enough to want more than Palace considering he has the same chance making the Irish set-up at Selhurst.

As for Routledge this is total rubbish. He is a young talent and there is no way we would let him go until we absolutely had to or it was a similar situation to Clinton (big bidding).

Geezer
06-06-2002, 02:17 AM
Havent Everton slapped a 15mill price tag on that 16yr old Rooney nad hes never played a game!