PDA

View Full Version : Jordan hands boss cash fillip

pete eagle
03-06-2002, 01:48 PM
Simon Jordan has confirmed that Trevor Francis does have money to spend on new players to strengthen his Eagles squad at Selhurst Park.
However, the Palace chairman admits that fans can expect some players leaving as well, with Dean Austin recently joining US international Gregg Berhalter on the transfer list.
Francis is known to be keen on a midfielder while another striker could be on the way in, with Ade Akinbiyi set to be out until October.
Jordan said: "I think there'll be some movement both in and out. It's early days to see when and where.
"I think Trevor has got an idea of some of the players we think we need and also some of the players that we might move on.
"There'll be some activity and we are looking to strengthen but it's a timing exercise," Jordan told the Croydon Guardian.

TAK
03-06-2002, 06:19 PM
Yeah and I'm a Dutchman

King Tubby
03-06-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by TAK
Yeah and I'm a Dutchman Really?

Rash the Smash
03-06-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by TAK
Yeah and I'm a Dutchman

Do any of your Dutch mates play football?;)

Jimbo ?
03-06-2002, 10:39 PM
no real surprises! I would have been surprised if we hadnt had a change of personal before the beginning of the new season - as long as it is only gregg and dean who go - we should be in good shape for next season

glaziers fan
04-06-2002, 12:34 AM
I must admit that if Fleming and Granville turned out to be the replacements for Berthaler, I will be very pleased. As long as we hang on to Mullins and Morrison and play an attacking line-up in a 3-5-2 formation every game, we'll be in the top 2. Ipswich are the only dangers. Hopkin shud be given a free. He should also be fined wages for his failure to run and try! Cant think of any1 else, bar those 3, that needs to be moved along. Rubins should be given more of a chance from the bench this season, and Tommy shud be given a chance to shine with a run in the team. Maybe then a tall central defender should be brought in for cover in case either Popovic or Symons gets injured again. But the main (and possibly only) purchase needs to be a 3m pound midfielder. We need someone to play alongside Aki in the middle of the park. That means, as well as being ok in the tackle, he needs to have creative qualities (as Aki has none), and most importantly, he needs to be able to pass a ball. We will have a very solid defence once Francis gets the first choice back 3 playing together (as we survived an onslaught by Wolves at their place, and Symons is at least as good as Vickers), and our attackers will once again be the best in the division (with or without Marcus Stewart). But it is in midfield where all too often we lost posession, and were over-run cos of our failure to hold the ball. If we could sign a player with this in mind, we would have much more control in all the games we play. Who do u suggest? I think Michael Hughes and Chris Bart-Williams are exactly the type of players we want, although i think Michael Brown is even better, and will cut it in the Premiership when we go up next season! Make the required 3M bid now! It's ok to bid over what a player is worth occasionally, as long as you dont take too many risks. This final piece in the jigsaw might cost 3m which might be 1m more than he is worth, but at the end of the season, it might mean promtion to the Premiership which would mean 10M+ and the doubling of a lot of our players values once they prove themselves in the Premiership.

AJ
04-06-2002, 01:00 AM
3m!!!

I think Jordan probably is thinking more along the lines of a "pony":o :o

glaziers fan
04-06-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by AJ
3m!!!

If he is, then he may as well sell Mullins and Morrison now, and undo the good rebuilding effort that has gone on in the last 2 years

BUNGLE
04-06-2002, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by glaziers fan

If he is, then he may as well sell Mullins and Morrison now, and undo the good rebuilding effort that has gone on in the last 2 years

The rebuilding effort that he has personally financed?

pete eagle
04-06-2002, 02:52 AM
i can't see much in the way of big money transfers.

Gary breen would be an obvious target if he wanted to play a back 3 as he is experienced at the highest level and won't cost a penny in transfer money.

As for others, i wouldn't expect to see anything above 1.5m and even then only one or two

Daniel_Nash
04-06-2002, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by pete eagle
i can't see much in the way of big money transfers.

Gary breen would be an obvious target if he wanted to play a back 3 as he is experienced at the highest level and won't cost a penny in transfer money.

As for others, i wouldn't expect to see anything above 1.5m and even then only one or two

I'll play for you lot! Free transfer, willing to sign a long term deal.. might not be that good compared to some of your recent signings :rolleyes: but i do know that the goal is that thing at the end of the pitch with 2 side poles and one top pole!

Go on! GO ON!

pete eagle
04-06-2002, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Daniel_Nash

I'll play for you lot! Free transfer, willing to sign a long term deal.. might not be that good compared to some of your recent signings :rolleyes: but i do know that the goal is that thing at the end of the pitch with 2 side poles and one top pole!

Go on! GO ON!

why? Is the Tottenham squad too full of rubbish players to take another one:o .

Daniel_Nash
04-06-2002, 03:08 AM

why? Is the Tottenham squad too full of rubbish players to take another one:o .

Nope, i am not old enough to play for them.

pete eagle
04-06-2002, 03:21 AM

Nope, i am not old enough to play for them.

so we're building your talents then;)

Daniel_Nash
04-06-2002, 03:23 AM

so we're building your talents then;)

Other way round more like! I am coming to improve some of your existing players :p!

pete eagle
04-06-2002, 03:26 AM

Other way round more like! I am coming to improve some of your existing players :p!

if you could improve Tommy's weight, make Andrejs more stronger, Julian better at crossing, all our strikers better at heading, Aki better at passing,make Mullins more consistent and make Klink better at catching whilst making sure Hopkin leaves, Clinton stays, then i'll be happy:o

Daniel_Nash
04-06-2002, 03:30 AM

if you could improve Tommy's weight, make Andrejs more stronger, Julian better at crossing, all our strikers better at heading, Aki better at passing,make Mullins more consistent and make Klink better at catching whilst making sure Hopkin leaves, Clinton stays, then i'll be happy:o

I can do ginger fat jokes against Hopkin, bully him into leaving. "go on, cry, cry, cry!! go on!"

Tommy can come to eat with me, he will get bigger! MMm food.

Andrejs can come to the gym, and i will fight with him,.. he'll get so upset at losing that he will bulk up :D

The rest, err.. nah.

Beanie
05-06-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by AJ
3m!!!

Jordan is showing he has finally learnt at least one leason from previous close seasons - don't tell the world how much you are prepared to spend. If it is a small amount there's no point, and if it is higher then again, you don't want the selling club knowing that either.

As for the figure of 3m - I wouldn't be surprised to see him spend that, but perhaps not on one player. There have already been some possibilities at the world cup that probably wouldn't cost that much. Need to see them a bit more though.

Archiebald Leitch
09-06-2002, 01:29 AM
If Austin and Berhalter leave the money is going to have to be spent on some back up defenders....

Cleon
10-06-2002, 07:10 PM
We don't need to buy players - I suggest that there are enough decent players available on free transfers. And most of them aren't in any position to demand big wages either.

I just hope we use the money wisely. Judging by some of Francis', and some of our, previous history I doubt it.

FantasticMrFox
11-06-2002, 03:29 AM
**** off you ****!