PDA

View Full Version : Palace decide against potential player deal

Sp1Eagle
21-08-2012, 11:54 AM
http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/Palace-decide-potential-player-deal/story-16739895-detail/story.html?814848633=925494590

"We were close on one or two fronts yesterday," he said. "They didn't really happen for whatever reason as the deal wasn't suitable to us.

"There are certain players we would like to sign and we're monitoring them very closely.

"I'm very confident we will add numbers to the squad before the transfer window closes.

"How many, I'm not too sure, but we'll try and get one or two over the line, and if not, we'll look at loan deals."

He said: "I think Saturday's game (at Middlesbrough) will be a realistic target for featuring Jonathan and Paddy.

"Tonight's game would be too much of a risk for them, so they won't be taking part."

Aaroncpfc
21-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Just read this.

How could terms be unsuitable for us? We have Garvan as our creative midfielder, we have Easter upfront, we have David Wright getting game time, anything is ******* suitable.

Malarkey
21-08-2012, 12:02 PM
I wonder who they were.

The Gerry Queen
http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/Palace-decide-potential-player-deal/story-16739895-detail/story.html?814848633=925494590

I like the 'Very confident' part but not the 'If not' bit ! Either way we very much need some decent additions to the squad to make headway this year. The senior squad is only 22 strong, only 2 more than the figure the FL gave Pompey dispensation to sign players despite of their embargo.

eagle101
Lionel Messi - didn't believe he would have the physicality to cope with the Championship.

Voldo
21-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Is that a message to simply appease the fans, to ensure we're aware things are happening behind the scenes?

If so, it is a very strange way to go about it.

Anyway, let's judge Freedman when the window closes.

Big Blue Eagle
Just read this.

How could terms be unsuitable for us? We have Garvan as our creative midfielder, we have Easter upfront, we have David Wright getting game time, anything is ******* suitable.

They could have been asking wages that were too high, sign on fees/bonuses that were out of line with what we can offer, all sorts of details.

Not sure why you think we should sign anyone at any price.

Popester
Just read this.

So if, for example, Dougie is referring to Baxter and he thought the deal wasnt suitable because Baxter (unproven at any level other than youth football) wanted to be one of our top earners, would you support such a signing? Or would you rather wait a couple of weeks and pursue other options?

Jono14
21-08-2012, 12:06 PM
He really doesn't rush into decisions.

Latvian
21-08-2012, 12:07 PM
My first thought was just that ^ - still talking about Baxter!

croydonexile
21-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Probably due to the players or their clubs wanting money for their services.....

spt1978
21-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Don't think we are close to anything.

Forever Stripes
21-08-2012, 12:11 PM
This is all we hear, month in month out, deals are not suitable for us. Deals falling through. Give us a deal that is suitable soon please! :eek:

HARRY MONK
21-08-2012, 12:13 PM
joke

Big Blue Eagle
21-08-2012, 12:15 PM
joke

Why? Because you didn't know about it?

The Gerry Queen
21-08-2012, 12:15 PM
This is all we hear, month in month out, deals are not suitable for us. Deals falling through. Give us a deal that is suitable soon please! :eek:

Sometimes no information is better than some information. Reality is that this goes on all the time and isn't news really. What will be news is if we have got to the end of the window with no further additions. Emergency loans can unearth season changing gems like James Vaughan but usually tail off with duds like Frank Songo'o. If we are going for more loans they need to be minimum 6th months and preferably year long like Aaron Martin.

PauLo
21-08-2012, 12:16 PM
In all honesty, I couldn't care less about deals that don't happen. This just seems like management are trying to appease the impatient morons on here/twitter/FB etc. that are getting their knickers in a twist.

PalaceBhoy
21-08-2012, 12:18 PM

Too much of this and clubs just won't want to bother entering negotiations with us as we will be labelled time wasters.

Aaroncpfc
21-08-2012, 12:20 PM
They could have been asking wages that were too high, sign on fees/bonuses that were out of line with what we can offer, all sorts of details.

So if, for example, Dougie is referring to Baxter and he thought the deal wasnt suitable because Baxter (unproven at any level other than youth football) wanted to be one of our top earners, would you support such a signing? Or would you rather wait a couple of weeks and pursue other options?

I knew replying straight away after reading the article was bad idea.

In those circumstances, yes, if they are demanding Ambrose's wages/bonuses when you consider how well he had to play in his first season for us to get those wages, they should be laughed out the door. At the same time you have to take in to consideration what kind of moron would demand to be one of our top earners when you consider the game Dougie's been playing all summer.

I know footballers aren't known for their brains, but I can't imagine every player available being that stupid.

spt1978
21-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Might be best if DF stays quiet for abit, already too more negativity around Palace and he never stays anything positive.

917L
21-08-2012, 12:25 PM

Aree with this, however I'm not sure why Dougie is telling us that a couple of deals were close but didnt happen

Whats the point?

scro
21-08-2012, 12:27 PM
It would be interesting to know how many players we have had bids accepted for and how many we have had turned down. It would also be interesting to know how many players have rejected how much we are prepared to pay them.

We won't find these things out of course but thats the only way to tell if we are being realistic or not.

Dingle
21-08-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm guessing one of them was Bolasie. No idea on the other one though.

Windsor_Eagle
21-08-2012, 12:32 PM
At least any players won't be 'panic buys' because it doesn't appear that Dougie is giving into demands even though he is reaching the point of working against the clock.

Whether people like it or not - I don't see our transfer policy being much different whilst we are reliant on the owners having to cover losses. People may be bored of hearing it, but if endless supplies of the stuff is not there, then the money spent on each and every deal needs to be properly and sustainably spent. Its not 'sexy' or 'exciting' (as CPFC2010 put it) but sadly, it is essential.

Perhaps telling the press this won't be a great message to hear but it seems that criticisms will emerge because Dougie is either being too candid or not candid enough!

Owngoal
21-08-2012, 12:35 PM
This is his way of trying to appease the disgruntled supporters who want to see some incoming and not just outgoing, sadly patience is thin and it is being taken negatively.

Whatever happened to the Bristol Rovers interest in Dorman? Lawrence saying he'd had a call about it months ago? That would be good news

Windsor_Eagle
21-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Aree with this, however I'm not sure why Dougie is telling us that a couple of deals were close but didnt happen

Whats the point?

Perhaps because he is still keen to sign the one or two that didn't happen but wants to make it out as though 'meh, we're not that fussed, we will move on'.

That could either be aimed at the selling club who want more or the players agent who wants more. Let's look at the Bolasie target as an example. We won't pay over 300k. City want 500k. Bolasie wants 4k / week, we want to pay 3k / week. There is a stalemate. Should it not be broken, BC are stuck with a player who has handed in a transfer request who may then disrupt some harmony in the squad - and have potentially lost 300k. Bolasie remains stuck at City where he doesn't want to be - and may rue not accepting our offer and move his career on. *

Just an example of why giving out that message via the press may have been decided upon.

*Please note that the figures and personnel are made up and is not reflective of any actual happenings.

Tim
21-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Is that a message to simply appease the fans, to ensure we're aware things are happening behind the scenes?

If so, it is a very strange way to go about it.

Anyway, let's judge Freedman when the window closes.

More mixed messages from DF. I`m prepared to keep the faith until the end of the transfer window but if we have`nt signed anyone, or won a game by then, I`ll be worried!

budgie
21-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Oh well, if we leave it till the last day, atleast it's only 9 potential points we will have thrown away.

I do hope we're not left regretting this in May.

Psychokiller
21-08-2012, 12:42 PM
If one of these is the striker I heard we were in for then it's a real "kiss my teeth" moment.

Zohar Returns
21-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Lets just let him get on with his job. Do you really think Dougie does not have the best interests of Crystal Palace at heart? I'm sorry but if you think he is working to any other agenda than ensuring the club remains solvent whilst trying his best to improve the squad without bankrupting us then you are mad!

Asagaya_Eagle
21-08-2012, 12:44 PM

Whats the point?

Maybe he was asked

CPFCLiam
21-08-2012, 12:45 PM
If one of these is the striker I heard we were in for then it's a real "kiss my teeth" moment.

Who might that be?

spt1978
21-08-2012, 12:46 PM

Meaning he is a good or bad player?

SupaZandeR
21-08-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm guessing one of them was Bolasie. No idea on the other one though.

Doubt it.

In the SLP today Dougie said we are not in for him..

Rasheed Harkouk
21-08-2012, 12:50 PM
I was close to winning the lottery on Saturday, but it wasn't the right deal for me so i didn't bother.

Psychokiller
21-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Meaning he is a good or bad player?
Good. Very good IMHO.

Lion
21-08-2012, 12:57 PM

Whats the point?

Lets look at this another way...

If Dougie says nothing - fans moan that they are not being told anything
So Dougie says this - and fans moan that he should keep his mouth shut

If Dougie is called by a journalist (which is what has probably happened) he could say that he doesn't want to comment, but instead he is open with the fans about what has been happening.

I know I've been vocal since the Watford game supporting Dougie but it seems that for a certain set of fans on the BBS he can't do anything right. It's looking more like a witch hunt every day, yet we still have a bit of time before the window closes and we've got time for loans after.

I am sure that if CPFC2010 had lost faith in Dougie then they would have done something about it by now - so why can't we just trust them and trust our manager for at least a few more weeks? Don't forget that both potential new and current players read this site and it can't be helping.

I know it's a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion but just wish more people would get behind our team - we have some great players and we should be excited about the season ahead at this stage rather than calling for our managers head after one game.

:confused:

nathe
21-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Good. Very good IMHO.

Ross McCormack? ;)

spt1978
21-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Good. Very good IMHO.

Big Calvin on his way back! :lux: :lux: :lux:

Stavros 69
21-08-2012, 01:01 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzz

100% Palace
21-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Ross McCormack? ;)

David Nugent

Steve RJS
21-08-2012, 01:15 PM
So we still haven't signed anyone then.

southwesteagle
21-08-2012, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=Windsor_Eagle]Perhaps because he is still keen to sign the one or two that didn't happen but wants to make it out as though 'meh, we're not that fussed, we will move on'.

That could either be aimed at the selling club who want more or the players agent who wants more. Let's look at the Bolasie target as an example. We won't pay over 300k. City want 500k. Bolasie wants 4k / week, we want to pay 3k / week. There is a stalemate. Should it not be broken, BC are stuck with a player who has handed in a transfer request who may then disrupt some harmony in the squad - and have potentially lost 300k. Bolasie remains stuck at City where he doesn't want to be - and may rue not accepting our offer and move his career on. *

Just an example of why giving out that message via the press may have been decided upon.

I just hope the quality of the player we are looking at is better than Bolasie....I have the misfortune of seeing him play and he would not on talent alone improve our team......add to that the fact that he has created disharmony in the BCFC ranks and has a very demanding brother I would hope that this was a deal wewould never do on any terms........talent identification has yet to be proved as one of DF strengths..........arguably the best 2 signings of his tenure were through judgemnts primarily made by other people...Parr (Iversen) Jedinak (Popovic)

Barney Gumble
21-08-2012, 01:19 PM

do tell you old flirt

Chris K
21-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Mad how 2 years ago pretty much the universal hope here was we would use the lessons learnt to go on to build a sustainable football club.

2 years on a Palace hero is trying to do just that and people are now saying to pretty much sign anyone, at any price

AJ8
21-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Ability at other clubs means nothing if they improve their game here. How many times have we seen that?

Kai
21-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Maybe they weren't fit enough?

FraserH
21-08-2012, 01:29 PM

I would read that as "we tried to buy someone but they cost too much or we couldn't afford their wages".

BBK
21-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Maybe they weren't fit enough?
Maybe their greedy agents wanted a big fee for themselves and the player and we told them to **** off.

FraserH
21-08-2012, 01:30 PM
So we still haven't signed anyone then.

Nope, just another story about missing out on people as it wasn't right for us.

I hope we do find someone who IS right for us as time is running out.

CPFC_R_GREAT
21-08-2012, 01:31 PM
In all honesty, I couldn't care less about deals that don't happen. This just seems like management are trying to appease the impatient morons on here/twitter/FB etc. that are getting their knickers in a twist.

:p

kolinkins
21-08-2012, 01:32 PM
We can't have been close if the deal wasn't right. It wouldn't have got to the position of being close.

Not sure the point of Dougie's comments here.

Biggineagle
21-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Could it be loans that we didnt want to pay all / part of players wages ??

thefox
21-08-2012, 01:36 PM

Whats the point?

How to sell season tickets 101.

Before announcing you're actually signing Jack Shit.

Mong!
21-08-2012, 01:37 PM
We can't have been close if the deal wasn't right. It wouldn't have got to the position of being close.

Not sure the point of Dougie's comments here.

Message to the fans to say we're working hard on trying to get players in.

AJ
21-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Just read this.

I think you answered your own question. What the club and me(and hopefully you) are players who aren't worth to the team what they are being paid. Trying to find established Championship players who want less than 5k a week is becoming very rare.

Palace Don
21-08-2012, 01:44 PM

Tease :)

Palace Don
21-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Good. Very good IMHO.

Premier league?

L'head Eagle
21-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I can`t wait for this transfer crap to be over, I fear it will go on and on through the loan window. CPFC2010 should just say no money sorry. The best of Palace is against all odds. My favorate moments have been when we have faced the imposible and it is when the atmosphere on matchday has been at its best even when we are losing. We are skint but we have owners who I trust, first time in my 30 years of my Palace love affair. Lets just get on with it. No signings are better than crap signings.

Duke
21-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Premier league?

You're having a laugh

rossi71987
21-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Maybe we are too tight on our budgets? I reckon we make an offer the reject we say 'no'

KP'S Nuts
21-08-2012, 01:59 PM
It's a sellers market now they know we are desperate all prices will double.

Windsor_Eagle
21-08-2012, 02:05 PM

For some. For others where players will not sign a new contract now is the time that they'll get the best price. This becomes a buyers market for those players.

herts_palace
21-08-2012, 02:18 PM

Don't agree it's still a buyers market. There are loads of players out there.

AJ
21-08-2012, 02:20 PM

I disagree as there will be a number of decent players without contracts in 2 weeks time, there will also be a number of clubs who needed to sell and haven't that need to make something happen. If nothing else Palace is still a solvent club and sadly, I think there are others who are not.

palacemaniac
21-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Extremely negative manager both in the way we play and the way he addresses the press/fans.

SEEPEEEFFSEE
21-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Extremely negative manager both in the way we play and the way he addresses the press/fans.

Yep, when Dougie first became Manager, he spoke so well, said the right things and generally gave off a good impression.
How things have changed.

cp eagles
21-08-2012, 02:42 PM
I agree he does come across very dourer when being interviewed just worries me that's what he is like with the players.

jabber
21-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Hang on, I'll get the shovel.

Aaroncpfc
21-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Any idea on who the player is?

I hope it wasn't Bolasie, he would give us some much needed width.

Jim Cannon
21-08-2012, 03:06 PM
My first thought was just that ^ - still talking about Baxter!
Looks more than likely

AJ8
21-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Probably Taylor or Baldock.

Palace Don
21-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Taylor?

cpfcfan1
21-08-2012, 03:38 PM
paul furlong

Owngoal
21-08-2012, 03:40 PM
We could get Shipps back and park him rather than the whole team in front of our goal.....

NYEagle
21-08-2012, 03:43 PM
But what happened to his in-depth player study and having 6 players lined up for every position? They can't all be demanding too high a wage or not fit enough.

Wayne-o
21-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Any idea on who the player is?

I hope it wasn't Bolasie, he would give us some much needed width.

As much 'width' as KG?

croydonexile
21-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Theres a post somewhere on here that Df stated he'd never moved for Bolasie ?

Kidofwonder
21-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Dougie Freedman: the source of all doom and gloom

Gathers54
21-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Dougie Freedman: the source of all doom and gloom

I am glad we are actively looking at and for players. However, do we really need to hear about all the close signings and players we decided against?

cockles
21-08-2012, 04:27 PM
"Palace decide against potential player deal"

Is that really a headline?

Gathers54
21-08-2012, 04:41 PM
"Palace decide against potential player deal"

Is that really a headline?

Rubbish isn't it. Obviously ran out of decent stories

the kooch
21-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Last player we signed was wilb and that was like 6 weeks ago was it not

dmf73
21-08-2012, 04:47 PM
That'll be an end to the interest in Scott Allan then!

stonepark eagle
21-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Probably Taylor or Baldock.
Based on what?

SpikeyMatt
21-08-2012, 04:53 PM
So the news is there is no news?

I see...

CPFC_DAVE77
21-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Last player we signed was wilb and that was like 6 weeks ago was it not

Yea. Unlike you I am glad we are not building another team of Ifill's, Kennedy's, Green's, Hughes', Craig's etc...

the kooch
21-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Yea. Unlike you I am glad we are not building another team of Ifill's, Kennedy's, Green's, Hughes', Craig's etc...
Dream team

AJ8
21-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Taylor?

Paul Taylor.

Based on what?

We've shown an interested in them. To clarify this was in response to what PK said.

rhynoeagle
21-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Am I the only one thinking that the media are trying really hard to turn us on Freedman?

Malarkey
21-08-2012, 05:26 PM
If it was an attacking player, e.g. Taylor or Allan, oh dear.

the kooch
21-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Am I the only one thinking that the media are trying really hard to turn us on Freedman?
Them and r. emerson

mushroom
21-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Wise you are, young grasshopper.

Mr Palace
Why is Freedman even bothering to reveal this as it only serves to wind people up. Better that he says nothing until we are in a position to announce some signings. It is an awful non news story...

Being close but not signing anyone is like having my dick within six feet of Kelly Brook: doesn't mean I was close to nailing her.

Get these bodies over the line Dougie...

Owngoal
Them and r. emerson
One has gone......

Deadpool
21-08-2012, 06:01 PM

You don't mean Michael Hughes?

mushroom
21-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Why is Freedman even bothering to reveal this as it only serves to wind people up. Better that he says nothing until we are in a position to announce some signings. It is an awful non news story...

Being close but not signing anyone is like having my dick within six feet of Kelly Brook: doesn't mean I was close to nailing her.

Get these bodies over the line Dougie...
It only winds up a certain type or person. The majority of fans don't get wound up by it at all.
(imo)

JonProgrammeSeller
I look at it this way, while it is worrying that we aren't seemingly getting the players over the line we also don't want to panic buy. Dougie seems to be looking for players that fit in to the club ethos, want to play for the club and also not asking for over the odds demands (which these days does seem to be the norm for players and agents). As much as it is annoying, we certainly don't want him to panic buy.

Seaside Eagle
You don't mean Michael Hughes?

Jeff. Michael was fantastic.

Mr Palace
21-08-2012, 06:18 PM
It only winds up a certain type or person. The majority of fans don't get wound up by it at all.
(imo)

It's just pointless. It's always - we're close; we're going to sign a player next week, and it never happens. And they wonder why it irritates fans when signings aren't delivered.

Anyway, roll on the end of the window and then we can put a stop to this misery. Until the loan market opens up...god help us.

rhiannapaul
21-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Scott Sinclair as he wont get in the City side for a while will he

CedarEagle
21-08-2012, 06:44 PM
We're skint is probably the reason no-one is coming EVEN on loan.

croydonexile
21-08-2012, 06:47 PM
I was really hoping Baldock would come on loan or even permanent but looks as if he's going to Bristol city. Was he one that we decided against yesterday?

mushroom
21-08-2012, 06:53 PM
We're skint is probably the reason no-one is coming EVEN on loan.
Can you back that statement up?

glaziers fan
21-08-2012, 08:47 PM
I was really hoping Baldock would come on loan or even permanent but looks as if he's going to Bristol city. Was he one that we decided against yesterday?

This.

jempie
21-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Well he was paraded tonight by Brizzle, so its very possible to have been him.

LeeH
21-08-2012, 09:37 PM
I feel a bit like this same transfer line has been spun out every transfer window since the Dowie era - it makes you feel like something in being mulled over, only for a damp squib come deadline day.

And "I'm very confident", then afterwards "If not" - doesnt fill me with joy at the moment.